Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,735 members, 7,827,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". (5809 Views)

Google Puts 30-day Hold On Plans To Ban Use Of Android Accessibility Services / What Is The Use Of Nairaland's Share Button? / India Government Scrapes The Use Of 500 & 1000 Rupees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by dmltoyin(m): 10:27pm On Apr 02, 2017
The phrase ' How was your night?' In the English language means, , ' How was last night's sex?'

Or, if for instance, we are close and you know I went home with a man or woman last night and you ask as an accomplice ' How was your night?' In this case it simply means, ' so did it go well or did it go as expected?'

I'll give you two real life examples. One was mine and one happened in my cousins office. She consults for the UN.

In my own case, I jog most mornings. Years back, having just returned to the country, this young man will greet me every morning and I'll answer. Then one day, he asked me, 'How was your night?' He went merrily on his way, I stopped, turned looking at him in anger fuming. My thoughts were, ' it's not your fault, if I hadn't been responding to your 'good morning' will we graduate to 'How was your night?'

Second occurrence, at my cousins office.

English woman comes in and everyone exchange the usual good morning. Then, one 'nice' Naija brother goes, 'How was your night?' English woman flares up ' How dare you!?'. ' How is my night your business?' Etc, it took major intervention to calm the woman down.

The answer to ' How was your night?' Is actually *'none of your business!'*

I have checked our local languages, I am fluent in two, and passable in one. Even as transliteration, no Nigerian language asks 'How was your night?' I am checking because this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 7years ago. I suspect,some 'oversabi wannabe' heard it on a music video somewhere and wanted to form posh or as my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals. It's common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths to May occur at night. So a doctor's question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually 'How was your night?' If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at deaths door?

The proper address for mornings is simply 'good morning' and if you want to spice it up by being overtly friendly, you may add 'hope you slept well?' A person's night. Is not our business.

If we are Igbo it's either, ibolachi- have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, ekaro- good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won't to do by adding ",se daada Leji' - hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks 'How was your night?' So, No! It is not African either.

So let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.

Se daadaa leji?

1 Like

Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 02, 2017
I am guilty as charge, so is benita27 and bumbae1.

We are Nigerians and sometimes our morning compliments are not complete without asking "how was your night" or how do you do
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Ajanacool(m): 10:35pm On Apr 02, 2017
Hmmm over sabi indeed! 90% of we youths are guilty of this. Ignorance is truly a disease. It just keeps spreading
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by giftedheart1(m): 10:37pm On Apr 02, 2017
this is educating! thanks for this wonderful piece! it will go a long way to help ppl. I promise to be ur emissary. This teaching must go places and must be 'installed' in the system of the growing ones. I firmly resolve not to use How was ur night again.
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:37pm On Apr 02, 2017
Dextology:
I am guilty as charge, so is benita27 and bumbae1.

We are Nigerians and sometimes our morning compliments are not complete without asking "how was your night" or how do you do

Me no guilty o .. mine is how u dey cheesy
Dexo wan try am na u dey ask dat kin question.
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 02, 2017
Bumbae1:

Chai, I go refrain from asking that question.
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by MrRichy(m): 10:42pm On Apr 02, 2017
op... how was your night ? grin grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 02, 2017
Op, the Hausa version of it is "kin tashi lafiya"? meaning "hope you woke up well?

Sometimes I usually make use "hope you had a good night rest"?
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 02, 2017
Dextology:

Chai, I go refrain from asking that question.

How was your night grin
Uve been misding few nights now ..
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 02, 2017
Bumbae1:

How was your night grin
Uve been misding few nights now ..

My night was great with my bed and pillows grin grin.

I have been around jare, sometimes I don't know what to comment on some threads. I am always observing shocked cheesy grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 02, 2017
Dextology:

My night was great with my bed and pillows grin grin.

I have been around jare, sometimes I don't know what to comment on some threads. I am always observing shocked cheesy grin
U sure say na only pillow n bed grin talk true
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by dmltoyin(m): 10:51pm On Apr 02, 2017
MrRichy:
op... he was your night ? grin grin
its not ur business grin grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 02, 2017
Bumbae1:

How about "How was your day?". Abeg! They should leave me alone. grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 02, 2017
Benita27:
How about "How was your day?". Abeg! They should leave me alone. grin
Monitoring spirit much grin one can't chat again
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 02, 2017
Bumbae1:

U sure say na only pillow n bed grin talk true

E be se you put CCTV for my house. grin grin grin

You be MI6? grin grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 02, 2017
Bumbae1:

Monitoring spirit much grin one can't chat again
Lol. grin

1 Like

Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by thesicilian: 10:55pm On Apr 02, 2017
"How was your night?" in Nigerian context means "Did you sleep well?" or "Did you have a great night?"
It is as simple as that. Whoever flares up at such a question is obviously grossly misinformed.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:55pm On Apr 02, 2017
Dextology:

E be se you put CCTV for my house. grin grin grin

You be MI6? grin grin
Yessir grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 02, 2017
Bumbae1:

Yessir grin

I no de fear you grin. I be mossad, I be your next door neighbour. grin grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 02, 2017
Dextology:

I no de fear you grin. I be mossad, I be your next door neighbour. grin grin

My neighbour na wan weyrey o .. sure dats u grin
Lets not derail tongue
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 02, 2017
Bumbae1:

My neighbour na wan weyrey o .. sure dats u grin
Lets not derail tongue

I no de o. I no like weyrey people at all. grin grin.

This thread is interesting to be derailed.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by dmltoyin(m): 11:11pm On Apr 02, 2017
thesicilian:
"How was your night?" in Nigerian context means "Did you sleep well?" or "Did you have a great night?"
It is as simple as that. Whoever flares up at such a question is obviously grossly misinformed.
is there anything like "Nigerian context" in the use if English?
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by thesicilian: 11:20pm On Apr 02, 2017
dmltoyin:
is there anything like "Nigerian context" in the use if English?
The use of any language is greatly influenced by the culture of the locality where it is being spoken. eg British English, American English.
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by HQuadreal: 11:27pm On Apr 02, 2017
Welldone.
You try wella.
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by dmltoyin(m): 11:46pm On Apr 02, 2017
thesicilian:
The use of any language is greatly influenced by the culture of the locality where it is being spoken. eg British English, American English.
im yet to be officially informed bout the "Nigerian English".
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by KennyID17(m): 12:14am On Apr 03, 2017
dmltoyin:

Well now have been officially informed about it, I wee still use it for ppl tomorrow morning cheesy, if anybody like make him blow, kokanmi grin grin grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by dmltoyin(m): 5:40am On Apr 03, 2017
KennyID17:

Well now have been officially informed about it, I wee still use it for ppl tomorrow morning cheesy, if anybody like make him blow, kokanmi grin grin grin
lol grin
Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by thesicilian: 7:24am On Apr 03, 2017
dmltoyin:
The memo will soon get to your desk sir. There must have been a delay at the Post Office or something.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of "How Was Your Night?". by dmltoyin(m): 1:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
thesicilian:
The memo will soon get to your desk sir. There must have been a delay at the Post Office or something.
lol grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Guys Should Learn How To Do The Full Body Massage, It's For Their Own Good. / 9 Countries You Can Travel To And Get Rich In No Time – You Don’t Need USA / Chat With Whatsapp Web Using Opera For Computers - Whatsapp Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.