Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call (39239 Views)

Policemen Beat Soldier For Refusing To Wear Face-Mask In Benin / Solomon Peters Stabs Patience Zakari To Death In Bauchi Over Phone Call (Graphic / Man Kills And Buries His Lover Over N.5M In Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by ijustdey: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2017
A Nigerian soldier, Sunday Umaru, has been dragged before a Barkin-Ladi High Court in Plateau, for allegedly killing his lover, Charity Thomas, over a phone call.

Mr. Umaru, a married man, was a private in the Nigerian Army and on posting at the Special Task Force (STF), sector 7, Barkin-Ladi, at the time of the incident, on January 23, 2016.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the hearing, scheduled for March 30, could not hold due to the absence of Justice Samson Gang.

Mr. Umaru was first arraigned on July 14, 2016 on a one-count charge of culpable homicide.

He was accused of killing his lover Ms. Thomas by stabbing her with a knife in the stomach and slaughtering her thereafter. Mr. Umaru attacked the woman who had arrived from Kaduna to visit him.

According to the prosecutor, W.T Awe, of the Plateau State Ministry of Justice, the accused person committed the crime on January 23, 2016 in Barkin-Ladi.

Mr. Awe, during the arraignment, told the court that the Nigeria Army had court-martialed the accused, dismissed him after they found him guilty, and handed him over to the police for prosecution.

He said the accused person had told the police, in a confessional statement, that the deceased visited him sometime in January 2016, after which they had a misunderstanding which led to her death.

“In the statement, the accused alleged that the deceased used a kitchen knife to stab herself after which he (accused), removed the knife and `helped’ her to complete the act by slaughtering her,” Mr. Awe stated.

Mr. Awe further quoted the accused as saying that he was in the sitting room while Ms. Thomas was in the kitchen at about 7 p.m. when the woman’s phone rang and he picked the call.

The accused, in the statement, said that a man’s voice insisted on speaking with Ms. Thomas, but that he (accused) demanded to know who he (caller) was.

He claimed that instead of answering his inquiries, the voice rained insults on him.

Mr. Umaru, according to the statement, dropped the call, went to the kitchen and asked Ms. Thomas who the caller was, but the woman refused to provide answers to his questions, instead reminding Mr. Umaru that he was a married man.

The accused further claimed that Ms. Thomas, in a fit of anger, called off the relationship and declared that she was no more interested, especially since her parents had consistently warned her against the affair.

“Umaru said that he got angry and slapped her, which angered Charity, who quickly picked a knife and stabbed herself in the stomach,” Mr. Awe told the court.

The statement further indicated that Charity failed down thereafter, with the accused removing the knife from her stomach and slaughtering her “to complete the job she started”.

Mr. Umaru thereafter took her body outside, left it there and reported for duty at 8 p.m.
The prosecutor said the accused, from his duty point, went to see his family at the Maxwell Kobe Cantonment, Rukuba Barracks, after telling his boss that his wife wanted to see him over “a very pressing issue”.

“Charity’s lifeless body was found the next day by neighbours, while military men, who came to evacuate the body, trailed the blood marks to the accused person’s house.

“Friends of the accused also recognised the girl as Umaru’s lover, who was seen with him the previous day,” Mr. Awe told the court.

He said a team of military men, mobilised to go after the accused, arrested him at his home in the barracks, while in the company of his family.

According to Mr. Awe, the accused was court-martialed by the military and dismissed, after which he was handed over to the police for prosecution.

He said during investigation, police discovered several gory pictures and videos of the deceased that the accused took in his phone, immediately after the murder.
The accused has, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

NAN reports that at his first appearance in July 2016, Mr. Umaru’s counsel, David Adudu, prayed the court to grant his client bail, citing section 36(5) of the 1999 constitution which says that an accused is presumed innocent until otherwise proven.

Mr. Adudu had added that if the bail was granted, his client would neither jump bail nor interfere with police investigation.

Justice Samson Gang admitted the accused to bail in the sum of N200, 000 and two sureties in like sum.

Mr. Gang, who ordered that the sureties must reside within the jurisdiction of the court, said they must submit two copies of their recent passport photographs, copies of their national ID cards, GCE certificates and copies of their Rights of Occupancy.

He thereafter adjourned the matter to March 30, for hearing.

NAN reports that with the judge not available to hear the case, the matter was adjourned to May 25. (NAN)

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/227590-nigerian-army-sacks-soldier-killing-lover-phone-call.html

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by hedonistic: 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
Who is the bastard of a judge that granted bail to such a cold-blooded murderer and sociopath? N200, 000 bail and two sureties on like sum?

Yet these fools are still detaining a harmless Kemi Olunloyo in prison and parading her around in handcuffs and in dirty prison clothes. Is this justice?

Nigeria saddens me more and more each day.

101 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by buygala(m): 3:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
hedonistic:
Who is the bastard of a judge that granted bail to such a cold-blooded murderer and sociopath? N200, 000 bail and two sureties on like sum?

Yet these fools are still detaining a harmless Kemi Olunloyo in prison and parading her around on handcuffs and I'm dirty prison clothes. Is this justice?

If he is being charged with culpable homicide NOT punishable with death, he is fully entitled to bail

Culpable homicide NOT punishable with death covers crimes of passion, where it may be proven that gross provocation made the accused person temporarily unable to think sanely, leading to the commission of the offence.

Considering the Police's notoriety for squeezing out confessions by way of torture, we shouldn't take to heart the accused's alleged confessional statement...unless and until the accused person admits he made that statement voluntarily or the prosecution proves that confession was voluntary, that "confession" is worthless sad

In this case, the charge of "Culpable homicide" isn't specific enough to let us properly judge whether or not the judge had the authority to grant the accused bail...

I have appeared as counsel before Justice Gang at that particular court, and in my humble opinion, he is a gentleman who knows his onions, and most times even errs on the side of caution smiley

Summary.....passing judgement on circumstances scantily and insufficiently reported in news media is a very grave misdirection...let's all pray that we don't become victims of sentimental reporting/ half-baked journalism . smiley

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by brostheo(m): 3:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by DollarAngel(m): 3:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
OUR JUDICIARY SYSTEM IS A JOKE, OUR JUDGES SHOULD BE INVITED TO A.Y SHOWS, NIGERIA I GIVE UP ON YOU ONCE AGAIN, HAS IT DEGENERATED TO THIS?.

In the statement, the accused alleged that the deceased used a kitchen knife to stab herself after which he (accused), removed the knife and `helped’ her to complete the act by slaughtering her,” Mr. Awe stated.

12 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Ngasky(m): 3:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
Nigeria needs to return capital punishment asap.
All these murders and grave crimanal offenses are getting out of hand. And to all human criminals activist why can't they defend the right of the deceased victims or are they not human begins LovePeddler lives were cut short by the Criminal whose life they are trying to protect.
Public execution is the only way out. Kill and be killed
Second advantage of public execution is our medical students would never have shortage of practical cadavers.

5 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by ikombe: 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
In the statement, the accused alleged that the deceased used a kitchen knife to stab herself after which he (accused), removed the knife and `helped’ her to complete the act by slaughtering her,” Mr. Awe stated.

Chai gringringringringringringringringringringrin

11 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Bizzyliss(m): 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Lilimax(f): 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
Rascality everywhere!
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 31, 2017
No one is worth going to jail for / dying for...

"she stabbed herself and he helped her by slaughtering her"....how believable! grin

Funny thing is....he might be actively cheating on the woman himself.

LOL. ...modified. He's even married.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
That bail is damn fishy

2 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Lilaex: 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
why? no seriously watin Nigerian soldiers day take which kind of illiterates them thay recruit for God sake

1 Like

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by PublicAssurance: 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
FOOL!...Death by Hanging!

3 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Eastwest: 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
welcome to the zoo republic.
hedonistic:

Yet these fools are still detaining a harmless Kemi Olunloyo in prison and parading her around on handcuffs and I'm dirty prison clothes. Is this justice?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by mechanics(m): 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
He has to also die, wicked soldier, infact to me having intimate relationships with military men is very risky, one has to be careful.

8 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Tenim47(m): 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
just make him lead the troop into sambisa, instead of sack

1 Like

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by princy80(m): 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
hedonistic:

She was also granted bail.

1 Like

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by oheni(f): 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
Which way 9ja undecidedWhich way 9ja
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
Is this the new trend ?
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by seguno2: 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
hedonistic:

I wonder oh.
How can we have different treatment for people in the same country?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by SNOWCREAM(m): 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2017

So just a sack abi? Ok.
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by cubby4: 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2017
only?
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by brostheo(m): 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2017
You slapped her,she then rushed a knife and stabbed herself. Naso suicide they sweet person?

8 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 31, 2017
pure psychopath .
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by KAYD007(m): 3:43pm On Mar 31, 2017
hedonistic:

I am speechless shocked

This is crazy! angry

1 Like

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by jiinxed: 3:43pm On Mar 31, 2017
Stupid country.
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by xreal: 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
In as much as I wouldn't like to blame the Army's decision on that.

It's painful, especially the fact that this trained weapon handler will like to survive.
Soldiers are highly disciplined sha.... if to say na police...highway arned robbers don get another shooter be dat.
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by AngelicBeing: 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
DollarAngel:
OUR JUDICIARY SYSTEM IS A JOKE, OUR JUDGES SHOULD BE INVITED TO A.Y SHOWS, NIGERIA I GIVE UP ON YOU ONCE AGAIN, HAS IT DEGENERATED TO THIS?.

l taya, granting bail to a murderer sad angry
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by 2kass(m): 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
Most of these stuffs occurs because our security outfit thinks that the fact that you ain't roaming on the street means that you are mentally well.

We have a lot of mentally sick security personnels out there, yet some civilians will be arguing with someone carrying a loaded gun.

As I am, even if u ask me to kneel down and raise my hands, without more questions, I will join by closing my eyes.

Awon were

3 Likes

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by awareness01(m): 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
wonderful, over the phone.Thats new.
Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by ybalogs(m): 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
Found guilty of murder and still granted bail? The judge should be arraigned too. Nigeria Judiciary is turning into a big joke.

1 Like

Re: Army Sacks Soldier For Killing His Lover Over Phone Call by Dhaffs(m): 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
Jeez

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boy Dies After Falling Into Gutter Carelessly Made By Julius Berger In Akwa Ibom / Pastor Escapes From Kidnappers As They Sleep In Edo (Photo) / Kenyan Man Drugs His Wife, Rapes His Niece (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.