Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi (2556 Views)

Buratai Relocates To North-East, To Lead Soldiers Against Boko Haram / Coronavirus: FG Starts Immediate Cash Transfer To Poorest Households - Farouk / Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District Result As It Stands Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by sarrki(m): 11:23am On Apr 06, 2017
The Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi ll, on Wednesday, said the North-West and the North-East remained the poorest parts of the world.

Sanusi, made this statement at the Kaduna State Economic Summit in Kaduna, the state capital.

The monarch, who spoke on the theme ‘Promoting investments in the midst of economic challenges’, said the North, as a region, constituted the highest of the nation’s population, but lacked the necessary indices for progress.

Sanusi added, “We are living in denial. The North-West and the North-East, demographically, constitute the bulk of Nigeria’s population, but look at human development indices, look at the number of children out of school, look at adult literacy, look at maternal mortality, look at infant mortality, look at girl-child completion rate, look at income per capita, the North-East and the North-West Nigeria, are among the poorest parts of the world.

“As far back as 2000, I looked at the numbers, Borno and Yobe states, UNDP figures: Borno and Yobe states, if they were a country on their own, were poorer than Niger, Cameroon and Chad.

“Nobody saw this because we were looking at Nigeria as a country that averages the oil-rich Niger Delta, the industrial and commercial-rich Lagos, the commercially viable South-East, and you have an average.

“Break Nigeria into its component parts, and these parts of the country are among the poorest, if it were a country. And we do not realise we are in trouble.”

Sanusi said for the region to leap forward developmentally, it must fix it social and religious problems.

He pointed out that women and children must be loved, not beaten, adding that the region must do away with the 13th century mindset of religion and culture.

Sanusi stated, “Other Muslim nations have pushed forward girl-child education, they’ve pushed forward science and technology. They have pushed forward the arts. We have this myth in northern Nigeria, where we try to create an Islamic society that never existed.”

He added that the northern Muslims had adopted an interpretation of culture and religion that was rooted in the 13th century mindset, which refused to recognise that the rest of the Muslim world had moved on.

He recalled that books, preaching love, were being burnt in northern Nigeria, calling for a better interpretation of Islamic views so that better life could be provided for women and the girl-child.

Sanusi stated, “We need to understand the roots of the problem of northern Nigeria. Burning books, it happened in Kano. What is the crime of those books? They were writing about (love), and love apparently is supposed to be a bad word.

“In a society where you don’t love your women and you don’t love your children, you allow them to beg, you beat up your women, why should anyone talk about love?

“We have adopted an interpretation of our culture and our religion that is rooted in the 13th century mindset that refuses to recognise that the rest of the Muslim world has moved on.

“Today in Malaysia, you wake up and divorce your wife; that is fine. But you give her 50 per cent of all the wealth you acquired since you married her. It is a Muslim country. In Nigeria, you wake up after 20 years of marriage, you say to your wife, ‘I divorce you’, and that’s it.

“Other Muslim nations have pushed forward girl-child education; they’ve pushed forward science and technology. They have pushed forward the arts. We have this myth in northern Nigeria, where we try to create an Islamic society that never existed.

“We are fighting culture, we are fighting civilisation. We must wage an intellectual war, because Islam is not univocal. There are many voices, there are many interpretations, there are many viewpoints, and we have for too long allow the ascendancy of the most conservative viewpoints. The consequences of that are that there are certain social problems.”

http://punchng.com/nigerias-north-west-north-east-poorest-in-the-world-sanusi/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by Stricker321: 11:25am On Apr 06, 2017
“Other Muslim nations have pushed forward girl-child education; they’ve pushed forward science and technology. They have pushed forward the arts. We have this myth in northern Nigeria, where we try to create an Islamic society that never existed.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by sarrki(m): 11:25am On Apr 06, 2017
Well said sire

We need to get to work in human development, Education and serious agricultural revolution

We need to do something fast

The two region contributeso 47% of Nigeria population
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by Stricker321: 11:27am On Apr 06, 2017
Sanusi said for the region to leap forward developmentally, it must fix it social and religious problems.

I am beginning to like this man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by sarrki(m): 11:30am On Apr 06, 2017
Stricker321:

I am beginning to like this man.

Well said

I would like all our traditional institutions to work more on enlightenment of there sbjects rather than dabble in partisan politics
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by Ezenwammadu(m): 11:32am On Apr 06, 2017
After ruling for 30 years the north is nothing but a den of hunger and poverty...... Tufiakwa

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by igwebuike01: 11:46am On Apr 06, 2017
“Nobody saw this because we were looking at Nigeria as a country that averages the oil-rich Niger Delta, the industrial and commercial-rich Lagos, the commercially viable South-East, and you have an average.

This is my favorite part from the Emir, he never mentioned SW, only Lagos aka Nomansland. The Emir is an Economist of international repute and understand how poor the SW is while deceiving themselves with Lagos

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 11:49am On Apr 06, 2017
What an irony! Yet that region has produced the richest man in Africa and one of the richest in the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 11:51am On Apr 06, 2017
igwebuike01:

This is my favorite part from the Emir, he never mentioned SW, only Lagos aka Nomansland. The Emir is an Economist of international repute and understand how poor the SW is while deceiving themselves with Lagos

Apart from spare parts and second hand materials what else is commercially viable in the east? Red mud?

SW is poor yet you keep migrating your asses to scrounge for a living in the west from the so called commercially viable southeast? Is there any sense in that?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by spartan117(m): 11:53am On Apr 06, 2017
A sane government wud make use of d best minds available just take a look at how Sucessive italian govts from florence, rome, milan, venice coveted leonardo da vinci.
But d case is different in Nigeria, appointees are appointed solely due to their political standing, Dats why u can have someone like fashola heading a ministry he had no prior Knowledge of
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by spartan117(m): 11:57am On Apr 06, 2017
igwebuike01:

I dey tell u!
This man is not biased towards any region, he Speaks d plain truth unlike some oda northerners dat keep deceiving themselves

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by spartan117(m): 11:59am On Apr 06, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Apart from spare parts and second hand materials what else is commercially viable in the east? Red mud?

SW is poor yet you keep migrating your asses to scrounge for a living in the west from the so called commercially viable southeast? Is there any sense in that?
Pple don't migrate to d west in general, Pple migrate to Lagos, borrow a leave from Sanusi's book and Speak d plain truth about ur region

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by sarrki(m): 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2017
Ezenwammadu:
After ruling for 30 years the north is nothing but a den of hunger and poverty...... Tufiakwa

Bros leaders across all regions care less of their people

There only enriched themselves and cronies across religious and ethnic divide

But sell the bitter pills of hatred through religious and ethnic chauvinism to the gullible masses
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by igwebuike01: 12:01pm On Apr 06, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Please direct your questions to the astute economist of intentional repute, he said it, not me

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by mr1759: 12:01pm On Apr 06, 2017
poverty will never end there until u change from your wicked ways
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by spartan117(m): 12:02pm On Apr 06, 2017
ElsonMorali:
What an irony! Yet that region has produced the richest man in Africa and one of the richest in the world.
D region has ruled Nigeria 4 almost 40yrs out of 57yrs of independence

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by igwebuike01: 12:02pm On Apr 06, 2017
sarrki:

Bros leaders across all regions care less of their people

There only enriched themselves and cronies across religious and ethnic divide

But sell the bitter pills of hatred through religious and ethnic chauvinism to the gullible masses
But you worship Tinubu and laugh at us when we refuse to worship OUK and co

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by spartan117(m): 12:03pm On Apr 06, 2017
igwebuike01:

Please direct your questions to the astute economist of intentional repute, he said it, not me
Leave him to keep deceiving himself

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by igwebuike01: 12:05pm On Apr 06, 2017
ElsonMorali:
a greater percentage of masses beating the poverty line is far more important than having the richest man

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 12:05pm On Apr 06, 2017
spartan117:

D region has ruled Nigeria 4 almost 40yrs out of 57yrs of independence

Not the region actually, the elites.

No ruler from other parts of the country impacted positively and meaningfully in their region, case in point Goodluck Jonathan.

Democracy is a scam in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
igwebuike01:

I'm directing it at you. You obviously agreed with him. And you definitely inferred that the southwest is poor.

What are you doing in a poor southwest region If your region is rich? undecided
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by sarrki(m): 12:10pm On Apr 06, 2017
We the youths of today if we fail to set our country on the right foot

We are not different from those we accused

Change begins with all of Us
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 12:12pm On Apr 06, 2017
spartan117:

Pple don't migrate to d west in general, Pple migrate to Lagos, borrow a leave from Sanusi's book and Speak d plain truth about ur region

There you go again deceiving yourselves.

Are you saying there isn't a huge percentage of Igbos living in Ibadan, Abeokuta, Oshogbo, Ondo, Akure, Ogbomosho, Ilesha, and other parts of the south west?

Learn to face the truth. Only the truth can set you free.
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2017
igwebuike01:

a greater percentage of masses beating the poverty line is far more important than having the richest man

We are in agreement on this point.
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by spartan117(m): 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2017
sarrki:
We the youths of today if we fail to set our country on the right foot

We are not different from those we accused

Change begins with all of Us
First of all we have to kick out dis incompetent govt bcuz change begins with us.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by igwebuike01: 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2017
ElsonMorali:

I'm directing it at you. You obviously agreed with him. And you definitely inferred that the southwest is poor.

What are you doing in a poor southwest region If your region is rich? undecided
the onus is on you that disagree with him to ask him questions

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by sarrki(m): 12:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
spartan117:

First of all we have to kick out dis incompetent govt bcuz change begins with us.

Brother 2019 is not far away

Anyone that didn't perform will definitely be booted out
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by igwebuike01: 12:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Are you saying there isn't a huge percentage of Igbos living in Ibadan, Abeokuta, Oshogbo, Ondo, Akure, Ogbomosho, Ilesha, and other parts of the south west?

And there you go again, are there no huge percentage of Chinese in Nigeria, Somalia, Afghanistan etc?? Is there any country on earth where you can't find Chinese and Igbos??

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by spartan117(m): 12:21pm On Apr 06, 2017
ElsonMorali:

There are large igbo settlements in Benin, kano, lokoja, kaduna, sokoto infact there is hardly a place u can travel to in Nigeria where u won't find igbo settlements
However, why wud I being in a right frame of mind decide to migrate to ogun, or osun what am i looking 4 there?
D only places I can leave my state to migrate to is Lagos, Abuja, kano, portharcourt and Maybe kaduna.

Stop deceiving yourselve and face facts

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 12:23pm On Apr 06, 2017
igwebuike01:

And there you go again, are there no huge percentage of Chinese in Nigeria, Somalia, Afghanistan etc?? Is there any country on earth where you can't find Chinese and Igbos??

Lol. The way Igbos have invaded the southwest, If the Chinese should invade Nigeria's like that yawa go gas o.

Your point I'm countering is that Igbos only go to Lagos because according to you it's no man's land.

Why are there so many Igbos in Yoruba land but so very minute number of Yorubas in Igbo land, comparatively?Igbos
The question is what are you all running away from in your land, hunger, perhaps?
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by ElsonMorali: 12:24pm On Apr 06, 2017
spartan117:

There are large igbo settlements in Benin, kano, lokoja, kaduna, sokoto infact there is hardly a place u can travel to in Nigeria where u won't find igbo settlements
However, why wud I being in a right frame of mind decide to migrate to ogun, or osun what am i looking 4 there?
D only places I can leave my state to migrate to is Lagos, Abuja, kano, portharcourt and Maybe kaduna.

Stop deceiving yourselves and face facts
Re: Nigeria’s North-west, North-east, Poorest In The World – Sanusi by positivelord: 12:30pm On Apr 06, 2017
These views are revolutionary and Emir Sanusi have kept it coming. This is a new beginning. watch out the north in the next 30years if they follow this views. The rest of us can be laughing by the road side and watch them zoom pass.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Chibok Girls Always Released Before Democracy Day? / Breaking:buhari Sack Ngige Repleaced With Northener / Ghosts Are Now Being Used To Attack Me In Government House - Rochas Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.