Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

... - Agriculture (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / ... (316426 Views)

My Broiler Farm (250 Zartech Broilers) Expected To Raise For 8-10 Weeks / My Broiler Farm Diary / Looking For Marketer's For My Broiler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (104) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ... by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 24, 2018
Importance of pawpaw in poultry farming, the main focus is on poultry, mainly broilers, layers & turkeys.

Pawpaw is a fruit that thrives well in the tropics and subtropics. Its sweetness, adaptability, availability and usefulness makes it a well known fruit. The fruits, leaves, roots and latex from the stem are highly useful both in medicinal and other purposes. Papain, a major enzyme and chemical compound obtained from the fruits, seeds and from the latex gotten from the stem is used in medicial, nutraceutical and industrial companies like brewing, winemaking, tanning and textile industries. Pawpaw contains a broad spectrum of phytochenicals including vitamins, amino acids, polysaccharides, alkaloids, minerals, enzymes, glycosides, fats and oils, lectins, saponins, flavonoids, sterols, etc.

Every part of the Pawpaw tree is useful just like the Palm Tree, but little is known or appreciated about its wonderful use in poultry management among farmers, despite the experimental breakthroughs achieved by scientists and enlightened farmers using this wonder fruit.

Medical & Nutraceutical Aspects of Pawpaw
1. Pawpaw is highly nutritious – has abundance of natural vitamins and minerals and low in calories. It comes first among fruits for its high deposits of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Thiamine (Vitamin B¹), Folic Acid (Vitamin B⁹), Calcium, Riboflavin (Vitamin B²), Niacin (Vitamin B³), Vitamin E, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron and Fibre. It is low in Sodium and fat. The high levels of
Carotene and the eye-saving carotenoids (Lutein, Zeanxanthin and Lycopene) in pawpaw helps fight against free radicals and help in coloration of egg yolks in layers , the shanks of broilers and layers, when used as feed ingredient.

2. Rich in Enzymes for Digestion
One of the main challenges of the modern poultry farmer is ensuring digestibility and gut health of the birds, which allows optimal feed conversion ratio (FCR), meat yield, good environment for probiotics in the gut and high immunity. These reduce costs, health disasters and waste.
Pawpaw is filled with different enzymes that promote good digestion, good breakdown of ingested food and gastrointestinal (GIT) health. Papain digests proteins in any medium , whether acidic, alkaline and neutral . It breaks down proteins in wheat-based or soy/corn based diets.

3. Tenderizing Meat
Papain in pawpaw helps in making meat tender and sweeter. This has been a known method used by Indians via the use of boiling meat with raw uncooked pawpaw. In some parts of the tropics, meat is wrapped in pawpaw leaves. At room temperature, a slow reaction of tenderizing occurs but is heightened at a maximum temperature of 80°C to make it tender .

4. Antioxidant & Immunity Booster
The fruit is a very viable antioxidant to fight against diseases in aging animals. It also creates
more leukocytes (white blood cells) which boosts immunity.

5. Dietary Ingredient For Broiler Finisher & Layer Diet
When the dried peels of pawpaw are added at 120g/kg of Finisher Mash as exposed by Kamaruzzaman et al (2005) & 90g/kg of Layer Mash as first exposed by Fouzder SK et al (1999), it allows feed consumption, feed conversion efficiency, survivability and meat yield. The Pawpaw Leaf is another vital dietary ingredient for poultry diet. Pawpaw leaf meal contains four identified proteolytic enzymes (Papain, Chymopapain A and B and Papaya Peptidase).

Pawpaw Tree as an Ethnoveterinary AssetWith the recent issue of antibiotic resistance and residues in poultry birds & products as well as the damaging effects in human consumers, it has become pertinent to visit Mother Nature’s workshop for efficacious but non-toxic options without antibiotic residues or resistance. One of Mother Nature’s answers is found in the pawpaw plant.

(a) Pawpaw Seeds as Antihelmintic (Dewormer): The air-dried pawpaw black seeds have deworming properties because it also has carpaine (an bitter alkaloid), carpasemine (or benzyl thiourea) and benzylisothiocynate). This is a cheap, harmless and very effective way of preventing and treating intestinal worms in poultry. Benzyl isothiocynate contained in the seeds is a very strong dewormer and renders the GIT very harsh to worms so that they cannot inhabit or multiply.

(b) Pawpaw Seeds as Antimicrobial (Antibiotic): The extracts of ripe or unripe Pawpaw seeds and pulp slow and neutralize the microbial activities of E.coli, Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella typhi, Staphyloccocus aureus, Klebsiella pneumonia, etc.

(c) Pawpaw leaves & roots have antibacterial efficacy against Salmonella typhi and Salmonella paratyphi .

(d) The Latex from the Stem, or from punctured pawpaw fruits and leaves is also a very good dewormer . The latex is dried before being used for this purpose. It is very effective in treating Ascaris nematodes in pigs, poultry and other mammals.

(e) The Dried Latex has Antifungal properties especially when used to treat Candida Albicans, which causes Sour Crop, Candidiasis & Thrush in poultry. Antibiotics cannot kill fungi, it is even a known fact that an abuse of antibiotics and poorly fermented feed cause serious fungal infections.

(f) The edible pulp of Pawpaw has curative impact (due to Vitamin A) and antimicrobial impact on healing of wounds and ulcers especially necrotic enteritis in the intestines of birds due to the presence of proteolytic enzymes like Papain and Chymopapain.

(g) Pawpaw is anti-inflammatory due to Vitamin A, that’s why it is used in prevention and treatment of coccidiosis and necrotic enteritis. The Vitamin A facilitates the healing of the damaged intestines and stops diarrhea (bloody or mucus). It also has Fibrin which helps in blood clotting; a very necessary action in treating coccidiosis.

(h) Pawpaw is also known to regulate the immune system, fight free radicals that cause diseases and oxidative stress in broilers and layers. The Ripe fruit can be fermented with yeast, lactic acid bacteria and seaweed to create a very potent antioxidant & probiotic.

(i) Pawpaw is hepatoprotective (protects the liver), removes toxins from the liver and reduces cholesterol in broilers. It ensures the birds have less fatty meat but increases meat yield.

(j) Latex from unripe Pawpaw fruits is larvacidal. It kills mosquito larvae and can be used to control mosquito reproductive populations near the poultry pen; this counters the spread of Fowl Pox, since mosquitoes are the main vectors of it.

(k) Since Pawpaw has 33% more vitamin C and 50% more potassium than oranges, as well as 13% more Vitamin C & more than twice Potassium than apples, it serves as a good anti-stress medication in poultry.

https://stonebridgefarms.com.ng/2018/03/17/importance-of-pawpaw-in-poultry-farming/

2 Likes

Re: ... by potosky: 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

From which hatchery?
Will likely raise Zartech or Agrited in my surgeon using only organic means after the first week. More of can it be done with one herb outside probotics? Though drugs will be on standby.

I will be using KBC10, Maize and Soyabean meal for first 2 weeks and the rest will be full fat soyabeans. Pawpaw will be used as a probotics, digester, and anticocci using the leafs, seeds and fruits possibly.
zartech cockerel and cascade broiler I got them from Turks. As for the organic I dey your bk I still b newbie grin
Re: ... by ezkimow(m): 10:35pm On Nov 24, 2018
Please@oga Emma and other experienced farmers in the house,if my birds take Admacine+Vitamins today, can I give Gumboro vaccine the following day, or is it only Vitamins Medicated water that is allowed a day before vaccination? Urgent reply needed, my birds are 6 days today ,I'm thinking of giving Gumboro on day 8 or9instead of day 7,except if the Admacine + vitamins will not pose threat
Re: ... by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 24, 2018
ezkimow:
Please@oga Emma and other experienced farmers in the house,if my birds take Admacine+Vitamins today, can I give Gumboro vaccine the following day, or is it only Vitamins Medicated water that is allowed a day before vaccination? Urgent reply needed, my birds are 6 days today ,I'm thinking of giving Gumboro on day 8 or9instead of day 7,except if the Admacine + vitamins will not pose threat
Give a day between admacine and vaccine. Give only plain water

1 Like

Re: ... by shehufaruq: 11:06pm On Nov 24, 2018
@emmaachile I am having issue with my day4 broilers and i don't think the vet stores will open tomorrow. I experience caught amongst the flock what do I do?
Re: ... by shehufaruq: 11:07pm On Nov 24, 2018
Cough*
Re: ... by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 24, 2018
shehufaruq:
Cough*
Is your house ventilated at all? Too early for cough and what do you feed them with?
Most people brood without ventilation and its totally wrong.

Only solution outside drugs is honey and ginger in water to birds if you have or only ginger will do.
Re: ... by shehufaruq: 11:51pm On Nov 24, 2018
Honestly there is not ventilation as the cold weather around here frightens me � I feed them with chikun super stater
Re: ... by shehufaruq: 11:54pm On Nov 24, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Is your house ventilated at all? Too early for cough and what do you feed them with?
Most people brood without ventilation and its totally wrong.

Only solution outside drugs is honey and ginger in water to birds if you have or only ginger[color=#000000][/color] will do.

Should I grand the ginger or just drop it like that in their drinker?
Re: ... by Nobody: 12:40am On Nov 25, 2018
shehufaruq:

Should I grand the ginger or just drop it like that in their drinker?
nawa for you. How can you drop it straight like that? Crush or grind it

1 Like

Re: ... by shehufaruq: 6:07am On Nov 25, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

nawa for you. How can you drop it straight like that? Crush or grind it

Alright lots of appreciation
Re: ... by potosky: 6:12am On Nov 25, 2018
Went out yesterday only to come to one's neck turning like antenna. I gave it pawpaw leaf. after taking pawpaw leaf. Oga Emma weitin I go give again?

Re: ... by potosky: 6:32am On Nov 25, 2018
The others

Re: ... by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 25, 2018
potosky:
Went out yesterday only to come to one's neck turning like antenna. I gave it pawpaw leaf. after taking pawpaw leaf. Oga Emma weitin I go give again?
I don't think pawpaw will work here. Most times turning of neck at the age is generic or lack of vitamin B. Best bet is to serve enough vitamins in water for it.
Its could be a disease called wry neck disease
Re: ... by potosky: 7:42am On Nov 25, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

I don't think pawpaw will work here. Most times turning of neck at the age is generic or lack of vitamin B. Best bet is to serve enough vitamins in water for it.
Its could be a disease called wry neck disease
have been giving this v. Extra for antenna neck's water

Re: ... by ezkimow(m): 12:38pm On Nov 25, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Give a day between admacine and vaccine. Give only plain water

OK, thanks, that means I go give them Gumboro vaccine on Tuesday be that, which is day 9, will withdraw Admacine + Vitamins later today.

7 days old today, so far so good !!!
Head count = 56
Chikun chicks X Chikun super starter!

Re: ... by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2018
ezkimow:

OK, thanks, that means I go give them Gumboro vaccine on Tuesday be that, which is day 9, will withdraw Admacine + Vitamins later today.

7 days old today, so far so good !!!
Head count = 56
Chikun chicks X Chikun super starter!
Are the chicks from chikun?
Re: ... by ezkimow(m): 5:29pm On Nov 25, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Are the chicks from chikun?

From Olam farms, brand named Chikun, just like the feed
Re: ... by ezkimow(m): 5:34pm On Nov 25, 2018
ezkimow:

From Olam farms, brand named Chikun, just like the feed

1 Like

Re: ... by wykcool(m): 11:25pm On Nov 25, 2018
Oga EMMAACHILE and other experts in the house, please come to my aid.

I have just discovered small buds on the comb of some of my birds (broilers). They will be 10weeks old this week, and I am keeping them for Christmas market.
I suspect fowlpox. Please how can manage this?
Picture attached below

Re: ... by mdautos: 11:28pm On Nov 25, 2018
Acres of land suitable 4 farmland 4 sale at 50k per acre in oyo state Ogbomosho, Igbeti road. documents-Original receipt and lawyer agreement signed by the family chief and the king, its free frm all kind of issues and suitable for cashew plantation, maize,cassava etc 07069727219
Re: ... by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 25, 2018
wykcool:
Oga EMMAACHILE and other experts in the house, please come to my aid.

I have just discovered small buds on the comb of some of my birds (broilers). They will be 10weeks old this week, and I am keeping them for Christmas market.
I suspect fowlpox. Please how can manage this?
Picture attached below

Look for any pox drugs or go herbal; 3 spoonful palm oil in water or rub affected comb or give bitterleaf in water or rub affected comb
Re: ... by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 25, 2018
If you want to formulate your broiler feed, make sure you follow the right formula. I have seen lots of funny feed formulations on nairaland here and some are even with some pay!

Two major ways to formulate feed; Use concentrate or mix everything yourself. Go for which ever one is cheaper or best for you. Never compromise on any ingredient.

My next broiler experiment will be using pawpaw leaf/fruit/seeds specifically with formulated feed and see how it performs as regards fcr and bw gain.

I am trying to target 200kg of meat from 50 broilers and the duration it will take to achieve it. If i can see a probotics, fine and if not i will use only the pawpaw as the joker (digester, dewormer, anticocci).
Re: ... by Nobody: 11:54pm On Nov 25, 2018
Expected Drug/vaccination schedule
Day 1 - Amintotal; Pawpaw leaves in water in the evening (To deworm from day 1 and shed any internal parasite)
Day 2-5 - Amintotal + Antiviral as a broad spectrum antibiotic, anticocci, antiviral (To clean the birds from any hatchery disease)
Day 9 - Lasota
Day 14 - Gumboro
Day 15-17 - Pawpaw seeds/fruits
Day 29-31 - Pawpaw seeds/fruits
Day 43-45 - Pawpaw seeds/fruits

Drugs will be standby just in case of any challenge.

Average Target weights= 4-4.9kg under 9 weeks, 1.6kg in 4 weeks
Target fcr=1.7 or less
Target feed=6.8kg maximum per broiler or 340kg feed (13.6 bags 25kg)

looking at where to buy a digital scale to use for accurate weight sizes.

1 Like

Re: ... by wykcool(m): 1:25am On Nov 26, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Look for any pox drugs or go herbal; 3 spoonful palm oil in water or rub affected comb or give bitterleaf in water or rub affected comb
Thank you so much! God bless you
Re: ... by ezkimow(m): 6:00am On Nov 26, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Day 1 - Amintotal; Pawpaw leaves in water in the evening (To deworm from day 1 and shed any internal parasite)
Day 2-5 - Amintotal + Antiviral as a broad spectrum antibiotic, anticocci, antiviral (To clean the birds from any hatchery disease)
Day 9 - Lasota
Day 14 - Gumboro

Target fcr=1.7 or less

Nice project, wishing u all the best, your results will be very helpful in the forum, maybe we might all just go organic.
I've also read that Aloe Vera extract is also highly beneficial.
For the digital scale, try ordering online if u can't get from a market near u, I'm expecting mine today, ordered from konga last Tuesday @1700+1200 shipping fee, capacity 1g - 10000g.
Re: ... by shehufaruq: 7:32am On Nov 26, 2018
@emmaachila sir today my chicks will be 6 days old and i am still treating the cough from which you advice me to use ginger how will the administration of vaccine for tomorrow day 7 be like? Please your i advice is highly appreciated as always... smiley
Re: ... by potosky: 8:31am On Nov 26, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Day 9 - Lasota
Day 14 - Gumboro

Target fcr=1.7 or less

got my birds last week Friday so I decided to withdraw news paper to use only rice husk today and they are putting it in there water. What do I do now oga Emma?
Re: ... by shehufaruq: 11:30am On Nov 26, 2018
orpeeh:
Pls what's the organic solution of bloody feaces, is it a sign of Newcastle or coccidiosis?cc oga emmachile, oga turks
Re: ... by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2018
shehufaruq:
@emmaachila sir today my chicks will be 6 days old and i am still treating the cough from which you advice me to use ginger how will the administration of vaccine for tomorrow day 7 be like? Please your i advice is highly appreciated as always... smiley
Give a day in between treatments

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (104) (Reply)

Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.