Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience (15936 Views)

New Mums! Increase Breast Milk Production. / 5 Surprising Foods That Helps You Sleep Better / Is It Proper/Healthy For A Man To Suck His Wife's Bosom Milk? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience by gechyy2(f): 8:40am On Mar 31, 2017
Nursing immediately after birth was not so cool for me as I didn’t produce milk for few days unlike some mothers that produce immediately and it flows like tap water. My case was different even when it eventually started flowing hmmm- low milk production, I had to personally put lots of pressure before milk came out. Baby found it difficult to latch on because of a flat nipple, nobody told me hubby needed to do a more conscious job on the nipples before the baby came. Then came sore nipple o, the pain was excruciating but you are told to nurse anyways.

We managed that way but the baby was always crying and I found out he wasn’t getting enough of the supply, so I had to switch to formula for support(though I still gave more of breast milk) before my son will die of hunger. It worked like magic- less cry, satisfaction written all over him when he’s done taking formula.

But I wasn’t satisfied I really wanted to do exclusive breastfeeding. After one month of formula+ breast milk I decided to stop formula and switch to only breast milk even with the sore nipple I decided to endure and seriously put a conscious effort on learning and practicing first-hand foods that will help my breast milk production.

These were the foods that helped me and still help me as I’m nursing presently. Note- it may not work for you but it did for me, you could still try it.

1. Beans: Surprising right? Beans actually help my milk production, in fact when I first noticed it, I was overwhelmed, the milk will flow to the extent you would hear baby gulping and swallowing, it gives me joy when I hear that. Beans are high in protein and fiber, I don’t know why but it comes to my rescue when I need it.

2. Rice: The local rice to be precise(brown rice) aside from the fact that it’s nutritious, it also helps my milk production like kilode!.

3. Kunu: This is a very delicious drink made from millet, it never disappoints, when taken my breast is filled with milk that I have to wear a breast pad.

4. Pap: It’s a very common food known to enhance milk production, it’s cheap and easy to make. Taken by mother and child. I love pap prepared from millet, it’s common in the north while the pap prepared from maize is common in the southern part of Nigeria. Whichever grain you use it gives the same result- increase in milk production.

5. Water: During breastfeeding fluid goes out of you and so needs to be replaced, hydrating is very important in breastfeeding. Taking water always didn’t have an obvious effect on my milk production as I observed but I try to stay hydrated as much as possible.

6. Breastfeeding: Yeah! Breastfeeding frequently helps your supply, because it acts more like a demand-supply thing. If you feed your baby as often as he requests there will be more supply.

So these are the superfoods that aid me in nursing my little one. It may not work for you but don’t be discouraged also try and observe your body while trying out other foods.

What food helped enhance your lactation? Share

See More: http://www.womanlycare.com/6-surprising-foods-that-increase-breast-milk-production-personal-experience/
Re: 6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience by mrsfavour(f): 8:57am On Mar 31, 2017
yes,yes ,yes. all my kids were exclusively breast fed and all the foods u mentioned helped a lot.

1 Like

Re: 6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience by LAFO: 9:02am On Mar 31, 2017
I never breastfeed small baby sha.

Na adult baby I dey take care of

Nice tips though

1 Like

Re: 6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience by alexng: 9:04am On Mar 31, 2017
good to know
Re: 6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience by Abiagirl777(f): 7:20pm On Mar 31, 2017
bitterleaf soup and yam pepper soup with uda,I hyper lactated.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience by megareal: 7:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
Warm palmwine. Works like magic.

(1) (Reply)

I Feel Like I'm Being Bullied In My Family / How Do You Deal With A Close-minded Spouse? / 3-Year-Old Boy Missing In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.