Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,221 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Trouble Shooting A Wordpress Website Crash - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Trouble Shooting A Wordpress Website Crash (326 Views)

Who Else Wants To Create A Wordpress Website / Get A Wordpress Website Now For Just 8000ngn / MMM Dominates Google Trend As Crash Fears Heighten (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Trouble Shooting A Wordpress Website Crash by GreatZaza(m): 12:37pm On Mar 30, 2017
Trouble shooting a wordpress website crash
Today I will be looking at white screen of death

If you are a developer, administrator/super user, you own your personal blog or business website then this lecture is for you. But if you are an English teacher then I recommend you stay away from this thread. grin
This is a brief solution to one of the common crashes in Wordpress site, and I won’t be using any web development term so as not to get u guys bored.
White screen of death causes and solution
When I first encountered white screen of death, I thought my site has just got hacked or something very serious had happened. As it is the case with majority of new Wordpress websites. I am here to assure you that you don’t have to panic that in just a few simple steps your site will be up and running, too butter the beauty of this you must not be a webmaster, developer or neither do you need the services of any. Without wasting your time let’s get down to business.
[center] What is white screen of death?
[/center]

Wordpress white screen of death is a common manifestation of php and or database errors as a white blank screen without any information. Have you ever found yourself in a position whereby all of a sudden both the backend and frontend of your site just turn white, i.e. you can’t login through the backend and you can’t see anything in the frontend. When it first happened to me I felt like breaking my laptop but with this few steps I was able to get things running smoothly.
Causes and solution of Wordpress white screen of death
Before you panic when you encounter white screen of death in wordpress it is important to understand the following common causes of this error.
1. Plugins incompatibility

Many a times when I have encountered white screen of death, the cause has been due to plugins conflict, conflict with wordpress core files or an existing wordpress theme. Wordpress plugins should be coded according to wordpress plugin standards, this help to avoid conflict with other plugins.
SOLUTION
If you suspect that a plugin is causing the white screen of death or maybe it was the last component you installed before encountering such problem.
I. Go to the backend of your site, go to plugins then to installed plugins and delete or deactivate the plugin.
II. If your backend is also experiencing the white screen of death I recommend you go to the wordpress folder navigate to wp-content, then to plugins, you will definitely see the plugins folder; Delete the folder or rename it to something else then reload your backend and front end to get a smooth sail(interpretation when you reload wordpress will want to load that same plugin but for the fact that wordpress won’t be able to access the plugin again, being that you have changed the identity of the plugin, so wordpress will be like ok since I can’t find it I will use the default wordpress core plugin) .

2. Conflict with other plugins.

In as much as plugins help in the smooth functionality of most dynamic websites, it is generally advisable to limit the amount of plugins you install in a website.
Another major cause of wordpress white screen of death is plugins conflicts, if you suspect this is the cause of the error .
solution
I. You should deactivate all the plugins one by one. This will allow you to identify the trouble maker that is causing the problem; Note while removing them you always reload the front end to see if the white screen of death is still there.
II. If your backend is also experiencing the white screen of death I recommend you go to the wordpress folder navigate to wp-content, then to plugins, you will definitely see the plugins folder; remove the folder of each plugin one after the other and reload your backend and front end to get a smooth sail(interpretation when you reload wordpress will want to load that same plugin but for the fact that wordpress won’t be able to access the plugin again, being that you have removed the plugin, so wordpress will be like ok since I can’t find it I will use the default wordpress core plugin with all your content still intact) .

3. Theme Errors.

There are a number of issues that can result to wordpress white screen of death that are related to wordpress themes, here are the causes and solutions.
Another encounter I had with wordpress white screen of death was caused because the theme was not compatible with the wordpress version I was using. So to do this we only have our normal two steps
SOLUTION
I. Go to the backend of your site, go to appearance navigate to themes then to installed themes and delete or deactivate the theme. i.e if your backend is not experiencing white screen of death.
II. If your backend is also experiencing the white screen of death I recommend you go to the wordpress folder navigate to wp-content, then to themes, you will definitely see the themes folder; remove/delete the folder of the theme and reload your backend and front end to get a smooth sail.(interpretation when you reload wordpress will want to load that same theme but for the fact that wordpress won’t be able to access the theme again, being that you have removed the theme, so wordpress will be like ok since I can’t find it I will use the default wordpress core theme with all your content still intact)
Expect my more explanatory tutorial on building wordpress, Joomla website from scratch, and also how you can build a Multilanguage website without any conflicting plugin, add a module, video, audio or even embedded media’s to your joomla article or page in just few steps without plugins.
Contact me for your website Development, Trouble shooting, Search engine indexing for better traffic, and lots more.

(1) (Reply)

Google Adwords Tips: The Power Of Using The Right Keywords / If You Have A Good Business, Check Here I Have A Good Idea For Your Business / 24 Important Windows Keyboard Shortcuts That Make You Operate Your PC Faster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.