Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,738 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? (906 Views)

PDP Reacts As Wike Dumps Obaseki, Reveals Next Line Of Action / The Man That Started Tribalism In Nigeria / Between Religion And Tribalism, Which Is Nigeria's Worse Problem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by Afam4eva(m): 9:34pm On Apr 01, 2017
I'm writing this because of the rise of what people call NCAN (name Checkers Association of Nigeria). if you don't know what it means, it's simply when there's a news of either a Nigerian doing exploits or committing crimes and people come to check if it's their tribesman that is involved. Even though it may seem as though, this behavior is exhibited by a few, i beg to differ. It seems to me that the average Nigerian or even Human being would prefer that a successful person either in Academics, Entertainment, Business or any field is from their place even though it won't have any direct impact on their lives other than bragging rights.

I must confess, whenever a thread hits frontage with a caption such as "Nigerian caught with drugs in Malaysia", my prayer is usually in the lines, God i hope it's not an Igbo person. But unfortunately, 9 out of 10 times or even 10 out of 10 times, it's usually an Igbo person as far as it's drug related. The opposite happens when i see a News in the lines of "Nigerian graduates with first class at an American university". I'm hoping and praying it's an Igbo person.

Now to my question, what's the thin line between patriotism and Tribalism based on the scenario that i have painted. Are we not allowed to have a soft spot for someone who we share some history with. What is the difference between supporting a friend of yours in the Big Brother Africa house and supporting someone who is from your village. It's undeniable that whenever i come across a competition, my first instinct to choose who to support is to look out for someone who is Igbo before i start considering other variables such as the characteristics of the person. It's the same way when most Nigerian are watching a tennis match involving Serena williams against one other white person, for some reason they always tip Serena to win.

2 Likes

Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by Sealeddeal(m): 9:41pm On Apr 01, 2017
God bless Igboland and no other place.

2 Likes

Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by Davash222(m): 9:42pm On Apr 01, 2017
Mr Op, pls use that 'thin line' to stay on your lane.

Signed
Concerned NCAN member.
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by Amarabae(f): 9:48pm On Apr 01, 2017
The Answer is that Nigeria is a country and not a Nation. We are Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, Binis etc First before Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by Ohammadike: 9:52pm On Apr 01, 2017
Who Nigeria Don epp sef

3 Likes

Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by babyfaceafrica: 10:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
Its a choice and a mind set..NL is daily becoming a coven of tribal warlords who will do anything to prove their tribe is the best, even if negative things happen from their side.THey resort to abuse and lampooning to bring another tribe down..I term such people ...poor and naive people... Rich and well-mannered people look for something special in someone.. See ararume and dariye...see obasanjp and Stella,see atiku and titi,see akeredolu and Betty..see ffk and his mistress....people we fight for daily here who don't give a hoot what tribe you are from...they marry from any place..but you will see some people who have not crossed there enclave before shouting adonja,iPod and Northerner....... People need to read and think...the outside world does not want to know if you are Igbo,ukwani,okun,eche,ijebu ,kanuri or Fulani...for every thing you do...you are a Nigerian.And till further notice let us act like that........it is less toxic outside NL than here...people le date,drink and do business with each other, but here dem be street fighter.. It is well..God bless NIgeria
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by onila(f): 10:20pm On Apr 01, 2017
Ohammadike:
Who Nigeria Don epp sef
grin grin
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:21pm On Apr 01, 2017
op these pple u are describing are suffering from severe moral malnutrition. morally bankrupt. with a high level of civil indecency.
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by kingzizzy: 10:43pm On Apr 01, 2017
Afam4eva:

Now to my question, what's the thin line between patriotism and Tribalism based on the scenario that i have painted.

There is no line, patriotism does not exist in Nigeria.
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by smartty68(m): 11:00pm On Apr 01, 2017
Even a child could see that patriotism doesn't exist in Nigeria. Tribalism is what rules Nigeria

Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by BORNTOSUCKPUSSY: 11:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
Aswear tribalism is very high now very high every thread is now tribalised even romance section is begining to feel the heat emanating from the political section,seun is making money it dosent bothers him
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by Guestlander: 11:09pm On Apr 01, 2017
My own take is that Afam4eva is growing up! You used to be one of the ethnic chauvinists on Nairaland. My own take is that ethnic chauvinism is the bad thing. We are all probably hard wired to feel some loyalty to our different tribes but that should not translate to looking down on other tribes.
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by Horus(m): 11:24pm On Apr 01, 2017
Patrotism = help a country

Tribalism = destroy a country
Re: What is the Thin Line Between Patrotism And Tribalism? by babyfaceafrica: 12:08am On Apr 02, 2017
Guestlander:
My own take is that Afam4eva is growing up! You used to be one of the ethnic chauvinists on Nairaland. My own take is that ethnic chauvinism is the bad thing. We are all probably hard wired to feel some loyalty to our different tribes but that should not translate to looking down on other tribes.
so am not the only one who notice that he also championed ethnic jingosim at one time...he is now growing up

(1) (Reply)

Germany Deports ISIS Jihadist To Nigeria / Update On Illegal Eviction Of Lekki Original Settlers(Pics attached) . / What???? The President Just Rolled Out Contact For Reaching Him One On One!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.