Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

The Dead (short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Dead (short Story) (1155 Views)

AMIDST THE DEAD / "The DEAD MAN WHO Could Love AGAIN" / THE LIVING, THE DEAD, THE MYSTERY (tale of a suicide journey) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dead (short Story) by ancel(m): 10:22pm On Dec 25, 2009
Stone and Ryan entered the labyrinth and by inspiration, discovered a vantage hiding-place where they could keenly observe the sentries in hot pursuit, and they settled down.

It is in your best interest to emerge. If we find you out, you will experience instant death”, bellowed the lead sentry as the sentries navigated the various cross-linked tunnels of the labyrinth and sprayed nanobugs into the air.

The sentries’ hard faces were almost as deadly as the deleters they brandished. In agreement, the two outlaws on the run continued making power available – each one reminding himself of the truth that when one is swallowed up in The Presence, he can never be found. The generated power was dynamic in its working, establishing an impenetrable force-field that surrounded them.

Suddenly, a stream of nanobugs flooded their secret place and began object-detection procedures. The search was futile, for they could only markup the contours of the cave. As they approached Ryan’s undetected face under the protection of the force-field, he became afraid of them so he held his breath, sharply sucking in a draught of air in the process.

The nanobugs networked as they announced in unison “One human detected. Bearing: 127.46 degrees, Elevation: 37.58 degrees”. And that was when Ryan found out that in his bout of fear, he had stepped out of the covering force-field, while Stone was steadfastly continuing in The Presence, and was still not found. Ryan’s fault could be overlooked, for he was a fresh outlaw, having lived the Life for less than two hours unlike Stone who had grown to exercise his judgment by reason of consistent use.

Undeterred, the sentries glided into the cave and encountered what they had not bargained for: at that moment, Stone emerged from The Presence. A loud volume of incisive light proceeded from him, rippled along, flooded the room and shred a greater proportion of the sentries into pieces while the few who survived were knocked down.

As for the nanobugs, their bodies made of anti-light had dissolved in the light, generating energy and an even brighter light. As the lead sentry regained his balance and leveled his deleter to aim, Stone declared, “None of the weapons you fashion against us can work, and all your techniques are condemned already”. This news rattled the sentries, as they chorused “Invalid parameter! That does not compute, ” and Ryan, who had quickly recovered in the Light, continued “You can’t kill us. We’re both dead to you”.

In a millisecond, each sentry was alarmed to scan the outlaws’ digital death certificates and find out that Ryan was 2 hours dead, and Stone was 93 weeks dead. Visible sparks issued from the sentries’ logical units as they strived to understand the incomprehensible but incontrovertible truth that they faced.

The lead sentry’s voice cracked & morphed as he contested, “But I have all the power! My logic is unconquerable!!” to which Stone replied, “Your power is lame. The authority to direct, control and utilize any kind of power is now in our hands…” Ryan finished up, “…thanks to our lineage. Now, get out of here and don’t ever come near again”.

The sentries left alive transposed and left the vicinity forever, while the wasted ones instantly decayed and the winds took care of their remains.

Re: The Dead (short Story) by ancel(m): 6:31pm On Dec 26, 2009
Please, I value your criticism. Thank you.
Re: The Dead (short Story) by gorociano: 10:58am On Jan 04, 2010
Wow, a nigerian writing in my favourite genre---Sci-fi. I will tell u it's a bit too much to take in, and the story is quite Good, I'll get back to you, let me process it first so my own logical unit will not fry like the antimatter nano bugs, wait. Are you a Physicist like me?
Re: The Dead (short Story) by ancel(m): 3:49pm On Jan 04, 2010
@Gorociano: Im glad you like it! Im not a physicist though I love physics! grin Im a Christian &sometimes, like here, I embed spiritual truths in a sci-fi story. I write fantasy too. This story describes spiritual warfare.
Re: The Dead (short Story) by fellabrims: 11:16am On Jan 13, 2010
ancel:

@Gorociano: Im glad you like it! Im not a physicist though I love physics! grin Im a Christian &sometimes, like here, I embed spiritual truths in a sci-fi story. I write fantasy too. This story describes spiritual warfare.

I noticed. . . it sounded "Christian-like" even if it had the shades of Sci-fi.
A brilliant piece that reveals we are bold enough to conquer situation having really seen the weakness of our predators. . . so to speak. Keep it up!
Re: The Dead (short Story) by MyneWhite1(f): 9:45pm On Jan 15, 2010
I'm always impressed by these kinds of stories, this is really good. I also felt the Christian theme in it, well done!
Re: The Dead (short Story) by Mavenb0x(m): 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
I have to agree with Myne White. I mean, just Wow!!!

(1) (Reply)

On The Passing Of Chinua Achebe By J. P. Clark & Wole Soyinka / Unyime-ivy King’s Burning Hurt Set For Public Presentation / 'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.