Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,034 members, 7,825,256 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Should A Dead Man Be A Father? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should A Dead Man Be A Father? (990 Views)

A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter / ‘dead’ Man Wakes Up After Three Days In Mortuary / Dead Man Wakes Up After 3 Day In The Mortuary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by Zebedee(m): 6:11pm On Jan 23, 2007
a court ruled recently that the sperm of a dead soldier who died 4 years ago be used to fertilize the egg of a woman he never knew so that the parents could have a grand child in memory of their late son.

what do you think? is it a form of business for women or its just unethical or its good?

waiting for your comments, shocked

NB. it did' nt happen in 9ija sha
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by Seun(m): 6:31pm On Jan 23, 2007
Why not? The dead man is not complaining; I'm sure he'd be happy to have a child to carry his name.
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by eniola1310(f): 11:11am On Jan 26, 2007
i dont see anything wrong with that.
as long as the woman that is going to bear the baby is not complaining.
i wont mind raising shakespares' kids myself
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ajolayo(m): 9:50am On Jan 27, 2007
I think the problem about the arrangement is the ethics. Is it ethical? Can it be misused? What are the problems of sperm banking? etc.

Science and infact Medicine is advancing at an incredible rate but we must remember that as good as this is, if we are not bound by the laws of ethics then all these can have negative impacts on the society.
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by Seun(m): 9:58am On Jan 27, 2007
I think the problem about the arrangement is the ethics. Is it ethical? Can it be misused? What are the problems of sperm banking? etc.

Science and infact Medicine is advancing at an incredible rate but we must remember that as good as this is, if we are not bound by the laws of ethics then all these can have negative impacts on the society.

I think this is pretencious, but I'll humor you. Can you help elaborate on the "ethics" of this simple question?
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ajolayo(m): 10:21am On Jan 27, 2007
@ Seun,
I want to ask first of all why you edited my post? You removed a whole chunk and then left just a bit and then you want to humour me? I will tell you what ethics are involved when you explain why you edited my post.
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by Seun(m): 10:26am On Jan 27, 2007
It was an personal attack on eniola, which is considered inflammatory. www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1026.0.html
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ajolayo(m): 10:44am On Jan 27, 2007
@ Seun,
I do not consider that inflammatory at all. It was also not a personal attack. It was an attempt at fun. Besides eniola is my very good friend, she would sure laugh it off. Then who decides whether a statement is inflammatory in this forum: Should it be you? or the person who the statement was directed to?

Listen, I admire you greatly. That does not take anything away from the respect I have for you but I think the person who a statement is directed to should be the one to say that a certain statement is inflammatory or abusive. We all sure view things differently.

About ethics or no ethics. Are we going to decide how many years you can store sperm for? Are we going to store everybody's sperm cells? Can there be mistakes in the sperm bank? What if a widow becomes pregnant 4 months after the death of her husband, and she tells you that the child is her husband's as she was fertilized by his sperm when actually she was promiscuous(that child can then claim the man's inheritance)? What if the family of the dead man do not like the wife and then they take the sperm and fertilize another woman so that the child lay claim to all the property and then then widow is left in the cold?
It is known that when ovaries are stored for long periods, they might produce some malformations in the children. Does that happen with sperm too? Can it be a accessory weapon for ethnic cleansing later in the future?
Who has the right to the sperm of the dead man? His wife? His family? or his next of kin?
There are other things to be considered but thats that for now.
As you can see I am not referring to this dead man in particular but to the whole idea

Please next time you want to edit my post, I would prefer you remove the whole post and not remove a chunk and leave the rest there.

Thanks
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by cyberangel(m): 1:14am On Jan 29, 2007
the concept of medical ethics will always be very controversial. there are various ethical schools of thought and a doctor has to choose which one he/she belongs to. if you give me your e-mail address i will send you a ppt file of the lecture i delivered on medical ethics last year and we can now use the basis of the different schools of thought to react to this situation.

in the meantime i will take them one after the other
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by Seun(m): 8:11am On Jan 29, 2007
All those potential complications do not apply in this case. If the main actors in the case - the parents, the dead man, the surrogate mother - are not complaining, why should we? Human happiness is more important than "ethics".
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ajolayo(m): 4:33pm On Feb 01, 2007
@cyberangel,
Thanks. My email address is open. It is ajolayo@yahoo.com

Seun, you amaze me. You think the issue of ethics do not apply because it is a single case. What ignorance. You do not know that it is that case that would be quoted in the future. You cannot afford not to set standards at any point in time. There is a propensity for humnas to misuse things and refer you back to a similar case in the past. Thats why we have standards which do not bend no matter who is involved.
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by Seun(m): 12:40am On Feb 02, 2007
People should be allowed to do whatever they want to do provided that nobody is being harmed.

Soon people like you will be talking about whether it's "ethical" to allow people to have minds of their own.
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ajolayo(m): 12:02am On Feb 05, 2007
Seun,
I want you to listen to yourself. Thats why it is a society. we cannot do whatever we like, it has to conform to the laws of the society. Who determines whether another person is harmed? If you allow people to do what they like, there would be a societal breakdown. There should be rules governing everything. Human beings are very funny. They are quick to misuse complete freedom. Also the rules are standards, it ensures fairness, so that today you do not tell me A that he can kill and then you tell Mr B the next day that it is wrong to kill.
You think human beings can funtion properly without rules even the creator put down rules and guidelines. If the creator knows our charcater, who are you to say that we can do what we like? Ethics are essential my friend.
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:08am On Feb 05, 2007
I assume the solider dude gave his sperm to a sperm bank, right?

So what exactly is the problem? Do you know what the point of a sperm bank is?
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ajolayo(m): 1:29am On Feb 09, 2007
Are u asking me?
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by bluenubian(f): 1:38am On Feb 09, 2007
ajolayo:

Are u asking me?

lol yes i think she was, he did donate his sperm to a sperm bank. Am sure he knew very well that this situation would be a possibility.
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by agnesoseka: 2:18pm On Feb 13, 2007
LOL u guys r phonny!!
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by Zebedee(m): 7:58pm On Feb 13, 2007
@ THIEFOFHEARTS

the soldier dude did not donate his in a sperm bank. the oparents got his sperm extracted minutes after he died. guess they had the agenda for a along time. so what do you guys think about ethics and human fredom?

comments please
Re: Should A Dead Man Be A Father? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:31pm On Feb 13, 2007
well he wasnt gonna use it in the great beyond so whatever

(1) (Reply)

Farmer Caught His Cow Eating Chickens / Need Y'all 2 Help Me Out! / Over 4m Nigerians (and 500,000 Lagosians) Are H I V Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.