Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,253 members, 7,811,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil (8509 Views)

Substandard Toyota Engine Oil: SON Raises Red Alert / STOP! Using Your Mouth With A Hose To Siphon Fuel From Gallon To Car Tank / Genuine Engine Oil,gear Oil,coolant &brake Fluids For Toyota,nissan Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 12:59am On Mar 30, 2019
mykdigital:
I have a Nissan pathfinder 2001 model, 3.5 litres, v6 jeep brought in from new Jersey, pls which engine oil should I use for servicing, and should I also remove the thermostat? Thank you[color=#006600][/color]

Don't allow anyone remove the thermostat. As for engine, Nissan recommends SAE 5w30.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by dare01: 3:00pm On May 03, 2019
I own a Toyota Camry 2000 2.2litre engine 4 cylinder been using forte oil visco 2000 20w-50 for years as recommended by my mechanic and have not had issue but fuel consumption seem to increase just a little which I believe is wear and tear. my vehicle recommendation is 5w-30.

Its possible to switch to a synthetic high mileage mobil 1 5w-30 oil at this moment or stick with my visco 2000 20w-50 oil.

No White, blue, and black smoke

Services is done every month

Engine rev well, response well on top speed.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by agyo(m): 9:25am On May 04, 2019
andi78:

Honda Accord 2003. What's the best engine oil to use for this car in Nigeria.

Toyota corolla, 2006-bank model, 1.8 Gli is what's written against the boot, 16valve written on the engine cover, 4 cylinders, milage 180,076km. I have been ignorantly using the 20w50 since I bought the car 12 yrs ago, not smoking, not emitting morning fog smoke anymore.

What's the recommended oil for my car?
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 2:14pm On May 26, 2019
agyo:

Toyota corolla, 2006-bank model, 1.8 Gli is what's written against the boot, 16valve written on the engine cover, 4 cylinders, milage 180,076km. I have been ignorantly using the 20w50 since I bought the car 12 yrs ago, not smoking, not emitting morning fog smoke anymore.

What's the recommended oil for my car?

The recommended oil is SAE 5W30 but since you've had no issues with what you've been using, just make sure you service regularly.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 2:17pm On May 26, 2019
dare01:
I own a Toyota Camry 2000 2.2litre engine 4 cylinder been using forte oil visco 2000 20w-50 for years as recommended by my mechanic and have not had issue but fuel consumption seem to increase just a little which I believe is wear and tear. my vehicle recommendation is 5w-30.

Its possible to switch to a synthetic high mileage mobil 1 5w-30 oil at this moment or stick with my visco 2000 20w-50 oil.

The high mileage oils have an additive that swells your oil seals to avoid oil seeping through.so if you switch to High mileage oils, you must continue using the high mileage oils.
Also the American Mobilq 1 oils can go several months before needing change.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by lubeguy: 5:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
This post is absolutely correct. 20w-50 engine oils have not been recommended by any major auto manufacturer for at least 25 years! There are high quality oils that do meet current specifications like the recently introduced Mobil Super 2000 5w-30. These oils will provide a 3 -4% fuel economy savings and will better protect the engines from sludge, deposits and wear. These types of products run in severe environments around the world...some even harsher than Nigeria.
As for quality demand the latest specifications, like API SN quality, not the low quality oils that are often pushed in Nigeria like SF or SG or lower. these are old obsolete specifications that are over 25 years old.

Here's a list of API specifications:
Grade Status
SN Current Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.
SM Current For 2010 and older automotive engines.
SL Current For 2004 and older automotive engines.
SJ Current For 2001 and older automotive engines.
SH Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1996. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge, oxidation, or wear.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 8:38pm On Oct 02, 2019
mykdigital:
I have a Nissan pathfinder 2001 model, 3.5 litres, v6 jeep brought in from new Jersey, pls which engine oil should I use for servicing, and should I also remove the thermostat? Thank you[color=#006600][/color]

If you want to the car to last as long as it done, don't touch the thermostat pls.
Recommended oil is SAE 5w30

1 Like

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by deavicky(m): 9:02pm On Oct 02, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
ignore this if your engine has been using mineral oil for a long time.

The engine would have built up protective sludge, that would stop it from burning oil.

In the event that you switch to full synthetic oils, the cleaning agents in the oil will breakdown the sludge, and engine might begin to exhibit oil burn and smoking.

If you did not start with synthetic, and you have been following bad gang for over a year, stick with your bad gang.
When did Engine become a living organism that build up something to protect itself.
Sludge of any kind is never or can never be good for an Engine.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by deavicky(m): 9:08pm On Oct 02, 2019
dare01:

use the recommended oil at anytime it's not a problem. I was using that visco 2000 on my 08 camry till i discover the write oil i switched no problem.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:14pm On Oct 02, 2019
deavicky:
When did Engine become a living organism that build up something to protect itself.
Sludge of any kind is never or can never be good for an Engine.

ok
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:15pm On Oct 02, 2019
deavicky:
use the recommended oil at anytime it's not a problem. I was using that visco 2000 on my 08 camry till i discover the write oil i switched no problem.

kindly disregard
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by Flyer20: 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2019
I used 5w 30(Manual spec) Mobil 1, fully synthetic on my Toyota Rav4 2001 model the first oil change after purchased as Tokunbo about 9-10months ago. I decided to change the oil today but no Mobil 1, 5w 30 fully synthetic, so I was advised to buy Mobil super 2000, still same 5w-30 but Semi synthetic. To my greatest surprise, the car exhaust was full of smoke and couldn't accelerate well enough. I had to call my mechanic and drain out the oil immediately, After touring several Mobil filling stations, I got Mobil 1, 5w 30 full synthetic, (1Ltr x4)- #4k per litre. and engine work smoothly again. Please, I need advise on what substitute to use on my car on next servicing because Mobil 1, 5w 30, fully synthetic is not readily available in Mobil filling stations anymore, except for the Mobil super 2000, 5w 30, Semi synthetic which I learnt they will replace the fully synthetic with, don't know how true though, Thanks in anticipation
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:52am On Nov 07, 2019
Flyer20:
I used 5w 30(Manual spec) Mobil 1, fully synthetic on my Toyota Rav4 2001 model the first oil change after purchased as Tokunbo about 9-10months ago. I decided to change the oil today but no Mobil 1, 5w 30 fully synthetic, so I was advised to buy Mobil super 2000, still same 5w-30 but Semi synthetic. To my greatest surprise, the car exhaust was full of smoke and couldn't accelerate well enough. I had to call my mechanic and drain out the oil immediately, After touring several Mobil filling stations, I got Mobil 1, 5w 30 full synthetic, (1Ltr x4)- #4k per litre. and engine work smoothly again. Please, I need advise on what substitute to use on my car on next servicing because Mobil 1, 5w 30, fully synthetic is not readily available in Mobil filling stations anymore, except for the Mobil super 2000, 5w 30, Semi synthetic which I learnt they will replace the fully synthetic with, don't know how true though, Thanks in anticipation

We sell the full synthetic American version which is even more superior... We run an online store www.mrparts.ng
And we can deliver to your location
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by timenamoney: 4:41pm On Jun 16, 2020
mykdigital:
check ur car manual for recomended engine oil and dont remove the thermostat exept it bad and need replacement, it help your engine reach recomended temperature for better performance and fuel economy , alway use 50% collant and distiled water in radiator to prolong it life. Enjoy
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by timenamoney: 5:32pm On Jun 16, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

The engine would have built up protective sludge, that would stop it from burning oil.

In the event that you switch to full synthetic oils, the cleaning agents in the oil will breakdown the sludge, and engine might begin to exhibit oil burn and smoking.

If you did not start with synthetic, and you have been following bad gang for over a year, stick with your bad gang.
This is an unproffesional advice regarding the topic of using the right oil, it better to say if ur engine seals are bad it may leak becus of the light vascosity or If ur engine rings are worn out u may burn oil and will need a higher vascocity oil, so that they will prepare their mindset not telling them to continour using wrong vascocity oil resulting in high engine wear and tear and bad fuel economy, i have been reading ur comments in other treands and e be like say over sabi dey worry u

1 Like

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by timenamoney: 5:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:51pm On Jun 16, 2020
timenamoney:
This is an unproffesional advice regarding the topic of using the right oil, it better to say if ur engine seals are bad it may leak becus of the light vascosity or If ur engine rings are worn out u may burn oil and will need a higher vascocity oil, so that they will prepare their mindset not telling them to continour using wrong vascocity oil resulting in high engine wear and tear and bad fuel economy, i have been reading ur comments in other treands and e be like say over sabi dey worry u

ok

4 Likes

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by codemaster2much: 10:45pm On Aug 08, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

ok
lolzzz

(1) (2) (Reply)

SOLD!!! Toks 2008 Mercedez Benz C300 / Peugeot 307 @ 920k - Sold / Truck Mercedes 2624 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.