Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,439 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! (7312 Views)

5 Ways The COVID-19 Pandemic Will Affect Your Job Search / 5 Common Job Search Mistakes You Need To Avoid / Who Will Fill Up These Job Vacancies?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by assisttohire: 4:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
AVOID THESE JOB SEARCH MISTAKES!!!

There are thousands of unemployed graduates in Nigeria, the job market is very competitive. Even a typographical error is enough to eliminate you from competition for a job. Avoid these common job-search mistakes to get on the path to career success.

Too much information on your resume: There are some things that simply don’t belong on your resume. Including them can get your resume knocked out of consideration for a job before it gets a thorough review. Employers are looking for reasons to screen out applicants when reviewing a batch of resumes in order to produce a manageable group of candidates to interview. Avoid crowding your resume with unnecessary information as this might make it difficult for the employer to find qualifying elements in your resume.

Applying for jobs beyond your experience: it is one thing to be confident, it is another thing to just be plain unwise. Applying for a job that requires more than two years experience is extremely unwise. Your resume will probably end up in the wastebasket.

Watch what you say at job interviews: When you finally get invited for a job interview, please mind the things you say. It is also very important that you do not speak ill or complain about your former employer. Companies want to hire positive people, not whiners. Also, avoid tasteless jokes, profanity, and unsolicited information.

Dressing Inappropriately for a job interview: It is important to make a good first impression during an interview. A big part of making a good first impression is how you dress. Be mindful when choosing outfits for an interview. Make sure the overall design of your outfit is especially conservative.

Leaving your last job on a bad note: some companies contact your last employers for references before making a hiring decision. If you left your last place of employment on a bad note, this might affect your chances of getting hired in the future.

Review your online presence: Hiring managers research job seekers on social media and the only thing worse than finding inappropriate pictures of you on social media is not finding you at all. It's true that not everyone likes the invasive nature of social media, but have a LinkedIn account at least. Make a few connections and have past employers and big names in your industry recommend you.

Not researching the company: When you finally get an interview don’t forget to find out everything you can about the company beforehand. Show that you have taken an interest in the company and know about their mission and values. This will help prove that you are taking the opportunity seriously. A great place to start is the company website.

Badly written cover letter: Never be lazy about attaching a well-written cover letter to your resume, you always need a one. Also, proofread before sending. If you are applying to a large number of jobs, you may use a sample cover letter where you replace the company name and job title each time you want to apply, but make sure you don’t miss an incorrect piece of information. Pay attention to the most minute detail.

Assist to Hire is an employment social networking connecting suitable employees with the right employers.
If you are a candidate looking for work or an employer looking to hire?

6 Likes

Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by tetula123(m): 7:34am On Apr 02, 2017
I get am.. I get am.. lol.. FTC at last

And I dedicate it to the mods that specialize in banning me.
I am a Nairaland hardened ex-convict

Banning me didn't correct me it only hardened me.
Well;
to all those struggling to make FTC.. if I can u can too,lol

Happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by holatimmy(f): 7:34am On Apr 02, 2017
Hmmm...noted
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by mayoor15(m): 7:34am On Apr 02, 2017
Awesome
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by faithfancy: 7:35am On Apr 02, 2017
Cool info
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by rosalieene(f): 7:35am On Apr 02, 2017
ok
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by Tazdroid(m): 7:38am On Apr 02, 2017
Good tips

But regarding the "required experience" aspect, I think one could still apply for a job that requires more years of experience than your CV can vouch for. It's called "giving it a shot".

There's no guarantee that'd you be called so why let the chance slip by. A selection mishap may be in your favour and you could be called up and probably impress at the interview and most likely get the job.

3 Likes

Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by sakalisis(m): 7:50am On Apr 02, 2017
Nice
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by ganie(m): 7:53am On Apr 02, 2017
Enlightening... I think I need to register on the site,I can't wait till after service next month.
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by generaluthman: 8:01am On Apr 02, 2017
Nice 1
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by lordraiden(m): 8:10am On Apr 02, 2017
thanks
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by onyii255(m): 8:14am On Apr 02, 2017
ganie:
Enlightening... I think I need to register on the site,I can't wait till after service next month.

My own POP is friday ;DD.. Lets hit the favour market...
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by Joephat(m): 8:16am On Apr 02, 2017
I will be done with my service to the nation by Friday.

If I don't get job as soon as possible, I might be pushed to the wall
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by msb247(m): 8:24am On Apr 02, 2017
@assisttohire too much information like what? Give examples please.
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by lonelydora: 8:26am On Apr 02, 2017
Tazdroid:
Good tips

But regarding the "required experience" aspect, I think one could still apply for a job that requires more years of experience than your CV can vouch for. It's called "giving it a shot".

There's no guarantee that'd you be called so why let the chance slip by. A selection mishap may be in your favour and you could be called up and probably impress at the interview and most likely get the job.

A friend's fiancee applied for job of 6 years experience in Shell when she has 2 years. Luckily, she was called for the interview. After the interview she told the white man that she has 2 years experience and he said there's no problem, that she performed well, after all they will still send her on training. As I speak to you, she is in Shell.

6 Likes

Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by msb247(m): 8:41am On Apr 02, 2017
Many job vacancies have between 1 to 3 years experience added to the actual number required. So I think it's safe to apply for a 5 year experience job when you have 3 and you know the job. Sometimes someone with only 2 years experience can perform better than someone with 4 or 5 years experience - it all depends on the individual.
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by Tazdroid(m): 8:47am On Apr 02, 2017
lonelydora:

A friend's fiancee applied for job of 6 years experience in Shell when she has 2 years. Luckily, she was called for the interview. After the interview she told the white man that she has 2 years experience and he said there's no problem, that she performed well, after all they will still send her on training. As I speak to you, she is in Shell.
Glad to hear that

2 Likes

Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by CellTabRepairs: 11:56am On Apr 02, 2017
And if employers bench you for too long...don't keep waiting and wasting. Find something worthwhile.

Click My Name & View That Resource You Need To Earn Huge Cash Returns Very Quickly!
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by Jhamzy(m): 6:10pm On Apr 02, 2017
lonelydora:

Don't mind people talking anything they like brother. The truth is that grace and favour speak for people. Me I don't waist time in applying for any position I like and envy ooh cos I have nothing to loose applying. But one can loose an opportunity not applying.

1 Like

Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by Jhamzy(m): 6:13pm On Apr 02, 2017
Concerning the Interview question on why the applicant left the last job. What if the applicant left on a case of downsizing? Is that bad to be said at the interview?
Re: Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! by ganie(m): 9:21am On Apr 03, 2017
onyii255:

My own POP is friday ;DD.. Lets hit the favour market...
congrats bro,I fell into ocean 2

(1) (Reply)

FREE Cover Letter Template For Job Seekers / CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members / Site Safety Advisor/safety Officer/safety Supervisor/she

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.