Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets (36982 Views)

Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News / Nigeria Medical Association Explains Why Doctors Are Leaving The Country / My Thoughts About Nigeria Medical Doctors. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by buffalowings: 8:21pm On Mar 26, 2017
emmasege:
Your experience is the same as those young, intelligent and productive scholars in the academia. Professors who last conducted any meaningful research more than 20 or 30 years ago, are retained in the system just because they have not attained the retirement age of 70 years. And this is why younger Nigerians who go abroad for postgraduate programs never want to come back home to lecture in Nigerian universities because they are afraid of some wizards who may kill their careers out of jealousy.

Setting retirement age at 70 for professors and 65 for non-academics is one of the worst mistakes of the obasanjo/yaradua regimes, and it is selfish on the part of ASUU, NASU or SSANU. The funny thing is that some of them are content collecting salaries till 65 or 70 while their children are jobless and still collect allowance from them after graduation. If government is serious about creating jobs, let them revisit this retirement age of 70 for profs and 65 for non-academics, and watch how jobs will be created in the next 5 years. The good thing about such reversal is that fresh blood with innovative ideas will be injected into the system.

sorry bro
I can't help but laugh
but you understand that people reduce their age on this kind of thing
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by AngelicBeing: 8:21pm On Mar 26, 2017
Heavance:
God, what was my previous life offence that actually brought me to Nigeria?
If doctors are complaining of no jobs, then what can others talk about? Who will then help to treat the sick?
I just tire for this country that doesn't believe in playing for the next generation

You were sent from Heaven to Nigeria to experience hell on earth, in your next life, you will be an Australian or Danish citizen grin grin. Lol, but l agree with the points you raised, the country is definitely in chaos and has been rap.ed without a condom by useless politicians wink
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by hahn(m): 8:23pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ishilove:

This is highly unusual of you.

Back to the topic. Nigeria is royally fvcked. Fvcked anally without grease. Fvcked in every aspect. Fvcked without a ray of hope. Fvcked because we are a country filled with wicked and satanic people who don't want good for their fellow men.

And all the gods we keep praying to are doing nothing about it
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by donprinyo(m): 8:24pm On Mar 26, 2017
Most people here are too myopic,. Sorry if u find it offensive. This is de main thing called corruption. It's everywhere in our way of life in dis country. A wise man said dat stealing is not corruption but a crime.

2 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 26, 2017
One of the best doctors have ever had used WebMD and one online medical dictionary like that for a very simple issue. She is not a Nigerian. She is white and does not live in Nigeria.

Older doctors can be very annoying, rude and incompetent as younger doctors..Speaking from experience

ekems2017:
I support you in this one. Some of them are so annoying. (apology to the good ones) They don't even know what they are doing. They bribe their way through. Imagine you complaining of stomach pains and a doctor is either googling or checking the text book in front of him or her to know the drugs to prescribe. I support the older doctors. Pls continue to hold on for us till 70yrs for this one. The rot in this younger doctors is too much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by AngelicBeing: 8:24pm On Mar 26, 2017
hahn:

And all the gods we keep praying to are doing nothing about it
Hian, you again, where is my cane grin grin

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by buffalowings: 8:25pm On Mar 26, 2017
Drabrah:
Pls won't anybody raise alarm abt d sale of form in FMC, Öwö?
How can they sell forms 2yrs ago, refuse to call for interview let alone pick anybody (even wen we know it's jst formalty) & then place advert for sale of forms again!
This is ridiculous!

are you pretending you don't know how things work at owo

forms are always on sale if you know who to meet
I remember when I wanted to apply there I was told there was no forms
but two of my friends got their hands on the application forms and we're accepyed

t
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by buffalowings: 8:25pm On Mar 26, 2017
Drabrah:
Pls won't anybody raise alarm abt d sale of form in FMC, Öwö?
How can they sell forms 2yrs ago, refuse to call for interview let alone pick anybody (even wen we know it's jst formalty) & then place advert for sale of forms again!
This is ridiculous!

are you pretending you don't know how things work at owo

forms are always on sale if you know who to meet
I remember when I wanted to apply there I was told there were no forms
but two of my friends got their hands on the application forms and we're accepted
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by ekems2017(f): 8:26pm On Mar 26, 2017
I am not saying it becos I want to comment. I am saying out of experience. It has made me stop using younger doctors. Though not all but I can tell you most of them do not know anything. But the funniest thing is that this ones are the lucky ones to get the jobs.

Jozprecious:
ah ah madam. it can never be this bad. a doctor Google or check textbook before you? abeg talk another thing jor

2 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by DandyWalker(m): 8:26pm On Mar 26, 2017
ibroh22:

nawa o,,, but they said nurses are well paid than doctors in USA,,travel out na
never believe that crap. Doctors are the highest paid professionals in the USA , better than even the "oil" engineers, google it.

3 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by KingyKing: 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2017
dirtymoney:
I used to ignorantly envy doctors till my bro graduated from med school. He did his house job in one of the best federal government owned hospitals, went for NYSC and his hustle started. For over 3 years now he has not been able to secure a spot for his residency. There is no part of this country he has not penetrated. Today, he is in Ibadan, tomorrow Jos, next week Yola, Calabar, Benin... He works in 2 hospitals, 12 hours each. We get to see eachother only on Sundays. With this sef, his case is even better. Many of his friends who work in private clinics and earn as little as 60k per month. Some have to combine two clinics just to make 6 figures. The profession has since lost its name and respect.
But which profession sef still has value in this country? Lawyers are even the worse sef. Lawyers in Abuja are used as secretaries and errand boys/girls. You see then running up and down in banks all day to make CAC/NBA payments for their bosses and associates. Seems secretarial function has become part of law practice. What would you say about engineers who don't even have where to do the errand runnings
Truth is... The system is all so messed up.
True.
Doctors at my side earn 70k.
Legit.

The hustle to get housejob/internship nko?
Some doctors go 1-2years hunting for housejob in hospitals round Nigeria, yet nothing.. and would finally settle for Supra.
Everything is a mess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by buffalowings: 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2017
daretodiffer:
One of the best doctors have ever had used WebMD and one online medical dictionary like that for a very simple issue. She is not a Nigerian. She is white and does not live in Nigeria.

Older doctors can be very annoying, rude and incompetent as younger doctors..Speaking from experience

use webmd at your own peril
a site where everything will give you cancer

a word is enough for the wise
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by okechuks22: 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2017
Heavance:
If doctors are complaining of no jobs, then what can others talk about? Who will then help to treat the sick?
I just tire for this country that doesn't believe in playing for the next generation
our prayer point should be God pls brake Nigeria cause any body expecting a Messiah to Chang this country should wait till the second coming of Jesus christ

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by hahn(m): 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2017
AngelicBeing:

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by omogin(f): 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2017
The Cmds especially that of Benin teaching hospital are the people funding the ministers of health. They now determine the direction of the health sector. The IGR is what matters to them. You can rant all you want
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by ekems2017(f): 8:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
Our experience differ though. But I prefer the older ones.

daretodiffer:

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by AngelicBeing: 8:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
[quote author=hahn post=54975657][/quote] l will flog you again if you post that nonsense grin grin grin
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
Do you have problems with reading and understanding? Read my post again, this time with your eyes wide open!!!

buffalowings:

use webmd at your own peril
a site where everything will give you cancer

a word is enough for the wise
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Menzy86(m): 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2017
Angeleena:
smh....a doc is complaining.. then what would you say of the nurses??doctors are flexing full time,they don't take doctors for granted, nurses would embark on warning strike,even enter main strike,from now till eternity, yet nothing come out..but doctors just warning strike, is enuf..most hospitals have doctors stations, but nurses,theirs is pathetic.. in fact resident doctors, are bring paid,soo well,compared to the nurses,sometimes medical students, are being paid,even when they Neva smell their final MB exams...a fresh doctor, earns higher than a nurse,that's in the system for several donkey years, whereas these nurses,do the main jobs..have seen a doc,that can't fix simple cannula..so guy,ur case holds no water,in the case of doctors and nurses,monkey dey work, baboons dey chop.
Anty are you a nurse?

2 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by shams040(m): 8:32pm On Mar 26, 2017
Nt only d medical profession is affected, it include all oda professionals too. May God help Nigeria.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 26, 2017
I do too but I don't share the same bias you share.

Don't you also think that these most older doctors merely have experience than younger ones? But then one literally killed someone I used to know and the other almost ruined my brother's life.

ekems2017:
Our experience differ though. But I prefer the older ones.

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by buffalowings: 8:34pm On Mar 26, 2017
one area of scams in our hospitals is the recruitment of hos

say they are supposed to hire 50
well they will hire 25 as first batch

some months after
they will hire the other 25

in essence they hired 50.
but the money meant to be paid for those not employed in the first batch is food for the powers that be in the hospital management

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Kpakorich: 8:36pm On Mar 26, 2017
If for any reason anybody ask me to go work in Nigeria after spending sleepless nights reading Wf Gannong to Kumar and Clark plus extra stress thunder wey go fire that person no get location or name.
I have two friends with different stories
One earns less than 300k monthly forming work9ja and the other 4mil monthly working in Chicago then you go tell me say make i work for Naija, i dey craze??
With no light sef, NEPA fit take light in the middle of surgery. Abeggy i no dey work

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Saheed9: 8:36pm On Mar 26, 2017
Angeleena:
smh....a doc is complaining.. then what would you say of the nurses??doctors are flexing full time,they don't take doctors for granted, nurses would embark on warning strike,even enter main strike,from now till eternity, yet nothing come out..but doctors just warning strike, is enuf..most hospitals have doctors stations, but nurses,theirs is pathetic.. in fact resident doctors, are bring paid,soo well,compared to the nurses,sometimes medical students, are being paid,even when they Neva smell their final MB exams...a fresh doctor, earns higher than a nurse,that's in the system for several donkey years, whereas these nurses,do the main jobs..have seen a doc,that can't fix simple cannula..so guy,ur case holds no water,in the case of doctors and nurses,monkey dey work, baboons dey chop.
I strongly disagree ma'am. they both have a well delineated pattern of work to do. have you ever gone through a doctor's case note /case report?

2 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 26, 2017
Temidayo9:
Most of Doctors work re bn done by God in churches.
Get sense small na
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Menzy86(m): 8:42pm On Mar 26, 2017
obamd:
This is not exactly news, it's been on for a very long time.
Every 20-30yrs, there's usually an exodus of skilled Medical workers out of Nigeria.

It was once Saudi Arabia, and Nigerian doctors made so much money then. They came back and bought houses in Ikeja GRA, ikoyi and many other investments.

This time, it's the worst exodus that has ever happened. Like someone else said, one day people will go to hospitals and won't find doctors anymore.

Last November, 150 Nigerian doctors wrote the UK medical licencing exam (PLAB), this march, there were 400. By November, there will be at least a thousand. Meanwhile, we churn out just about a thousand doctors from our medical schools yearly so you might argue that the impact won't be felt but hey... The good guys have left.
These figures exclude those who've
So there's a list of countries Nigerian doctors are going to.. UK, USA, Australia, Canada, Qatar, Germany, Saudi Arabia, UAE.
Basically, anywhere outside this country is just fine.

I don't think there's an immediate solution as the government can't afford to pay the kind of money the doctors get paid outside here.

Besides finaincial gratification, there's a better Career progression, better opportunities for research, and a generally better quality of life. You can have brain space to do more productive thinking other than buying fuel for generator and difficulty in doing business.

As we speak, it is easier for a Nigerian doctor to get residency placement in the UK and USA than in Nigeria. As a matter of fact, there's nothing like Merit in the recruitment process.

Way forward, there's need to reform some sectors in Nigeria. Even if everything collapses, Education and health shouldn't chash.

God bless Nigeria

As u may well agree, edu, health and EVERYTHING in this nation is dead. Even defence where valour should be d first criterium for recruitment has been bastardized. We are a nation where fools rule therefore we suffer d consequences. Doctors should even thank their stars. My immediate elder bro is a senior reg. He works at least 18hrs dailt to modestly cater for his family of four. Pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by HENRY940: 8:43pm On Mar 26, 2017
dirtymoney:
I used to ignorantly envy doctors till my bro graduated from med school. He did his house job in one of the best federal government owned hospitals, went for NYSC and his hustle started. For over 3 years now he has not been able to secure a spot for his residency. There is no part of this country he has not penetrated. Today, he is in Ibadan, tomorrow Jos, next week Yola, Calabar, Benin... He works in 2 hospitals, 12 hours each. We get to see eachother only on Sundays. With this sef, his case is even better. Many of his friends who work in private clinics and earn as little as 60k per month. Some have to combine two clinics just to make 6 figures. The profession has since lost its name and respect.
But which profession sef still has value in this country? Lawyers are even the worse sef. Lawyers in Abuja are used as secretaries and errand boys/girls. You see then running up and down in banks all day to make CAC/NBA payments for their bosses and associates. Seems secretarial function has become part of law practice. What would you say about engineers who don't even have where to do the errand runnings
Truth is... The system is all so messed up.

On point
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by LuchieLuch: 8:43pm On Mar 26, 2017
That's a huge lie. I am about to graduate with my nursing degree in the US and nurses only make about 30% of what a doctor makes. Stop spreading fake news!

ibroh22:

nawa o,,, but they said nurses are well paid than doctors in USA,,travel out na

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by ioreth69(f): 8:45pm On Mar 26, 2017
Temidayo9:
Most of Doctors work re bn done by God in churches.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 26, 2017
AngelicBeing:
Lol, that image tho cheesy
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by beblessed(f): 8:47pm On Mar 26, 2017
Heavance:
I just tire for this country that doesn't believe in planing for the next generation

Hahaha. Na who you wrong? Choooi, naija have mercy on your children.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by AngelicBeing: 8:49pm On Mar 26, 2017
adepeter26:

Lol, that image tho cheesy
The Olokpa is my friend, Nairaland contracted me to use the guy to flog silly comments and the olokpa is doing a great job, he flogs sense into so many members who post rubbish, he wont flog you though because you are a gentle guy, where is my olokpa friend come and say hi to adepeter26 wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can Salt Water Prevent Pregnancy? / Muazu Brahji Dies At COVID-19 Isolation Centre In Yobe / Minister Of Health Was Previously Sacked For Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.