Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Issue With State Of Origin Claim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Issue With State Of Origin Claim (1524 Views)

Kogi Deports ‘78 Northern Beggars’ To States Of Origin | Sahara Reporters / New Minimum Wage: NLC Prepares For Showdown With State Governors Dec 31 / Fayose Absent At Buhari's Meeting With State Governors In Aso Rock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Issue With State Of Origin Claim by Jayboi(m): 9:25am On Apr 02, 2017
Hello nairalanders I have a friend who has this political ambition to contest for a post tho he would be able to do that as long as he's an indigene. His mum is an indigene of the state but his dad is from another state. my question now is that can he lay claim to be an indigene and if so, is there a part of the nigerian constitution or inec electoral law or even employment law that can back his claim should there be an issue in the foreseeable future. I would appreciate positive responses from u guys. Thanks
Re: Issue With State Of Origin Claim by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:45am On Apr 02, 2017
My friend, as Nigerians our indigenship is tied to our fathers not mothers. He may be allowed to run but his chances of winning is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slim even in the ruling party of the state, except if he is running in Lagos state...

2 Likes

Re: Issue With State Of Origin Claim by Jayboi(m): 10:11am On Apr 02, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
My friend, as Nigerians our indigenship is tied to our fathers not mothers. He may be allowed to run but his chances of winning is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slim even in the ruling party of the state, except if he is running in Lagos state...
I really appreciate this.
Apart from people's perception about the father's origin being considered, is there any law to back this up.
Re: Issue With State Of Origin Claim by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:14am On Apr 02, 2017
Jayboi:

I really appreciate this.
Apart from people's perception about the father's origin being considered, is there any law to back this up.
Absolutely NO! Any Nigerian can run for office in any part of the federation
Re: Issue With State Of Origin Claim by Ahmadgani(m): 1:25pm On Apr 02, 2017
You only contest election in a place you registered to vote. However it is important to note that nigerians are too attach to indigeneship rather than citizenship.
Re: Issue With State Of Origin Claim by CriticMaestro: 1:29pm On Apr 02, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
absolute lies, from where i come, we follow our mother's side not father
Re: Issue With State Of Origin Claim by theSpark(m): 5:29pm On Apr 02, 2017
Once you get an indigenship certificate from any local government you're an indigene. Whether or not any of your parents is from there.

Tell your friend to get the indigenship certificate. If he's granted he's free to contest for any office. There are seats you don't need to be an indigene to contest for, eg HoA, HoR, or Senate.

It is one thing to be eligible to stand for election. It is another for the people to see you as one of them.
Re: Issue With State Of Origin Claim by Blue3k(m): 5:33pm On Apr 02, 2017
Sounds like good advice the forum is giving.

(1) (Reply)

The Buhari We Met In London, By Gov Okorocha / Why Are Nigerians Or Africans Not Wealthy - Jewish German Reveals ! / We Demand Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.