Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,349 members, 7,819,244 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member (2181 Views)

10 Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria: Senate President Performs Last Function / 10 Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria. / Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by Mist100: 9:36am On Mar 29, 2017
I have been thinking about the power we have to recall rogue and thieving senators and reps members. Like Senator Hope Uzordinma, Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye ,James Manager and many crooks in the chambers.

1.Can lawyers or anyone else give us step by step process on how it can be done.

2. Can petitions be signed online to achieve this.

Enlighten us please. Thank you.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by Mist100: 9:44am On Mar 29, 2017
If you wish to recall your senator or reps click like otherwise share

7 Likes

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by Alawe(m): 10:23am On Mar 29, 2017
They are thieves because they refused to allow the senate to be controlled by the Executive and make it a passive assembly. I hope it is only you that will recall Hope Uzodimma becos his Orlu Zone that he represents has passed Vote of confidence on him. Since they are thieves, you are sure, blow the whistle and make money.

3 Likes

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by KINGOFTHEEAST: 10:28am On Mar 29, 2017
op when are you recalling remi tinubu ? she is as useless as a cheap wh*re just occupying the space at upper chamber no wonder dino knows she has reached menopause

4 Likes

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by three: 10:31am On Mar 29, 2017
In summary you need a specific number of signatures or endorsements from the constituency the issue however is that following the recall new elections will be held.

The candidate recalled has the right to participate in the new elections.

Doesn't mean the electorate should be discouraged.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by blackpanda: 10:49am On Mar 29, 2017
Under section 31 (5) of the electoral Act, Dino Melaye can be removed and disqualified by the High Court.

Any person from Kogi West senatorial district can go to court and ask that he be removed
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by blackpanda: 10:50am On Mar 29, 2017
[s]
KINGOFTHEEAST:
op when are you recalling remi tinubu ? she is as useless as a cheap wh*re just occupying the space at upper chamber no wonder dino knows she has reached menopause
[/s]

See person

1 Like

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by KINGOFTHEEAST: 10:53am On Mar 29, 2017
blackpanda:
[s][/s]
See person
see human

2 Likes

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by orunto27: 1:17pm On Mar 29, 2017
The Jews accused Jesus of corruption when they knew He was innocent. The electorates brought them to enjoy whatever they are now enjoying which the constitution grants them. So the hire and fire power is with the electorates.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by ndat(m): 1:37pm On Mar 29, 2017
orunto27:
The Jews accused Jesus of corruption when they knew He was innocent. The electorates brought them to enjoy whatever they are now enjoying which the constitution grants them. So the hire and fire power is with the electorates.
this doesn't proffer solution to the topic...., is just like telling us car can move when asked how car moves.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by Mist100: 3:23pm On Mar 29, 2017
orunto27:

tell us how
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by orunto27: 3:24pm On Mar 29, 2017
The Constitution should provide for that . It's the Engine that makes The NASS members move in and out of The Legislature.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by orunto27: 3:26pm On Mar 29, 2017
Mist100:

tell us how

I've answered how.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by todayboy: 3:29pm On Mar 29, 2017
how about removing buhari from office
am interested in that one

blackpanda:
Under section 31 (5) of the electoral Act, Dino Melaye can be removed and disqualified by the High Court.

Any person from Kogi West senatorial district can go to court and ask that he be removed

2 Likes

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by naptu2: 3:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
10 steps to recall a senator in Nigeria

By Clifford Ndujihe
July 19, 2016

Section 69 of the 1999 Constitution provides 10 clear but tortuous steps on how a senator can be recalled from the Senate.

The steps are:

1 More than half of the registered voters in the Senator’s senatorial district write, sign and send a petition to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC alleging their loss of confidence in the senatorial

2 The petition must be signed, and arranged according to polling units, wards, Local Government Areas, and constituency.

3 INEC notifies the Senator sought to be recalled, stating that it has received a petition for his or her recall, if the petition is valid

4 INEC issues a public notice or announcement stating the date, time and location of the verification of signatures to the petition

5 INEC verifies the signatures to the petition at the designation. The signatories must be individuals who appear on the voters’ register.

6 INEC conducts a referendum if more than one half (50% + 1) of the signatories are verified

7 INEC writes to the petitioners stating that the minimum requirements for a referendum were not met, if the number verified is less than one half of the registered voters in that constituency. The petition will therefore be dismissed.

8 INEC conducts a referendum within 90 days of receipt of the petition if the minimum requirements for a referendum are met. The referendum will be a simple yes or no vote on whether the Senator should be recalled, and will be decided by simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that Senator’s constituency.

9 If majority of the voters in the constituency vote ‘yes’ the Chairman of the INEC will send a Certificate of Recall to the Senate President to effect the recall.

10 The Senate President will show affected senator the way out of the Senate.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/10-steps-recall-senator-nigeria/
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by naptu2: 3:42pm On Mar 29, 2017
naptu2:

mikolo80: HOW CAN YOU CONDEMN SOM'N YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED YET

1) It's been done many times in the past. For example:

naptu2: I think there were attempts to recall Osita Izunaso and Arthur Nzeribe.

Early in 2009 there were moves to recall Izunaso, with a petition submitted by people of the Orlu Senatorial District of Imo state to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).[4] Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu dismissed the threats as baseless, pointing to the excellent work the Senator had done for the people of the state.[5] 

Both Izunaso and Ekweremadu were part of a lobby group opposed to dismissal of INEC chairman Professor Maurice Iwu despite the many problems of the 2007 elections. Izunaso's support for Iwu may have been because Iwu was responsible for conduct of the referendum on Izunaso's recall.[6]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osita_Izunaso

In April 2006 the Orlu People’s Consultative Assembly, sponsored by the governor of Imo state Achike Udenwa, staged what it called “One million March” to drum support for Nzeribe’s recall from the Senate.[6]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Nzeribe

having allegedly failed to apologise to Governor Godswill Akpabio over his recent utterances, the people of Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District, are expected to kick-start a recall process of Senator Aloysius Etok on Friday, May 10, 2013.

http://dailypost.ng/2013/05/09/akwa-ibom-indigenes-move-to-recall-senator-etok/

2) From past experience, the main obstacle is the process of collecting signatures.

3) Once you start collecting signatures, the politician will head to court to stop the process (the main aim of going to court is not really to get a court order to nullify the process, but to buy time).

4) The politician will start a money war . He will bribe, influence and coerce voters, so that they will not apend their signature to your petition.

5) The fact that someone has signed your petition does not mean that you are home and dry. The politician will bribe the person in order to get the person to allege that you forged his signature.

6) The police will arrest you for forgery.

7) The politician would have finished his tenure and moved on by the time that all the court cases (including regular appeals that will go all the way to the Supreme Court) are concluded.

8 ) The fact that you are able to collect the necessary signatures, does not mean that the politician will be removed from office. Referenda, just like elections, can be rigged.

9) Refer to PROUD-IGBO's post about unfortunate accidents

https://www.nairaland.com/856031/why-dont-recall-reps#24361121
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by profhezekiah: 3:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
blackpanda:
[s][/s]
See person
bros he is retarded

1 Like

Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by Olaposiwaju: 3:51pm On Mar 29, 2017
From the constitution, recalling a senator or house of rep member is more or less an impossible task.

But read below below and remaining via the link

INEC guidelines on recall of legislators
IN exercise of the powers conferred on it by Section 4 of the Independent National Electoral Commission Act 1998 and of all other powers enabling it in that behalf, the Independent National Electoral Commission (in these Guidelines referred to as "the Commission"wink hereby issues the following Guidelines for the recall of a member of the National Assembly or House of Assembly of a State and procedure for the conduct of a referendum for recall.

PART 1

(1) A petition for recall shall present the signatories arranged according to Polling Units, Ward, Local Government and Constituency.
(2) On receipt of a petition by the Chairman of the Commission for the recall of a member of the National Assembly or House of Assembly of a State by more than one-half of the persons registered to vote in that member's Constituency alleging their loss of confidence in that member, the Commission shall within 90 days:

(a) cross-check that the signatories appear on the authenticated Votes' Register; and if satisfied,

(b) conduct a referendum.

2. The Commission shall, soon after the receipt of the petition:

(1) notify the member sought to be recalled, stating the facts of the receipt of the petition for the recall of the member; and

(2) issue a public notice or announcement stating the days, time and location of cross-checking.

3. (1) The cross-checking shall be carried out at such centres as may be designated by the Commission within the constituency.

4. The power of control and supervision of cross-checking signatories to a petition for recall shall be vested in the Commission and any rules, regulations, circulars, manuals, directives and instructions given by the Commission regarding the cross-checking of petitions for recall shall be binding.

5. The Commission shall:

(a) cross-check which of the names of the signatories to the petition appear on the authentic Voters' Register; and

(b) enter the result of the cross-checking in the appropriate Form.

http://www.nigeriaworld.com/focus/republic/inecrecallguideline.html
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by dfrost: 4:46pm On Mar 29, 2017
cheesy grin
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by An0nimus: 9:25pm On Mar 29, 2017
naptu2:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/10-steps-recall-senator-nigeria/

The summary of this article is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to recall a senator in Nigeria.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by Mist100: 9:01am On Mar 31, 2017
An0nimus:

The summary of this article is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to recall a senator in Nigeria.

If certain provisions of the constitution makes it difficult to recall a senator. Can't the provisions be amended or removed.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by mikolo80: 7:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
naptu2:

then why is it in the constitution.
it just means you're not ready to remove him.
you think it's just to collect signatures.
of course corruption will fight back.
you then put up or shut up.
this is war.
prisoners will not be taken.
find a way to beat the courts.
and to beat the money he will start sharing and get ready to defend yourself from assassins. or endure the suffering. choose one
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by mikolo80: 7:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
naptu2:

and my the time you attempt to recall him every six months let's see how he will have money left to buy house in Dubai. make him share all the money on referenda after referenda. more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by naptu2: 7:09pm On Mar 31, 2017
mikolo80:
then why is it in the constitution.
it just means you're not ready to remove him.
you think it's just to collect signatures.
of course corruption will fight back.
you then put up or shut up.
this is war.
prisoners will not be taken.
find a way to beat the courts.
and to beat the money he will start sharing and get ready to defend yourself from assassins. or endure the suffering. choose one

You still don't get it. You said that it hasn't been done and I'm telling you that it's been done many times and I'm telling you what has happened every time it's been done. I'm not even saying that it that it shouldn't be done again. I'm simply telling you that it's been done many times and these have been the results.

In fact, later tonight I'll post cases of when it's been done and the result of those attempts.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by naptu2: 7:11pm On Mar 31, 2017
mikolo80:
and my the time you attempt to recall him every six months let's see how he will have money left to buy house in Dubai. make him share all the money on referenda after referenda. more than one way to skin a cat.

Again, it's not just about money. That's why I referred you to Igboboy's post about "unforeseen accidents". Many people have died while trying to get legislators recalled and I'll give examples later tonight.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by mikolo80: 7:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
naptu2:

Again, it's not just about money. That's why I referred you to Igboboy's post about "unforeseen accidents". Many people have died while trying to get legislators recalled and I'll give examples later tonight.
like I said you either put up or shut up.
imagine if the senator told you to bend over and take it up the wazoo or meet an unfortunate ''accident '',would you or would you fight back somehow?
same thing
only difference is level of interest
nobody is interested in making Nigeria or their community better. all na mouth. when e pain you well we go do som'n about it. till then.... don't forget nobody believed pdp could be beaten with federal might
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by naptu2: 7:26pm On Mar 31, 2017
mikolo80:
like I said you either put up or shut up.
imagine if the senator told you to bend over and take it up the wazoo or meet an unfortunate ''accident '',would you or would you fight back somehow?
same thing
only difference is level of interest
nobody is interested in making Nigeria or their community better. all na mouth. when e pain you well we go do som'n about it. till then.... don't forget nobody believed pdp could be beaten with federal might

Riiiigght, so what have YOU done to recall your representative. At least others have tried. What have you done?
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by mikolo80: 7:28pm On Mar 31, 2017
naptu2:

You still don't get it. You said that it hasn't been done and I'm telling you that it's been done many times and I'm telling you what has happened every time it's been done. I'm not even saying that it that it shouldn't be done again. I'm simply telling you that it's been done many times and these have been the results.

In fact, later tonight I'll post cases of when it's been done and the result of those attempts.
no, I said the person I replied had never tried it yet was laying in out like gospel. Who said they cannot be recalled. just say you never reach Un comot dem
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by mikolo80: 7:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
naptu2:

no wahala I'd love to read up and learn what not to do when I wanna run somebody outta town
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by naptu2: 7:31pm On Mar 31, 2017
mikolo80:
no, I said the person I replied had never tried it yet was laying in out like gospel. Who said they cannot be recalled. just say you never reach Un comot dem

Hahahahahahahahaha

I thought so grin

Anyway, thanks for cheering me up.
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by mikolo80: 7:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
naptu2:

Riiiigght, so what have YOU done to recall your representative. nothing
not a damned thing [/b]At least others have tried. [b] and I salute them
What have you done?
what I don't do is resign my self to fate and go ''o woe is me ''
if he's a coward he should continue his cowardice instead of souring ppls resolve to try to change the system
Re: How To Recall A Senator Or Reps Member by mikolo80: 7:35pm On Mar 31, 2017
naptu2:

Hahahahahahahahaha

I thought so grin

Anyway, thanks for cheering me up.
how we go do na
.we have to console oursef till the Messiah rises to the occasion

jungle go soon mature
we will soon pitch our hats into and enter the ring of politics and go toe to toe and challenge for the title.
enough of lamentations

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Seven-fold Yoke And The Cabal That Own Nigeria — By Femi Fani Kayode / South-south Leaders To FG On Biafra: Listen To The Cries Of Igbo - News / WAR OF POWER: Atiku Collapses In Tears, Sets The Entire North On Fire, As Obasan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.