Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them (57500 Views)

Tolulope Arotile: Shehu Sani Calls On FG, States To Immortalise The Late Heroine / Customs Closes Gate To Stop Oyo Govt From Returning 1,800 Bags Of Rice (pics) / Victoria Aguiyi-ironsi Celebrates Her 96th Birthday. Dances To Tekno's Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by Joettti: 8:48am On Apr 06, 2017
kingzizzy:

Thats the thing I will never understand. General TY Danjuma who killed Ironsi and Fajuyi is still walking about a free man and still being praised by the same people who are trying to immortalise the Palm tree where he commited doubble murder

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by guychidile: 8:50am On Apr 06, 2017
both their portraits should be immortalised their,for tourist center.
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by LordOfNaira: 8:52am On Apr 06, 2017
Boleyndynasty2:
it was tY Danjuma that killed em both? We need to bring back History as a compulsory subject in our schools

No one is sure if he was the one that pulled the trigger but he led the soldiers that arrested Ironsi and Fajuyi and eventually killed them.

The bastard called Danjuma who like his fellow Hausa/Northern soldiers felt the first Nigerian coup was an Ibo coup and used their own coup to avenge themselves.

2 Likes

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by gregyboy(m): 8:58am On Apr 06, 2017
can u all imagine i was just yesterday how they both died in a military coupe by my uncle does this mean if he tells me about dangote i will get to meet him one on one pls nairaland explain
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by OBAGADAFFI: 8:59am On Apr 06, 2017
LordOfNaira:

No one is sure if he was the one that pulled the trigger but he led the soldiers that arrested Ironsi and Fajuyi and eventually killed them.

The bastard called Danjuma who like his fellow Hausa/Northern soldiers felt the first Nigerian coup was an Ibo coup and used their own coup to avenge themselves.

It doesn't matter who pulled the trigger.

TY Danjuma gave the orders and the soldiers simply obeyed.

3 Likes

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by ephi123(f): 8:59am On Apr 06, 2017
sarrki:

Revealing the essence of the day, Prince Arulogun pointed out ‘Today marks another milestone in the lubrication of the chord of unity and brotherhood between the western part of the nation and the Eastern side of the country. It is the continuation of the brotherly love exhibited by the late Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi who was the Governor of Western Region to his boss, the then Head of State, General Aguyi Ironsi who was about to be killed while the latter was on an official duty to the region by insisting that, the murderers must kill him alongside his guests.

The Commissioner said “This rare show of love, care and affection which led to Colonel Fajuyi paying supreme price has not only saved the two ethnic nationalities from eternal contempt of distrust and loss of confidence, but has substantially helped to cement the trans – ethnic relationship and confidence building between the two groups”.

He revealed “According to Governor Ajimobi who said that we are duty bound to showcase the spot where gallantry was displayed by Nigerian military officers, where loyalty was showcased at its best and where trust was brazenly extolled not minding paying with their souls. This is the reason why we are here today”.

Prince Arulogun informed “To show that God Almighty sanctioned and approved the planting of a memorial garden here on the plot , we gathered that all attempts at selling the land was never successful . Also , the indelible blood stains and the bullet holes which are visible on the palm tree which stands like a colossus after 50 years are all testimonies of the goodness of today’s event.

Prince Arulogun who commended all the stakeholders for the attendance specially lauded the owners of the plots of land where the army officers were murdered “not only for offering the land to the government with little compensation, but for not insisting on selling the land at all cost”.

The park and garden, prince Arulogun revealed “is an emphasis on peace, unity and oneness of the nation”

Speaking for the community, Chief Oribayo Okeyode commended Governor Ajimobi for his developmental strides and sense of gratitude particularly his decision to immortalise the dead heroes by building a tourism park in their community.

He assured the government and the families of the dead heroes of the protection of visitors and the structures that would be put in place.

After the speeches, Prince Arulogun led the visitors and guests on inspection of the Palm tree which harbours some bullet holes and blood stains of the dead heroes.

What a courageous man.

I hope TY Danjuma plans to live forever angry undecided
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by hardbody: 9:08am On Apr 06, 2017
I have always said that Fajuyi is one Yoruba man i respect even in death. What he did was done, not because he was Yoruba but rather, he was human and had a moral conscience. It is only a man without a conscience that will give out his guest, irrespective of the difference in political divide. Besides, he was a military man and their respect to hierarchy is second to none. There was no how he would, in all seriousness, stand by while his boss, the number one man in Nigeria then could have been taken away and shot.

I pray not to be in his situation but if i found myself there, I would do nothing less than what he did and it won't matter whether it is an Hausa, Yoruba, Efik, or even a white man that i am hosting.

I respect his dead spirit. Then were the days...

Not today that what we spend our time on is IPOB, Brown roof, NCAN, etc etc, no one looks at discussions on its merit. If I say something against PMB, I am a wailer. If i say against GEJ, I am a zombie (I don't even know how it is categorized and I honestly don't give an Eff).

Meanwhile, here I am, not believing in either of them and strongly seeing them as both incompetent and terrible leaders, but I am not allowed to criticize lest i be branded an opposition.

From the dusts, a new Nigeria will arise. Believe.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by permit(m): 9:12am On Apr 06, 2017
is this man through with the work he is called 4? b4 immortalizing the dead, ofenmanu people,are all chameleons
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by farouk0403(m): 9:16am On Apr 06, 2017
LordOfNaira:

No insults we are here to learn,

please can you explain what the first coup was for?

why did Major N kaduna killed only the Northern leaders, and hint Nnamdi Azikwe to bolt away?

thanks

2 Likes

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by morbeta(m): 9:20am On Apr 06, 2017
Ironsi is dead but my manhood lives.....

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by trendymarseey(f): 9:25am On Apr 06, 2017
Na real do and others follow...if only dey can @ least fix d street lights in ibadan nd expand the roads to ease road users off the stress e for better pass.
sarrki:
It is long overdue

Oyo state as shown again that they are pace setters

They do and others follow
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 06, 2017
kingzizzy:

Thats the thing I will never understand. General TY Danjuma who killed Ironsi and Fajuyi is still walking about a free man and still being praised by the same people who are trying to immortalise the Palm tree where he commited doubble murder
Can you imagine that all because of power...may their blood keep crying for justice.
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by jaymichael(m): 9:25am On Apr 06, 2017
Mbediogu:
I am yet to see another soldier / statesman after Fajuyi. If he were alive, that war war would not have been. Immortalise the spot of his death but that will not do. I have since immortalised him in my heart since I read about him. Rest on officer.
Fajuiyi ,fiercely loyal till the end. "Ironside" Aguiyi Ironsi, a very fine soldier to the core. Brave, and competent. It's a pity these fine officers are among others that paid the ultimate sacrifice for the mistake and foolishness of a few misguided majors. Ironsi made some fundamental errors. He shouldn't have taken over. He should have allowed the most senior Northern NCNC politician assume the role of Prime Minister. He should have punished the coup plotters with the appropriate punishment in line with military principles. The counter coup was inevitable. If Ironsi had done all these, whether that would have placated the disgruntled soldiers of Northern extraction and the counter coup averted, we would never know.

1 Like

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by oluwaahmed: 9:36am On Apr 06, 2017
Icon4s:

I almost shed tears when i read the line where Fajuyi said "something like "If u must kill my visitor then kill me along". That is the exact same way all history books have put it. So it could not have been made up.

Do u know that if not for that singular act by Fajuyi the Igbos would have believed he had a hand in Ironri's death?
Fajuyi paid the price of brotherhood between Igbos and Yorubas.

I always feel bad when i see the present generation of Igbo and Yoruba youths calling themselves all sorts of names. It is a big shame. When we should be coming together to fight our common enemies?

TY Danjuma and his brothers killed two of our illustrious sons who were what our youths are not today.

How many Yoruba young men can die for an Igbo young man and vice versa?

Fulani herdsmen are ravaging our communities here down south and all we can do is to insult and mock which ever region was affected.

I am really disappointed in our youths of today. Tribalism was not as much as it is among youths of today. Growing up most of my friends were Yorubas. And Yoruba muslims for that matter. We could do anything for each other.

Honestly, dnt know where we are heading in this country.

Even tho d coup-plotters wer SS/SE, aguiyi had dem all imprisoned. He also learnt dat d country was being divided & d northerners wer cryin 4 blood. he was on a peace tour round d country, wen he intercepted in d SW region & killed in ibadan. Fajuyi upheld ancient yoruba tradition, but also knew dat killin Ironsi was absolutely unnecessary, esp as he was also marked 4 asassinatn & survived only because of his ruggedity. Both men wer true patroits. Despite numerous messages 4rm ojukwu tellin aguiyi ironsi dat his life was in danger, & dat he surrounded himself wit hausa pple, aguiyi ironsi belived in d institute of d military, but must hav regretted his decision. D death of dose 2 men killed d spirit of patriotism in nigeria, & brot indiscipline in d Nig Army. D british also hepled corrupt our system to d point of decadence.
Many SS & SE officers wer killed round d con3. So wen I see south-southerners hatin on igbos I shake my head @ dem cos dey knw nuttin. Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu was 4rm Delta state; his actions resulted in d deths of many, yet his igbo oga did not kill him, cos blood na blood no matter d distance & geographical location.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by Dmes(m): 9:36am On Apr 06, 2017
The National Anthem Arise, O compatriots, Nigeria's call obey To serve our fatherland With love and strength and faith The labor of our heroes past Shall never be in vain To serve with heart and might One nation bound in freedom, peace, and unity. For all those calling dmselves naijaria abeg, make who na learn dis.

1 Like

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by jonnytad(m): 9:36am On Apr 06, 2017
Good stride, but will that provide employment? Ajumobi, na work sure pass o.
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by tosyne2much(m): 9:37am On Apr 06, 2017
Oga oooo
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 06, 2017
JustinSlayer69:
Fajuyi. ..brave Yoruba officer who sacrificed his life for his Igbo guest.

YET, there are m0r0ns screaming afonja like the poster above me (CokersClub) with his microscopic IQ.

SAD angry
Go and die

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by Icon4s(m): 9:51am On Apr 06, 2017
oluwaahmed:

Even tho d coup-plotters wer SS/SE, aguiyi had dem all imprisoned. He also learnt dat d country was being divided & d northerners wer cryin 4 blood. he was on a peace tour round d country, wen he intercepted in d SW region & killed in ibadan. Fajuyi upheld ancient yoruba tradition, but also knew dat killin Ironsi was absolutely unnecessary, esp as he was also marked 4 asassinatn & survived only because of his ruggedity. Both men wer true patroits. Despite numerous messages 4rm ojukwu tellin aguiyi ironsi dat his life was in danger, & dat he surrounded himself wit hausa pple, aguiyi ironsi belived in d institute of d military, but must hav regretted his decision. D death of dose 2 men killed d spirit of patriotism in nigeria, & brot indiscipline in d Nig Army. D british also hepled corrupt our system to d point of decadence.
Many SS & SE officers wer killed round d con3. So wen I see south-southerners hatin on igbos I shake my head @ dem cos dey knw nuttin. Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu was 4rm Delta state; his actions resulted in d deths of many, yet his igbo oga did not kill him, cos blood na blood no matter d distance & geographical location.

You know history bro.

I wanted to point out to u that there was nothing like SS/SE then. It was just Eastern Region. But i later knew where you were going.

Chukwuma Nseogwu was from a part of Igboland that was never and had never been part of the East. He was from the Mid-Western Region which was part of the old western region.

However, state creation was more of a political convenience. Ethnicity was the main thing then unlike now. Today u'll see an Asaba man with full Igbo names saying he is not Igbo he is Delta or South-South. When were Delta and South-South created.

Honestly, there is so much disunity down South and that is why the North will continue to take us for a ride.

I was with a Northern colleague at one of our Oil fields somewhere in Etche land in Rivers state. Discussion led to the other and he told me these people here are not Igbos they are Rivers. I come look at the Hausa man wey dey teach me the Ethnicity of my people.

I jst gave him a little assignment to go as the locals what language they speak and he came back to say "well they said they were Igbo". He then told me he thought there were no Igbos in Rivers state. That is what he probably had been reading.

We need to Forster unity amongst ourselves down South.

1 Like

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by megama: 10:02am On Apr 06, 2017
Boleyndynasty2:
it was tY Danjuma that killed em both? We need to bring back History as a compulsory subject in our schools
do you mean we no longer study History in our higher schools? embarassed if so needed to be reversed urgently. Benefits paramounts cry
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by revolt(m): 10:04am On Apr 06, 2017
Ironsi was the mofo that put us in this shit. ....how can u have power and let lower beings take it from you despite extra clear signs of imminent danger....the freaktard led us into this cesspit of retrogression without even putting up a fight. As for danjuma what can I say, he killed a Nigerian leader and is still called to chair symposiums on philanthropy. We've lost. We may yet rise but my brothers don't read history again , whizkid babymama stories and big brother naija is more important than registering in a political party...
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by kingzizzy: 10:08am On Apr 06, 2017
onadana:

TY Danjuma..was a military man who only obeyed orders.There is a chain of command.

He obeyed orders! Ironsi was the highest ranking officer in Nigeria at the time. Who's orders do you think Danjuma should have obeyed the most?

What kind of orders was Danjuma obeying when he could not obey that of a Major General like Ironsi?

Dont talk like an ignoramus
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by sarrki(m): 10:38am On Apr 06, 2017
kingzizzy:

He obeyed orders! Ironsi was the highest ranking officer in Nigeria at the time. Who's orders do you think Danjuma should have obeyed the most?

What kind of orders was Danjuma obeying when he could not obey that of a Major General like Ironsi?

Dont talk like an ignoramus

It was a laid down plan

Nothing like he's taking orders
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by mrtayesynchro(m): 10:43am On Apr 06, 2017
kingzizzy:

Thats the thing I will never understand. General TY Danjuma who killed Ironsi and Fajuyi is still walking about a free man and still being praised by the same people who are trying to immortalise the Palm tree
where he commited doubble murder

The military Is a game,and d game is over,
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by jpphilips(m): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2017
Ironsi was not killed on any palm tree, according to Capt. Nwankwo who was his ADC at the time, he was tied to a Landrover, later his body was dicovered along the expressway, may be true for Fajuyi who was shot on the spot.

1 Like

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by Antichristus: 10:52am On Apr 06, 2017
In the UK, all school children learn British history. Only yesterday, I was conversing with a 7 year old boy of Nigerian parents (his dad was my colleague in the University) and I asked this 7 year old boy to tell me what he did in school. He recounted what they did from resumption to closing time. He mentioned WW2 which caught my interests. I asked him to tell me about it. This 7 year old impressively recounted the two sides in the war; how Japan nuked USA and how the US retaliated. He also mentioned key players like Hitler. More importantly, he explained that Germany is no longer an enemy of the US, UK, etc., affirming that people can disagree to agree. This was a 7 year old, only yesterday.

I am also aware that primary school children also learn about medieval England, vis-a-vis, 1066 and the contests for the English crown (Harald Hardrada, Harold Godwinson and William the Conqueror in the Battles of Stamford Bridge and Hastings); how the Welsh, Scots and Irish came under the English rule; and, the English/British global expansionism, etc.

Sad that in Nigeria, history and humanities subjects, including Nigerian languages, have been relegated and castigated as undesirables. Any wonder, we fail to learn from the past, especially from past mistakes? Any wonder we're celebrating those that should be ostracized for their roles in the derailment of the nation's road to greatness?

2 Likes

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by mazizitonene(m): 10:52am On Apr 06, 2017
Sweetguy25:
The man who killed them is still alive and kicking. In fact, he's a billionaire enjoying his life to the fullest.
he will still die.....
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by midfinger(m): 11:02am On Apr 06, 2017
northvietnam:
Ironsi is an old fool...

Aguiyi Ironsi Rest in pieces...

if you listened to Ojukwu, you wouldn't have brought Gowon 10,000 poles near you..

Aguiyi ironsi appointment...

Gown... Chief of Army staff..

Mallam Hamsad Amadu .. Ironsi private secretary.

made lieutenant Sani bello his ADC...

Major General Johnson Thomas Umunakwe Aguiyi Ironsi you brought this marginalization upon Igbos...

Those uncircumcised Animals killed you cuz you surrounded your self with Enemies

After your death Gowon your Army Chief of staff took over and killed 3million of your people.. during the war..

Aguiyi you are dead but Gowon is still alive..

even My Danjuma is Alive and richer than your 100th Generation...

Aguiyi you brought this mess so

Rest in pieces..
I did buy into this viewpoint wholeheartedly!. At least some igbotic idiots that carry one Nigeria for head like gala ,would appreciate the need to reevaluate their stance in the scheme of things and better reaccess on time,so as to not cry had I known. One question that crossed my mind as I was typing this is "what do you think would be going on in the mind of aguyi ironsi before he finally got shot by aboki soldiers?" your guess would be as good as mine;he'd definitely be regretting on not heeding the advice of ojukwu to keep these bloody aboki soldiers at arm's length.

1 Like

Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 06, 2017
And u have not immortalised d stomach of the workers of Oyo state.
Re: The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them by northvietnam(m): 11:12am On Apr 06, 2017
midfinger:
I did buy into this viewpoint wholeheartedly!. At least some igbotic idiots that carry one Nigeria for head like gala ,would appreciate the need to reevaluate their stance in the scheme of things and better reaccess on time,so as to not cry had I known. One question that crossed my mind as I was typing this is "what do you think would be going on in the mind of aguyi ironsi before he finally got shot by aboki soldiers?" your guess would be as good as mine;he'd definitely be regretting on not heeding the advice of ojukwu to keep these bloody aboki soldiers at arm's length.

the idiot was advocating one Nigeria..

Now where is the fool and where is Gowon and TY Danjuma...

Until igbos stop fooling them Selves with this one Nigeria madness before they will be free from slavery...

stupid Aguiyi

he's not fit to answer the name Aguiyi.. they should call him Lizard ironsi

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EndSARS: My Wife Is Protesting, I Earn N64,000, Bought My Uniform - Policeman / Senator Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan (Governorship Candidate) Shines At APC Rally / We Used Almajiris To Vote Out Jonathan – Kwankwaso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.