Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,842 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension (28948 Views)

Falana On Elisha Abbo: Senators Have No Right To Question Abbo Over Assault / Ruga: Atiku Vs Femi Fani-Kayode On Twitter / Buhari Has Ended Obasanjo’s May 29 Hypocrisy, Says Falana On June 12 Democracy D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by ogunjyde2004(m): 10:52am On Apr 01, 2017
gare:

What about those that where suspended before now, Jibrin was suspended for whistle blowing, I expected Falana to fight for him, instead he kept quiet, he never mentioned his case, which very recent, I believe the senate has it rule books which they follow, Nndume may not have followed due process in presenting the issues
Madam is like you dnt know anything about Nigeria politics, falana was jubrin lawyer in that case u can check it here
http://www.thelinkng.com/house-seals-defiant-hon-jubrils-office/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by rusher14: 10:52am On Apr 01, 2017
Mboi2:

Who supports illegality, Falana of course.

I'm trying hard not to yab you knowing your present career status.

You are free to continue supporting illegality but between me and you I know who would suffer the consequence regardless of how it changes.

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Eazybay(m): 10:53am On Apr 01, 2017
Geeoriginal:

What is the rule of Senate that Ndume broke? The fact is that he did not subject himself to the body, he is there as a representative of a Senatorial district in Nigeria. When you suspend a legislature, you caught off his or her constituency from having a say in the things that concern the country. This is the why it is a wrong step from the start. You cannot cut off part of the country on flimsy excuses. The Senate as a body does not understand how important they are supposed to be which is unfortunate.
Talking about what actually happened, Ndume only told the senate that two members were alleged in the media and that it is important that the Senate should investigate the allegations. Tell me, what rule of the Senate has he broken in asking for an investigation?

Pls the Senate can look after itself. Whether the excuse is flimsy or not is left for the Senate committe to determine. You could b rusticated 4 a flimsy reason! You go to court to challenge the decision BASED ON THE SCHOOL RULES.

Dont get too emotional, if Saraki violates same Rule book he'd b IMPEACHED 4rm the same book. If that had bin d case many ppl on this thread would not b screaming blue murder. Ndume can either challenge d suspension or d power of the Senate!

Dont pitch d Standing Rules against the constitution. Thats false logic.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by pedrilo: 10:56am On Apr 01, 2017
swtdrms:

If I may ask u a simple question, is ur assertion based on ur reasoning or provisions from the constitution?

This is a question of constitutionality and not individual thinking.

No matter how intelligent we seem to be, the day we place our thinking over the constitution is the very day we legitimise self help and anarchy.
so even wen the so called constitution is faulty, we shud not tink abi? That is the surest way to anarchy my friend. Now, watch mike's video clip again, I'm sure u will hear him quote some sections of the constitution. Albeit, my position is that NASS be allowed to perform oversight functions. Just to add, Do not limit ur ability to think. Constitutional amendment is a product of critical and rational thinking. Men like us made those laws not God!

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by akinszz: 10:56am On Apr 01, 2017
gare:

What about those that where suspended before now, Jibrin was suspended for whistle blowing, I expected Falana to fight for him, instead he kept quiet, he never mentioned his case, which very recent, I believe the senate has it rule books which they follow, Nndume may not have followed due process in presenting the issues
falana is not a votron(defender of the universe), if you need his service you will contact him.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Geeoriginal: 10:57am On Apr 01, 2017
mario383:
Am wonder why Yoloba people like to always support government even when the government is clearly wrong. The same thing Rotomi Williams was doing to the extent that majority of Nigerians were complaining that when Rotomi dies, the Nigerians masses will not attend his burial.
"Yoloba people" has stood against bad governance and government in this country more than any other group. I don't know if you were born during the military, if yes, you will understand that what you said above is completely wrong. The Femi Falana you are referencing here has been to jail many times because of his stand concerning government. Where is Fela, Gani Fawehinmi, Tai Solarin etc. from? They are the people that have look guns in the face and still continue to maintain their stand. Which other tribe has produced this type of men in their great numbers?

4 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by higherpower: 11:02am On Apr 01, 2017
Leboska:
Falana's argument sounds more like a beer parlour's argument

Hiding under invisible nairaland to showcase your foolishness.

3 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by eduevolutionnow(m): 11:03am On Apr 01, 2017
Mboi2:

Hon Jibrin was suspended, what did your beer parlour SAN in the person of Falana did?
It seems like we have educated illiterates littered around nairaland.
http://www.247nigerianewsupdate.co/2016/09/suspension-of-abdulmumin-jibrin-is.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by camelus: 11:07am On Apr 01, 2017

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by higherpower: 11:08am On Apr 01, 2017
freeze001:
Does Falana mean that the NASS does not or cannot have an internal disciplinary mechanism applicable to its members? Is that not what the independence of the NASS is about? Is he also going to say the NJC has no power to investigate petitions made on judges and make its pronouncements before further action is taken because they are also subject to the provisions of the Constitution?

The NASS must be and is in fact able to activate an internal investigation and disciplinary mechanism for its members particularly on the conduct of any member as in the case of Ali Ndume.

What internal discipline can interfere with an elected sit whose withdrawal can only be done by those who voted them. Imagine how your bias mind betrayed your sense of reasoning. Something that your role model Dino challenged and won in court.

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Kingspin(m): 11:08am On Apr 01, 2017
What Falana is saying from my view point is that the constitution should be clear on some matters going by what is currently happening at the National Assembly. And that require constitution amendment. Because the Senators rely heavily on both the part Nigerian constitution and National Assembly Act to do their job. Mike Ozekhome quoted by saying that the constitution give senate power to invite anyone for questions or explanation or clarification on purpose. He went further to say that the constitution never mention directly what exactly could constitue or warrant senate to sermon any person or group. But I always know that for long the National Assembly has been inviting people but whenever there is a political fight Nigerians are divided on whether or not the National Assembly has the power to invite anyone to appear before them. A whole lot more need to be done with our country.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by eduevolutionnow(m): 11:09am On Apr 01, 2017
Eazybay:

You have to insult ppl? So going by your logic, the senate rulebook is inconsequential? Remember ppl are in court for forging the same rulebook? You are sworn in to the senate and whatever u do, u must stand by d Standing Rules. The Senate has d right to discipline an erring member but leme also point out dat dis argument is strictly legal and has nothing to do with who is educated or uneducated.. There are points to support both motions
Mr logic, with your warp sense of logic, the senate rules should supersede the Nigeria constitution?

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by NaijaAccountant: 11:09am On Apr 01, 2017
The suspension of Ndume is illegal in its entirety. On what basis was Ndume suspended?. Section 20 of the legislative Privileges Act States that:

(1) Any member of a Legislative House who-

(a) being a member of a committee of the House, publishes to any person not being a member of such committee any evidence taken by the committee before it has been reported to the House; or

(b) assaults or obstructs a member of the Legislative House within the Chamber or precincts of the House; or

(c) assaults or obstructs any officer of the Legislative House while in the execution of his duty; or

(d) is convicted of any offence under this Act, shall be guilty of contempt of the Legislative House.

(2) Where any member is guilty of contempt of a Legislative House, the House, may by resolution, reprimand such member or suspend him from the service of the House for such period as it may determine:

Provided that such period shall not extend beyond the last day of the meeting next following that in which the resolution is passed, or of the session in which the resolution is passed, whichever shall first occur.

(3) No salary or allowance payable to a member of a Legislative House for his service as such shall be paid in respect of any period during which he is suspended from the service of the House under the provisions of this section.

Ndume wasn't guilty of "contempt" neither was he guilty of "fraud". What he did was just to exercise his constitutional right as a Nigerian and a distinguished senator backed by the provision of the law as engrained in several sections of the Constitution. For example:
39. (1) Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference.

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by President99: 11:10am On Apr 01, 2017
TheVictorious:

Now you have resorted to being emotional. Were they not the ones that elected him to represent their interest?? The actions of an elected officer, either good or bad will have positive or detrimental effect on his followers! And they must bear the consequences of their right to decide who represents their interest. That's the beauty of democracy!
There u go again! When courts rejected card reader to validate elections which were marred by irregularities, I guess u supported them, coz the courts say is not a law and no matter hw good the card reader is, it cant form part of judgment. Mike is a lawyer not coz is better than other people who are not lawyers in argument but by the virtue of same law he now ignores. No matter hw good an argument is, it must be base on law(constitution or act) or atleast a subsisting court pronouncement.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Eazybay(m): 11:15am On Apr 01, 2017
eduevolutionnow:

Mr logic, with your warp sense of logic, the senate rules should supersede the Nigeria constitution?

Lolzzzz.. Did the Chief Judge swear Ndume in? Leme stop here, wea are always looking for power tussle and superiority..

The rulebook guides senators and senate activities and is admissible in COURT.

Don't pitch the Rulebook against the Constitution, it's false logic
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Geeoriginal: 11:19am On Apr 01, 2017
Eazybay:

Pls the Senate can look after itself. Whether the excuse is flimsy or not is left for the Senate committe to determine. You could b rusticated 4 a flimsy reason! You go to court to challenge the decision BASED ON THE SCHOOL RULES.

Dont get too emotional, if Saraki violates same Rule book he'd b IMPEACHED 4rm the same book. If that had bin d case many ppl on this thread would not b screaming blue murder. Ndume can either challenge d suspension or d power of the Senate!

Dont pitch d Standing Rules against the constitution. Thats false logic.

In all that I said, I never mention the constitution for once, so, you are wrong in accusing me of pitching constitution against the rules. having said that, the Senate as a body established by the constitution is not allowed to make a rule that is against the constitution. Such rule or rules will be null and void abinitio. There is no emotion in what I said, I only asked you a question that you never answer in your reply. You make a lot of references to Senate rules as if you will be able to tell us which of the rule that stipulated 6 months suspension for a member that asked that an allegation against another member be investigated.
We do not need to work up ourselves on this, the whole issue is about Senate leadership politics. Ndume was removed from being senate leader, probably to please Tinubu camp, that is the root of the whole problem. It is a matter of who can deal a better blow against another. I do not have an interest in any of them. On the issue at hand, Ndume did not break any senate rule.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by toojah4u(m): 11:22am On Apr 01, 2017
national assembly doesn't act only based on constitution.. when it comes to internal matters like these they use what is called... STANDING ORDER/RULES
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by higherpower: 11:30am On Apr 01, 2017
gare:

Must Falana always fight, what does he have that you don't have?
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by LordOfNaira: 11:31am On Apr 01, 2017
lokobyforch:

Really, u are saying a school principal cannot discipline a school teacher because it was not stated in the appointment letter , we bend nominal Nigerian laws just to suit selfish interest... a police man does not have to wear uniform because he was first a citizen.

School owners may do what they like with their employees, but a principal in a government school cannot suspend a teacher equally employed by government without due process. Ndume is representing a certain people and the Senate has no right to suspend him. If there is such a power, it should be contained in the constitution. Falana has pointed out that there is no such law and the Senate cannot use discretion in this instance because it could amount to committing a crime since someone's fundamental human right is affected here.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by defash8: 11:35am On Apr 01, 2017
Falana got it wrong, Ndume actually want Committee on Ethics to investigate these two cases which they did & the outcome is not favourable to him. It will have been another thing if Ndume allow the body constitutionally responsible to do their investigation. We could all see that after the suspension Ndume went quiet which is a sign of guilt.

Senate have house rule that guide them, so Falana could not disregard that.

About summoning, the Senate have power to do so by calling for hearing & not really investigating in usual traditional way.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by higherpower: 11:35am On Apr 01, 2017
ogunjyde2004:

Madam is like you dnt know anything about Nigeria politics, falana was jubrin lawyer in that case u can check it here
http://www.thelinkng.com/house-seals-defiant-hon-jubrils-office/

Next time don't waste your time when market women rant
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by eduevolutionnow(m): 11:37am On Apr 01, 2017
Eazybay:

Lolzzzz.. Did the Chief Judge swear Ndume in? Leme stop here, wea are always looking for power tussle and superiority..

The rulebook guides senators and senate activities and is admissible in COURT.

Don't pitch the Rulebook against the Constitution, it's false logic
So with your logic, did the senators elect Ndume for him to be suspended by them?

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 01, 2017
lokobyforch:

Really, u are saying a school principal cannot discipline a school teacher because it was not stated in the appointment letter, we bend nominal Nigerian laws just to suit selfish interest... a police man does not have to wear uniform because he was first a citizen.

Sorry sir, but u got this wrong. That principal-teacher allusion no werk at all.

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by dignity33: 11:41am On Apr 01, 2017
The problems with Nigeria is Tribalism and this make me think that Kanu is right, when a yoruba is wrong no Yoruba that will accept that he is likewise hausa, Igbo and others. So the now is why are we still one Nigeria?
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by taayourty(m): 11:43am On Apr 01, 2017
lokobyforch:

Really, u are saying a school principal cannot discipline a school teacher because it was not stated in the appointment letter, we bend nominal Nigerian laws just to suit selfish interest... a police man does not have to wear uniform because he was first a citizen.

officer, a principal cannot discipline a teacher appointed by civil service, he can only report indiscipline. haha!

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by taayourty(m): 11:45am On Apr 01, 2017
sensible people should judge based on the constitution which is supreme. Mike is only saying what he thinks. If he knows is onions he should have back his claims from the constitution as a lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by golpen(m): 11:49am On Apr 01, 2017
lokobyforch:

Of course, a school principal under law cannot solely discipline a school teacher, except if the principal is the proprietor of the school, or the power to do so, has been conferred on him.

In government schools, where both the principal and the teachers are all employed by the government, the power a principal has over an erring teacher is serving the teacher a query/memo and that is expected to be a couple of times, before proceeding to report to the disciplinary arm of the ministry of education to implement law enforcement.

Same for Ndume, as a senator. Suspending him out of thoughtful fabrications of Saraki's mind, means Suspending the constituency he represents. They could have organised a committee, to file a suit against him, take him to court and make him pay some fines, apologise publicly et al.

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 01, 2017
Saintp:

Good. I respect him for maintaining his stands. Hope others making noise now made the same noise for Jubrin. I love it when people stand for principles instead of taking positions based on who is involved. I have already spotted the hypocrisy here.

sorry sir o
I do not mean to disrespect or insult you. just saw your post as the perfect trigger to fire back.
Someone said only 3percent of Nigerians think and bliv me, based on replies to dis post, it is true. Jibrin's case is different from DAT of ndume o

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 01, 2017
golpen:

Of course, a school principal under law cannot solely discipline a school teacher, except if the principal is the proprietor of the school, or the power to do so, has been conferred on him.

In government schools, where both the principal and the teachers are all employed by the government, the power a principal has over an erring teacher is serving the teacher a query/memo and that is expected to be a couple of times, before proceeding to report to the disciplinary arm of the ministry of education to implement law enforcement.

Same for Ndume, as a senator. Suspending him out of thoughtful fabrications of Saraki's mind, means Suspending the constituency he represents. They could have organised a committee, to file a suit against him, take him to court and make him pay some fines, apologise publicly et al.

your head is too there sir...I mean ori yin to wanbe ju.

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by akinszz: 12:02pm On Apr 01, 2017
Jiti and Falana have been dragging this man called ozekhome on the mud since 1860... we all know ozekhome is a pdp lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by TheVictorious(m): 12:09pm On Apr 01, 2017
President99:
There u go again! When courts rejected card reader to validate elections which were marred by irregularities, I guess u supported them, coz the courts say is not a law and no matter hw good the card reader is, it cant form part of judgment. Mike is a lawyer not coz is better than other people who are not lawyers in argument but by the virtue of same law he now ignores. No matter hw good an argument is, it must be base on law(constitution or act) or atleast a subsisting court pronouncement.

By the provision of the constitution as at then, card reader report was not strong enough to reject votes of individuals that are duly registered to vote, except otherwise they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that those individuals were not mistakenly rejected by the card reader (We all know the card reader actually rejected countless individuals that were duly eligible and duly registered to vote). This clause gave room for irregularities and this is what has led to the amendment of that law. That said fighting corruption has to do with correcting the system to increase transparency, not to pull down the system and make everybody accountable to one "infallible" individual.

By the way, I did not support anybody that wasn't doing the right thing. I'm not into the same partisan politics you guys always play.

You said "Mike is a lawyer not coz is better than other people who are not lawyers in argument but by the virtue of same law he now ignores. No matter how good an argument is, it must be base on law(constitution or act) or at least a subsisting court pronouncement."

Stop beating round the bush, come out and lucidly highlight how his argument is not based on the law.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"Chinedu My Son Was Killed" - Satchie Emmanuel Etoromi / Gianni Infantino Visits Governor Ambode In Lagos (Photos) / Uzodinma Denies Rejecting Edo Election Results, Not Heading To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.