Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,820 members, 7,956,087 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:29 AM

The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. (770 Views)

Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences? / Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes / Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by sureteeboy(m): 11:55am On Apr 05, 2017
Do “Country” and “Nation” Mean the Same Thing?
There are a few major differences between the terms “country” and “nation”. The use of the word “nation” that is mixed up often with “country” uses the unifying qualities of an official countrywide language and culture rather than ethnicity. Today, due to rapid Globalization and multiple generations of immigration, many countries are starting to blend the concepts of nation and country as well. For instance, while a man’s great grandparents may be Guatemalan, he may consider himself British after multiple generations of nationalization.
So What is a Nation?
A nation is officially observed as a group of people who share the same cultural identity. They share the same language, culture and lineages. Kurdish people consider themselves a nation of Kurdistan, though Kurdistan is not officially recognized by either its neighbors, or Western countries. Establishing a national identity often helps people living in the same country feel united. A multitude of border and religious disputes in the Middle East, some believe, have to do with the creation of official country lines, such as the Sykes-Picot agreement, that cross originally ‘unofficial but understood’ border lines. Nationality can also be found to be used as a legal definition to describe the relationship between a person and state, such as where you are legally allowed to reside. In this case, nationality is “a term of municipal law, defined by municipal law”. Your legal nationality could be anywhere you are allowed to reside. In certain countries, if you live within a country for a specific amount of time you could become a citizen (therefore having political rights) through nationalization.

Then What is a Country?

Country, conversely, is synonymous with ‘State’ as it applies to self-governing political identities. Nigeria, as an example is a country, with each state all abiding by the same laws of the same government. Countries tend to be diverse and a conglomerate of multiple nationalities, such as American’s considering themselves “Latin American” in order to celebrate their diversity while also creating a separate,but equally as powerful, national allegiance to the United States. A State and a country are generally used to mean the same thing.
In simple words, A country is a geographical grouping of people united under a common government while a nation is a group of people united by a single culture and set of traditions. It is possible for multiple nations to exist within a country.
http://www.differencebetween.net/language/words-language/difference-between-nation-and-country/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by seunlayi(m): 11:58am On Apr 05, 2017
thumbs up for you, OP

2 Likes

Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 05, 2017
This is actually quite informative. It's rare to see things like this on NL...

Kudos, OP.
Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by Afriifa(m): 12:09pm On Apr 05, 2017
Op you too much joor. Do you know I usually use those two words interchangeably as if they were synonyms

1 Like

Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by ikp120(m): 12:26pm On Apr 05, 2017
Meaning we can objectively conclude that there's a nation called BIAFRA in Nigeria, and another called ODUDUWA republic.
Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by sureteeboy(m): 4:57pm On Apr 05, 2017
ikp120:
Meaning we can objectively conclude that there's a nation called BIAFRA in Nigeria, and another called ODUDUWA republic.
lol. Na everything una go "BIAFRALIZE".
Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by jide219(m): 5:06pm On Apr 05, 2017
That's why is good to study political scienc
Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by sureteeboy(m): 5:08pm On Apr 05, 2017
cc lalasticlala mynd44
Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by ikp120(m): 6:43pm On Apr 05, 2017
sureteeboy:
lol. Na everything una go "BIAFRALIZE".
I don't know what you're talking about sha. I just reached a conclusion based on what OP said. By the way, no be only Biafra you see for there. Oduduwa Republic dey there too.

PS: I'm not into that Biafra shiit
Re: The Differences Between Nation And Country Explained. by sureteeboy(m): 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2017
ikp120:

I don't know what you're talking about sha. I just reached a conclusion based on what OP said. By the way, no be only Biafra you see for there. Oduduwa Republic dey there too.

PS: I'm not into that Biafra shiit
Yeah. I figured that out. I'm just kidding by the way.

(1) (Reply)

Is NOUN PGD Certificate Acceptable By All Nigeria Universities? / Visualising Simple And Compound Interests: / Laspotech Form Ongoing Despite Strike, Forms May Close Before Strike Ends..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.