Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths (53496 Views)

Killings Need To Be Handled Carefully To Avoid Civil War - Osinbajo / Remove Land Land From Map To Avoid Civil War Itsekiri Youths Warn IPOB MASSOB / Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths Warn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by yom2(m): 1:57am On Apr 10, 2017
successmatters:

I wonder why the SW cannot sty alone. What is this lack of confidence that makes them want to gum their body withothers before they could be recognized?
u are seeing things frm an opaque glass. D south west dnt take decisions alone they hav 200 other tribes to agree with

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by yom2(m): 2:03am On Apr 10, 2017
NwaforIgbo:

But am i lying? Wait till Biafra comes and see true patriotism. We are even showing the patriotism now. My name was all english name, but i did a change of name and bear all-Igbo names Chizobem Chikwere Chinedu. So the patriotism we would manifest for Bia - fra is beyond.
Before i was trying to fake accent but Nnamdi Kanu decolonized me.
NwaforIgbo:

But am i lying? Wait till Biafra comes and see true patriotism. We are even showing the patriotism now. My name was all english name, but i did a change of name and bear all-Igbo names Chizobem Chikwere Chinedu. So the patriotism we would manifest for Bia - fra is beyond.
Before i was trying to fake accent but Nnamdi Kanu decolonized me.
sir, with all due respect where is dis school of brainwashing located ? I think they are quite ingenious.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Phyll247: 7:06am On Apr 19, 2017
kingzizzy:

You are either ignorant or confused. There is a difference between Igbos wanting their own country and Igbos wanting Biafra. Biafra has never been just about Igbo.

Biafra is about the ancient kingdom which once covered what is now Southern Cameroon and what Nigerians now call SE/SS stopping just before the Bini Empire. I will include an old navigation map below to show what I mean.

So Biafra is not about being Igbo, it is about the indigenous people that occupy a certain area and if they want to continue with the British colonial experiment called Nigeria and those who wish to exit Nigeria and start afresh under a new name of Biafra.

I dont know where you got this story that Onitsha is Bini however, that is not the issue.

The real issue is, what do Onitsha people want? What do Ndokwa want? What do Ika want? What do Ogoja want? What do Ikwerre want? What Ijaw, Ogoni, Efik all want?

Do they want Nigeria or prefare Biafra? Being Igbo or not has nothing to do with answering this question.

The only thing that can answer this question is referendum. This is not about a group people sitting down somewhere and declaring wether they will be included in Biafra or not. This is about people and tribes choosing their future

Lord Lugard did not give anyone referendum on being Nigeria or not, his gun was the referendum he used force everyone together.

It has become long overdue for everyone to affairm or reject being Nigerian.
Listen broda, education and research will do you more good than being ignorant. I'm sorry for using the word "ignorant". Go and read the book "THE LOWER NIGER AND ITS TRIBES BY Major ARTHUR GLYN LEONARD LATE 2ND BATT. EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT AUTHOR OF 'THE CAMEL, ITS USES AND MANAGEMENT/ AND HOW WE MADE RHODESIA pulished in 1906"...Rhodesia was the initial name for Nigeria. Isuama, in which the purest Ibo is said to be spoken, is to be found the heart of the Ibo nationality ; consequently it is quite reasonable to look among its people for the original fountain-head from which all the other clans have sprung. This inference too is supported not only by the purity of the language, but by this right of dispensing or rather of conferring royalty which is undoubtedly the prerogative of the Nri or N'shi people.

Once more let us return to the vicinity of the Niger, to a place called Onitsha-Mili, lying a few miles to the north-west of Asaba. Here the tradition is that this place, along with the towns of Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Ukwu, Onitsha-Ugbo, and Onitsha-Ukwuani, migrated or were driven out, presumably between two to three hundred years ago, from the near vicinity of Benin City, which they speak of as Ado-n-Idu.

Crossing over the river to the east bank, some four or five miles below Asaba, is another community, comprising a principal town and several outlying villages, which is merely called Onitsha, that in olden days was undoubtedly the parent stock from which those now on the western side had been derived. According to its elders, fourteen generations since Ado-n-Idu was the capital of an extensive kingdom embracing many countries, but having religion, customs, and language in common, over which Oba ruled as king. At the time in question Onitsha, situated to the westward of Benin, and between it and the river, was one of these countries. It happened one day that Asije, the royal mother of this great monarch, went on to one of the farms belonging to Onitsha-Mili, for the purpose, it appears, of gathering sticks, for which she was seized and beaten by the people to whom the farms belonged. On her return to Benin she reported the matter of her ill-treatment to the king, and he at once ordered his younger brother Gbunmara, the commander-in-chief of his forces, to punish the insult which had been offered to his royal mother. Gbunmara immediately mustered a large army, and lost no time in invading the territory of Onitsha, the king of which, with all the available men whom he could collect, opposed him. After two days' severe fighting, however, the latter were defeated, and, sooner than surrender, the entire community retired to the locality on the western bank which is now occupied by the greater majority of their descendants, but a small portion made their way southward towards Abo. Chima the king, however, with his two sons Ekensu and Oreze and their households, retreated right across the river, and settled in the same spot that their successors now occupy.

But in leaving Ado-n-Idu behind them, these people then and for ever abandoned their Bini nationality and language. For even those who have remained on the western bank, and who are therefore within easy touch of Benin, are Ibo in every essential, talking pure Ibo, and not a mixed language, or even a dialect, in which Bini words are to be found. Yet the spirit of chima, their more modern founder and ancestor, is still with them, living and embodied in the same tree which he planted with his own hand.

In chapter 4 page 46 of the book in quote "A still more striking example, however, is that of Onitsha. For here we find a whole community, numbering now, at the lowest computation, 100,000 souls, Ibo in every respect, who 250 years ago at the most were Bini in language, as in everything else." What will you say about this broda? There is also a village in present northern part of Edo state called Adaobi in Afemai to be precise, they bear Igbo names and also knows Akalaka, Ekpeye and Ogba who migrated further Southeast from Benin Cityand they went North of Edo. They bears names like Udochi, Ogbonna and more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afemai_people
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by OjukwuWarBird: 7:27am On Apr 19, 2017
Phyll247:
Listen broda, education and research will do you more good than being ignorant. I'm sorry for using the word "ignorant". Go and read the book "THE LOWER NIGER AND ITS TRIBES BY Major ARTHUR GLYN LEONARD LATE 2ND BATT. EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT AUTHOR OF 'THE CAMEL, ITS USES AND MANAGEMENT/ AND HOW WE MADE RHODESIA pulished in 1906"...Rhodesia was the initial name for Nigeria. Isuama, in which the purest Ibo is said to be spoken, is to be found the heart of the Ibo nationality ; consequently it is quite reasonable to look among its people for the original fountain-head from which all the other clans have sprung. This inference too is supported not only by the purity of the language, but by this right of dispensing or rather of conferring royalty which is undoubtedly the prerogative of the Nri or N'shi people.

Once more let us return to the vicinity of the Niger, to a place called Onitsha-Mili, lying a few miles to the north-west of Asaba. Here the tradition is that this place, along with the towns of Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Ukwu, Onitsha-Ugbo, and Onitsha-Ukwuani, migrated or were driven out, presumably between two to three hundred years ago, from the near vicinity of Benin City, which they speak of as Ado-n-Idu.

Crossing over the river to the east bank, some four or five miles below Asaba, is another community, comprising a principal town and several outlying villages, which is merely called Onitsha, that in olden days was undoubtedly the parent stock from which those now on the western side had been derived. According to its elders, fourteen generations since Ado-n-Idu was the capital of an extensive kingdom embracing many countries, but having religion, customs, and language in common, over which Oba ruled as king. At the time in question Onitsha, situated to the westward of Benin, and between it and the river, was one of these countries. It happened one day that Asije, the royal mother of this great monarch, went on to one of the farms belonging to Onitsha-Mili, for the purpose, it appears, of gathering sticks, for which she was seized and beaten by the people to whom the farms belonged. On her return to Benin she reported the matter of her ill-treatment to the king, and he at once ordered his younger brother Gbunmara, the commander-in-chief of his forces, to punish the insult which had been offered to his royal mother. Gbunmara immediately mustered a large army, and lost no time in invading the territory of Onitsha, the king of which, with all the available men whom he could collect, opposed him. After two days' severe fighting, however, the latter were defeated, and, sooner than surrender, the entire community retired to the locality on the western bank which is now occupied by the greater majority of their descendants, but a small portion made their way southward towards Abo. Chima the king, however, with his two sons Ekensu and Oreze and their households, retreated right across the river, and settled in the same spot that their successors now occupy.

But in leaving Ado-n-Idu behind them, these people then and for ever abandoned their Bini nationality and language. For even those who have remained on the western bank, and who are therefore within easy touch of Benin, are Ibo in every essential, talking pure Ibo, and not a mixed language, or even a dialect, in which Bini words are to be found. Yet the spirit of chima, their more modern founder and ancestor, is still with them, living and embodied in the same tree which he planted with his own hand.

In chapter 4 page 46 of the book in quote "A still more striking example, however, is that of Onitsha. For here we find a whole community, numbering now, at the lowest computation, 100,000 souls, Ibo in every respect, who 250 years ago at the most were Bini in language, as in everything else." What will you say about this broda? There is also a village in present northern part of Edo state called Adaobi in Afemai to be precise, they bear Igbo names and also knows Akalaka, Ekpeye and Ogba who migrated further Southeast from Benin Cityand they went North of Edo. They bears names like Udochi, Ogbonna and more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afemai_people

If Onitsha is Bini land and are Binis, how did they learn Igbo since Igbos are not Aborigines of that land.?
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Phyll247: 7:37am On Apr 19, 2017
OjukwuWarBird:

If Onitsha is Bini land and are Binis, how did they learn Igbo since Igbos are not Aborigines of that land.?
How do my Igbo brodas in China speak the language or how do Nigerians in diaspora learn the language of their host? If you have read my post, you will noticed the years mentioned was 200 to 300 years in which they lived there even before the coming of the white man. This fake country called Nigeria is just 100 years plus and most Igbos in Lagos knows how to speak Yoruba. How was that possible?
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by OjukwuWarBird: 7:38am On Apr 19, 2017
Phyll247:
How do my Igbo brodas in China speak the language or how do Nigerians in diaspora learn the language of their host? If you have read my post, you will noticed the years mentioned was 200 to 300 years in which they lived there even before the coming of the white man. This fake country called Nigeria is just 100 years plus and most Igbos in Lagos knows how to speak Yoruba. How was that possible?

Because Lagos is Yoruba land occupied by Yorubas that is why we learnt how to speak Yoruba

So same apply to Onitsha

So All Bini blood should vacate our land

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Phyll247: 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
OjukwuWarBird:

Because Lagos is Yoruba land
NO broda Lagos is NOT a Yoruba land. Because Yoruba land have boundary with Lagos doesn't make it Yoruba. Try and read the book HOW WE MADE RHODESIA by Major ARTHUR GLYN LEONARD. The book covers the whole of South East/South South tribes and origin based on the narration by the natives and recorded by the white man. The book is very enlightening and mind blowing. Written and published before the Amalgamation of this fake contraption called Nigeria.
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Phyll247: 7:50am On Apr 19, 2017
OjukwuWarBird:

Because Lagos is Yoruba land occupied by Yorubas that is why we learnt how to speak Yoruba

So same apply to Onitsha

So All Bini blood should vacate our land
It is more than what you think my broda. Just try and read the book. I was shocked in my years of research and fact findings.
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by byteem: 8:15am On Apr 19, 2017
Nebuchadnezar:
grin

of course that map need to be reviewed.
so many errors
the likes of itshekiri ijaw urhobo isoko need to be cut out of the map.
they are free to belong to where they are but
believe it or not the movement is waxing stronger and no force can stop it.

kiss the truth

CRIMINALS .. IMAJINE ONE BAIFRAUD IDOIT CLAIMING THAT NIGERDELTA IS PART OF BAIFRA..

HELL NOOO .. LET THEM KEEP DECEIVING THEMSELVES.. WE ARE NO PART OF BIAFRA.. AND NEVER WILL BE.. THESE BIAFRA BUNCH ARE CONFUSED .JOKERS .. . IMAGINE THE ARROGANCE AND INSOLENCE .. BIAFRA SHOULD STICK TO ITS EASTERN STATES.. ENUGU .. ABIA ANAMBRA IMO ,AND EBONYI..

AKWA IBOM , DELTA ,BAYELSA , EDO,AND CROSS RIVER ARE NOT PART OF BIAFRA... AND NEVER WILL BE.. BASIC...FORGET ALL THAT MAP DEFINATIONS THATS CRAP..

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Indiaindia: 9:05am On Apr 19, 2017
REMOVE AKWAIBOM ALSO TO AVOID TRIBAL WAR. ASOK ADIOG ONO BIAFRA

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Indiaindia: 9:07am On Apr 19, 2017
byteem:

CRIMINALS .. IMAJINE ONE BAIFRAUD IDOIT CLAIMING THAT NIGERDELTA IS PART OF BAIFRA..

HELL NOOO .. LET THEM KEEP DECEIVING THEMSELVES.. WE ARE NO PART OF BIAFRA.. AND NEVER WILL BE.. THESE BIAFRA BUNCH ARE CONFUSED .JOKERS .. . IMAGINE THE ARROGANCE AND INSOLENCE .. BIAFRA SHOULD STICK TO ITS EASTERN STATES.. ENUGU .. ABIA ANAMBRA IMO ,AND EBONYI..

AKWA IBOM , DELTA ,BAYELSA , EDO,AND CROSS RIVER ARE NOT PART OF BIAFRA... AND NEVER WILL BE.. BASIC...FORGET ALL THAT MAP DEFINATIONS THATS CRAP..

BROS ABEG ADVICE THEM LET THEM HEAR

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by kingzizzy: 2:30pm On Apr 19, 2017
Phyll247:

These are all fairey tales. It is possible that Bini invaded Onitsha at some point, however, Onitshe people are native Igbos. The proof of tnis is their surnames. How can Bini people be answring Igbo surnames?

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Phyll247: 4:40pm On Apr 19, 2017
kingzizzy:

These are all fairey tales. It is possible that Bini invaded Onitsha at some point, however, Onitshe people are native Igbos. The proof of tnis is their surnames. How can Bini people be answring Igbo surnames?
When do names start becoming a yard stick for determining the origin of a people? What will you say about some Calabar people that bear English names as first and last name? Why are some Igbos that live in Yoruba or Hausa land bearing Yoruba/Hausa names when both parents are Igbo? Can you explain that? cos I have seen that broda

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Phyll247: 4:41pm On Apr 19, 2017
kingzizzy:

Why should the Northern part of Edo be bearing Igbo names? Can you explain that? I know you haven't done any research about that or knew those who are from that part but bears pure Igbo names. How was that possible?
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Favor99(m): 5:28am On Apr 23, 2017
unstableaswater:
That Itsekiri leader is best advised to direct his grievances to Nigeria. He should ask Nigeria to call a Biafra Referendum.

That way select groups can vote and their decision respected. It is democratic, free and fair.

Biafra is about due process and so far, the Biafra movemnet have observed due process and that is why the court have order Nnamdi Kanu release but Buhari and Nigeria disobey court order to continue an illegal detention whilst murdering and abducting peaceful protester.

Let us not catch that Itsekiri man talking ignorantly again or making preposterous and outlandish claims with regards to maps.

There are no official Biafra map as of today, until Nigeria agrees to a referendum for all in the SS/SE AND MIDDLE-BELT.
What did the itsekiri do wrong? They simply stated that they don't want to be part of Biafra. Why are people insulting them? You heard from them. Igbos on here having been dishing out insults on the itsekiri nation simply because they politely turned down the offer to be part of Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Favor99(m): 5:48am On Apr 23, 2017
ab11baddo:
my brother... It's disheartening to see how every tribes picks on igbos online.....coming to nairaland I see d reason behind it....
How are they picking on you guys. Your the ones that started this mess by including them in your Biafra without consulting them. All they said is that they don't want to be part of Biafra. I don't see anything foul here. Itsekiri where part of the Benin kingdom, how are they part of your 15th century Biafra map when they were in Benin kingdom. I smell bulls)it. All you want is their oil

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Larmont(m): 12:43pm On Apr 23, 2017
Phyll247:
NO broda Lagos is NOT a Yoruba land. Because Yoruba land have boundary with Lagos doesn't make it Yoruba. Try and read the book HOW WE MADE RHODESIA by Major ARTHUR GLYN LEONARD. The book covers the whole of South East/South South tribes and origin based on the narration by the natives and recorded by the white man. The book is very enlightening and mind blowing. Written and published before the Amalgamation of this fake contraption called Nigeria.
so Lagos is whose land?? Just curious

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by ab11baddo(m): 2:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
Favor99:

How are they picking on you guys. Your the ones that started this mess by including them in your Biafra without consulting them. All they said is that they don't want to be part of Biafra. I don't see anything foul here. Itsekiri where part of the Benin kingdom, how are they part of your 15th century Biafra map when they were in Benin kingdom. I smell bulls)it. All you want is their oil
bro am not even igbo.... Try reading again
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Phyll247: 2:50pm On Apr 24, 2017
Larmont:
so Lagos is whose land?? Just curious
This is an excerpt from the book "THE LOWER NIGER AND ITS TRIBES" by Major ARTHUR GLYN LEONARD Chapter 3 page 27-31 " Of the Jekri also there is much more definite, although to a certain extent contradictory, evidence. According to one account they are said to have been closely connected with the Yoruba, the Warri kingdom having extended to and embraced Lagos as well as some of the surrounding territory. To this day, in fact, Jekri inhabit the strip of country stretching along the coast from the Benin river westward to Lagos.

Another and undoubtedly the true version, in spite of the fact that their language is cognate with Yoruba, affirms them to have been derived from the Bini, although now, on the eastern side especially, their blood has mingled very much with that of the Sobo, Igabo, and, in a lesser degree, the Ijo.

According to native tradition, Lagos, or Eko, as it is called by the natives, was originally founded by a Bini army, who had in the first instance been despatched by the King of Benin to collect tribute from his refractory vassals at "Ogulata," a place to the north of the island on which the present town is situated. Having failed in his mission, the commander, fearing to return, settled on the island with his warriors, and, in spite of the pardon that was promised and the hopes which were held out to them, they steadily refused to return to Benin. Subsequently, however, they and the Ogulata people — with whom, through intermarriage and other social relations, they were on good terms — acknowledged the suzerainty of the Bini monarch, and became incorporated into a dependency that paid an annual tribute. In this way the name given to the islet and the settlement on it by these warrior settlers was Aonin or Awani 1 — afterwards corrupted to Oni by European traders — as showing its connection with Benin City, and the stock from which they were descended.

Conflicting as this may appear, it is not in reality so contradictory, when the fact is taken into consideration that in olden times the Benin empire, quite apart from its numerous dependencies, was divided into two separate states — Benin proper and Warri. This, it seems, had been a purely amicable division that had occurred through the excessive growth of the royal family, by which an arrangement had been effected that provided for the removal of the younger branch to the latter place as a tributary vassal to the elder. And from all accounts it is more than possible, if not evident, that the army of warriors who founded Lagos proceeded in reality from Warri, but doubtless by command of the King of Benin. It is also a matter of certainty that many of these outlying dependencies or tributaries of the parent kingdom were established in exactly the same manner as Brass and Lagos: as a result, in the first place, of the failure of some specific mission, carrying with it the fear of retributive consequences; and, in the second, the natural desire for personal independence, and to shake off the oppression of a yoke which threatened to consign their spiritual existence to an eternal doom of disembodiment.

That Warri is the same locality which Barbot and other travellers or writers allude to under various cognomens — among others, Awerri and Oveiro — is quite certain; also the fact that the chief town of the kingdom to which it belonged was Aoni or Awini, 1 ie. descended from Ini or Bini. Indeed, until quite recently — and even now among the natives themselves — the Jekri were certainly known to the Abo as Iwini, and to the Brassmen as Senaina ; and, notwithstanding the fact that during modern times Warri has been practically independent, prior to the destruction of Benin City by the English in 1897 the reigning prince and chiefs always paid tribute and acknowledged the supremacy of the elder branch — a fact which speaks for itself!

Similarly, it is unquestionable that the Oedo of Barbot and the older authors was the Idu of the Niger and surrounding natives, and the Benin City of the English; for not only is this confirmed by tradition, but the name is still in use at the present day among the Abo tribe, as well as among the Ibo of the Lower Niger, between Abo and Idab."
Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by bantudra: 7:07pm On Apr 24, 2017
Phyll247:
This is an excerpt from the book "THE LOWER NIGER AND ITS TRIBES" by Major ARTHUR GLYN LEONARD Chapter 3 page 27-31 " Of the Jekri also there is much more definite, although to a certain extent contradictory, evidence. According to one account they are said to have been closely connected with the Yoruba, the Warri kingdom having extended to and embraced Lagos as well as some of the surrounding territory. To this day, in fact, Jekri inhabit the strip of country stretching along the coast from the Benin river westward to Lagos.

Another and undoubtedly the true version, in spite of the fact that their language is cognate with Yoruba, affirms them to have been derived from the Bini, although now, on the eastern side especially, their blood has mingled very much with that of the Sobo, Igabo, and, in a lesser degree, the Ijo.

According to native tradition, Lagos, or Eko, as it is called by the natives, was originally founded by a Bini army, who had in the first instance been despatched by the King of Benin to collect tribute from his refractory vassals at "Ogulata," a place to the north of the island on which the present town is situated. Having failed in his mission, the commander, fearing to return, settled on the island with his warriors, and, in spite of the pardon that was promised and the hopes which were held out to them, they steadily refused to return to Benin. Subsequently, however, they and the Ogulata people — with whom, through intermarriage and other social relations, they were on good terms — acknowledged the suzerainty of the Bini monarch, and became incorporated into a dependency that paid an annual tribute. In this way the name given to the islet and the settlement on it by these warrior settlers was Aonin or Awani 1 — afterwards corrupted to Oni by European traders — as showing its connection with Benin City, and the stock from which they were descended.

Conflicting as this may appear, it is not in reality so contradictory, when the fact is taken into consideration that in olden times the Benin empire, quite apart from its numerous dependencies, was divided into two separate states — Benin proper and Warri. This, it seems, had been a purely amicable division that had occurred through the excessive growth of the royal family, by which an arrangement had been effected that provided for the removal of the younger branch to the latter place as a tributary vassal to the elder. And from all accounts it is more than possible, if not evident, that the army of warriors who founded Lagos proceeded in reality from Warri, but doubtless by command of the King of Benin. It is also a matter of certainty that many of these outlying dependencies or tributaries of the parent kingdom were established in exactly the same manner as Brass and Lagos: as a result, in the first place, of the failure of some specific mission, carrying with it the fear of retributive consequences; and, in the second, the natural desire for personal independence, and to shake off the oppression of a yoke which threatened to consign their spiritual existence to an eternal doom of disembodiment.

That Warri is the same locality which Barbot and other travellers or writers allude to under various cognomens — among others, Awerri and Oveiro — is quite certain; also the fact that the chief town of the kingdom to which it belonged was Aoni or Awini, 1 ie. descended from Ini or Bini. Indeed, until quite recently — and even now among the natives themselves — the Jekri were certainly known to the Abo as Iwini, and to the Brassmen as Senaina ; and, notwithstanding the fact that during modern times Warri has been practically independent, prior to the destruction of Benin City by the English in 1897 the reigning prince and chiefs always paid tribute and acknowledged the supremacy of the elder branch — a fact which speaks for itself!

Similarly, it is unquestionable that the Oedo of Barbot and the older authors was the Idu of the Niger and surrounding natives, and the Benin City of the English; for not only is this confirmed by tradition, but the name is still in use at the present day among the Abo tribe, as well as among the Ibo of the Lower Niger, between Abo and Idab."

i told them that we are all bini empire,they didnt believe me....radio biafra realy messed up their heads..

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths by Konquest: 2:06pm On Jun 04, 2017

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

I Will Run For Presidency Under PDP In 2019 – Lamido / Zamfara hisbah arrests policeman ‘for being with 3 women' in hotel / 7 Buhari Ministers That Are Doing Absolutely Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.