Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,810 members, 7,827,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? (1036 Views)

7 Year Old Girl Brings Warnings From Jesus To Top Nigeria Pastors & Their Wives / Top Ten Nigeria Pastors Who Did Not Talk To Each Other / Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by MOG2009: 3:53am On Dec 25, 2009
Fellow Narialanders,

Do you think Nigeria pastors should  possess a  bachelor degree in theology before he or she could established or become a pastor of a branch?

It baffles me somethings the way some men of God  interpreters the Bible. I believe strongly that this will  help them in all areas of the ministry.

Comments and opinions are welcome.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by Omolulu(m): 5:06am On Dec 25, 2009
i think they do, i observed that those who have the degrees tend to analyse the bible in a systematic and theoretical manner rather than just teach whatever comes to the head,
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by AKO1(m): 8:02am On Dec 25, 2009
I don't think so. Even in the widespread 'misinterpretation', red tapism may slow down the spread of the gospel. Let Christ just be preached, those who chose to read their bible for themselves will be fine, and those who rely on MOG will have themselves to blame.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by macIB(m): 8:17am On Dec 25, 2009
with or without a degree,

a pastor that want to be greed and / or biblically illiterate will still be.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by Knight1(m): 8:40am On Dec 25, 2009
Seconded!!!

Though i personally prefer that pastors be degree holders (in any discipline at all)
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by PastorAIO: 2:34pm On Dec 25, 2009
I personally think that pastors should be fishermen. Without a degree in agriculture and fisheries I'm not interested.

Okay, I can allow carpenters. They must have at least hsc carpentry.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by KunleOshob(m): 2:49pm On Dec 25, 2009
I think what is really necesssary for a pastor to have is the mind and nature of christ which is not that complicated. Theology is about understanding all the complications in the religion man developed and even complicating it further. If pastors preached christianity as preached by christ and the apostles you would discover that there is no need for all these complications. Also remember that most of the apostles were illiterates talkless of being theologians.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by MOG2009: 4:08pm On Dec 25, 2009
A 2-3 years bachelor degree in theology with not hurt. I believe some pastors already have a degree holders in different profession. This theology degree will shape their understanding like Omolulu pointed out, "
Omolulu:

i think they do, i observed that those who have the degrees tend to analyse the bible in a systematic and theoretical manner rather than just teach whatever comes to the head,

I believe there should be an educational yardstick,
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by MOG2009: 4:13pm On Dec 25, 2009
MOG2009:

A 2-3 years bachelor degree in theology with not hurt. I believe some pastors already are degree holders in different profession. This theology degree will shape their understanding like Omolulu pointed out, ".

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by KunleOshob(m): 4:17pm On Dec 25, 2009
MOG2009:

A 2-3 years bachelor degree in theology with not hurt. I believe some pastors already have a degree holders in different profession. This theology degree will shape their understanding like Omolulu pointed out, ".

Whilst it is advantageous to have an educational yardstick, i believe it is the heart of the pastor that really matters. A lot of them are notorious for deliberately twisting scriptures whether they are educated or not, its so bad that there are some well established churh doctrines arrived at as a result of deliberately manipulated scriptures and in some cases ignorantly interpreted scriptures.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by MOG2009: 4:31pm On Dec 25, 2009
@KunelOshob, I totally agree.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by jagunlabi(m): 4:54pm On Dec 25, 2009
The poor congregations are the ones that need a degree in theology so as to avoid getting shafted by their pastors everytime through dodgy interpretations of the scriptures.
Atleast if they are bent on believing something, they might as well get themselves well versed in the "anatomy" of what they have chosen to believe in.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by mazaje(m): 6:39pm On Dec 25, 2009
Theology actually leads people away from their faiths. . . .When you study theology then you begin to know that some of the writers of the gospels were not the disciples of Jesus. . . .You begin to know that men formed all of the concept you tend to regard as divine. . . .You realize that concepts like original sin were formed by people like Saint Augustine of Hippo etc. . . .Theology is discouraged not encouraged amongst believers in so many places. . . . .
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by jagunlabi(m): 7:04pm On Dec 25, 2009
Exactly.It does not hurt to have discernment. . . unles an average believer wishes to remain a mice following the piped piper all his/her existence.It is a matter of choice.It is always a matter of choice.
mazaje:

Theology actually leads people away from their faiths. . . .When you study theology then you begin to know that some of the writers of the gospels were not the disciples of Jesus.  . .You begin to know that men formed all of the concept you tend to regard as divine. . . .You realize that concepts like original sin were formed by people like Saint Augustine of Hippo etc. . . .Theology is discouraged not encouraged amongst believers in so many places. . . . .
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by mazaje(m): 7:13pm On Dec 25, 2009
jagunlabi:

Exactly.It does not hurt to have discernment. . . unles an average believer wishes to remain a mice following the piped piper all his/her existence.It is a matter of choice.It is always a matter of choice.

True. . . . .
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by MrCrackles(m): 7:14pm On Dec 25, 2009
No. . . .All they need is a plot of land and a few gullible people to follow them
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by mazaje(m): 7:25pm On Dec 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

No. . . .All they need is a plot of land and a few gullible people to follow them

And the Imams and followers of mohammed need what?. . . . .A plot of land and people to teach violence, death and destruction no? Did I hear somebody mention Madrassa?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by MrCrackles(m): 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2009
mazaje:

And the Imams and followers of mohammed need what?. . . . .A plot of land and people to teach violence, death and destruction no? Did I hear somebody mention Madrassa?
The topic in question is different. . . Open a new thread and i will address the query you raised wink
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by MOG2009: 2:40am On Dec 27, 2009
@ Jagunlabi, good point. But, I feel the leader should be the one with the knowledge and not the followers.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by Nobody: 3:28am On Dec 27, 2009
MOG2009:

@ Jagunlabi, good point. But, I feel the leader should be the one with the knowledge and not the followers.

Nigeria is starting to make sense to me now lmfao grin
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Pastors Need Theology Degree To Open A Church? by jagunlabi(m): 5:23pm On Dec 27, 2009
No.While i agree that the leader should have the knowledge(Afterall, that is what makes him/her a leader), the knowledge should be imparted to the followers so that they can be enabled to evolve to attain a certain spiritual and intellectual autonomy, instead of just being a bunch of followers following in the darkness of ignorance.Was that not what Jesus was doing in those days, imparting knowledge instead of hoarding it?Was that not why he was called, "teacher", by his disciples?
MOG2009:

(1) (Reply)

God Barons: Nigeria's Pastors 'as Rich As Oil Barons'-bbc / The Truth About The Matter - Tb Joshua / Jesus And/or Paul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.