Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Science Just Gave Mothers Another Reason To Let Go Of Their Breastfeeding Guilt - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Science Just Gave Mothers Another Reason To Let Go Of Their Breastfeeding Guilt (444 Views)

Sex, Breastfeeding Within 6 Wks Of Lassa Fever Treatment Increase Infection Risk / Newborn Baby Grabs Doctor's Shirt And Refuses To Let Go Seconds After Birth (Pic / Photo Of A Mother Smoking And Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Science Just Gave Mothers Another Reason To Let Go Of Their Breastfeeding Guilt by carlitob: 5:32pm On Mar 28, 2017
The benefits of breastfeeding are plentiful. Breast milk builds up an infant’s immune system, and may help to prevent allergies. For mothers, breastfeeding lowers the risk of developing breast cancer later in life. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life, if possible.
What is not clear from research is whether breastfeeding helps make babies smarter, or influences whether they develop behavioral problems.

A new study published in Pediatrics shows that mostly, it does not: Children who are breastfed for at least six months show no statistically significant cognitive impact from the breastfeeding. And while they are less hyperactive at age three, that effect fades by age five.
“We weren’t able to find a direct causal link between breastfeeding and children’s cognitive outcomes,” Lisa Christine Girard, one of the authors, told NPR.
The study looked at about 7,500 children in Ireland. Information was collected from parent and teacher reports and standardized assessments regarding children’s problem behaviors, expressive vocabulary, and cognitive abilities when kids were age three, and again when they were five years old. Mothers provided breastfeeding information.

http://www.carlybrigs.ga/2017/03/science-just-gave-mothers-another.html
Re: Science Just Gave Mothers Another Reason To Let Go Of Their Breastfeeding Guilt by ediama(m): 5:43pm On Mar 28, 2017
I love people who have passion for knowledge.

I like the way Europeans & Americans think.

Mostly on what will benefit significant number of people in the society....on like some people over here.

Forgive me if my question is offensive, do we have scientist in this country? if we do, what area have they been channelling their thoughts to!

(1) (Reply)

Baby Mama Drama / World’s Heaviest Man Juan Pedro Receives Gastric Bypass In Mexico (Photos) / AIDS Is Still Real –amina Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.