Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,390 members, 7,819,396 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? (16625 Views)

What Certification Is Good For History And International Studies Graduate. / What Certification Course Can A Microbiologist Do? / What Certification's Are Important For A Business Administration Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 01, 2017
Xmen149:

3)Combine your school knowledge,research and skills from the technician to be better at the work (like electricial will use fire to bend PVC pipe,you use bending machine,block or spring.why a certain transistor is used in a particular circuit and what else it can do for you including calculations).

when you find people reducing engineering to mundane things like bending pvc pipes then you know there is a problem. if your idea of engineering is so simplistic, then you should not be disturbed at Lebanese plumbers being called in to oversee nigerian engineers.

thinking like this betrays a much bigger problem - it is mainly the children of the rich who have been exposed and maybe studied abroad who will get the plum jobs of the future[it is already happening] not because of connection per se, but because they have not grown in environments that celebrate mediocre thinking.

if the best a graduate can bring to the table is experience in bending pvc pipe, i will simply engage him as labour [i have also seen this happen; even worse, when some misguided guys gave the guy a chance as an entry level engineer, the guy could not cope; the simplest things eg writing coherent daily reports were beyond him.]

seuns leveling of naitaland is a disturbing glimpse into the future of this country.

4 Likes

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by ocelot2006(m): 9:57am On Apr 01, 2017
I think it all boils down to the area you intend to specialize in I.e. Power, Instrumentation & Control, or Telecommunications. But as a fresher I think that may be a bit too early for you. I'll recommend you try as much as possible to gain practical experience as it will help you appreciate the theory concepts even more. Sign up as an intern with a coy, a small startup, or even meet road side electrician to learn the basics. Once you've identified an area of interest, build on that. That's when certifications will probably come in. Using telecoms as an example, both voice & data networks are now converged. Even your GSM network has fully evolved from 2G based on switches to set up calls to 4G (LTE or WiMAX) that's almost purely IP based. So CISCO certifications come to mind. With a CWNA certification, you'll equally get to appreciate the basics on wireless transmission, mobility, and the 802.11 standards on which WiFi is built on.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by ocelot2006(m): 10:01am On Apr 01, 2017
peacebirdone:
Get your coren and NSE certificates bro.

Forget about COREN or NSE for now.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Xmen149(m): 10:06am On Apr 01, 2017
oyb:

when you find people reducing engineering to mundane things like bending pvc pipes then you know there is a problem. if your idea of engineering is so simplistic, then you should not be disturbed at Lebanese plumbers being called in to oversee nigerian engineers.

Ego is the problem,and it will leave the Nigerian Engineering graduates sitting at home. you cant see your self self managing or designing stuffs you know nothhing about...They call those lebanese plumber to over see the Engineer because he knows those equipment and have worked on them alot and will base his decission not on text book facts but real applicable ones.If you dnt know how things work and done it your self how can you design and if the design fails(which it certainly will) you take responsibility.companies dnt grow on loss but gain

1 Like

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 01, 2017
Xmen149:

Ego is the problem,and it will leave the Nigerian Engineering graduates sitting at home. you cant see your self self managing or designing stuffs you know nothhing about...They call those lebanese plumber to over see the Engineer because he knows those equipment and have worked on them alot and will base his decission not on text book facts but real applicable ones.If you dnt know how things work and done it your self how can you design and if the design fails(which it certainly will) you take responsibility.companies dnt grow on loss but gain

you learn about how systems work by going over the design documentation, as built documents and maintenace manuals

it is only the simplest of things that you can fix by opening them up. will you fix an issue at a power transmission station by tinkering with it? if a 330kv line has a fault, are you going to replace the line to fix it?

it is the way of the mentally lazy person to quickly start tinkering without understanding. there was this time when i was on troubleshooting tour. i got to a site and the inverter was down. the people on ground had called some artisan to fix it.the invert ha been opened up and the artisan had been on it for over a day. no solution in sight.

i did a perfunctory check and all that was wrong was that a DC circuit breaker had tripped. there was nothing with the inverter.

you guys are showing pedestrian thinking. you have no idea how wide engineering is. you have reduced it to working on bungalows and repairing house hold consumer appliances.

it is a real shame.

4 Likes

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 01, 2017
excess4luv:
@Op
First identify your area of choice.
Power
Electronics
Telecommunications
instrumentation
etc.
from there you will be able to narrow down your choice and specialize. Elect/Elect Engr is a very broad course.

my 1 cent
best reply yet

1 Like

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 01, 2017
Electronzeez:
What are you majoring at in electrical /electronics engineering ? . I might be able to guide you .

I personally opted for electronics and telecommunication because I don't really like power though I have first hand knowledge about it.

Don't let anyone fool you about not getting your hands dirty . This is nigeria ,if you don't want to get your hands dirty as an EEE then you have to diversify in to computer . It is the truth you might not want to admit .

Who says because you have a B.sc you will be designing in nigeria ? Okay ...be the first let us see .

If you are planning traveling out of the country especially middle east . Learn HVAC .

Don't make the same mistake as me. Register with COREN . Someone recommended me but the COREN and NSE MEMBERSHIP thing dint make it go well .
hello, currently in 2nd year and also planning on going into electronics.. Would be nice to learn from you smiley
How can i contact you?
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Jokerman(m): 10:31am On Apr 01, 2017
I am actually ashamed to call myself an Engineer... Even at MSc level, no design knowledge save for maintenance...

Once I m through with this yeye MSc I'm venturing into Automation...
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Xmen149(m): 10:39am On Apr 01, 2017
oyb:

we recently resolved an issue involving one of the ENGINEERS(lol).

dude brought up the IDEA of installing an AVR after an establishment complained of disturbances in the power supply(the place is like an estate so they also use central Generator when power is interupted).

During his so called design he negleted details that spoiled two of the three installed AVR.

1)the AVR supplies Air conditioners and the power consumption is almost x3 when starting.
2)Their is posibility that The whole A.c will be start up almost at the same time in the morning
3)The cable rating from the AVR shoul be able to combart this(infact the cable size he mentioned in the design is not even a size used in Electrical work)
4)he should have gone with the technicians and take measurements on the necesary parameters for couple of days at different time of the day before making his so called design(dude dnt even know what to look out for and cnt handle meter)
5)Earthing on the building is very weak,he never knew and instructed they use the same to install the equpments.

dude worse quick to push the blame to the technicians whom even tried suggesting these at first but where forced to work to the design by THE ENGINEER

Now tell me why the boss wount hire an electrician from even lebanon whom have spent 10years working on these equipments to be the Engineers boss(which has happend already)if he can deliver effectively.

Bro,forget the ego attached with that name here in Nigeria...you can never dsign what you dnt know or prepare solutions for what you v not worked in real life.His report writing skills will be useless to me too.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Electronzeez(m): 10:47am On Apr 01, 2017
Jobia:
hello, currently in 2nd year and also planning on going into electronics.. Would be nice to learn from you smiley
How can i contact you?

Considering electronics as an option is cool but comes with extra work .

I respond to mail immediately it drops than I will do to a message . Reach me via my mail in my profile .

Regards .
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Xmen149(m): 10:50am On Apr 01, 2017
oyb:

you learn about how systems work by going over the design documentation, as built documents and maintenace manuals

it is only the simplest of things that you can fix by opening them up. will you fix an issue at a power transmission station by tinkering with it? if a 330kv line has a fault, are you going to replace the line to fix it?

it is the way of the mentally lazy person to quickly start tinkering without understanding. there was this time when i was on troubleshooting tour. i got to a site and the inverter was down. the people on ground had called some artisan to fix it.the invert ha been opened up and the artisan had been on it for over a day. no solution in sight.

i did a perfunctory check and all that was wrong was that a DC circuit breaker had tripped. there was nothing with the inverter.

you guys are showing pedestrian thinking. you have no idea how wide engineering is. you have reduced it to working on bungalows and repairing house hold consumer appliances.

it is a real shame.

Lol,.thats where an Engineer comes in,.if you havent had real life works with that system believe me your knowledge in Engineering (troubleshooting from the start of the circuit)wount kick in.

Another thermal guy never had his installation cooling to expectation after all checks.

but what he never knew and was never in the manual is that for every bend on the pipe on the lenght of run adds and additional leght to the total length of run of the pipe to be used.he ends up using more than the total lenght stipulated for the unit thereby reducing cooling.

what am saying is,if you havent been there forget the manual there are extreamly little details that if you havent encounterd them on the site you will always get that you design and all wrong.

2 Likes

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by EmmGee: 10:53am On Apr 01, 2017
@ mayprice
As suggested TheLordIsGr8 suggested.. look for an electrician and be "following" him to work.
Also get a laptop you'll be surprised what you can learn from youtube.
Get simulation softwares like multism or proteus... these don't require hardware component like quartus..

Good luck. Also an electrical student (power systems)

2 Likes

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 01, 2017
Xmen149:
oyb:

we recently resolved an issue involving one of the ENGINEERS(lol).

dude brought up the IDEA of installing an AVR after an establishment complained of disturbances in the power supply(the place is like an estate so they also use central Generator when power is interupted).

During his so called design he negleted details that spoiled two of the three installed AVR.

1)the AVR supplies Air conditioners and the power consumption is almost x3 when starting.
2)Their is posibility that The whole A.c will be start up almost at the same time in the morning
3)The cable rating from the AVR shoul be able to combart this(infact the cable size he mentioned in the design is not even a size used in Electrical work)
4)he should have gone with the technicians and take measurements on the necesary parameters for couple of days at different time of the day before making his so called design(dude dnt even know what to look out for and cnt handle meter)
5)Earthing on the building is very weak,he never knew and instructed they use the same to install the equpments.

dude worse quick to push the blame to the technicians whom even tried suggesting these at first but where forced to work to the design by THE ENGINEER

Now tell me why the boss wount hire an electrician from even lebanon whom have spent 10years working on these equipments to be the Engineers boss(which has happend already)if he can deliver effectively.

Bro,forget the ego attached with that name here in Nigeria...you can never dsign what you dnt know or prepare solutions for what you v not worked in real life.His report writing skills will be useless to me too.

The word you are looking for is starting current.
I am surprised that an engineer would recommend a stabilzer for an air conditioner. The best you can do is an as (automatic voltage switcher)

If you want to get adventurous, get soft starters for the ac. These will ramp down the starting current ( the same are used for motors in leiy of star delta starters)

Or if you're trying to save money power the acs via contactors and timers, which will ensure a staggered start up.

No biggie.

Air conditioning is the largest and most unpredictable load, which is why some opt not to include it on generator power supply.

Cables are rated for surge currents.a cable not designed for electrical work - what is that? Was your equipment being terminated with coax or network cable?

The correct word is the cable was undersized. Cables can be undersized because of poor design or fraud on the part of members of your team.

Your comments, cable nor designed for electrical work, high power consumption already betray you as either a technician or someone who had turned technicians to gods.

, Your facility must be poorly designed if your panels do not have multimeters to start with.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 10:56am On Apr 01, 2017
EmmGee:
@ mayprice
As suggested TheLordIsGr8 suggested.. look for an electrician and be "following" him to work.
Get simulation softwares like multism or proteus... these don't require hardware component like quartus..

I think you should try and pm him. Perhaps you can be a mentor. A tip once in a while would be worth it.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I have soft copy of Teraja text. Would you advice that he makes Teraja a permanent friend? Cos I know people still use that text in graduate programs.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Xmen149(m): 10:58am On Apr 01, 2017
EmmGee:
@ mayprice

On point.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 01, 2017
Xmen149:

On point.

If you find anyone who needs the text in soft copy just pm me. I'll share it on google drive cos its too large to email. Its the colored version.

www.bookboon.com is also good for textbooks.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 01, 2017
Xmen149:

Lol,.thats where an Engineer comes in,.if you havent had real life works with that system believe me your knowledge in Engineering (troubleshooting from the start of the circuit)wount kick in.

Another thermal guy never had his installation cooling to expectation after all checks.

but what he never knew and was never in the manual is that for every bend on the pipe on the lenght of run adds and additional leght to the total length of run of the pipe to be used.he ends up using more than the total lenght stipulated for the unit thereby reducing cooling.

what am saying is,if you havent been there forget the manual there are extreamly little details that if you havent encounterd them on the site you will always get that you design and all wrong.

That sounds like simple intellectual laziness. The maximum distance between indoor and outdoor unit is clearly stated in spec sheets. It is why I sometimes opt for installing outdoor units on the roof slab
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by onos217(m): 11:15am On Apr 01, 2017
95% of Nigeria engineers,do little or no design.What they do mainly is the job of a service technician. I believe you know what the job of a technician entails:maintenance,installation,repair and so on.It has to do with practical work.
My advice is hook up with any of these training centers where they do practical work. What these will do for you is that :
1-it will give you a sense of direction,and you will find it easy to choose what area you want to major into.
2-it will get you involved in more practical work, and engineering will begin to make more sense to you. It is now so many things I learnt in school are beginning to make.

3-It will boost your confidence whenever you go for any interview that has to do with engineering especially the area you specialized in. Because you now have both theory and the practical work.

4-You will earn respect and your client will have confidence in you.
Op,this is my 2cent!
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by AZeD1(m): 11:36am On Apr 01, 2017
This is the Nth certification thread to hit FP in as many days. What's up with Nigerian​s and certifications?
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by dosage150(m): 11:37am On Apr 01, 2017
figure007:
Cisco....am a computer scientist and i have friends who studied elect elect and ended up in cisco and Linux....trust me you will be a hot cake especially when you move from ccna to ccie... Networking rocks... God help you cos dollar now Na issue of writing those certifications
Bro,am computer science undergraduate
WhatsApp: 08100258247
pls i will like to talk with you
thanks
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by SwiftNation: 11:46am On Apr 01, 2017
Pray:
COREN, and join NSE
Hahahaha.....dude u must be high!
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 11:48am On Apr 01, 2017
COREN.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 01, 2017
SwiftNation:

Hahahaha.....dude u must be high!
why is he high?
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by SwiftNation: 11:53am On Apr 01, 2017
agongajoseph:
why is he high?
He is a fresher and you are telling him Coren and NSe. Do you know how many years he has to practice before qualifying for those?
Make the op just choose being an apprentice during vacations and get a sense of direction.
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by techmatas: 12:12pm On Apr 01, 2017
I think Electrical/Electronics Engineers have the widest range of career choice to follow in the field of engineering. You can fit in 'ALL' industry. you can be self employed if you really know what you are doing.
The career path for Electrical/Electronic engineer ranges from:

Power system design which includes Power Generation, Transmission, Distribution, protection, power Panels, power Automation, etc.

Electrical machine and control which includes various types of electrical powered industrial plants and their controls__Three Phase induction motor, Synchronous motors, DC Motors, Servomotors, Stepper motors, drives, motor control panels, etc

Electrical installation and Drafting which includes Industrial, Commercial and Domestic Electrical installation.

Networking and ICT which includes Cisco (CCNA, CCNP, etc,) Linus (LFCS, LFCE, etc) Microsoft(MCSA, MCCA, etc) Programming (C, C++, Java, etc) Web Design (Html, CSS, PHP, etc)

Embedded System and Electronic/Electrical System Design which includes creation of various Electronics/Electrical system solutions such as Embedded module, security system, solar and inverter system, home automation, IOTs, electrical/electronics gadgets, etc

Automation (Instrumentation and control) which includes Automation of various electromechanical system applying the principle of control. here you Learn Instrumentation, PLC/PAC/HMI/SCADA/PLC/SIS, industrial networking, Robotics, etc

The list and scope is as broad as they are endless for more tips and advocacy you may go to [url]acecatech.com[/url]

you may choose any area that interest you the most and build a career around it.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5089553_acecatech_jpeg3f310afc6006b2f8b272c15925f154aa

Happy Elect Engin wink
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by techmatas: 12:17pm On Apr 01, 2017
techmatas:
I think Electrical/Electronics Engineers have the widest range of career choice to follow in the field of engineering. You can fit in 'ALL' industry. you can be self employed if you really know what you are doing.
The career path for Electrical/Electronic engineer ranges from:

Power system design which includes Power Generation, Transmission, Distribution, protection, power Panels, power Automation, etc.

Electrical machine and control which includes various types of electrical powered industrial plants and their controls__Three Phase induction motor, Synchronous motors, DC Motors, Servomotors, Stepper motors, drives, motor control panels, etc

Electrical installation and Drafting which includes Industrial, Commercial and Domestic Electrical installation.

Networking and ICT which includes Cisco (CCNA, CCNP, etc,) Linus (LFCS, LFCE, etc) Microsoft(MCSA, MCCA, etc) Programming (C, C++, Java, etc) Web Design (Html, CSS, PHP, etc)

Embedded System and Electronic/Electrical System Design which includes creation of various Electronics/Electrical system solutions such as Embedded module, security system, solar and inverter system, home automation, IOTs, electrical/electronics gadgets, etc

Automation (Instrumentation and control) which includes Automation of various electromechanical system applying the principle of control. here you Learn Instrumentation, PLC/PAC/HMI/SCADA/PLC/SIS, industrial networking, Robotics, etc

The list and scope is as broad as they are endless for more tips and advocacy you may go to [url]acecatech.com[/url]

you may choose any area that interest you the most and build a career around it.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5089553_acecatech_jpeg3f310afc6006b2f8b272c15925f154aa

Happy Elect Engin wink

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by AnaCheks(m): 1:45pm On Apr 01, 2017
oyb:

That sounds like simple intellectual laziness. The maximum distance between indoor and outdoor unit is clearly stated in spec sheets. It is why I sometimes opt for installing outdoor units on the roof slab
I sent you a pm Sir, please I need to learn a lot from you
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by stynhaq(m): 1:46pm On Apr 01, 2017
excess4luv:
@Op
First identify your area of choice.
Power
Electronics
Telecommunications
instrumentation
etc.
from there you will be able to narrow down your choice and specialize. Elect/Elect Engr is a very broad course.

my 1 cent

Best Answer. This is more than 1cent

First thing is to identify your interest. Because when it gets tough only the passion will keep you going.

1 Like

Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by figure007(m): 1:51pm On Apr 01, 2017
dosage150:

Bro,am computer science undergraduate
WhatsApp: 08100258247
pls i will like to talk with you
thanks
okay...though in a wedding ceremony ...will chat you as soon as am done
Re: What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? by dosage150(m): 2:27pm On Apr 01, 2017
figure007:
okay...though in a wedding ceremony ...will chat you as soon as am done
Thanks so much for your understanding sir
hoping to hear from you,if you don't mind drop your number, so I chat you,
thanks once again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Certification's Are Important For A Business Administration Graduate / UPDATE: Npower Sent Out Acknowledgment Of Application / Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.