Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Students Unionism - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Unionism (636 Views)

Students Unionism Banned In Ondo Federal Poly – Rector / Students Unionism, A Lost Tale; Case Study On Nans And Sug / Kogi Govt Bans Unionism In State-owned Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Students Unionism by davo80(m): 3:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
STUDENT UNIONISM:

We all grew up to be told that we are the leaders of tomorrow. This mentality followed us to university and polytechnics, where we actually played our first politics.
If you ever practiced unionism from Departmental to SUG level, then you would know that Nigeria political failure all started from our campuses.
There is so much money in student unionism that students die for it. This is why you see grandpa contesting to be NANS President. Truth is they have nothing to offer. They are there for the money. The true progressive who mean well never wins. The cabal have long been designed to frustrate them. The cabals are the students themselves. They are the ones who leave school and come to preach democracy when they never practiced it in school.
Many well meaning Nigeria students believes to win election in school, the norm is to join a cult. If you are not and you win, you are not likely to complete your tenure.But i can vehemently tell you that this perspective is wrong, I know alot of students union presidents,secretary generals, and welfare directors who led students struggle without cult affiliation.
The four most lucrative posts, President, Secretary General, Financial secretary and Director of Welfare are reserved for the kingpins. Even the school management determines who win these positions.
Unionism is activism but today its the worst scene on campus and i think if you fail in your first assignment as a leader there's no magic that you will be right in future.One thing i have grown to understand is that those who spend heavily for campaign don't win elections.
Most qualified students fails to run for students unionism because of the fear of belonging to cult group and fear of expulsions and love of their certificate.
I The system cannot afford rebels in power. They cannot afford to have someone who has a mind of his own and the people in power. The very Students you think are sane are the same persons that will frustrate you and used against you. Yet they are the leaders of tomorrow. They will be the INEC Commissioners and politicians and yet you expect a better Nigeria.
To take back Nigeria, you must take back the university/polytechnic from the student cabals. You cannot take back NASS or think of going against the Senators when the next ones are in SRC doctoring records and fixing decoder in the SUG building and telling fellow students that a GOtv decoder of N6800 was fixed for N1.2 million.You see members of SRC fighting themselves, not because of Students Welfare but because of Sitting Allowance. This allowance is the only thing student officials thinks and talk about in our institutions. So very unfortunate.
To make matter worst, they are dogs that eats dog. Management uses them against themselves.

The rot starts from the very university/polytechnic not the National Assembly. How students will seat down and be paid bogus allowances for doing nothing is what we should first stop before occupying NASS. These are same students that will graduate to be legislators later and you think Nigeria will be better.
The root of corruption starts from Student unionism and until we clear such Aegean Stable, join no one any longer to blame Saraki and Co. They are all products of Student politics.
Finally I want to state categorically that not all comrades are cultist,not all SUG president,vice president,secretary general etc belongs to cult group.
On this note,Am inviting all well meaning ,vibrant,and patrotic Nigerian students to National Youths Assembly Of Nigeria(NYAN).In NYAN we promotes patriotism,good governance,fight corruption and mainstream youths into politics.we believe we must change the dynamics that youths are the leaders of tomorrow rather we are leaders of today and builders of tomorrow.As our slogan connotes 'MY VOICE MY POWER'.we believe our highest tools should be our voice.join us today and be trained on how to handle leadership positions effectively.
Signed
Amb David Benjamin
Majority leader Edo state NYAN

(1) (Reply)

Organise Kolkata Art Workshop With The Help Of Mera Workshop / The Notion Of Truth In Igbo Thought.a Philosophical Exposition / My Academics Or My Source Of Livelihood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.