Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates (16054 Views)

Is This Why Tecno Phones Are Crap. / This is Why Tecno, Infinix Will Never Try Selling Its Models In US Or Europe! / List Of China Phones With Ota Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by NaijaTechGuy(m): 4:19am On Apr 06, 2017
While Europe, Asia and America receive updates to their devices, Africa is often left in the dark by the so called popular OEMs. Android 7.0 seems like a fantasy until users of their devices either risk ruining their warranty by installing a custom rom or get a new device.
I don't see any reason why there should even be a software update option if the device won't ever be updated. It now seems the software update option is slowly turning to bloatware.

Most Tecno users will definitely agree with me that when it comes to software updates, Tecno is definitely one of the worst. Infinix struggles to churn out updates. iTel is almost nothing to write home about when it comes to OTA updates. I decided to make a little research and here's what I can say about the whole OTA Update issue.

Constant Use of Mediatek Processors In Their Phones

MediaTekā„¢ does not share its kernel source codes for free. OEMs have to buy the source codes at extremely high prices to get the phones upgraded to the next version of Android. If you want frequent upgrades from a company stay away from MTK phones.

Too Many Devices In The Market

Big smartphone companies regulate the period of time their phones will last in the market. You don't see Samsung or HTC releasing almost 15 devices in one year. Even if they have to, they make sure the some of the devices are exclusive to some particular countries.

However when it comes to the Transission Holdings OEM's they launch like ten to fifteen phones in one market in a year thereby leaving no room for any updates.

Here's a case scenario :

Tecno launches a new device in the market. So the team that is responsible for the software concentrates more in clearing out the bugs and tuning it. But again Tecno launches another device, so the team has to concentrate more on their new device.
Whenever Google rolls out an update Tecno has to customise it for their phones but they are obviously too slow and focused on getting more smartphones into the market and getting the bigger share of smartphone sales.

Use Of Customized UI

New Tecno smartphones run on HiOs while Infinix runs on XUI. Tecno phones run on modded Android, to tweak and develop the software and interface takes quite some time, and resources to test and work out the bugs in the codes unlike phones with stock Android which takes less time to get done and updates are available quicker.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by NaijaTechGuy(m): 4:20am On Apr 06, 2017
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by feldido(m): 4:52am On Apr 06, 2017
This is because they don't really have engineers.
They just tell their China companies to make phones for them and brand it with little or no technical support, which anyone can do.

31 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by miqos02(m): 6:11am On Apr 06, 2017
Wehdone
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by iliyande(m): 6:26am On Apr 06, 2017
Wow, very educating. But some foreign mtk devices update regularly. Eg. LeEco and xiaomi

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by directonpc(m): 6:40am On Apr 06, 2017
feldido:
This is because they don't really have engineers.
They just tell their China companies to make phones for them and brand it with little or no technical support, which anyone can do.
this guy reason solid pass all OP reasons

Extra: connect with cool tech lovers and trends on this brand new online community http://7rl.in/phome
You surely won't regret it!

26 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Tallesty1(m): 6:44am On Apr 06, 2017
Your first reason is not 100% true.

I have received OTA updates on MEDIATEK devices.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by veekid(m): 7:07am On Apr 06, 2017
I concur with too many devices in the market
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Capableben(m): 7:07am On Apr 06, 2017
...nice, very educative.

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by ITbomb(m): 7:07am On Apr 06, 2017
Total falsehood.
Go and do your research again.

Gionee is also an MTK powered device
Gionee also has many devices and finally
Gionee also uses a modded Android called Amigo

I just updated my Gionee M5 mini to solve a bug after the last upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow (version 6), the battery display didn't reflect the true status of the battery.
This last update took care of that as you can see in the screenshot

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Mr2kay3: 7:07am On Apr 06, 2017
Infinix is the best at least among them when it comes to updates.

Get your well built sites contact me via my signature.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Fonereporters: 7:08am On Apr 06, 2017
They keep promising
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by wildchild1: 7:09am On Apr 06, 2017
Samsung all the way... #TeamSamsung hit the like button, others just waka pass grin

Check my signature for your football jerseys

13 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Dottore: 7:09am On Apr 06, 2017
Ok
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Soljaboi44(m): 7:10am On Apr 06, 2017
seen
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by fuckboys: 7:10am On Apr 06, 2017
Not true
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Nobody: 7:11am On Apr 06, 2017
Those phones no join. Just pack enough crap to Nigeria. Which other country will likes of tecno and infinix actually sell?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Greene66: 7:11am On Apr 06, 2017
Samsung updates regularly.

Stop using china phones.

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by sorextee(m): 7:11am On Apr 06, 2017
This is why I still love SONY XPERIA.. Though updates dnt really come on time sha, but they still remain my fav, amongst all android smartphones... I envy Samsung ND HTC in rolling out updates.. They no dey waste time...

Op, u didnt add
GIONEE
INJOO
MALATA
FERO
ITEL

Ps:I caught Oga MYND44 reading our comments.. Maybe e go enter fp..

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Oscarpraise(m): 7:13am On Apr 06, 2017
I love my itel S31 like this, no reason to update for now
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Nobody: 7:15am On Apr 06, 2017
Transsion holdings (owners of Tecno, iTel and Infinix) have no intellectual property rights over their products simply because they are just glorified marketers. They do not create, design or invent anything and do not have answers to the needs of their consumers.

What they do is to go to factories in China that mass produce phones and ask them to make X number of phones branded with the Tecno, iTel or infinix logo. These factories produce for Tecno and tecno sells them here in Africa.

Tecno releasees a lot of phones without OS and technical updates cos they have no intellectual input in the research and production of these devices. Unfortunately, these phones are sold to unsuspecting Nigerians at outrageous prices.

Xiaomi, a Chinese brand releases more phones than Tecno yearly and the support is massive. In 2015, Xiaomi sold about 70 million phones, yet the xiaomi products from 3 years ago are still getting updates while those who bought Tecno phones last year haven't gotten anything.

My sympathy goes to unsuspecting Nigerians that keep buying these interior Tecno, Infinix and iTel phones at outrageous prices. The phones are so useless that they don't sell them in India. It's only in Africa that they are sold. If you sell crap like Tecno in China, you may be sentenced to firing squad.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by WINNERMENTALITY: 7:16am On Apr 06, 2017
New Tecno smartphones run on HiOs while Infinix runs on XUI. Tecno phones run on modded Android, to tweak and develop the software and interface takes quite some time, and resources to test and work out the bugs in the codes unlike phones with stock Android which takes less time to get done and updates are available quicker.
(Quote) (
All is correct but this is actually the opposite
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 06, 2017
Noted
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by tmanis(m): 7:21am On Apr 06, 2017
I'm coming
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by bonetalk(m): 7:26am On Apr 06, 2017
i think infinix hot 2 receives update, Nougat is now available for infinix hot 2,
or is there any difference
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Nobody: 7:29am On Apr 06, 2017
MTK Kernel?

it's a processor type, Abeg don't confuse us.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by MrImole: 7:29am On Apr 06, 2017
Hmmm!

How can I update the Operating system of my Nokia E5?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by faruz: 7:39am On Apr 06, 2017
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 06, 2017
Well said.
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by horlahwaley(m): 7:45am On Apr 06, 2017
ITbomb:
Total falsehood.
Go and do your research again.

I just updated my Gionee M5 mini.
After the last upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow (version 6), the battery display didn't reflect the true status of the battery.
This last update took care of that as you can see in the screenshot

Gionee is an MTK powered device
Gionee has many devices and finally
Gionee uses a modded Android called Amigo
.. Pls how did u go about it am facing the same problem with the battery after upgrading to 6.0

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tecno L7 Specification And Price In Nigeria / Facebook Outage Likely Caused By Internal Mistake; outside hack less likely / My Infinix S3X Review: Yes, I Am Not A Fan Of The 'notch'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.