Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

The Worst Site Of 2009? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Worst Site Of 2009? (1984 Views)

Get A Hyip Site Of Your Own Gold Coder Script For Sale / First Quiz Of 2009 / My First Post Of 2009 - A Frameset Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 4:20am On Dec 28, 2009
I am thinking it is.

www.toolspushers.com - what do you guys think?

The footer says the company is in port harcourt.  Dual/any other Port harcourt residents - any way you can get them to do a redesign?  cool

By the way, whois pulls up an Ibadan address.  Perhaps someone needs to be visited and perhaps needs a glass or two of conquer mixture  tongue
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 4:43am On Dec 28, 2009
But how u take dey get these sites?

Looking at it and I am not keen on contacting them. Port Harcourt has too many Five Thousand Naira (FTN) web designers and these clients will prolly be thinking another FTN designer will do it better this time.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 4:47am On Dec 28, 2009
I think what's even there is an attempted update or a revamp of what was there before. See this. . .

Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by Afam(m): 8:13am On Dec 28, 2009
Put differently, what we are seeing now is an improved version of the old website.

It seems some website owners don't realize that they can lose clients just by the way their websites look especially for first time visitors. If a business cannot handle a basic task of setting up a decent website how can I trust them with my money for any service or product they claim to offer?
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 9:05am On Dec 28, 2009
They'll just rearrange your money tongue
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 11:20am On Dec 28, 2009
he he, Afam. True talk. I once purposely voted against someone in an election because their website was so crappy.

Dual:
I am a member of another forum (email-based). One member (owner of tools pushers), forgetting that he did a "reply all", writes to another reminding him that they still await his quotation so that they will know what to supply. Being the busy body that i am, i noticed the url to his website, in part because it was bolded and said to myself, "hmm, this might be an opportunity to make some dough". Why? Because my gut told me the site would suck. However, I didn't expect it to be that bad.

I don't use IE so I assume it might look a bit better. If you check it out in FF and are squeamish, just grab a puke bag while you're at it as you will feel like doing one thing - puke.

May 2010 bring about only the cream in our business o - Amen!
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2009
This 2010 eh, we need to sit the clients down and let them know they have boundaries. They are the boss over their respective companies but not over the web standards and technologies we use.

I dunno how this happened but we just made this profession a hungry-man thing. angry

I'm begining to blame W3C for making HTML soo easy tongue (On the other hand i dey God for W3C. web dev is just more fun than stand alone app dev)
Who will dare to put a banner saying "software design for 5k"?
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 4:37pm On Dec 28, 2009
We have done it to ourselves. take for instance this bufoon caught on a plane over the weekend. If we don't jump out to issue press releases and do press conferences (where is yar'adua when you need him? tongue), there will always be some who will conclude that all Nigerians are like that guy.

Shifting gears to web dev, if we don't speak up about charging cheap sums (how you define "cheap" is up to you), granted in the name of capitalism, I won't fault them as it is up to the competition to come up with reasons to let the clients know otherwise, clients will assume that that is the going rate. Worse still, as word of mouth goes around and around, the 5K becomes the norm.

Hopefully, rather than thinking of how to build the next facebook/google, if the 2010 web conference as advertised does happen, an issue like this will be one of the main topics for discussion.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2009
One matter that should be addressed is creating the awareness nationwide using the mass media, to let pipz know that these rediculously priced jobs will always result in sub standard stuff. E no go even bad if examples of 5k sites are shown on tv. By the time that man sees toolpusher dot com on tv for this reason he'll do the right thing.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by Afam(m): 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2009
I will add "N5k websites cannot do your business any good - ask around if in doubt" to the list of quick facts on my website at www.justwebservices.com
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by bandely(m): 7:13pm On Dec 30, 2009
Dual Core:

One matter that should be addressed is creating the awareness nationwide using the mass media, to let pipz know that these rediculously priced jobs will always result in sub standard stuff. E no go even bad if examples of 5k sites are shown on tv. By the time that man sees toolpusher dot com on tv for this reason he'll do the right thing.

shocked shocked
grin grin grin grin
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by Nobody: 2:40am On Jan 07, 2010
Really bad work by an amateur, All the styling na inline, No links works, It sucks,

But true true Yawa, how u dey look up all this dumb sites?
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 10:58am On Jan 07, 2010
d don, he he, one of my favorite past times is to either google things at random, or as I am driving around, copy down URLs of companies inscribed on billboards or vehicles for future viewing (for the purpose of seeing if there is anything I can "borrow" from them or to contact them later in hopes that they will hire me to redesign their sites) tongue
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by 212blaze(m): 12:29pm On Jan 07, 2010
Talking of bad sites,has anyone checkd out www.abimco.com
its got it all,bad domain and bad site,and they expect people to host with them
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 3:05pm On Jan 07, 2010
he he, 212, u sabi look for trouble o tongue

My experience has been that if you go by web host/developer sites, you probably wouldn't patronize half of them, and that includes foreign-based ones. This is why I prefer doing my things via referrals.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by nenyemacoy: 1:01pm On Jan 12, 2010
hi yawatide, am very new here but i like the way u reason so why not contact me cos i need ur help to redesign my website thnks. nenyemacoy@yahoo.com
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 4:46pm On Jan 12, 2010
sure.

YIM/email at yawatide (it's a yahoo account. Note the lack of dashes).

I look forward to chatting with you and doing business with you as well smiley
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by IceTech1: 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2010
@ yawa, Afam and dual Core, Honestly speaking i respect you guys and i call u guys the webmasters.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 7:23pm On Jan 12, 2010
Thanks for the compliment. I try my best. The more I hear this, the more something says I should set up a school to rival aptech and niit combined tongue
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 7:51pm On Jan 12, 2010
Something is not right somewhere in my head.
Yawa I read this
yawa-ti-de:

Thanks for the compliment.

as "Thanks for the complaint".

Today just hasnt been my day.

Ice-Tech:

@ yawa, Afam and dual Core, Honestly speaking i respect you guys and i call u guys the webmasters.
Thanks brotha smiley
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 8:37pm On Jan 12, 2010
he he dual, I guess you are running on single core today LOL
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 13, 2010
@Yawa, So you have that time, for such,

@Dual Hello Bros, thanks for all your help for my site ohhhh, Just a lazy dude and most of all i somehow hate php,
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 8:05am On Jan 13, 2010
Donpuzo:

@Yawa, So you have that time, for such,

@Dual Hello Bros, thanks for all your help for my site ohhhh, Just a lazy dude and most of all i somehow hate php,
You're welcome. Hopefully, I'll mail you with what you requested today.

yawa-ti-de:

he he dual, I guess you are running on single core today LOL
Most def!
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by IceTech1: 5:55pm On Jan 14, 2010
please can someone send me an ebook on PHP and testing with wamp server 2.0

Secondly my company gives me work(a website to design) and our director goes 2 power point n design some crap and says she wants the site like that, should i reject the job?but i give it d way she wants it,she calls me a genuis which i tink am not.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by IceTech1: 5:58pm On Jan 14, 2010
my email address if u want to snd the ebook ok_charlespaul@yahoo.com

plz i really need it
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by 212blaze(m): 9:17pm On Jan 14, 2010
go to w3schools.com and there you'll get what you need free
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by feelme3(m): 2:20am On Jan 15, 2010
grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin
Una no go kill me here O!. Looking at those site(soresights) I am embolden to put up my url for scrutiny from web masters.

this is my first design (dual, you actually helped me with my navigation code) and I feel i didn't do badly.

Abeg, my masters in designs, am open and eager to learn so make una tell me areas wey i commit coding crimes. cry

Yawa and dual, God of naira will bless you guys for your patience with wahala heads like me.

Here's the URL: http://www.c-edgemedia.com/index.html
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by yawatide(f): 11:20am On Jan 15, 2010
feel_me, I feel you well well wink

It is actually a good layout. The only thing, looking at it from 30,000 feet I would say is you should learn to:
1) Indent your code, for readability and maintainability

2) Move your page-level css and js to external files

3) specify heights and widths on your images (when you leave it to browsers, it could slow them down, if you have a lot)

4) avoid using double or triple (or whatever) BR tags. There is a reason we have padding and margin

5) Use external calls to javascript libraries (as in reference the ones hosted by google) - it reduces page weight.
5a) If you are using jquery, no need adding flash. Just use one of the many jquery animations

6) Reduce the time for your fading photos, to avoid/reduce distractions.

Other than that, looks good bro.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by 212blaze(m): 12:42pm On Jan 15, 2010
Mehn yawa you too much o!! and feel me i dey feel your site.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by feelme3(m): 9:22pm On Jan 15, 2010
@Yawa,
Thanks ur comments/advice. I'd def try to brush up more on it. smiley Guess its gonna take a while to get to ur level.
1) Indenting, I guess for now I rely too much on DW

2) I actually thought it works the page faster. embarassed Will take correction.

3) Should size specs be on the html or css ?

4) Ok. Pro'ly carried away with trying out all the tags grin

5)Now I really cudnt get to making a jquery animation(actually copied a sample fron net but then I cudnt make it work on my page) cryGuess I need help on that.

6)Ok. My client (dat sounds sweet) actually wanted longer. smiley

And, on the pages, I cudnt get the buttons to be highlighted when selected. How can i do that? code attached hereunder.

@212, keep blazing, the compliment makes me feel privileged drinking from the same table with u guys. cool

Is dual on AWOL like some presido we know??

p {
  line-height: 1.5em;
}

ul#menu, ul#menu ul {
  list-style-type:none;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
  width: 10em;
}

ul#menu a {
  display: block;
  text-decoration: none;
}

ul#menu li {
  margin-top: 1px;
}

ul#menu li a {
  background: #000;
  color: #fff;
  padding-left: 2em;
  padding: 0.7em;
}

ul#menu li a:hover {
  background: #000;
}

ul#menu li ul li a {
  background: #ccc;
  color: #000;
  padding-left: 20px;
}

ul#menu li ul li a:hover {
  background: #666;
  font-weight: bold;
  border-left: 5px #f00 solid;
  padding-left: 15px;
}

.code { border: 1px solid #ccc; list-style-type: decimal-leading-zero; padding: 5px; margin: 0; }
.code code { display: block; padding: 3px; margin-bottom: 0; }
.code li { background: #ddd; border: 1px solid #ccc; margin: 0 0 2px 2.2em; }
.indent1 { padding-left: 1em; }
.indent2 { padding-left: 2em; }

<ul id="menu">
<li>
<a href="#">Partneship</a>
<ul>
<li><a href="partners.html">Content Develpoers</a></li>
<li><a href="agents.html">Creative Agencies</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 9:27pm On Jan 15, 2010
Feel me i dey o. I dey feel the site wink
The spam bot no gree you. I just sent seun a message about your post. hopefully it will get cleared.
Re: The Worst Site Of 2009? by DualCore1: 9:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
for the stuff about highlighting when selected, try this

li.selected a{
  background: #999;
  padding-left: 2em;   
  padding: 0.7em;
}

you can choose what the highlighting color should be by playing around with the "background" attribute.

on your html, for each page at something like <li class="selected"> to the <li> tag you want selected.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Ironic Personality Of Facebook Ceo Mark Zuckerberg / 5 Must Have Wordpress Plugins To Boost Your Blog's Traffic / Does Nairaland Pay Moderators? I need your answers please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.