Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,147 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State (15674 Views)

A Refutation Benin Origin Hypothesis Of Most Anioma People / Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman / Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by pazienza(m): 12:54am On Apr 18, 2017
kpaminose:
Name the other Ika town. Ika didn't support Biafra. Igbos and fabrication. I'm not surprised. It's your second nature

LETTER WRITTEN TO THE BIAFRAN GOVERNMENT
BY IKA COMMUNITY LEADERS IN 1967.
“We the undersigned, on behalf of the people of
Umunede clan,Igbodo
clan,Akwumazi clan,Mbiri clan and Ute-Ugbeje
clan in Ika Division,Midwest take
this opportunity to express our deep gratitude on
the historic liberation of the
Midwest and wish you God’s guidance.We equally
take this opportunity to
congratulate His Excellency Major A.O Okonkwo on
his appointment as the
Military Administrator of the Midwest and pledge
our unalloyed support and
loyalty to his government. Although we the above 6
clans in Umunede zone
have already donated sums of money and foodstuff
towards win the war funds
on individual clans,we jointly donate herewith the
sum of 105 pounds to win the
war. WE FERVENTLY PRAY FOR GOD’S HELP
THAT WE CRUSH THE
ENEMY.While thanking you for what you have
already achieved-liberation of
Midwest-we wish to place here on record that it
will be your guide while
deliberating on any future association, our feelings
should be put into utmost
consideration” Signatories to this September 1967
letter to Ojukwu include: HRH
Obi N Gbenoba; Obi of Umunede. HRH A.O Iyeke;
Obi of Igbodo, Obi S.C
Osagie; Obi of Akwumazi, HRH Obi Ogana; Obi of
Mbiri and Regent I
Alekwe,Regent of Mbiri. Also signatory to that
letter are political leaders
including Chief S.O.Osuhor, Chief Z.C Egbuchinem,
Chief L.O.C Azikiwe,Chief
Odiase,Chief E O Nwabueze, Madam Julie
Onyeagwu and Mr B.O Okoh. Source-
Nigeria: Echoes of a Century: Volume One
1914-1999 by Ifeoha Azikiwe."

4 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by kpaminose: 6:41am On Apr 18, 2017
pazienza:

Umunede clan,Igbodo
take this opportunity to
his appointment as the
clans in Umunede zone
THAT WE CRUSH THE
will be your guide while
Obi of Igbodo, Obi S.C
Mbiri and Regent I
Another fabrication. Very funny people. There are many letters busted to be fabrications but you guys still shamelessly keep posting them everywhere

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by pazienza(m): 8:31am On Apr 18, 2017
kpaminose:
Another fabrication. Very funny people. There are many letters busted to be fabrications but you guys still shamelessly keep posting them everywhere

Yes, it is a fabrication. Ostrich, keep hiding your head in the sand.

4 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 4:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
pazienza:

Umunede clan,Igbodo
take this opportunity to
his appointment as the
clans in Umunede zone
THAT WE CRUSH THE
will be your guide while
Obi of Igbodo, Obi S.C
Mbiri and Regent I

This is an eye-opener. What is the source?
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by DrinkWater10: 6:45pm On Apr 18, 2017
Klinee:
Uya is sorrow , so oya can also be uya
please I would like to send you a pm
I need your advice on some thing important.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Klinee: 12:39am On Apr 19, 2017
DrinkWater10:
please I would like to send you a pm I need your advice on some thing important.
ok
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by DrinkWater10: 12:45am On Apr 19, 2017
Klinee:
ok
kindly follow back.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by DrinkWater10: 12:45am On Apr 19, 2017
Klinee:
ok
kindly follow back.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Klinee: 12:54am On Apr 19, 2017
DrinkWater10:
kindly follow back.
give me your email let me contact you.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by pazienza(m): 11:32pm On Apr 19, 2017
bigfrancis21:

This is an eye-opener. What is the source?
This source is written right at the end. Look closer. Someone shared it at Proudly Anioma, Proudly Igbo group.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by invisibeTroll: 8:19am On Apr 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

If you're from the Onitsha axis, they'll tell you that you're Anioma with links to bini

Personally, if i had my way, we should just cut off everyone from Delta and Rivers state. This insults are just too much. We have left more pressing issues to give some insignificant small groups the effrontery to act more important than they are. I've started becoming very wary of any so called Igboid person from Delta or Rivers state.

The original settlers of Onitsha were part of the Umu Ezechima. The Aniocha/Oshimili despite links to Bini over time through war and other influences have no problem identifying with the Igbos. The Ukwuani's can be funny at times but the denial is more among the Ikas.

To me, the entire Anioma can be generally grouped as Igbos or Ibos. The annoying ones, who the Igbos should be wary of are the Ikwerres, their aggressive denial, evident way back in the civil war and their daily denials shows they can not be fully trusted. They speak Igbo, live like Igbos but deny being one. Those from Bonny and Opobo, on the other hand speak Igbo, used as the main language for trade then but still retain their Igbani identity in their names, Chieftaincy title, their House style common among the Ijaws.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by invisibeTroll: 8:28am On Apr 20, 2017
Ngozi123:

Nope. Everyone I know from that region is a proud Igbo person, both within and without my family. Some people may act like that but not all undecided.

Can you imagine me of all people denying my Igbo heritage? shocked No way.

I agree with you, while not all Aniocha might support Biafra (Same among the Igbos across the Niger) most that I know including myself have no problem being called one. The denial sometimes comes from the attitude of the Igbos across the Niger to them, some idiots would refer to them as "Awusa Igbo" same treatment they give those from Ebonyi.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by kpaminose: 9:08am On Apr 20, 2017
invisibeTroll:

The original settlers of Onitsha were part of the Umu Ezechima. The Aniocha/Oshimili despite links to Bini over time through war and other influences have no problem identifying with the Igbos. The Ukwuani's can be funny at times but the denial is more among the Ikas.

To me, the entire Anioma can be generally grouped as Igbos or Ibos. The annoying ones, who the Igbos should be wary of are the Ikwerres, their aggressive denial, evident way back in the civil war and their daily denials shows they can not be fully trusted. They speak Igbo, live like Igbos but deny being one. Those from Bonny and Opobo, on the other hand speak Igbo, used as the main language for trade then but still retain their Igbani identity in their names, Chieftaincy title, their House style common among the Ijaws.
Do you know that Ika still retain our Edo, names, chieftaincy titles and Edo style of building and town planning? What does this tell you? Though we Ikas are not claiming to be Edo we want to be Ika.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by DrinkWater10: 11:59pm On Apr 20, 2017
Klinee:
give me your email let me contact you.
Drinkw10@gmail.com
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by AlphaSoul: 8:48am On Feb 11, 2021
fratermathy:
The Anioma people are a conurbation of various ethnicities in Northern Delta State who came together under the Anioma umbrella. Anioma is an acronym for Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika, and Oshimili (ANIO). The "Ma" is used a common suffix used in all the languages. Through this process of acronymy, a word "Anioma" was derived by Dennis Osadebay of Asaba (former premier of Mid-Western State now comprising Delta and Edo States) to mean "good land"!

The various ethnic groups comprising Anioma all have Benin and Igbo heritage and their cultural hybridity makes them distinct and unique. The languages spoken in Aniomaland are Igboid save for Enuani (Asaba/Ogwashi-Uku and environs) which is considered to be a pure Igbo dialect. However, culturally, the Anioma people have a lot of similarities with the Edoid groups such as Urhobo-Isoko, Bini, Esan, etc. Some of these similarities manifest strongly in the Ukwuani and Ika ethnic groups.

I came across a writup on the naming system of the Anioma people on Facebook (Proudly Anioma page) and I decided to share it here so that everyone can be educated on Anioma onomastics. See it below:

So what do you think? Are you an Anioma person? Add more names and their roots! smiley

Anioma kwenu!
Anioma wadoo!

Let us appreciate the Anioma culture!! Say no to tribalism!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mayans' 2012 Prediction / The Fundamentals Of Odinani / Arrival Of A New Baby Amongst Ndigbo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.