Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,319 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Certification Or Degree? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Certification Or Degree? (12475 Views)

6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? / Certification Or Msc / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Certification Or Degree? by BiafranPound: 11:30am On Mar 30, 2017
experience is superior, followed by certificate and degreeĀ°
Re: Certification Or Degree? by cuteralph101(m): 11:37am On Mar 30, 2017
Kaeyzo:
Actually Certificate: Certificate gives you Many Skills while Degree gives academic qualification. I'm IT student but I had to enrolled certificates to learned Programming languages
where did u enrolled and hows d level of teaching?
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Bossman(m): 11:43am On Mar 30, 2017
They both have weight. You need a degree first to give you a solid understanding of the underlying principles. Then you can do certain certifications depending on area of specialization. At least that's the way I see if here in the USA. For example, my area of specialization is Java. So I have a number of certifications in Java. However, I also have a degree in software development. You can't go wrong with both.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by soldierdollar(m): 11:44am On Mar 30, 2017
Bizibi:
if you re good,you are good.
I don't have time looking at your certificate.

You can also employ someone without a certificate so long he has what you need.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Krucifax(m): 12:03pm On Mar 30, 2017
iihtNigeria:
Certification or Degree, which one do you think has more weight in IT? Please comment.

Consider this. The Degree is a foundation that can give you a GENERAL understanding of Information Technology.

However Certification is more specific and tells anyone that you are actually competent in a particular I.T field (Programming,Web Developer, Project Management,Analyst, Tester, Software Engineer,Developer,App Builder,Business Developer,1st and 2nd Line Support, Database Security,System Security etc)
The Degree doesn't teach or prepare you for the above. The Certification however does. And from an employment point of view you cannot get a job without being certified to show competence. Good luck.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Bizibi(m): 12:07pm On Mar 30, 2017
soldierdollar:

You can also employ someone without a certificate so long he has what you need.
as a Biz guy,that is what I look at now.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by oluseyieweh: 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2017
am an IT guy, it is obvious that certification is greater .
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 30, 2017
cuteralph101:
where did u enrolled and hows d level of teaching?
actually In India
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 30, 2017
richard870:
Many skills ba wo Pls lets not mis-inform people, I am final year I.T student and based on that can categorically say Degree Certificate only shows you passed through the curriculum of a University/Higher institution regarding your discipline while certification shows and your expertise/proficiency in certain areas of your discipline

FYI, most I.T/Computer Science students, especially those in their finals get confused when it comes to choosing a career path.Certification instills some level of confidence in an individual cuz it shows your prowess about a particular aspect of computing
I said it based on my experience. If you won't mind we can have debate on programming language likes Java,c,c++,c#,php,CSS,JavaScript,mysql,HTML,mysql.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 30, 2017
seun70:

You actually need both - one gives you the theoretical foundation whilst the other certifies the practical understanding.

Refer to the quoted response below and you would understand why both is needed.

thank u sir
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Ezebohirepurcha(m): 1:10pm On Mar 30, 2017
If IT is your right place of honour in earth. You'll excell, nothstanding what you've. Certificate or Degree.

For more facts on your right place of honour on earth. Visit nnendu.com/factsaboutinnatepotential
Re: Certification Or Degree? by richard870(m): 2:24pm On Mar 30, 2017
Kaeyzo:
I said it based on my experience. If you won't mind we can have debate on programming language likes Java,c,c++,c#,php,CSS,JavaScript,mysql,HTML,mysql.
OK. Why u wanna debate? ...teach me
Re: Certification Or Degree? by soldierdollar(m): 4:21pm On Mar 30, 2017
Bizibi:
as a Biz guy,that is what I look at now.

Then encourage your children to follow the same path
Re: Certification Or Degree? by mmsen: 1:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
soldierdollar:
Certification without a degree is like building a house in the air.

If you were hiring a programmer which would be more important to you - experience and skill as evidenced by project examples or a piece of paper?
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Mar 31, 2017
richard870:
OK. Why u wanna debate? ...teach me
not really just I want you to testify that I only sai the truth
Re: Certification Or Degree? by ocheejemb: 2:26pm On Mar 31, 2017
Most sensible jobs require a degree. As you progress in your career, then certification makes sense to show your expertise in a given area. They are supposed to be complementary and not exclusive.

To the people saying 'experience', if everyone asks for experience before giving you a job even at entry-level, how will you gain said experience.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by ocheejemb: 2:28pm On Mar 31, 2017
mmsen:

If you were hiring a programmer which would be more important to you - experience and skill as evidenced by project examples or a piece of paper?

Is experience and skill mutually exclusive from a degree and/or certification? Faced with two candidates with the same experience and skill, would you choose the guy with no 'peices of paper' to vouch for him or the guy with
Re: Certification Or Degree? by soldierdollar(m): 2:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
mmsen:

I'll hire a programmer.

If I'm looking for a university lecturer , who do I hire ?
If I'm looking for an engineer (in the real sense of engineering), who do I hire ?
If I'm looking for an accountant , who do I hire ?
If I'm looking for a pharmacist , do I hire a drug dispenser (aka chemist )?
If I'm looking for a professional nurse do I look for a quack with certification?
If I'm looking for an architect , whom do I hire ?
If I'm looking for a banker do I hire an o level holder with certification over a degree holder?
If I want to venture into politics, do I go for certification?
A lawyer nko ? Who I go hire ?
Getting a skill is good , but comparing a certification with a degree is dumb .

Get a degree if you can. A 6 month certification program will limit your life if you rely on it.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by ocheejemb: 2:47pm On Mar 31, 2017
Kaeyzo:
Actually Certificate: Certificate gives you Many Skills while Degree gives academic qualification. I'm IT student but I had to enrol certificates to learned Programming languages

That's a symptom of our broken education system. Ideally, you would learn to program much better from studying at University.
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 31, 2017
ocheejemb:

That's a symptom of our broken education system. Ideally, you would learn to program much better from studying at University.
sorry is not in Nigeria. It is India
Re: Certification Or Degree? by cuteralph101(m): 8:28pm On Apr 01, 2017
Kaeyzo:
actually In India
expensive Shit....i know of ACIT. Hows d fees like
Re: Certification Or Degree? by cuteralph101(m): 8:30pm On Apr 01, 2017
Kaeyzo:
actually In India
oh Boy! Ain't it too expensive
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 01, 2017
cuteralph101:
expensive Shit....i know of ACIT. Hows d fees like
its depends and i think not too expensive if you are studying Here, with less than 100k Naira you can undergo a Great course
Re: Certification Or Degree? by cuteralph101(m): 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2017
Kaeyzo:
its depends and i think not too expensive if you are studying Here, with less than 100k Naira you can undergo a Great course
like seriously? Wow thanks ...really need more briefing tho. If u can drop ur contact or something I can really ask lots of questions
Re: Certification Or Degree? by LOSKYXANDER: 7:00pm On Apr 06, 2017
Bossman:
They both have weight. You need a degree first to give you a solid understanding of the underlying principles. Then you can do certain certifications depending on area of specialization. At least that's the way I see if here in the USA. For example, my area of specialization is Java. So I have a number of certifications in Java. However, I also have a degree in software development. You can't go wrong with both.
I am considering a masters degree in an Information Technology (IT) related field after my BSC (Geology). How possible is this? will I face stiff competition in the job market due to my BSC background?
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Bossman(m): 7:04pm On Apr 07, 2017
That's very possible. Depending on your focus, you may need to take some remedial courses just to bring you up to speed. I am basing this on USA standards. I have worked with software developers with a non-IT BS degree. For examnple, mathematice, Engineering, and even Businness/finance. Of course, they all had masters degree in IT. As I said, if you focus is programming for example, you may have to take some remedial programming courses in order to meet the prerequisites of the IT degree.

LOSKYXANDER:

I am considering a masters degree in an Information Technology (IT) related field after my BSC (Geology). How possible is this? will I face stiff competition in the job market due to my BSC background?
Re: Certification Or Degree? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 09, 2017
cuteralph101:
like seriously? Wow thanks ...really need more briefing tho. If u can drop ur contact or something I can really ask lots of questions
no bad you can send me pm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Assist My Father Recover What Was Stolen From Him By The Government? / Maternity, Paternity Leave: Oyo Workers May Enjoy 6 Months, 4 Weeks Respectively / Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.