Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm (37888 Views)

Trump Is Taking America To The Brink / Can Yul Edoche And Kcee Change The Anambra Political Scene? / Where Is James Ibori ??? As Delta State Go Silent On The Political Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by AZeD1(m): 9:42am On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
Unfortunately the reality is that gun ban only prevents GOOD people to pursue self-defence. But it does not stop bad people from procuring guns. If it did, we would not have armed robbers and other terribly armed anti-social groups.

Thus a blanket ban on gun simply gives the bad guys a monopoly on violence; and makes the good people weak, vulnerable and cut off from self-defence.

Check out gun violence in Australia after the they banned gun.
Also check out gun violence in the UK
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by FellepHq(m): 9:47am On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
Because it's offensive to be Igbo and politically incorrect to flaunt her roots, right?

I just asked a question, I need answers, I don't know why, maybe Op can furnish us with one
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by kingzizzy: 9:48am On Mar 31, 2017
FellepHq:
Why not Young Nigeria-American Girl?

Because that not how she would have been potrayed by the 'name checkers' had she been a prostitute, thief or drugpusher.

Besides, there is nothing like 'one Nigeria', not for most Igbos anyway

9 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 9:52am On Mar 31, 2017
She is an Igbo girl, that's why.

FellepHq:

I just asked a question, I need answers, I don't know why, maybe Op can furnish us with one

4 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by DavidEsq(m): 10:49am On Mar 31, 2017
ExplorerReturns:
who on earth is surprised by this news? WE ARE ALREADY THE MOST INTELLIGENT BLACK RACE IN THE WORLD

And the most dubious also. In fact, u excel in every aspect (good or bad). Respect.

1 Like

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by bantudra: 10:59am On Mar 31, 2017
igbos help everybody in the world,except nigeria...
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 31, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Hasn't it occurred to you that the more there are guns in a location the more the possibility of gun related deaths?

Everybody is carrying a gun because they can afford or steal or borrow one.

Next stop is to start popping off each other for perceived insults or slights, real or imagined.

You got that right. There's nothing to be proud of in this Stacey dash ass girl. Only waves being made here are in the neocon sphere. They love being able to put a black face on gun/carry , 'police always right' etc
standpoints. There's way more impressive igbos out there worthy of such a post. But not this one.

4 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ElsonMorali: 11:28am On Mar 31, 2017
Dasuks:

You got that right. There's nothing to be proud of in this Stacey dash ass girl. Only waves being made here are in the neocon sphere. They love being able to put a black face on gun/carry , 'police always right' etc
standpoints. There's way more impressive igbos out there worthy of such a post. But not this one.

I'm glad somebody sees my point.
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ElsonMorali: 11:40am On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
Sure, of course. Not everybody is stable enough to handle the responsibility that comes with the freedom to carry weapons legally.

But that's also the reason guns are hardly sold to every dick and harry in the US. I'm aware that there's a measure of background check that goes into play before a gun is purchased, at least in some states.

So, rather than banning guns on campuses (a rule the nut jobs will flout anyway throug illegal gun rings) why not use legislation to ensure that most of those mentally unfit people and minors cannot purchase gun in the open market?

Have you noticed that people generally don't know whether someone is mentally stable or unstable until after they have committed a crime? No?

Mad people in the U.S don't often go about in dirty rags with dreadlocks, the type obtainable in Nigeria.

Their own psychos go around in Armani business suits, priest's robes, police uniforms, judges gowns, etc sometimes with government details and paychecks.

And most times the crimes are committed by members of these outstanding citizens' households like kids and wives because they have access to their father's or husband's guns.

They should make possession of firearms illegal. For everybody. Unless you're in the military or police. AND ON DUTY

A gun isn't a kitchen utensil nor is it a school equipment.

Americans are crazy about rights and freedoms.

There's no absolute freedom anywhere unless you wanna turn the place into a jungle.

Besides the background check you mentioned, doesn't work. Especially when there are black markets where you can buy used guns.

3 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 12:07pm On Mar 31, 2017
At the bolded just nailed it.

Fact is, placing a blanket ban on guns DOES NOT stop the bad guys from buying guns and using them. If any thing, the ban only stops the GOOD folks from seeking self-defence thereby giving the bad guys a monopoly on extra judicial violence.

That's exactly why the second amendment community is thriving and unquencheable. They have a valid claim.

ElsonMorali:

Have you noticed that people generally don't know whether someone is mentally stable or unstable until after they have committed a crime? No?

Mad people in the U.S don't often go about in dirty rags with dreadlocks, the type obtainable in Nigeria.

Their own psychos go around in Armani business suits, priest's robes, police uniforms, judges gowns, etc sometimes with government details and paychecks.

And most times the crimes are committed by members of these outstanding citizens' households like kids and wives because they have access to their father's or husband's guns.

They should make possession of firearms illegal. For everybody. Unless you're in the military or police. AND ON DUTY

A gun isn't a kitchen utensil nor is it a school equipment.

Americans are crazy about rights and freedoms.

There's no absolute freedom anywhere unless you wanna turn the place into a jungle.

Besides the background check you mentioned, doesn't work. Especially when there are black markets where you can buy used guns.
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ElsonMorali: 12:13pm On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
At the bolded just nailed it.

Fact is, placing a blanket ban on guns DOES NOT stop the bad guys from buying guns and using them. If any thing, the ban only stops the GOOD folks from seeking self-defence thereby giving the bad guys a monopoly on extra judicial violence.

That's exactly why the second amendment community is thriving and unquencheable. They have a valid claim.

No they don't.

You don't overcome terrorism by making everybody a terrorist.

What happened to putting stricter gun regulations in place?

What happened to "prevention is better than cure" methods?

2 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by paschu: 12:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
@Lalasticlala, I understand that you prefer snakes to guns, but this young woman is at least standing for something. Is that not worth celeberating?

You have no idea how many young women who will be emboldened to follow their passion and venture into political activism just by seeing this post. Don't you think that such a move would be more beneficial to us all than the current trend of Instagram ponography and prostitution?

Or is something else keeping you, mynd44 and afam4eva from moving this thread to the front page?

Okay, just make your concern clear and I will adress it ASAP. wink

Otherwise, you guys should do the needful. In fact a huge number of based Americans are celeberating this damsel on Reddit right now as we speak:

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/62dzas/antonia_okafor_is_constantly_attacked_for_being_a/

Let's do the needful joor. grin
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by bedspread: 1:17pm On Mar 31, 2017
iykofias:
Her career has gone far n I'm here still editing my CV kiss

I spit on all the founders of this nation angry
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
EAZY BROOOOO... EAZIII
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by TheEvilPriest(m): 1:20pm On Mar 31, 2017
I detest feminist and women who ride men down but this movement by this girl is going to be far worse.

1 Like

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by jtwest(m): 1:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
wetin be campus carry abeg?
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by justjify(m): 1:22pm On Mar 31, 2017
grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Some body tell me...

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ziga: 1:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
ExplorerReturns:
who on earth is surprised by this news? WE ARE ALREADY THE MOST INTELLIGENT BLACK RACE IN THE WORLD

WE

No, we are a race with so many problems.

We are a race with established systems (Political, cultural, religious) that are made to suppress the poor, women and children or people with views contrary to ours.

She is only a success because she is in America, where she can have a significant amount of freedom.

If she was in Nigeria, churches will criticize her for what she is wearing. Haters will complain about her makeup and wig.

People will call her olosho or say she is carrying gun.

WE are no intelligent than other races but we are so hateful... Especially of our own kind. it is sickening.

5 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by hucienda: 1:34pm On Mar 31, 2017
I've watched some of her political discourse shows.

Christian. Conservative. American (with Igbo ancestry).

Antonia Okafor. A Republican - true and through.
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 31, 2017
iykofias:
Her career has gone far n I'm here still editing my CV kiss

I spit on all the founders of this nation angry
Lol chai easy o
Maybe theres hope for our nation .. i believe in miracles cheesy
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 31, 2017
ExplorerReturns:
What's intelligent about advocating for guns in classrooms, laboratories and libraries?
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by NarnieSnyper(m): 1:51pm On Mar 31, 2017
Damn, that's one nice piece she's got there.

I am a big fan of guns. Looks like a desert eagle
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by ttmacoy: 1:52pm On Mar 31, 2017
This is not advocating for guns to be allowed on campus or not, but saying no guns means you don't need to protect yourself isn't correct e.g. look at London where guns are not easily available yet knife killings persist. Also those criminals who really want one are still able to get guns though underground means.

While not at the level of the US, there has been an increase in gun shootings as well in London.

AZeD1:

The problem of gun death cannot be solved by bringing out more guns.
If nobody is allowed to carry a gun, you wouldn't need one to protect yourself.
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Idoko619(m): 1:57pm On Mar 31, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Hasn't it occurred to you that the more there are guns in a location the more the possibility of gun related deaths?

Everybody is carrying a gun because they can afford or steal or borrow one.
Next stop is to start popping off each other for perceived insults or slights, real or imagined.

Some thing must kill a man...wu wan die go die....its beta to b able t defend ursef dat bin killed like a chicken....
Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by cstr151: 2:01pm On Mar 31, 2017
An igbo immigrant who is pro-gun?
If she has a good head on her shoulders, i expect the neo-cons to take advantage and market her.
Anything i don't see her going too far in the American politicosphere. Black people will never support such politics.
A poor man's Ben carson.

2 Likes

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Chukazu: 2:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
paschu:
Not necessarily advocating for gun proliferation. But don't you think that the so called "weed smokers" would be more cautious with their triggers if they are sure that every other person on campus is pretty ready and trained to pull the trigger two?

I want to assume that with concealed carry, the "high" gun carriers will always be outnumbered by the sane carriers on any campus. And, IMO, that's a good thing for both collective and individual safety.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38365729

Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world. In 2014 there were just six gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US. What is the secret?
If you want to buy a gun in Japan you need patience and determination. You have to attend an all-day class, take a written exam and pass a shooting-range test with a mark of at least 95%.
There are also mental health and drugs tests. Your criminal record is checked and police look for links to extremist groups. Then they check your relatives too - and even your work colleagues. And as well as having the power to deny gun licences, police also have sweeping powers to search and seize weapons.
That's not all. Handguns are banned outright. Only shotguns and air rifles are allowed.
The law restricts the number of gun shops. In most of Japan's 40 or so prefectures there can be no more than three, and you can only buy fresh cartridges by returning the spent cartridges you bought on your last visit.
Image copyrightALAMY
Image caption
A photo posed by models - even Japanese gangsters rarely use guns these days
Police must be notified where the gun and the ammunition are stored - and they must be stored separately under lock and key. Police will also inspect guns once a year. And after three years your licence runs out, at which point you have to attend the course and pass the tests again.

This helps explain why mass shootings in Japan are extremely rare. When mass killings occur, the killer most often wields a knife.
My Perfect Country

In a world where a lot is going wrong there is also a lot going right. So what if you could build a country with policies that actually worked, by homing in ideas around the world that have been truly successful?
Listen to My Perfect Country on the BBC World Service
Or download the podcast
Email the programme

The current gun control law was introduced in 1958, but the idea behind the policy dates back centuries.
"Ever since guns entered the country, Japan has always had strict gun laws," says Iain Overton, executive director of Action on Armed Violence and the author of Gun Baby Gun.

"They are the first nation to impose gun laws in the whole world and I think it laid down a bedrock saying that guns really don't play a part in civilian society."
People were being rewarded for giving up firearms as far back as 1685, a policy Overton describes as "perhaps the first ever gun buyback initiative".

The result is a very low level of gun ownership - 0.6 guns per 100 people in 2007, according to the Small Arms Survey, compared to 6.2 in England and Wales and 88.8 in the US.

"The moment you have guns in society, you will have gun violence but I think it's about the quantity," says Overton. "If you have very few guns in society, you will almost inevitably have low levels of violence."

Japanese police officers rarely use guns and put much greater emphasis on martial arts - all are expected to become a black belt in judo. They spend more time practising kendo (fighting with bamboo swords) than learning how to use firearms.

"The response to violence is never violence, it's always to de-escalate it. Only six shots were fired by Japanese police nationwide [in 2015]," says journalist Anthony Berteaux. "What most Japanese police will do is get huge futons and essentially roll up a person who is being violent or drunk into a little burrito and carry them back to the station to calm them down."

Media captionJapanese police practise martial arts every week and avoid using weapons whenever they can

Overton contrasts this with the American model, which he says has been "to militarise the police".
"If you have too many police pulling out guns at the first instance of crime, you lead to a miniature arms race between police and criminals," he says.
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES

To underline the taboo attached to inappropriate use of weapons, an officer who used his gun to kill himself was charged posthumously with a criminal offence. He carried out the act while on duty - policeme

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Antonia Okafor Taking America's Political Scene By Storm by Idoko619(m): 2:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
It is not legal and evry cultist nd weedsmokers in skul v one or knw sm1 dat v 1.... Pls we nid such legalisation in Nigeria to.... Atlist let sm1 die protecting him/hersef dan dieing like a sallah Ram

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reps Threaten Onyeama, Lawmakers Invite Allen Onyema, Air Peace Boss / Jubilation In Seme As FG Reopens Four Land Borders / New Amazing Look Of Patience Jonathan - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.