Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review (1155 Views)

Fruiting In The Desert Of Widowhood Book Review | Imelda Udoh / Allwrite Story And Book Review Thread / Nigeria's Military Coup Culture 1966-1976 - A Book Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 04, 2013
Told from the perspective of an elderly Cadi, "The Last Sin Eater" is a story based upon the old tradition of a man of a society being chosen by lottery to be the scape goat of his people. Carried over from old Scotland, the tradition dictates that the "sin eater" live apart from society only to appear at the funeral of one who has died in order to take that person's sins upon himself. Cadi, a young girl with a great tragedy weighing on her heart must come face-to-face with this man as well as with her own sins to realize that there is only one way she can find redemption, turning to the one and only true "sin-eater", Jesus Christ.

I find the story touching, moving, and page turning. It caught my heart and my imagination as I struggled, laughed, and cried with the very personable characters within the story. Francine Rivers successful incorporated a true tradition into a fictional story to paint an inspiring picture of what the sins we cling to will do to us, unless we turn to the only one who can set us free.

This is a Christian novel that can also be classified as historical fiction. The biblical references are accurate and well placed. The historical aspect was well researched and respectfully presented. The biblical references are so entwined in the story that they don’t come off as preachy or forced. I believe even readers who don’t normally read Christian literature would enjoy this compelling story. The book contains adventure, danger and coming of age of the two younger characters. The characters are presented in a realistic way and placed in a captivating setting that fits the time period and honestly portrays the traditions of the mountain people.

I enjoyed the author’s descriptions of the mountain flowers, herbs and plants. It was interesting to be exposed to some of the truths, traditions, fears and beliefs of the mountain people. Although this book doesn’t take long to read, it is suspenseful, heartwarming, and well written. I recommend it for all readers. It would be a good choice for a family read aloud or a book club selection.
Re: 'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review by buyles(f): 5:41pm On Aug 16, 2013
I have a copy and i enjoyed readin it, infact francine rivers is my favourite author. Have u read her mark of d lion series..... Simply beautiful

1 Like

Re: 'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review by theSpark(m): 6:40pm On Oct 21, 2015
Hmmm I'll try and get it.

There's this Francine Rivers book about a Jewish slave girl Hadassah, her Roman mistress, a German gladiator Atretes that I enjoyed so much. I've forgotten the name.
Re: 'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review by Silumi(f): 6:04pm On Mar 26, 2016
As sure as dawn perfect book
Re: 'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review by Silumi(f): 6:07pm On Mar 26, 2016
This book was so inspiring it tot me dat God can use anyone and he takes away not just d sin but d guilt as well
Re: 'the Last Sin Eater'- Francine Rivers. Book Review by tpiar: 6:48am On Mar 27, 2016
theSpark:
Hmmm I'll try and get it.

There's this Francine Rivers book about a Jewish slave girl Hadassah, her Roman mistress, a German gladiator Atretes that I enjoyed so much. I've forgotten the name.

Mark of the Lion series.

(1) (Reply)

If 99% Was Good Enough / The Untold Story / What Life Keeps Throwing..... by Rita Fredrick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.