Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,916 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/17 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/17 (1080 Views)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/19 / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/18 / OPEN HEAVEN Devotional(thut. 06/04/2017) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/17 by dallyemmy: 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2017
OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL...

DATE: THURSDAY 6TH APRIL 2017

THEME: THE POOR IN SPIRIT

Memorise:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3

Read: Luke 18:9-14

18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his housejustifled rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humble the himself shall be exalted.

Some people believe that the poor are automatic candidates for making heaven; hence they see them as being blessed. Nothing could be further from the truth. This error is derived from a wrong interpretation of the scripture in today's memory verse. No matter how poor you are, if you are not reconciled with your Maker, the Kingdom of heaven is a mere illusion for you. Whereas, you may be as rich as Father Abraham himself was, and when you die, you will still make heaven. Revelation 19:5 says,
"And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great."

Irrespective of whether you are rich or poor, once you meet the condition for admission into the Kingdom of God, you will be granted access. What is this condition? Revelations 21:27 gives us insight into this:
"And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that deflleth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life."

The question then is this: What type of "poor" was Jesus referring to in Matthew 5:3? It is the poor in spirit, and not the poor in wealth or riches. Who then are the poor in spirit? They are those who realise their spiritual insufficiency as touching the requirements of God with regards to righteousness, and they have a thirst in their spirit to overcome this inadequacy. This thirst will metamorphose into a search for God and for His mercy. The Almighty God is always waiting to receive such people, and He leads them on the path of righteousness through His Son, Jesus Christ. Like the publican in today's Bible reading, the poor in spirit have no righteousness of their own, and hence, they
cry for the mercy of God. The "rich in spirit" on the other hand will never cry for God's mercy; they will always rely on their own righteousness. Of such is the Pharisee in our Bible text. Concerning the poor in spirit (the publican), Jesus Christ said "this man went down to his house justifled rather the other the other." Therefore, for anyone to enter into the Kingdom of heaven, such a fellow must
flrst humble himself or herself at the Cross of Jesus Christ, confess his or her sins, forsake them with a promise never to return to them again, and then ask for grace to live a life that is pleasing to God Almighty (1 John 1:9).

Prayer Point:

Father, l humble myself before Your throne of grace today; please forgive my spiritual pride and take me to Your side by Your mercy. At the end of my life, let me reign with you.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Leviticus 13
Jeremiah 8:4-17

AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE

HYMN 6: DEEPER, DEEPER

Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.

Refrain:
O deeper yet, I pray,
And higher every day,
And wiser, blessed Lord,
ln Thy precious, holy Word.

Deeper, deeper, blessed Holy Spirit,
Take me deeper still,
Till my life is wholly lost in Jesus,
And His perfect will.

[Refrain]

Deeper, deeper! though it cost hard trials,
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow.

[Refrain]

Deeper, higher, every day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu'ror, and in His own image
Perfected at last.

[Refrain]

Deeper, deeper in the faith of Jesus,
Holy faith and true;
ln His pow'r and soul exulting wisdom
Let me peace pursue.

[Refrain]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/17 by dan6019(m): 7:13pm On Apr 05, 2017
Well done my Brother, God will continue to reward your labour of love IJN.

The one here is for today, 5/4/17 and not for 6/4/17.

Thanks as you help post tommorrow's.

1 Like

Re: Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/17 by femoint007(m): 5:54am On Apr 06, 2017
Prayer Points on Today's Open Heavens, ( Thursday, April 6th, 2017) - THE POOR IN SPIRIT
1.Thank you, Father, for your mercies that endureth forever, over my life and destiny.
2.Thank you, Father, because, it is by your mercy, that l have not been consumed.
3.Father, in anyway, l have fallen short of your glory, have mercy and forgive me.
4.Father, l humble myself before Your throne of grace today; please forgive my spiritual pride and draw me nearer unto you, by Your mercy, in Jesus' name.
5.Father, please, cleanse me from all defilement and unrighteousness, in Jesus' name.
6.Father, remove from my life, every garment of self righteousness and wear upon me your own righteousness, in Jesus' name.
7.Father, let every spirit of self praise and exaltation, in my life be destroyed by your fire, in Jesus' name.
8.Father, please, give me a humble and a contrite heart, in Jesus' name.
9.Father, give me a heart that is willing and eager to do your Will and, please you, in all things.
10.Father, write my name, in the book of life, and let me reign with you, in your kingdom, in the hereafter.
11.Father, put your fear in my heart, and uphold me till the end, by your right hand of
righteousness.
12.Your Personal Petitions.
(Philippians 4:6)
13.In Jesus' name I pray.
(John 15:16)
14.Thank you Father for answered prayers.
(1 Thessalonians 5:18).
#GodBlessOurNation

2 Likes

Re: Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/04/17 by RALPHOW(m): 8:45am On Apr 06, 2017
God bless you brother, today message not only bless me but I learnt one good lesson from the pharise
LukeRead: Luke 18:12

18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

he said I give tithe of all that I possess, this is a proof that tithe is not of food only as claimed from certain quarters.

(1) (Reply)

Bishop T.D Jakes Arrives Lagos, Nigeria / Monk Discovered Smiling Three Months After Death + Photos / The Covenant Of Fruitfulness – Bishop David Abioye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.