Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' (11408 Views)

Akudaya:myth Or Reality? / Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by MadMax1(f): 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2010
So you're saying 99% of extinctions, some of which humans contributed to, happened so we could have fossil fuel. Fossil fuel is a recent find. Is it crucial to our survival as a species? What of all the ages humanity did without fossil fuel? There are alternative energy sources being researched and found as we speak. We're not the only species on the planet. Of what use is fossil fuel to other species that survived as well?

Do you realise fossil fuel is got from DEAD plants and animals, not EXTINCT ones? If 99% of biological organisms had not become extinct,WE WOULD STILL HAVE HAD FOSSIL FUEL, because the death of the organism is all that is required for that, NOT the extinction of the organism. In fact, extinction HARMS your funny argument, because EXTINCT animals cannot die and produce fossil fuel. THEY'RE EXTINCT. Another thing, fossil fuel is got MOSTLY from dead trees (plants). How you came to be privileged with the information that 99% of biological life perished so a species that hadn't arrived on the scene could drive a car millions of years later, is for you to vouchsafe. No doubt those scientists languishing in lamentable ignorance and shallowness of perception would profit from it.

And Deep Sight, there is no way for you to know the motive behind the extinction of most life on the planet. You can only speculate and guess. You can't know. Try acting like it.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by DeepSight(m): 7:34pm On Jun 07, 2010
^^^ Do read carefully and note what I am saying and not what I am not saying.

Mad_Max:

So you're saying 99% of extinctions, some of which humans contributed to, happened so we could have fossil fuel.

I DID NOT SAY THAT.

I said that those extinctions are NOT “a waste” as you called them – given that we still derive fossil fuels from the said dead creatures. I also stated that this is only one tiny example of various ways in which extinct creatures have impacted the ecology.

Also please note that there is no extinction that humans contributed to which provides us with any fossil fuels for the simple reason that we have not been around long enough for our ecological crimes to decompose into the chemical state of fossil fuels.

Fossil fuel is a recent find. Is it crucial to our survival as a species? What of all the ages humanity did without fossil fuel? There are alternative energy sources being researched and found as we speak. We're not the only species on the planet. Of what use is fossil fuel to other species that survived as well?

You are on your own here as I never stated that we require fossil fuels. I simply stated that those dead creatures are not a “waste” – and that is a FACT: Fossil Fuels are one example of that fact. I could cite trillions of other examples if you wish.

Do you realise fossil fuel is got from DEAD plants and animals, not EXTINCT ones? If 99% of biological organisms had not become extinct,WE WOULD STILL HAVE HAD FOSSIL FUEL, because the death of the organism is all that is required for that, NOT the extinction of the organism.

That doesn’t change the fact that extinct animals are by necessary implication ALSO AMONG the dead animals – which are what fossil fuels come from.

So whichever way you look at it the fact remains the same; those extinct animals were not a waste because the impacted our ecology. SAME goes for every dead animal – whether or not extinct. They all impacted the ecology and as such there is no “waste.”

Besides, and most imprtantly, if 99% of all species that ever lived on the earth are now extinct, then it follows, logically from that percentage, that the vast majority of fossil fuels come from extinct species.

Let me tell you something; nature abhors a vacuum. Nothing is wasted in nature.

How you came to be privileged with the information that 99% of biological life perished so a species that hadn't arrived on the scene could drive a car millions of years later, is for you to vouchsafe.

Again, I never said such a thing. Your imagination is quite active.

And Deep Sight, there is no way for you to know the motive behind the extinction of most life on the planet. You can only speculate and guess. You can't know. Try acting like it.

We can certainly adduce many obvious reasons for extinction. Nonetheness your very statement implies that there was a purpose for such: and this is at variance with the thinking that extinct species are a “waste.”

Stick to the point.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by justcool(m): 8:52pm On Jun 07, 2010
@Deepsight
I have always respected you but reading your submissions on this thread has taken my respect for you to a higher level. You should consider a carrier in science; the way your mind works you will make a brilliant scientist. You definition of 'facts' and 'theories' is very correct; facts cannever be found false, if this is done then they were never facts in the first place. Science is not literature where one word could mean many things; every scientific term has a specific meaning which may differ from the lay man's meaning.

@Madmax
You made very brilliant points too, but your make a big mistake when you try to offer scientific theories as facts. In science 'theories' are never proven to be correct; once a theory is proven to be correct it becomes a law. Facts or scientific laws will never be found lacking or false, if this is done then the issue in question was never a fact and will automatically demoted to a theory.

There is a difference between scientific law and scientific theory. The Newtons law of motion are laws; Einsteins theory of relativity is only a theory and not a law. 

@thehommer,
You still don't get it, and I have a felling that you want to get into 'believers verse atheists' battle. Its a pity that I dont have time now to answer you very well, but as soon as I have time I will answer you in detail. Research more on the difference between a scientific theory and a scientific law. While some theories will always remain theories; some theories may become laws if they are proven to be correct, because technically speaking in science a theory cannever be proven correct.

@all
I will return with a detailed answer to thehomer, at the moment I have to rush to work.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by MadMax1(f): 9:37pm On Jun 07, 2010
Lol. Your, um, solemnity is just killing me Deep Sight grin. I asked for speculations as to the cruelty in nature and why 99% of biological species are extinct. I did not ask for reasons. You're offering reasons. And strange, unfounded ones you refuse to stipulate are just your guesses, you're offering them as fact. Thumbs up. We contributed to the extinctions of some species. Like the dodos. How you managed to transmute that into humans contributed to the extinction of some species so we could find fossil fuels is beyond me. I was trying to say extinction is one thing, fossil fuel is another. You can't seem to get that.

We get fossil fuel from dead trees by an enormous margin. One of the reasons fuel is in some places on the planet and not others, though bioloigcal creatures were clearly everywhere, land, air, water.  If we do not require fossil fuel to survive, and we don't need biological creatures to provide it, and you have no idea of the kind of creatures that existed in Precambrian times, how can you give us the fact that they became extinct so you may have fossil fuel? Is there anywhere you read that all the extinct creatures on the planet turned to fuel? Of what use is this fuel when we have alternative energy sources? We may talk about the incidental benefits that accrue from long dead plants, but to imply that is a valid reason and motive for the extinction of 99% of the species is something I won't continue to argue with you about.

That millions of species thrived for millions of years and then vanished without a trace, when the PURPOSE OF BIOLOGICAL LIFE AND NATURAL SELECTION IS SURVIVAL, plainly shows all that time and effort to be a waste. 99%! Whatever incidental  and temporary benefits dead plants may have towards powering your car has nothing to do with the fact that the destruction of 99% of biological life was a waste.  They did not survive. But it's all right. You have petrol. They existed for millions of years to give the human species a recent and incidental bonus.

Extinction and death are different things. You'd have fuel if they did not become extinct. You have no idea why they became extinct. You cannot offer your speculations towards that end as fact. Sorry. Their extinction after millions of years is a waste and a tragedy, and a cautionary tale for human beings, especially since they're stocking nuclear weapons. Maybe when they blow us all to smithereens you can take consolation in the 'fact' that we did not become extinct for nothing. Our toil, sweat, science, medicine, architecture, culture, language, lives, love, history, kinship, friendships, technologies and everything else would vanish without a trace, but it's all right: Maybe some new species down the line will find our decayed bodies and use them as make-up.

As for the trillion things their extinction did for the ecology of the planet, I'll be happy to learn about that.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by mantraa: 11:03pm On Jun 07, 2010
Research more on the difference between a scientific theory and a scientific law. While some theories will always remain theories; some theories may become laws if they are proven to be correct, because technically speaking in science a theory cannever be proven correct.

From wikipedia

"Scientific laws
Main article: Scientific law

Scientific laws are similar to scientific theories in that they are principles that can be used to predict the behavior of the natural world. Both scientific laws and scientific theories are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence. Usually scientific laws refer to rules for how nature will behave under certain conditions.[9] Scientific theories are more overarching explanations of how nature works and why it exhibits certain characteristics.

A common misconception is that scientific theories are rudimentary ideas that will eventually graduate into scientific laws when enough data and evidence has been accumulated. A theory does not change into a scientific law with the accumulation of new or better evidence. A theory will always remain a theory, a law will always remain a law."

There is no such thing as absolute certainty in science. All theories and laws of science are discovered and adjusted, refined and improved as more knowledge is discovered. Just because something is called a law does not mean that it is 100% correct.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by thehomer: 11:09pm On Jun 07, 2010
justcool:

@thehommer,
You still don't get it, and I have a felling that you want to get into 'believers verse atheists' battle. Its a pity that I dont have time now to answer you very well, but as soon as I have time I will answer you in detail. Research more on the difference between a scientific theory and a scientific law. While some theories will always remain theories; some theories may become laws if they are proven to be correct, because technically speaking in science a theory cannever be proven correct.

@all
I will return with a detailed answer to thehomer, at the moment I have to rush to work.

Your feeling about my desire for a believers vs atheists battle is simply not true. I am more interested in getting across the reasons behind the theory of evolution than in debating whether or not anyone should believe in a God. That would not be useful on this particular thread.

I think you should also research into the difference between scientific theory and scientific law. Like I said before, in science, theories do not get promoted to laws. And like I've also pointed out, they serve different purposes. And are also quite distinct from a hypothesis.

Saying a theory cannot be proven correct indicates a misunderstanding of the purpose of scientific theories. As a sort of generalization, a theory is meant to explain not just an occurrence but reasons behind it by connecting previously acquired facts, experiments etc. It can be falsified by evidence. But until such evidence is available, the theory continues to be valid.
A scientific law describes observed phenomena within some parameters and is usually mathematical.
As such, theories are more comprehensive than laws.

In science, there are no 100% proofs since, there isn't 100% knowledge.

Have a nice day at work.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by justcool(m): 11:39pm On Jun 07, 2010
thehomer:

Your feeling about my desire for a believers vs atheists battle is simply not true. I am more interested in getting across the reasons behind the theory of evolution than in debating whether or not anyone should believe in a God. That would not be useful on this particular thread.

I think you should also research into the difference between scientific theory and scientific law. Like I said before, in science, theories do not get promoted to laws. And like I've also pointed out, they serve different purposes. And are also quite distinct from a hypothesis.

Saying a theory cannot be proven correct indicates a misunderstanding of the purpose of scientific theories. As a sort of generalization, a theory is meant to explain not just an occurrence but reasons behind it by connecting previously acquired facts, experiments etc. It can be falsified by evidence. But until such evidence is available, the theory continues to be valid.
A scientific law describes observed phenomena within some parameters and is usually mathematical.
As such, theories are more comprehensive than laws.

In science, there are no 100% proofs since, there isn't 100% knowledge.

Have a nice day at work.

mantraa:

From wikipedia

"Scientific laws

Scientific laws are similar to scientific theories in that they are principles that can be used to predict the behavior of the natural world. Both scientific laws and scientific theories are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence. Usually scientific laws refer to rules for how nature will behave under certain conditions.[9] Scientific theories are more overarching explanations of how nature works and why it exhibits certain characteristics.

A common misconception is that scientific theories are rudimentary ideas that will eventually graduate into scientific laws when enough data and evidence has been accumulated. A theory does not change into a scientific law with the accumulation of new or better evidence. A theory will always remain a theory, a law will always remain a law."

There is no such thing as absolute certainty in science. All theories and laws of science are discovered and adjusted, refined and improved as more knowledge is discovered. Just because something is called a law does not mean that it is 100% correct.

Since we are delving deeper into the issue, let me clarify a misconception that might have arisen from my statement that 'some theories may become laws'. This is a general statement; actually the law is contained within the theory. The only difference between a theory and a law is that the law predicts the behavior of an object to the exact mathematical accuracy based on a theory. Thus if a theory is found to be a fact, then a law arises from it which can never be falsified. The theory offers an explanation of the behavior; the law predicts the behavior. Therefore a law arises from a proven theory.

In science theories are never proven. If a theory is proven, then it will be used to predict the behavior, ie a law arises out of it.

In science there is nothing like a proven theory.

Give me articles written by authorities, and not wikepedia. Some articles in wikipedia are just bogus, any body can write an article for wikipedia. My uncle wrote one.

How I wish I have time to further clarify these things. I will give further clarifications once I get off work.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by justcool(m): 12:06am On Jun 08, 2010
mantraa:

From wikipedia

"Scientific laws

[b]There is no such thing as absolute certainty in science. [/b]All theories and laws of science are discovered and adjusted, refined and improved as more knowledge is discovered. Just because something is called a law does not mean that it is 100% correct.

Ha !!!Ha Ha!!! I laugh at the bold part above!! I actually had to pause from my work to reply to this!
You cannot say that there is no certainty in science; it depends on what branch of science that you are talking about. In mathematics there is absolute certainty!!!!!.

The law of addition for example: 1+2=3 is absolutely exact. The answer is an absolute 3 and nothing else as long as you remain in the same base.

Theories are never proven correct even in mathematics. The thesis that people write during their PHD are theories, but not laws. If you say that all scientific theories are facts, then every scientific thesis written by a PHD holder is a fact!!!!

An example is the 'Theory of multiple intelligence,' by Dr Gardener of Howard university. He proposed this theory in 1972 and up till now scientists are still trying to prove it correct or disprove it. Once a theory is proven correct, it ceases to be a theory, and a 'Theorem'(in mathematics) or a 'Law' might arise from it.

I have to return to work, before I get fired.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by mantraa: 12:23am On Jun 08, 2010
There is an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence in support of the evolution theory gathered over the last 150 years yet it is still so hard for some people to accept. All life on this planet is constantly evolving, including us humans. The process is very slow and takes at least 2 millions of years for a species to aquire enough differences to be called a new species. This is linked to the slowly changing environment due to plate tectonics and other factors affecting the organism. The only animals that can survive in a changed environment are the ones that have undergone favourable mutations that allow it to. All the others die off. That is why 99% of all the species that have lived on this planet are now extinct.

Nobody knows how life began on this earth but we know roughly when it began. If you are religious, are you absolutely certain that it was your particular god that did it? Or is it just because you dont have the answer and need one?

You need to keep your mind open, You do not know everything there is to know. With the discoveries yet to be made in quantum mechanics, anti matter, dark energy, dark flow, gravity waves, black hole singularities, and dark matter etc, there could be much more to a simple equation than meets the eye.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by MadMax1(f): 1:38am On Jun 08, 2010
Justcool, you clearly confuse a hypothesis ('I have a theory') with scientific theories that are facts, whose predictions have been found to be correct, and with results that have been replicated independently and proven to be correct. Thousands of FACTS are discovered in science but aren't called 'laws'. They don't become any less of a fact because they're called 'theories' not 'laws'. To pick a random example from hundreds, that germs cause disease is a scientific FACT. That it is called the Germ THEORY of Disease and not the Germ LAW of Disease subtracts ZERO from its grounding as a scientific FACT. Likewise for Eistein's THEORY of Special Relativity for which he is justly celebrated as a genius, and for dozens of other 'theories'. They're facts, and whether they're tagged 'laws' or not does not confuse the scientists who work with these facts.

Mantraa. So true. Kunle said he hasn't been shown a species evolving, but the thing is he's witnessed evolution and not known it. Many of us have. When we're innoculated against, say, smallpox, we aren't given a magic potion that kills the organism causing the disease. We're given the organism itself. It's introduced into our body, and our bodies evolve the necessary defences against it.

Microbes survived undisturbed and unchanged for billions of years. Until we discovered them recently. So we manufacture what kills them, antibiotics and other drugs. Now faced with a threat, these organisms start evolving a defence,until, after a while, we have a species of the organism immune to the threat, and which continues to thrive. We grab a few, put them under a microscope, study their defences, and come up with something stronger to kill them. They start evolving a defence again, and on and on.By the time this has gone on for a while, the organism would be begin to look and be very different from its original, undisturbed, un-evolved ancestors.The HIV virus is notorious for its slipperiness and ability to evolve a myriad of forms and defences, and they haven't figure out how to overcome that and kill the thing. They keep coming up with stronger and stronger antibiotics because these organisms evolve a defence against the threat in their environment, and start thriving again. Sometimes we get lucky and eradicate them all before they can evolve a defence. There are microbes that no longer exist in large parts of the world.

Was extinction all biological unfitness though? Events happened to extinguish most of the life on earth. They've found the impact crater of the guilty meteorite that wiped off huge chunks of life millions of years ago, including those dinosaurs. The dust it generated blocked most of the sun's rays and caused an ice age and conditions where even more of the species that survived the initail impact later perished. If it hadn't happened, we would not be the dominant species on this planet. Maybe we wouldn't even have evolved at all. Or we'd look very different. I don't think man is the centre of the biological universe though, and the 'reason' why it happened. There are other creatures that co-own this planet, most of them here long before we arrived. Astronomers and other sciences have long vanquished our medieval, anthropocentric 'man is the whole point of it all and the centre of the universe' vanities.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by justcool(m): 2:35am On Jun 08, 2010

2. Isn't evolution just a theory that remains unproven?   

In science, a theory is a rigorously tested statement of general principles that explains observable and recorded aspects of the world. A scientific theory therefore describes a higher level of understanding that ties "facts" together. A scientific theory stands until proven wrong -- it is never proven correct. The Darwinian theory of evolution has withstood the test of time and thousands of scientific experiments; nothing has disproved it since Darwin first proposed it more than 150 years ago. Indeed, many scientific advances, in a range of scientific disciplines including physics, geology, chemistry, and molecular biology, have supported, refined, and expanded evolutionary theory far beyond anything Darwin could have imagined.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat01.html#Q01

Dear madmax,
The above is from PBS. Please give me any article written by an authority which discribs 'scientific theory' as facts. Simply stated, theories offer a possible explanation to facts; the theories themselves are not necessarily facts. They may or may not be facts; but once proven to be facts, they cease to be theories.

I will give an example: The death of Sani Abacha is a fact. The notion that he was killed by Viagra is a 'theory.' This is a theory that explains why he died; but as long as this theory has not been proven wrong or correct, it remains a theory. If however, one finds an irrefutable evidence that Abacha was killed by Viagra, then notion that he was killed by Viagra becomes a fact and no longer a theory. From this fact a law may manifest. The law maybe that "whoever takes 1000mg of Viagra will die witten 10 minutes."
This law cannever be falsified, no matter howmany times you try it it will always be true. You see how theories and laws work. Theories a educated hypothesis based on facts, they offer an explanation; while laws predict the behavior of obiects to mathematical acuracy, and therfore are facts.

The above(about Abacha) is just an illustration, don't take it literally. I am not suggesting that Viagra killed Abacha; I dont know what killed him.

Theories are not hypothesis the major difference is that hypotesis have not been undergone extensive testing. Hypothesis are just plausible explanations which have not been tested. If there were not facts backing the theory of evolution(ie if there were no fosills found that show gradual change), and if scientits have not tried to disprove the idea of evolution, then the idea of evolution would have been just a hypothesis.

I will give another example: Fossils have been discovered which can be arranged to portray a gradual transition one specie to another. This is a fact.
The idea that species evolve(the theory of evolution) is a theory based on the aforementioned fact(fossils). This will remain a theory it is proven, ie until species are observed evolving from another species. Due to the gradual nature of evolution, this may never be possible, ie it may never be possible for scientists to observe creatures evolve. Here I am talking of complete evolution like the evolution of amphibians from fishes; I am not talking about adaptation. 

Although evolution is very likely, it makes sense, it is supported by facts, and I personally believe in it, it is still, scientifically speaking, a theory. As long as their are still some missing links, it remains a theory. When all the ins and outs of evolution have been discovered and known by scientists, then evolution will no longer remain a theory; laws may emerge from it. Ie a law may emerge which states that "Under certain given conditions(Lets call this condition 'A'), and within a definet period of time(lets say 'Z' number of centuries) a perticuler creature(lets say a fish) will evlove into another creature(lets say an anphibian). With the theory, the way it is today, no one can decifer 'A' and 'Z' acurately. Nobody can make an acurate prediction bassed on the theory as it is today. Otherwise, scientisits would have known by now, with certainty what creatures will look like in one million years to come.

But is we are dealing with a 'law' then such prdictions would be possible. Ie scientists can predict the speed and position of an object in motion even in one one million years time, provided that certain conditions remain the same.

However, dear madmax, I do enjoy some of your intelligent inputs, and I don't want this issue of 'theory' and 'law' to deviate us from some of the issues that you raised in this thread. Once time presents itself, I will like to us to deal with the issue of cruelty and wastefulness of evolution which you pointed out.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by justcool(m): 3:34am On Jun 08, 2010
Mad_Max:

Mantraa. So true. Kunle said he hasn't been shown a species evolving, but the thing is he's witnessed evolution and not known it. Many of us have. When we're innoculated against, say, smallpox, we aren't given a magic potion that kills the organism causing the disease. We're given the organism itself. It's introduced into our body, and our bodies evolve the necessary defences against it.

Microbes survived undisturbed and unchanged for billions of years. Until we discovered them recently. So we manufacture what kills them, antibiotics and other drugs. Now faced with a threat, these organisms start evolving a defence,until, after a while, we have a species of the organism immune to the threat, and which continues to thrive. We grab a few, put them under a microscope, study their defences, and come up with something stronger to kill them. They start evolving a defence again, and on and on.By the time this has gone on for a while, the organism would be begin to look and be very different from its original, undisturbed, un-evolved ancestors.The HIV virus is notorious for its slipperiness and ability to evolve a myriad of forms and defences, and they haven't figure out how to overcome that and kill the thing. They keep coming up with stronger and stronger antibiotics because these organisms evolve a defence against the threat in their environment, and start thriving again. Sometimes we get lucky and eradicate them all before they can evolve a defence. There are microbes that no longer exist in large parts of the world.

madmax my friend, what you described above is only adaptation and not evolution. A lot of people, including scientists, confuse adaptation with evolution.

What is the difference then?

Evolution deals with change of a species from one species to another, over a very long period of time. While adaptation is only a refinement of a species to better cope with the demands of its environment.

As long as the species remain the same species, evolution is out of the question; it is rather adaptation. No matter how much defense a bacteria develops against penicillin and antibodies, as long as it remains a bacteria, it has not scientifically speaking, evolved.

Some people use the word 'evolve' to mean 'develop', ie rather than saying that HIV developed resistance to AZT, they say that HIV evolved resistance to AZT. In a laymans terms, this is correct. But strictly speaking and in scientific terms, the word 'evolved' used in place of develop is not the theory of evolution.

Although it has been theorised that evolution is as a result of accumulated adaptations over millions of years; but is it still wrong to refer to adaptation as evolution.

Adaptation is a fact and not a theory; it is observable everyday and every creature does it. It does not necessarily validate the theory of evolution because by adaptation within a life time does not yield an entirely different specie.

One thing one has to keep in mind when talking about evolution is reproduction. Species are not usually able to mate with the species that they evolved from, ie fishes cannot mate with amphibians from which they evolved. Usually, if mating(reproduction) is still possible then a complete evolution have not taken place.

This is also why it is wrong to say that the white man(Europeans) evolved from the black man(Africans). There is no evolutionary difference between a whiteman and a blackman; the difference we see is only as a result of adaptation. The white man is adapted to the European environment, while the blackman is adapted to the African environment. They both belong to the same specie -- humans, and hence can successfully mate or reproduce. No human, however, can mate(reproduce) with primates because they are of different species.

The relation between evolution and adaptation is compereable to the relationship between a minute and a century. A minute represents adaptation, while a century represents evolution. You cannot say that since Mr 'A' has been living for two minutes, therefore he will definitely live a century. Mr 'A' may die after five minutes. Therefore you cannot say for sure that a particular creature is evolving into a different creature just because it adapted to a few changes in its environment.

It is imposible to observe 'evolution' in one life time. Its like trying to observe a century in one day. This is part of the reason why evolution remains a theory, and may forever remain a theory; I have pointed this out in my earlier posts.

The creature in question may be an 'end product,' not a transitional species. In millions of years to come, the creature may remain what it is, only that it more adapted to its environment(ie more refined). Believe it or not, some creatures have been on earth long enough to have evolved into a different creature, but they remained the same creature.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by thehomer: 9:38am On Jun 08, 2010
justcool:

Theories are never proven correct even in mathematics. The thesis that people write during their PHD are theories, but not laws. If you say that all scientific theories are facts, then every scientific thesis written by a PHD holder is a fact!!!!

An example is the 'Theory of multiple intelligence,' by Dr Gardener of Howard university. He proposed this theory in 1972 and up till now scientists are still trying to prove it correct or disprove it. Once a theory is proven correct, it ceases to be a theory, and a 'Theorem'(in mathematics) or a 'Law' might arise from it.

I have to return to work, before I get fired.

Theories in science are formulated using observations and experiments that have been borne out. They are to be demonstrated to be false with good evidence not to be proven true. The proponent of the theory says it is correct for some reasons when it is examined, it may be found to hold, or its predictions may hold or it may fail. If it fail, it will be discarded.
A thesis is not yet a theory until it has withstood several probes.
Before one can even start to compose a thesis, the person must first have some facts at hand. These facts must also be correct.

Please don't let Nairaland lose you your job. wink
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by KAG: 9:49am On Jun 08, 2010
justcool:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat01.html#Q01

Dear madmax,
The above is from PBS. Please give me any article written by an authority which discribs 'scientific theory' as facts. Simply stated, theories offer a possible explanation to facts; the theories themselves are not necessarily facts. They may or may not be facts; but once proven to be facts, they cease to be theories.

While you're correct in stating that theories aren't fact, it is wrong to think that theories will or can ever become facts. Theories are never proved, because science doesn't do proof. So, except when they have been falsified, theories never cease being theories no matter how rigorous the evidence.

I will give an example: The death of Sani Abacha is a fact. The notion that he was killed by Viagra is a 'theory.' This is a theory that explains why he died; but as long as this theory has not been proven wrong or correct, it remains a theory. If however, one finds an irrefutable evidence that Abacha was killed by Viagra, then notion that he was killed by Viagra becomes a fact and no longer a theory. From this fact a law may manifest. The law maybe that "whoever takes 1000mg of Viagra will die witten 10 minutes."
This law cannever be falsified, no matter howmany times you try it it will always be true. You see how theories and laws work. Theories a educated hypothesis based on facts, they offer an explanation; while laws predict the behavior of obiects to mathematical acuracy, and therfore are facts.

The above(about Abacha) is just an illustration, don't take it literally. I am not suggesting that Viagra killed Abacha; I dont know what killed him.

This is not quite right either. What I noticed from reading earlier posts is that there seems to be - what I think is - a faulty conclusion on the idea that facts can't be wrong, and if falsified, adjusted, etc, they were never facts. That, in my opinion, is the wrong way of looking at what the term "fact" describes: observations that show true empirically when tested by groups or persons independently. However, it is wrong to think facts can't be shown to be wrong or adjusted to fit a new paradigm. Facts are, after all, still human descriptors. All facts are based on presumptions often presented as axioms.

Laws can be falsified or adjusted. I see Newton's law of gravity has been mentioned. This is a classic example of how a law can be. . . shall we say, incomplete? and superseded by a theory - in this case Einstein's theory of relativity. Yes, theories offer an explanation for things observed, but they also offer mathematical descriptions and predictions.

By the way, I like your analogy, but can you really say that Abacha is dead for a fact? I suppose you could, but you'd have to be aware that you could somehow be wrong and he's in hiding somewhere. But I digress.

Theories are not hypothesis the major difference is that hypotesis have not been undergone extensive testing. Hypothesis are just plausible explanations which have not been tested. If there were not facts backing the theory of evolution(ie if there were no fosills found that show gradual change), and if scientits have not tried to disprove the idea of evolution, then the idea of evolution would have been just a hypothesis.

Sometimes a body of explanation is also called a hypothesis if there's no way to falsify it. So it may have withstood tests, but if there's no way falsification can happen, and depending on circumstances, it will be a hypothesis.

I will give another example: Fossils have been discovered which can be arranged to portray a gradual transition one specie to another. This is a fact.
The idea that species evolve(the theory of evolution) is a theory based on the aforementioned fact(fossils). This will remain a theory it is proven, ie until species are observed evolving from another species. Due to the gradual nature of evolution, this may never be possible, ie it may never be possible for scientists to observe creatures evolve. Here I am talking of complete evolution like the evolution of amphibians from fishes; I am not talking about adaptation. 

Not quite. Speciation has been observed both through human intervention and naturally. Observing speciation and even evolution between genus will never make the theory of evolution a fact.

Although evolution is very likely, it makes sense, it is supported by facts, and I personally believe in it, it is still, scientifically speaking, a theory. As long as their are still some missing links, it remains a theory. When all the ins and outs of evolution have been discovered and known by scientists, then evolution will no longer remain a theory; laws may emerge from it. Ie a law may emerge which states that "Under certain given conditions(Lets call this condition 'A'), and within a definet period of time(lets say 'Z' number of centuries) a perticuler creature(lets say a fish) will evlove into another creature(lets say an anphibian). With the theory, the way it is today, no one can decifer 'A' and 'Z' acurately. Nobody can make an acurate prediction bassed on the theory as it is today. Otherwise, scientisits would have known by now, with certainty what creatures will look like in one million years to come.

But is we are dealing with a 'law' then such prdictions would be possible. Ie scientists can predict the speed and position of an object in motion even in one one million years time, provided that certain conditions remain the same.

Evolutionary biologists make predictions all the time: it's what helped with the finding of tiktaalik, it preceded the finding of shared ERV's, and is done many times in laboratory experiments, etc. While you're right that there's no useful prediction on what - if anything - a particular species will look like, there are plausible projections based on certain parameters.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by KAG: 9:57am On Jun 08, 2010
justcool:

madmax my friend, what you described above is only adaptation and not evolution. A lot of people, including scientists, confuse adaptation with evolution.

What is the difference then?

Evolution deals with change of a species from one species to another, over a very long period of time. While adaptation is only a refinement of a species to better cope with the demands of its environment.

As long as the species remain the same species, evolution is out of the question; it is rather adaptation. No matter how much defense a bacteria develops against penicillin and antibodies, as long as it remains a bacteria, it has not scientifically speaking, evolved.

No. First, adaptation is part of evolution. It is the same processes at work. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed several times to draw the line between a series of adaptation and speciation.

Second, evolution needn't take a very long period of time to occur.

No human, however, can mate(reproduce) with primates because they are of different species.

While humans and other primates are different species, I'm not sure any tests to see whether humans can successfully mate with them have been carried out. There have been suggestions that a viable offspring can be produced from the mating of a human and some other ape. Something tells me we won't be finding out definitely, though.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by DeepSight(m): 10:16am On Jun 08, 2010
Mad_Max:

We contributed to the extinction of some species. Like the dodos. How you managed to transmute that into humans contributed to the extinction of some species so we could find fossil fuels is beyond me.

Max: please do not excercise me in the direction of irritation. Irritation, I say - because it is perplexing when I have clearly stated something and you choose to mis-represent me YET again: for the second time i tell you now that I NEITHER SAID NOR IMPLIED THE ABOVE.

Can you show me exactly where i suggested that "humans contributed to the extinction of some species so we could find fossil fuels" ? ? ?

Rather I was explicit in stating that there are NO species that humans caused to be extinct which are now fossil fuels. I made this clear by explaining that humans have not been around long enough to cause a species to be extinct and also benefit from its decomposition into a fossil fuel. Decomposition into fossil fuels is a process that takes millions of years.

The entire thrust of what I stated was clear: namely that dead/ extinct animals are NOT a waste - contrary to what you claimed. Simple. Please do not quote me as saying that the purpose of the extinction of animals is so that man can have petrol. I did not say that. I said that the extinct animals are not wasted in nature. They impacted the ecology and thereby enabled further development. I will give an example.

Dinosaurs of many different kinds once populated the earth. During their sojourn on earth they impacted the environment in many ways, including eliminating certain species which may have been incompatible with the further development. Now at a point in time the Dinosaurs themselves had to go. If they never left the scene it may not have been possible for feebler dominant creatures such as man to survive. Thus everything is a magnificent process that moves in perfect sync. The existence of one creature has its purpose in time and when that purpose is done and the effect acheived that creature may be phased out in order to make room for the next development in the great trajectory. Nothing is wasted.

If we do not require fossil fuel to survive, and we don't need biological creatures to provide it, and you have no idea of the kind of creatures that existed in Precambrian times, how can you give us the fact that they became extinct so you may have fossil fuel?

For the umpteenth time: I DID NOT SAY OR SUGGEST THIS.

I stated that their existence is not wasted by the fact of their extinction. In much the same way as food is not wasted by its consumption: it ceases to exist - but delivers a purpose to the body and as such is not wasted. Similarly extinct species have delivered many purposes to the earth and as such cannot be considered a waste.

Of what use is this fuel when we have alternative energy sources? We may talk about the incidental benefits that accrue from long dead plants, but to imply that is a valid reason and motive for the extinction of 99% of the species is something I won't continue to argue with you about.

So long as you acknowledge that "incidental benefits" exist - then you accept that there is no waste.

And for the record yet again - I DID NOT SUGGEST THE ABOVE.

That millions of species thrived for millions of years and then vanished without a trace, when the PURPOSE OF BIOLOGICAL LIFE AND NATURAL SELECTION IS SURVIVAL, plainly shows all that time and effort to be a waste. 99%!

I laugh. Is mere survival the ultimate purpose of all things? Please think a little deeper. I am shocked that you can be so carelessly bold as to state that the existence of millions of creatures for millions of years amounts to a waste. Perhaps you are in the mind of the grand architect of all things, and you can see and decipher all the purposes that those crreatures may have effected upon the ecology of the earth, as to enable you to confidently conclude that their existence was a waste. You are garrulously presumptuous.

Whatever incidental  and temporary benefits dead plants may have towards powering your car has nothing to do with the fact that the destruction of 99% of biological life was a waste.

You must be omniscient. Because only omniscience may entitle you to make this reckless statement.

Our toil, sweat, science, medicine, architecture, culture, language, lives, love, history, kinship, friendships, technologies and everything else would vanish without a trace, but it's all right: Maybe some new species down the line will find our decayed bodies and use them as make-up.

I am certain that Dinosuars did not have medicine, architecture, science or technology. That which they did have they gave to the earth in terms of contribution to the ecology and further development as I have explained above.

Humans have much more. That which we do have, we also give to the ecology. Some good, some bad. Whatever happens our existence, even if we go extinct on this planet, cannot be a waste. There are trillions of worlds in existence and even if the earth remains nothing but a museum for the past existence of intelligent beings; that is still not a waste. We are not omniscient as to know what future beings will develop upon the earth and to what use that museum that we have provided may be put. Indeed it should occur to you that this evolution of human beings may not be the first evolution of human beings upon this very earth. The age of the earth can certainly accomodate many past and extinct civilizations of different evolutionary origins. The possibilities are just too wild and staggering: and this is what amuses me about the grand presumption of you who have lived for less than a century - making bold statements about how everything that existed for millions of years is all a "waste." What do you know, Max? Even as a scientist, the development of an ecological system gives a firm LIE to that assertion as it is necessary for ecologies to go through different phases - and this manifests as the generation and extinction of different species.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by DeepSight(m): 10:30am On Jun 08, 2010
@ KAG - before you dare use my above post in refutation of any past argument of mine (you know which one) remember that in this argument I refer to effects that extinct things have on a continuing world - whereas the previous argument reflected on a state of cessation altogether: to wit - if society is NOT eternal what does that the past mean in the context of an eventual absolute zero. We are not at that zero yet since we still exist, and recall it is my postive contention that zero in fact does not exist, and s such there will never be such a state of "nothingness" either in cosmic terms or in the existence of an individual being.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by KAG: 11:03am On Jun 08, 2010
Deep Sight:

@ KAG - before you dare use my above post in refutation of any past argument of mine (you know which one) remember that in this argument I refer to effects that extinct things have on a continuing world - whereas the previous argument reflected on a state of cessation altogether: to wit - if society is NOT eternal what does that the past mean in the context of an eventual absolute zero. We are not at that zero yet since we still exist, and recall it is my postive contention that zero in fact does not exist, and s such there will never be such a state of "nothingness" either in cosmic terms or in the existence of an individual being.

Woah, woah, calm down, I wasn't going to use it as a refutation because I understood exactly what you were arguing both in this thread and the previous one. Stop jumping to hasty conclusions.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by DeepSight(m): 11:56am On Jun 08, 2010
Quote from Justcool -

THIS IS BRRRRRRRRRIIIIILLLLLLLLLIIIAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by JeSoul(f): 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2010
thehomer:

Theories in science are formulated using observations and experiments that have been borne out. They are to be demonstrated to be false with good evidence not to be proven true. The proponent of the theory says it is correct for some reasons when it is examined, it may be found to hold, or its predictions may hold or it may fail. If it fail, it will be discarded.
A thesis is not yet a theory until it has withstood several probes.
Before one can even start to compose a thesis, the person must first have some facts at hand. These facts must also be correct.
If I may jump in . . .  Homer, you may want to re-read and re-phrase the bolded. Are you saying a theory stands as truth unless evidence to the contrary is provided? then what is the point of calling it a theory in the first place? Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding you.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by MadMax1(f): 2:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
Deep Sight, how could you write so much and say so little? grin Forgive me, but your circular reasoning and peculiar, self-congratulatory logic is beyond me. When you have something to say lesser mortals may understand as digestible, I'll try and stop getting on your bad side and pay attention.  Don't let me stop you and justcool from walking off hand-in-hand into some Technicolour sunset though.

I give up on the 'war' of 'laws' and 'theories', Justcool. It's just semantics and pet definitions at cross-purposes. Changes nothing. Have it your way.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2010
U re right with ur taught justcool
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by JeSoul(f): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2010
KAG:

While you're correct in stating that theories aren't fact, it is wrong to think that theories will or can ever become facts. Theories are never proved, because science doesn't do proof. So, except when they have been falsified, theories never cease being theories no matter how rigorous the evidence.
I like this quote. I have a few questions if you don't mind KAG.
Are you saying a theory can never be proven to be fact? And also, care to explain what you mean by "science doesn't do proof"? Thanks.

Evolutionary biologists make predictions all the time: it's what helped with the finding of tiktaalik, it preceded the finding of shared ERV's, and is done many times in laboratory experiments, etc. While you're right that there's no useful prediction on what - if anything - a particular species will look like, there are plausible projections based on certain parameters.
 I share the opinion that making predictions or projections based on current evidence is infact good science. I think the problem Justcool has (and I share) is that often these predictions can have a knack of keeping one in a theoretical box, a box with dimensions that have been predicted or guessed, and hence may not be accurate, and hence may limit our scope of research.

That being said, I'm not sure there is necessarily a better alternative. We go by what we know, and what we know is limited. The minute we step outside of that, it becomes bias and conjecture.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by DeepSight(m): 3:12pm On Jun 08, 2010
Mad_Max:

Deep Sight, how could you write so much and say so little? grin Forgive me, but your circular reasoning and peculiar, self-congratulatory logic is beyond me. When you have something to say lesser mortals may understand as digestible, I'll try and stop getting on your bad side and pay attention. Don't let me stop you and justcool from walking off hand-in-hand into some Technicolour sunset though.

I give up on the 'war' of 'laws' and 'theories', Justcool. It's just semantics and pet definitions at cross-purposes. Changes nothing. Have it your way.

Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by JeSoul(f): 3:26pm On Jun 08, 2010
Lol@ Max and DS. Clash of the minds.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by thehomer: 4:48pm On Jun 08, 2010
JeSoul:

If I may jump in . . .  Homer, you may want to re-read and re-phrase the bolded. Are you saying a theory stands as truth unless evidence to the contrary is provided? then what is the point of calling it a theory in the first place? Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding you.

Of course you may. smiley It's an open forum.
It is a theory based on how it was arrived at and its function. i.e It was arrived at after considering the facts e.g fossils, common descent of animals shown in their DNA, shared proteins, geographical evidence.
Predictions made based on it that have been confirmed e.g new fossils found where expected,

Evolution observed in some organisms.

e.g here http://www.jstor.org/pss/2446125?cookieSet=1
and here. http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v82/n1/full/6884120a.html

All the above have been considered in formulating it. Also, new evidence presented has helped in clarifying certain aspects of it and making it approach what has been observed and what is expected to occur.
So in science, when a concept has been described as a theory, it is the availability of evidence demonstrating otherwise that will make it either be totally discarded or modified for increased accuracy.

Some view this process as a weakness in science but it is actually a strength because, more knowledge will be acquired as better tools become available.
So as a theory, what is left is for it to be falsified, or advanced but for it to be proven true would require absolute knowledge which is not currently feasible.

So the use of the word Theory has different meanings in plain English Language and in Science.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by KAG: 4:50pm On Jun 08, 2010
JeSoul:

I like this quote. I have a few questions if you don't mind KAG.
Are you saying a theory can never be proven to be fact? And also, care to explain what you mean by "science doesn't do proof"? Thanks.

Yes, I am indeed saying that a theory can never be proven to be fact. And this ties in to the answer to your  second question. By science doesn't do proof, I mean that science, especially in its modern synthesis, avoids the urge to declare a series of findings concluded and proved. Proof implies closure and dogma: an ideal closed to further examination and unchangeable. That idea stands in stark contrast to the goal of modern science, where the teaching follows the thought espoused by Buddha: "question everything". The idea of leaving findings and explanations open to falsification becomes paradoxical if something is declared proven.

I share the opinion that making predictions or projections based on current evidence is infact good science. I think the problem Justcool has (and I share) is that often these predictions can have a knack of keeping one in a theoretical box, a box with dimensions that have been predicted or guessed, and hence may not be accurate, and hence may limit our scope of research.

That being said, I'm not sure there is necessarily a better alternative. We go by what we know, and what we know is limited. The minute we step outside of that, it becomes bias and conjecture.

That's a good point and I'm sure it does happen. However, biases can be minimised by having peer-review and independent lines of evidence.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by Buzzzzzzzz: 5:12pm On Jun 08, 2010
I'm a reader here but I refrain from posting lest my throat be cut. I just need to drop my two cents quick.

Fact is a proven theory or simply a discovered fact. Laws are processes based on facts. Laws say that if this and this happens, this will occur. A law is not a fact or vice versa but laws are based on facts. Theories are processes based on some facts and educated guesses and conjecture. The reason why science is reluctant to label and box anything as fact and law any more is not because they aren't facts and laws but because they are facts and laws only under certain conditions. We cannot project all the possible conditions there can be and we thus box these facts and laws with a clause. The anomalous expansion of water. Superconductivity. The 'Special' theory of relativity. Absolute temperature. And a host of other similar things are good examples.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by MadMax1(f): 5:32pm On Jun 08, 2010
Makes tons of sense. I did wonder why scientists stuck to calling stuff 'theories' and then operate as if those things are facts. Welcome Buzzzzzzzz, and thank you for clarifying that.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by JeSoul(f): 6:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
@Homer, thanks for expounding. It was a matter of semantics. There were some shortcomings in how I phrased my question as well. I think I understand you better now. Thanks!

@KAG, thanks for the explanation. I may have one or two cherries to pick in your last post. I'll be back.

Buzzzzzzzz:

I'm a reader here but I refrain from posting lest my throat be cut. I just need to drop my two cents quick.

Fact is a proven theory or simply a discovered fact. Laws are processes based on facts. Laws say that if this and this happens, this will occur. A law is not a fact or vice versa but laws are based on facts. Theories are processes based on some facts and educated guesses and conjecture. The reason why science is reluctant to label and box anything as fact and law any more is not because they aren't facts and laws but because they are facts and laws only under certain conditions. We cannot project all the possible conditions there can be and we thus box these facts and laws with a clause. The anomalous expansion of water. Superconductivity. The 'Special' theory of relativity. Absolute temperature. And a host of other similar things are good examples.
@Buzzzz, perhaps you should post more sir. That was a very good explanation.
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
Mad_Max:

Makes tons of sense. I did wonder why scientists stuck to calling stuff 'theories' and then operate as if those things are facts. Welcome Buzzzzzzzz, and thank you for clarifying that.
But we depend almost solely on science and scientist for solution and answers to many things, what then can we do taking in mind the bolded? Mad Max
Some pple believe if science cant prove something it means such doesn't exist or its a myth

Buzzzzzzzz:

JeSoul:

@Buzzzz, perhaps you should post more sir. That was a very good explanation.
I think im with my honorable moderator on this
Re: The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' by justcool(m): 8:43pm On Jun 08, 2010
Buzzzzzzzz:

I have no probelm with the above, infact it is a good summery.

I think we have exhausted the issue of 'facts,' 'laws,' and 'theories.' I have nothing more to add to that.

@KAD
Evolution and Adaptation are not the same thing. There are no synonyms in science, each term has a different meaning.
In order not to make a long post, let me just ask you a question: If you asked in a science exam,

Is there any difference between evolution and adaptation?

What would your answer be. Please let me know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Interviews Lincoln Brewster: I Gave My Life To Christ At 19 / Pastor E.A. Adeboye Of RCCG Speaks On Make-up, Jewellery, Wigs & Bleached Hair: / Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 219
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.