Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm (37856 Views)

Trump Is Taking America To The Brink / Can Yul Edoche And Kcee Change The Anambra Political Scene? / Where Is James Ibori ??? As Delta State Go Silent On The Political Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 1:05am On Mar 31, 2017
Antonia Okafor is one of America’s foremost advocates of concealed carry on campus. In 2015, Antonia made a permanent mark in the second amendment community, when she became the Southwest Regional Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus(SCCC), where she advocated for the passing and successful implementation of the concealed carry on campus in Texas law known as, “campus carry.”

The National Rifle Association (NRA) took notice of her activism and had her star in one of their “Freedom’s Safest Place” commercials, a national campaign that highlights the diversity of NRA members. A current graduate student at the University of Texas at Dallas, Antonia shows no signs of slowing down.

https://antoniaokafor.com/about/

Leader Spotlight: Antonia Okafor

Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you became involved in NeW?

I am a current Public Affairs graduate student at The University of Texas at Dallas. I earned my bachelors degree at UT Dallas as well in 2013. I worked as a field representative for Greg Abbott for Texas Governor Campaign in 2014 and was a Running Start/Walmart Star Fellow in Senator Kelly Ayotte’s DC office last year. In January of this year, I was sworn in as Precinct Chair of my local neighborhood precinct. I hope to run for office in the future.

I became involved with NeW after meeting President Karin Agness last year while interning in DC. She was speaking at a Leadership Institute Women in Leadership training and spoke about founding NeW. A couple of months ago, I decided to start a chapter at my university and currently serve as the President of that chapter.

What made you want to start a NeW chapter?

Although my school has a couple of groups for women, all of them are focused on the radical feminist movement. There was no safe space for women with conservative values and beliefs, other than at college bible study. But even then, politics is not usually shared in those spaces. I wanted there to be a variety of voices when it came to women in politics and leadership.

What advice do you have for other women on campus who may want to start a NeW chapter?

Be prepared for vocal opposition from your peers and your school. Conservative issues are usually not popular on college campuses. But cling to your conservative community, men and women alike, and stand strong and unified together. Remember, unlike the feminist movement that brings men down, conservative women believe that men are just as pivotal in uplifting women.

Congratulations on your nomination for Next Political Rising Star Award at Running Start’s Young Women to Watch Awards. Can you describe what this award entails and how you became nominated?

The Next Political Rising Star Award is a part of Running Start’s Annual Young Women to Watch Awards. The title comes with a $5000 grant that will go towards a nonpartisan project of my choosing. If I am awarded the prize, I will put it as seed money for a nonprofit organization that I will start. The nonprofit will equip passionate, driven high school girls who aspire to go to top universities, graduate with little to no debt and pursue public office. This will be done through mentorship, college prep resources and financial literacy education. In order to get to the finalist position, I was selected from many other applications to be one of 10 semifinalists in February to compete for the finalist round. We all collected signatures, online votes and campaigned for support. Those with the highest numbers earned their way to the last round. On April 21st, Tuesday evening, an audience of over 250 will vote for the winner. The other two finalists will receive $500 and the Alumna in Action Award.

What advice do you have for other women who may want to get involved in the political nonprofit sphere?

My advice is to follow the goals of NeW: Network, Enlighten and Women. Network by taking as many opportunities as possible to learn about your community, its’ needs and how you as an individual can provide solutions. That all begins by talking to people and building relationships. Enlighten-take the knowledge you have gained through your personal education, work and life experience and share that knowledge with others. Women-women are not single issue voters, we don’t believe empowerment is reserved for the Democrat party and we certainly do not all believe in the War on Women. Be an ambassador for the diversity of thought among all female organizations. Convey to the world the power of a conservative woman. And in whatever you do, do it with purpose and passion.

https://enlightenedwomen.org/leader-spotlight-antonia-okafor/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by sarrki(m): 1:08am On Mar 31, 2017
following
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ExplorerReturns(m): 1:17am On Mar 31, 2017
who on earth is surprised by this news? WE ARE ALREADY THE MOST INTELLIGENT BLACK RACE IN THE WORLD

ziga:

WE

No, we are a race with so many problems.

We are a race with established systems (Political, cultural, religious) that are made to suppress the poor, women and children or people with views contrary to ours.

She is only a success because she is in America, where she can have a significant amount of freedom.

If she was in Nigeria, churches will criticize her for what she is wearing. Haters will complain about her makeup and wig.

People will call her olosho or say she is carrying gun.

WE are no intelligent than other races but we are so hateful... Especially of our own kind. it is sickening.

AFONJA

92 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Blackfire(m): 1:25am On Mar 31, 2017
Good... Gooder.... Goodest

1 Like

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by iykofias(m): 1:49am On Mar 31, 2017
Her career has gone far n I'm here still editing my CV kiss

I spit on all the founders of this nation angry

104 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by deebest(m): 2:26am On Mar 31, 2017
well done dear. Keep the good work going

1 Like

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Horus(m): 3:01am On Mar 31, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw39aaEZ8uQ

Antonia Okafor on Campus Carry

11 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Nobody: 6:28am On Mar 31, 2017
Just going to chill here and read the comments... * sipstea*
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ElsonMorali: 7:18am On Mar 31, 2017
Uhm... I like it when a Nigerian is making waves (good ones of course) outside the country.

But advocating for carrying concealed weapons in school campuses where it is known that there are lots of weed smokers is actually dumb dumb.

I pray she doesn't become a victim of what she's championing.

6 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 7:50am On Mar 31, 2017
Not necessarily advocating for gun proliferation. But don't you think that the so called "weed smokers" would be more cautious with their triggers if they are sure that every other person on campus is pretty ready and trained to pull the trigger too?

I want to assume that with concealed carry, the "high" gun carriers will always be outnumbered by the sane carriers on any campus. And, IMO, that's a good thing for both collective and individual safety.

ElsonMorali:
Uhm... I like it when a Nigerian is making waves (good ones of course) outside the country.

But advocating for carrying concealed weapons in school campuses where it is known that there are lots of weed smokers is actually dumb dumb.

I pray she doesn't become a victim of what she's championing.

5 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ElsonMorali: 7:57am On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
Not necessarily advocating for gun proliferation. But don't you think that the so called "weed smokers" would be more cautious with their triggers if they are sure that every other person on campus is pretty ready and trained to pull the trigger two?

I want to assume that with concealed carry, the "high" gun carriers will always be outnumbered by the sane carriers on any campus. And, IMO, that's a good thing for both collective and individual safety.

Hasn't it occurred to you that the more there are guns in a location the more the possibility of gun related deaths?

Everybody is carrying a gun because they can afford or steal or borrow one.

Next stop is to start popping off each other for perceived insults or slights, real or imagined.

9 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Ikigia: 8:01am On Mar 31, 2017
Go make us proud.....well-done!
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 8:03am On Mar 31, 2017
You sure have a point there.

But on a flip side, it's also possible that folks will learn to be more courteious and less provocative when it's clear that no one has a monopoly on violence.

ElsonMorali:

Hasn't it occurred to you that the more there are guns in a location the more the possibility of gun related deaths?

Everybody is carrying a gun because they can afford or steal or borrow one.

Next stop is to start popping off each other for perceived insults or slights, real or imagined.

8 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by BlackBaron: 8:10am On Mar 31, 2017
This is not a very decent cause in my opinion.
America already has one of the biggest gun deaths in the developed world.
Massachusetts is probably the only outlier in the gun violence stakes in the US due to tough gun laws.

In general, American deaths per year are 3 times the death rates for countries already developed.

Note gun deaths also includes suicide, violence, mishandling, etc. It's no wonder, death can visit them faster than a bullet train takes to reach its destination.

5 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ElsonMorali: 8:26am On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
You sure have a point there.

But on a flip side, it's also possible that folks will learn to be more courteious and less provocative when it's clear that no one has a monopoly on violence.

It has never worked that way before.

You are thinking that way because you're probably a decent person. Can you make the same claim for others on the same campus?

Some are frustrated and want to take it out on others, others are from dysfunctional homes and wouldn't mind killing others If only to get the attention they have been denied at home.

And so many cases of unstable minds. Placing guns in their hands doesn't make any sense at all.

That you won't misuse it don't mean someone else won't.

12 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 8:34am On Mar 31, 2017
Sure, of course. Not everybody is stable enough to handle the responsibility that comes with the freedom to carry weapons legally.

But that's also the reason guns are hardly sold to every dick and harry in the US. I'm aware that there's a measure of background check that goes into play before a gun is purchased, at least in some states.

So, rather than banning guns on campuses (a rule the nut jobs will flout anyway throug illegal gun rings) why not use legislation to ensure that most of those mentally unfit people and minors cannot purchase gun in the open market?

ElsonMorali:

It has never worked that way before.

You are thinking that way because you're probably a decent person. Can you make the same claim for others on the same campus?

Some are frustrated and want to take it out on others, others are from dysfunctional homes and wouldn't mind killing others If only to get the attention they have been denied at home.

And so many cases of unstable minds. Placing guns in their hands doesn't make any sense at all.

That you won't misuse it don't mean someone else won't.

2 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by FellepHq(m): 9:04am On Mar 31, 2017
Why not Young Nigeria-American Girl?

3 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by AZeD1(m): 9:07am On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
Sure, of course. Not everybody is stable enough to handle the responsibility that comes with the freedom to carry weapons legally.

But that's also the reason guns are hardly sold to every dick and harry in the US. I'm aware that there's a measure of background check that goes into play before a gun is purchased, at least in some states.

So, rather than banning guns on campuses (a rule the nut jobs will flout anyway throug illegal gun rings) why not use legislation to ensure that most of those mentally unfit people and minors cannot purchase gun in the open market?

The problem of gun death cannot be solved by bringing out more guns.
If nobody is allowed to carry a gun, you wouldn't need one to protect yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 9:27am On Mar 31, 2017
Unfortunately the reality is that gun ban only prevents GOOD people to pursue self-defence. But it does not stop bad people from procuring guns. If it did, we would not have armed robbers and other terribly armed anti-social groups.

Thus a blanket ban on gun simply gives the bad guys a monopoly on violence; and makes the good people weak, vulnerable and cut off from self-defence.

AZeD1:

The problem of gun death cannot be solved by bringing out more guns.
If nobody is allowed to carry a gun, you wouldn't need one to protect yourself.

9 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 9:31am On Mar 31, 2017
Because it's offensive to be Igbo and politically incorrect to flaunt her roots, right?

FellepHq:
Why not Young Nigeria-American Girl?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Nigerian Election Was Not Free Nor Fair And INEC Lied- Bolanle Olukanni / Names And Details Of Boko Haram Members Arested In Lagos,enugu / Photos OF The Co-ordinator Of Attacks On Chevron & NNPC Pipelines In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.