Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested (11096 Views)

Boko Haram Kingpins Busted And Arrested By Soldiers In Borno State. Photos / DSP Alamieyeseigha For Burial / Gov. Amaechi Slams DSP Alamieyeseigha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 15, 2005
my brother, the sad thing is he is probably not the only one. soon this country will be one big private estate owned only by the politicians with citizens as their slaves!
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 6:30pm On Dec 15, 2005
YOU THIS ONO MAN AGAIN!
DSP's friend.
Sensible people will hit you soon.
Am coming back again
I AM SURE NEXT TIME U'LL BRING SOMETHING UP ON HIS WIFE, KIDS ETC
We want to discuss progress in our Country DEFINITELY NOT MEN OF YESTERDAYS

OLOYE Seun, where are you?
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ono(m): 8:01am On Dec 16, 2005
How in the world are we going to progress if we are retrogressing already! I don't know how some people reason.

I will not answer Akolawole. Let's wait for those who are the real progressives in the country to contribute to this matter. It's good to remain silent at times.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 12:14pm On Dec 16, 2005
You better don't respond to my comment ELSE proper progressive on this forum will hit u like they did in your previous post.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Hndholder(m): 3:03pm On Dec 16, 2005
is the man still in NIGERIA
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by frankguy: 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2005
The issue of Alamieyeseigha has been a touchy one since it started.The federal government subistituted fresh charges in a bid to see that ' justice is not only done, but that it must be seen to have been done '.Wonderful aspiration and i most honestly want to beleive that this will be so.But in doing justice,a pertinent question need be asked,on what basis or to whose favour is this justice to be done.Is it in the intrest of Nigerians or to a particular set of Nigerians? Ono has said that the allegations may be trumped up.Indeed,though hard to beleive,it should be pointed out that the judicial system which we practice assumes that everyone is innocent till proved guilty.On that basis,i may agree with Ono that the allegations are trumpped up till the govenment proves it's case.If there is anything which at present can be proved against the impeached governor,it is the fact that he jumped bail.This however is a secondary issue to that of corruption with which the federal government is charging him because if the charges of money laundering are fabricated,then that of bail will not have risen in normal circumstances.However,i hope that as the court has said,'that justice is not only done, but that it must be seen to have been done'.The next issue is whose justice?I am sure that all Nigerians will agree with me that Alamieyeseigha is not the most disgraceful [if these charges are proved against him] person that happens to be or have walked down the corridors of power in recent times.For instance,the Tafa example exists.He was imprisoned for six months,[four according to the prison calender] for swindling Nigerians and in the process also endangered lives and property.If going by that example,Alamieyeseigha pleads guilty and bargains,then he will go off with this sentence after all the noise.Will this be justice?If it is for the government,i am sure that the millions of people whom where deprived in one way or the other because of his actions will hardly classify it as such.More curious is the fact also that this self styled anti corruption government still has in it's midst elements worse by all standards to Alamieyeseigha.Imagine a person like Chris Uba,the world acclaimed kidnapper and arsonist[or did he not commit all those?]After being expelled by the PDP about a year ago,was about four weeks ago made a member of the board of trustees of the same party that had once deemed it fit to expel him.For clarity's sake,a member of a board of trustees of any organisation is meant to be a person with impecable character.We know for a fact though it has not been proved in a court of law that Chris Uba looted most of the funds in Anambra state under the former dispensation,kidnapped the present governor of the same state [who would not play ball with him on this occassion]and forced him to sign a resignation letter,and also burnt down buildings which were put up with public funds.For all these crimes if he is tried and found guilty,he may probably plea bargain for the looting like Tafa and possibly like Alamieyeseigha will do and go away with six months,but for kidnapping he will get live imprisonment,arson live imprisonment and for revolting against a duly elected representative of a state,he will be tried for treason which is punishable by death.It is a good thing that he was not tried,if he had been the PDP would have lost one of it's most noble and notable patrons [sorry members]Let's come back to the ruling party,if they are so benevolent to accomodate the likes of Uba,what stops them from accomodating Alamieyeseigha?I hope this is not derivation politics at our expense.The notion of justice demands that likes be treated alike,if for the federal govenment it is justice for Alamieyeseigha to be brougth to book for the public, justice can only be seen to be done when all the people invovled in one kind of corruption or the other which we at least know are brougth to book.Contrary to what the govenment may beleive,we know and we are watching.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 2:29am On Dec 17, 2005
Frankguy

Did we even have any political party now? No ideology, nothing. Gone are the days in the second republic, when we have party discipline et la.

My view may be different from other people, I don't mind even if he was jailed for just 24 hours, as long as all his LOOT is completely withdrawn, his name tarnished, his professional CERTIFICATE withdrawn, his position lost, and all money kept abroad is returned NOT TO NIGERIA BUT BAYELSANS ONLY.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by drbigdaddyg(m): 10:23am On Dec 17, 2005
Visit www.sunnewsonline.com (today). Read through Prof. Wole Sonyinka's view on Nigerian administration titled "One-man rule looms".
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2005
It is no more news that Nigerian government had procure new Passport for the former governor of Bayelsa state, Governor General if Ijaw nation, D.S.P. Alamieyeseigha.
Now, application had been made at British High Commission for entry visa to UK. Please read http://odili.net/news/source/2005/dec/16/403.html

I am of the opinion that if eventually he faced British Court and jailed for six months, he will then apply for political asylum which will allow him to stay in England.

By so doing, he will escape the punishment in Nigeria, enjoys his loot to the later.

Honourable members, what do you think about this?
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by mingiix: 5:30am On Dec 20, 2005
A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by beyonce1.

View the reply at: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-7259.128.html#bot

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=notify;topic=7259.0

Regards,
The Nairaland Forum Team.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ono(m): 8:38am On Dec 20, 2005
@mingiix:
Let me give you another blow, like I did to davidylan! I believe he's yet to recover from that blow. And I believe you(mingiix) will go down flat, after I might have given you a technical knockout!

1) You are a fraud: How? It is impossible for an indigene of a state to serve in (his/her) state of origin. We know this from status quo ante in NYSC procedures. You must be one of those who, when you attend a job interview, you cannot defend your claim that you did NYSC. Since you claimed you served in Bayelsa, and you are a Bayelsan, my first impression about you is that you are a rogue!

With that, I conclude that all your outbursts is another lie from the pit of hell.

FYI, I'm from one of the Niger Delta States, and if you are a Niger Deltan, I tell you, it's your type that will sell your birthright to go to London. You will give outsiders the clues to your wealth. Please cower your head in shame.

2) Once again, your type of story does not move someone like Ono. He's a tested and highly intelligent man. He lives in Warri and is in touch with reality. Your story is forged, cooked up and does not compute. You must be Akolawole's brother for all I care.

All that should take care of you.

Now, I stated before now that I don't want to contribute to this Alams story anymore. I decided to make a new entry, but the site admin deemed it fit to move it down here. I'm a man of my words. I'm still waiting for the real progressives in the country to contribute to my entry. I rest my case.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by kenflavor(m): 10:04am On Dec 20, 2005
Ono I must say that u are the fraudulent and foolish human beign I have ever read from in my life. Why can't u be objective, why are u a rogue, why are u a complete daft? I have no doubt that you are one of those fools that collected contracts from Alams and later changed figures in order to enrich yourself.

If u don't know let me tell you and let it get into your dumb skull, is not today some few indigenes unfortunately serve in their own states. Two of my friends were sent to their respective states to serve 3 years ago. If u havent seen one, u keep your dirty mouth shut instead of calling someone who tried to enlighten u, a rogue. For the past 5 months, I have been on Nairaland, I have never for once called anyone names but surprisely since I have been reading all the foolish things you've been posting on this thread, I feel it will be foolish of me, if I don't tell u the piece of my mind. You make dirty and stupid blunders about this Alams forgetting that the whole world is reading all these your trash.

A thief is a thief and he will always remain to be called a thief. I have been watching Alams games right from 1999 and if u are a good citizen of this country you will quite agree with me that Alams is a complete[b] thief[/b]. Since 1999, Alams had been living in PH until of recent. He comes into Yenegoa whenever he feels like with Helicopter and u think there is nothing wrong with a leader that has stolen not less than 6 Million Pounds from his people.

Ono u need to check your head or better still see a Psychatric doctor because u are really sick in your head. After all you are a Warri boy, I wonder what is expected of you. Onyeara

.............. and let me remind u that, davidlan is not your match, he simply kept mute because he later knew u are mad and u don't worth sharing views with.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by larger20(m): 1:43pm On Dec 20, 2005
Tell him Jo!
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ono(m): 2:15pm On Dec 20, 2005
I think I should make myself very clear, for those of you who think I'm a front for Alams, and also those who cannot swallow what's the obvious in this case.

1) It has been established - although the matter is still in a court of law that Alams stole  - and because of that, all sorts of lies and 'jibiti' were added to make a truckload of sins for this man. He has asked for proof of evidence (through his lawyers) of all that he has allegedly stolen, but the FG attorney said they've dismissed the charges against him. The claimed the first attempt was an academic exercise! So, they want to come up with a second attempt.

And here's one Kenflavor telling the whole world how fraudulent Nigerians can be. As far as I know, and at the Kaiama Orientation ground where I did my NYSC orientation for three weeks, I did not meet any Ijaw man from Bayelsa state. True, I did not meet everyone at the camp to verify, but do I need to do that when, in my bunk alone, all the guys were from the middle-belt, SouthWest and Igbos! If there's any case like that, then it must be that of a woman (from Bayelsa) who for one reason like pregnancy, ill health and other such things was redeployed to serve in her state and possibly stay with her husband!

I have never heard of such treatment meted out to a guy in Nigeria - except of course through dubious means. I guess that's the style kenflavour's talking about. You know, meeting the officials at Abuja, and you know, paying them a lot of money so that one can be shipped from Taraba or Jigawa to PortHarcourt, or Warri - oil cities in the south so that they can follow in the footsteps of their elders who are now rogues in high places - milking the nation dry.

So, I put it to you, Kenflavor, that your likes are the people who are turning this country into a haven for rogues. Please tell me the states in question where those three friends of yours were posted (must be either Rivers, Delta or Lagos, right?)

2) Alams is in trouble. He has fallen out of favour with the powers that be. He that is down needs fear no fall - but should be afraid of falling objects! like shits from unreasonable people.

So, where do I stand?

* Lets stop accusing people without taking a 360 degree view of the isseus at hand - the Kettle (FG - OBJ and company) should stop calling the Pot black! Always look at the total picture before passing judgements.

*Let's come up with healthy discussions on discussions that affect our nation and be patriotic. We should not condone anything evil. There's no one without sin in this country. We've all sinned. We should pray for our nation, so that we can make a headway in future.

*It's Alams today, it can be anyone of us tomorrow. Let's bear that in mind.

Now, that said, I rest my case.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by kenflavor(m): 3:32pm On Dec 20, 2005
I now know that u are more or less a daft person, and I am cock sure that u will never change. You think everyone could be a thief like you. None of my two friends I told you about came from South-South as you thought. One of them is from Niger State, graduated from Niger State and Served in Niger State. The other who also graduated from Niger State, served in Kwara State which happens to be his state of Origin. These things happen at times not because someone is bribing somebody at the NYSC for his/her placement but[b] LUCK[/b].

While I was still a Lecturer at the Federal Polytechnic, Nasarawa, I happened to meet 4 Corp members (2 males and 2 Females) whom are all from Nasarawa State and nature/luck happened to push them to Nasarawa state for their NYSC.

Nobody is telling you that Obasanjo does not steal or steals, but all we are saying now is that, Alams was caught with a huge sum of stolen money, so, he must be punished for it. Balogun, I believe you wouldn't say he's Obasanjo's enemy was also caught and he was punished, Afolabi, a good friend and school mate of Obasanjo was caught and he was on the verge of his own punishment that he eventually died in the prison (may his soul rest in peace). So leave Obasanjo alone, if he steals Nigerian money, I am very sure that his own time will come by God's grace and if he is not, Ono (Warri Boy) will be put to shame when the time comes.

Try to erase one evil thought from your mind, not every Nigerian is a thief or a corrupt person like you and Alams, few days ago Prof Akunyili was greatly honoured in Britian where your Alams used to carry out his evil deeds.

Finally,  I gve you my promise, nothing in this world will ever make me and u exchange views on this topic again because u lack reasoning, so therefore you don't worth exchanging sensible views with.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by mikebuddy(m): 3:59pm On Dec 20, 2005
Too many typing i cant read all posts lol. shocked
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by mikebuddy(m): 4:06pm On Dec 20, 2005
Too many typing i cant read all posts lol.  shocked  merry xmas shaa
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by kenflavor(m): 4:08pm On Dec 20, 2005
@Mike, it will really do u a lot of good if u could try to read them.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 6:24pm On Dec 20, 2005
Ono, Kenflavour, Mingix and others.
I think we owe this country a lot. I am not previledge to know the age of each and every one of us that contributed in this thread but i can say categorically that we are the youths of this country and ultimately future Nigeria leaders.
Please let STOP personal attack, abuse et la.  Let us be as objective as possible for the good of our country.
HE DON DO.

People tends to know quite a lot about Nigeria politics yet the don't take part in my political quiz on this forum. Please check it out.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by mingiix: 8:10pm On Dec 20, 2005
hhhhhh
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 9:57pm On Dec 20, 2005
Mingiix
i beg he don do.
Lets bury this.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by CimonJorr(m): 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2005
Gentlemen..

I must remind you all at this point in time of the rules and regulations of Nairaland..

Personal attacks and abuse are not permitted.. This is non-negotiable..

On a different note..

We're all entitled to our own opinions on issues.. No matter how wrongly based or biased they are.. We are here as matured people to express our sentiments and views on a variety of issues.. In doing this, at times the discussions/agruments may become very sentimental and emotional.. very heated.. but we should not forget that first and foremost we are human beings.. And Nigerians at that.. And the hallmark of the Nigerian culture has always been self-respect and mutual respect for our fellow man..

We should please keep this foremost in our minds constantly..

We are allowed to agree to disagree (to borrow an expression from a learned friend of mine.. a "gentleman in skirts" wink)

PLEASE... Let us keep the peace.. and have fun on this fora...

Compliments of the season...

[Dispute resolution]

ps.. if any of the contributers have views they'd rather discuss directly about greviances arising from the posts so far, they should please pm me..  tongue
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by mingiix: 12:12am On Dec 21, 2005
rolleyes I can not see any personal attack here.This is actually turning into a very constructive discussion.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Jakumo(m): 7:04am On Dec 21, 2005
Gentlemen choose your weapons.  The spectators are gathered around the duel-ground to witness the carnage, and may the better man win.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ono(m): 10:07am On Dec 21, 2005
@mingiix,

I'm sorry. I'm not Ijaw. I'm also sorry for the wrong use of words. I work with an oil producing company in Warri. I'm a Petroleum Engineer, member of the SPE, Worldwide.

There comes a time in a man's life that, except he's convinced otherwise, it's criminal for him to just accept news from any source and pass a verdict without taking a look at the total picture. Just like the Bible says, from the mouth of two or more winesses will the truth be established. It might interest you to know that I have never met Alams before in my life. Maybe at Kaiama, during our orientation, but not in person.

I have gone to Yenagoa several times this year, and I just marvel at the spate of developmental activities. Yenagoa could not compare with some of the towns in Delta state - like Ughelli and others before now. But a lot has been done to bring Yenagoa up to the standard befitting of a state capital. Maybe I'm myopic in my views, please enlighten me the more from London.

The future of Bayelsa belongs to you, Edward, and other Ijaw folks. And because you are not alone in the struggle for resource control, of which, Alams, through his able information commissioner, Oronto Douglas, championed at the recently concluded National Political Reform Conference in Abuja, we've got to pull our strengths together and get out of the doldrums we find ourselves in the Nigerian state. Peace.

@ former lecturer, Kenflavour,

I admire those who impart knowledge. If I had known this before now, I would have withdrawn my negative words. So, I want to apologise for responding so sarcastically. I'm now convinced that some folks serve in their state of origin. You should, at the least, be convinced by now that I am not a thief. It's OK.

And to every one:

Alams stole. He was caught and he's facing the music. Other thieves when caught, will face the music as well. I'm just repeating what I stated earlier on that I accept the verdict of the majority on this matter.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 10:48am On Dec 21, 2005
NO VICTOR ! NO VANQUISH!

Good for us in this Forum and Good for our Country, NIGERIA.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Ralex(m): 7:42pm On Dec 21, 2005
I could have forgiven him (AFTER ALL OUR SO CALLED LEADERS ARE THIEVES).

The impeachable offence he commited was his dressing like a woman. that was an insult to Bayelsians and Nigeria as a whole. Notice that all the Wahala started when he dressed like a woman and jumped bail. (He is not the only thieving publich officer or the only oone that jumped bail either)

Which of his three offences could Nigerians not tolerate:
1) Stealing our money ??
2) Jumping Bail
3) Dressing like a woman
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Akolawole(m): 9:06pm On Dec 21, 2005
I'm not sure he dress like a woman.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by kenflavor(m): 7:39am On Dec 22, 2005
@ono
I am very glad u now understand my stand. I a not saying there are no other thieves in the Land. Most of the present Leaders are thieves, but when anyone of them is caught in the act, I support that he should be punished and that will send signals to his co-thieves. Thank God, Nigerian Governors have now learnt to stay in their respective state instead of junketing....

We are friends man and so we will remain. Have a lovely day.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ono(m): 9:18am On Dec 22, 2005
My people, this is today's Guardian's Editorial on Alams. To me It's a 'balanced' view enough. What do you think?

Impeachment and arrest of Alamieyeseigha

THERE ought not to be misgivings about the impeachment of Chief Diepreye Solomon Peter Alamieyeseigha. But the process leading to that action gives cause for grave concern. Immediately he was removed, Alamieyeseigha was handcuffed, detained temporarily at the Police Headquarters, in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, and later flown to Abuja, for further detention and, possibly, extradition to the United Kingdom. Prior to his impeachment on Friday, December 9, 2005, Alamieyeseigha was the elected Governor of Bayelsa State.

He was arrested by the Metropolitan Police in London, on September 15, 2005, for money-laundering offences, detained and subsequently charged to court. He was later released on bail on conditions requiring him to stay back in London sine dine. Quite unaccountably, he jumped bail, and miraculously found his way to Yenagoa, his state capital, on November 21, 2005, becoming a fugitive from justice.

We had, in the recent past, done an editorial on the subject of Alamieyeseigha's unseemly escape from justice and the avoidable odium and ridicule he had incurred on his person and office. The thrust of this editorial, therefore, is on the style, legality and constitutionality of his impeachment. Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution, delineates the procedure (trial process) for the removal of an elected governor or deputy governor from office. The trial process as provided in the said section 188 has built-in mechanics for ensuring fair hearing and the principles of natural justice, including the doctrine of audi alteram parten (hear the other side). Natural justice, the Supreme Court once ruled in the case of Ariori v AG (Oyo State), "demands that a party must be heard before the case against him is determined. Even God gave Adam an oral hearing despite the evidence supplied by his act of covering his unclothedness..."

To ensure fair hearing and natural justice, the Constitution provides that, in the trial of a governor , a panel appointed by the Chief Judge of the State shall have three months (90 days) within which to make its findings and to report same to the House of Assembly. In the Alamieyeseigha case, the seven-man Panel, headed by Barrister David Serena Dokubo Spiff, was appointed on Tuesday, December 6, 2005.

It came up with a report, dated December 8, 2005, and tagged "Allegations without Evidence of Proof" which, according to its author (the seven-man panel), "are those allegations the facts supporting which are so self-evident that they do not require any proof (read 'defence'), and those allegations proof of which must require varying degrees of fact finding".

In the opinion of the seven-man panel, the two allegations against Governor Alamieyeseigha - the charge of money laundering levelled against him by the London Metropolitan Police and his escape from justice - were too self-evident to require his defence. But the Constitution provides that "the holder of an office whose conduct is being investigated under this section shall have the right to defend himself in person or be represented before the panel by a legal practitioner of his own choice". Quite clearly, to hold that some allegations were too self-evident to require proof, evidence or defence, represents a serious infraction of that constitutional provision, which contemplates the provisions of section 36 of the Constitution, requiring that every person who is charged with a criminal offence shall be "given adequate time and facilities for the preparation of his defence", and to "defend himself in person or by legal practitioners of his own choice".

The David Serena Dokubo-Spiff-led panel further stated that "owing to non-availability of funds (the Federal Government had illegally and unconstitutionally frozen the Bayelsa State Federal Account), commonsense, therefore, dictates that we commence with those allegations in category 1, before addressing allegations in category II, stating allegations for which proof is unnecessary". The seven-man panel had hardly finished the first part of the report conveying its opinion on allegations which required no proof, evidence or defence, when , in less than 72 hours of its appointment, the House of Assembly, in circumstances that were less than honorable, pronounced Governor Alamieyeseigha impeached.

To facilitate Alamieyeseigha's impeachment, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had played a role that can hardly be reconciled to the powers bestowed on it by the instrument establishing it. It was widely reported that there was unwholesome arm-twisting, torture and inducement by the EFCC to the Bayelsa State lawmakers. On its own part, the Federal Government evidently and literally browbeat the Bayelsa lawmakers into doing what they should have done properly and with facility, under law, without prompting.

The Bayelsa State radio and television stations were closed down, contrary to sections 22 and 39 of the constitution, guaranteeing freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference; the State's Federation Account was frozen, contrary to section 165 of the Constitution; hundreds of armed soldiers and police were deployed to everywhere in the State; armoured tanks and sub-machine guns were positioned at the State House of Assembly and at the State High Court.

Two armoured tanks were placed directly opposite the Government House, where Governor Alamieyeseigha's office was located; armed soldiers positioned armoured tanks along the road leading to Amassoma, the Governor's hometown, etc. The question arises as to whether Nigeria is still a federation, or is now a unitary state and an autocracy.

The deployment by the President of the armed forces to Bayelsa State was clearly a contravention of the provisions of section 217 of the Constitution, which make such deployment subject to an act of the National Assembly. And consider that the deployment of the armed forces and police was made at a time when there was no insurrection to suppress!

The overt and covert assistance proffered by the Federal Government and its agencies to anti-Alamieyeseigha lawmakers of Bayelsa State was patently redolent of illegality and evil, being subversive of the letter and spirit of the 1999 Constitution.

There is hardly any doubt that the allegations levelled against Alamieyeseigha were weighty enough and would have earned him an impeachment, anyway, but the reckless and vulgar haste with which the impeachment trial was conducted leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Quite clearly, the casualties of that horrid impeachment exercise include due process, the rule of law and the concept of federalism.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Jakumo(m): 9:55am On Dec 22, 2005
Ono   if you were asked to summarize the main points of your last post in ten words or less, suitable for a radio advert, which ten words would best convey your central argument to an educated listening public ?
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ono(m): 10:33am On Dec 22, 2005
Jakumo,
I would have just, kind of posted the link to that site for anyone to read the full gist. Apology to those who don't like reading long postings. But I guess Guardian news won't allow people to post their link. I'll try next time.

So, to make life easy for you, this is what the Guardian Editorial on Alams said, for short:

All of Alami's offences were impeachable enough, UNTIL the FG decided to ''take the laws into their hands and muddled up everything''

I hope that's OK by you.

Sounds like throwing away the baby with the bathwater to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Farouk Lawan Released On Bail / Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing / LASG Launches "Live Camera Update" To Monitor 300 Roads And Highways

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.