Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Saidi Balogun: Visionary Filmmaker And Thespian - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Saidi Balogun: Visionary Filmmaker And Thespian (746 Views)

IDRIS: Tayo Sobola Tells Saidi Balogun To Present The Man Who Defrauded Her Fans / Blessing Egbe: How I Was Sexually Harassed By Filmmaker And Marketer / Saidi Balogun Celebrates His 51st Birthday With Dapper Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Saidi Balogun: Visionary Filmmaker And Thespian by iffydave: 6:03pm On Mar 27, 2017
There are several elements that make up the essentials of the movie industry. However, out of all these elements too numerous to list out, two are very critical to achieve a crispy production: creativity and organisation.​​

Creativity, as it has always been emphasised, is the currency of the art world. Without the expression of ingenuity in any work of art, especially in a movie production, such a work would be deemed meaningless because movies, noted as make-believe shows, are expected to transmit a message which would have a heartfelt impact on its audience. And transmitting such message would have to be done in a manner that is imaginative, believable and entertaining enough, to bring in some level of reality.

Similarly, have a good organisational process is also very important in achieving an excellent movie production. As we have seen in today’s world, while having the talent and being creative is quite important, it is not an end in itself. If is no clear structure which will guarantee critical features such as order, hierarchy, and responsibilities among the cast and crew on set, amongst other things are not in place, then such a production, despite the creative geniuses surrounding it, would be a futile effort.

There are very few individuals in the Nigerian movie industry who personifies the elements mentioned above like Saidi Balogun. A very talented actor, Balogun began acting professionally in 1978 and featured in several movies in the Nigerian movie industry. Although clearly more renowned for appearances in the Yoruba genre of Nollywood, he has also acted in a number of movies in the English genre of Nollywood.

A versatile actor, Balogun is loved across the movie spectrum for his witty and creative interpretation of roles and scripts. For a person who never did anything close to theatre arts in a higher institution or went to any acting school, Balogun’s dexterity is not only surprising but very impressive.

On how he got into the acting profession, he said; “Right from the day I was born. My father used to do comedy and the same blood flows in my veins. I decided to make mine commercial by showing it to the world. I did not want to do it the way my father did his by sitting down and making the whole community laugh, I decided to make mine international as well.”

Buoyed by his charming looks, Balogun is always courted by producers and directors in the Yoruba film industry to feature in their movies. His staying power in the industry is quite remarkable, given how long he has maintained his grip in the industry. It is such dominance alongside his hilarious acting skills that has earned him nicknames such as “Walata”, “Omo Alhaja”, and “James Bond.”

A respected veteran in Nollywood, the 49-year old actor has also shown another nifty side of him by diversifying into movie production and directing. Balogun, who is President of The Golden Movies Ambassadors, has produced and directed a number of landmark movies acclaimed as innovative.

His first movie production was in 1989 with the movie titled “City Girl.” What is surprising is that he ventured into production just 11 years into his movie career and also did it at a time where actors in Nigeria, especially the young ones, were just content being actors and did not fantasise about going into movie production.

Balogun, who has produced over 20 movies, has been hailed as a revolutionary in Nollywood, because of the quality of his films. Some of his movies scored a first not only in Nollywood but also in the African film industry.

Among the list of his lengthy achievement includes the production of the first two-cast movie in Africa titled “Modupe Temi”, and the production of Africa’s first ever three-cast movie titled “Gbogbo Ere”. He also produced “Third Party”, the first ever ankara movie in Africa. These are indeed laudable achievements considering the complexity, technicality and extensive logistic required to bring these productions alive.

Indeed, we celebrate the outstanding quality of a large cast and budget movie of foreign movies and ridiculously scandalise our own Nollywood movies, Balogun’s exploits with his history-making movies has shown that Nollywood can still produce wonderful films that can stand the test of time in terms of quality, technicality, and screenplay in comparison with same budget productions outside of the African continent

Speaking on the inspiration for his unique movies scripts, Balogun said he is driven by the need to create art, spectacle, protest, stimuli, conversation, amusement and commerce.

“My view of film is that a great film is both entertainment and art. The art in movies speaks to the human experience and it should do this in an entertaining way.

These days, I produce movies not because I want to be known, but to nurture, teach and educate people on how to live peacefully in their marriage, in their place of work and as it applies to their day to day activities. We producers adapt three approaches to it. We tell the past, deal with the present and shape the future.”

Emphasising more on how he produces his movies, Balogun talked about the importance of research saying; “I like research and that has reflected in most of my movies. I am the first actor in Africa who has produced a two-cast movie and the first to do a film where every actor and actress wore Ankara in West Africa. I also did a movie where I was the only black man, and also the first to do a three-cast movie. All these put together is a result of rigorous research.”

Indeed, Balogun has explicitly demonstrated that the tripod of creativity, innovation, and organisation are very important factors which are needed to excel not just in the movie industry in Nigeria, but also in every profession and everyday life. And resourcefully combining all three factors together can place one on the path of making history, to always be remembered forever, as Balogun’s movies would always be.

http://www.jalupon.com/saidi-balogun-visionary-filmmaker-and-thespian/

Re: Saidi Balogun: Visionary Filmmaker And Thespian by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 27, 2017
These guys are cool except for their marriages
Re: Saidi Balogun: Visionary Filmmaker And Thespian by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 28, 2017
i watched all those 3 ground-breaking movies and i doff my hat for him. Good job

(1) (Reply)

Keep Your Change Lady Gets Several Gifts On Social Media / #bbnaija: Day 69: Extreme Party For Six – With Three Djs To Entertain The Top 6 / Samuel Eto'o In Nigeria As He Visits Psquare In Their Mansion (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.