Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Advice To Ex- NYSC Members - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice To Ex- NYSC Members (481 Views)

My Advice To Graduates: This Is How To WIN / Advice To Young Graduates Searching For Job / Miyetti Allah Reacts To Ex-president Obasanjo’s Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Advice To Ex- NYSC Members by henryukwa(m): 8:37am On Apr 07, 2017
You are gold, ex-Corp Member.

A few years ago in a village called Umuachoro (somewhere between Itu Mbaise and Amaumara in Ezinihitte-Mbaise LGA), as NYSC began its cyclic dash to a close, the thought of PoP (Passing Out Parade) would sneak into our room at sunset to scare the hell out of me.

By the way, I had a fantastic time during NYSC. I met wonderful folks during NYSC, some of us remain in touch/friends till this day. Olúkáyòdé (Baba Kay) and Ukwajiunor (Henro) were two of my besties during NYSC.

Kay was my roomie. Our paths crossed when we were posted to the same PPA (that one na another story sef). Kay and I slept in the same bed for a year. Kay was the bold and friendly guy, he always wore a smile, and he can sing like , chai. Henry was the corp member with a swag. He towers like an iroko. The starch on his Khaki and other shirts would have conveniently filled all the potholes from Lagos to Owerri; he was/is always on point. Mehn, the guy can teach and cook for Africa. The aroma of his egusi soup can cure convulsion. He even taught us an unusual way of cooking indomie. You think only Ice Prince can cook indomie, abeg, forget matter for Matthias! So when next I cook indomie for you and you bite your tongue, thank Henro. I also met Ayodeji, Bashir, Oyebode, Salami, Sonia, Bayo, Adeyeye, Orji (Okosisi I) and many others.

But see, like after the glitz and glamour of NYSC, for many, the curtain drops and reality returns. PoP arrives and oops, it would seem like you are on your own.

See, I was not planless during NYSC, I had plans, workable ones but somehow, those bouts of fear were also real. As the day drew nigh, the more I was scared of stuff.

What next after NYSC? Would my plans work? What if they don't, what next? Where would I live? Or will the State government pay the one year salary it owes us so we can smile home and use the money to start our lives? Since we worked out asses out, shouldn't we be paid like our other colleagues in and outside the State were paid? Should I get a job instead? Where? How would I pay my bills? Or MSc? How? Why? Those many questions almost burst my veins.

I particularly dreaded going back home after the service scheme. It was that intense at the time. Henry was one of the few of us fully excited at the prospect of returning home. Who wouldn't? But he was kind enough to give us moral support. I remember planning an escape route with Kay. We planned not to return to Lagos but remain in Imo State and start our lives.

Unfortunately, the jobs​ and deals we hoped had been sealed in Owerri fell through. Another near deal in Lagos deal failed too. We had to pick up the broken pieces. Many other things happened. Many disappointments followed but the sun didn't stop shining.

NYSC ended. Life continued. Gradually, life picked up. Life got better and better.

When I am sharing this?

Today is POP. Many of the corp members passing out today don't have "homes" to go back to. Some are even so scared about the future, they would rather NYSC doesn't end. Some served in States or at PPAs with heartless governors/heads who owe you your honest token salaries. You have no savings, it appears that would makethe task of survival harder beyond May, 2017. You are not alone. I and many others before you were in those shoes too.

I had the same fears some years back. But eventually, I faced my fears and I overcame them. I am better off today. You will be too. Things are not hopeless. Oftentimes, things are not as bad as our fears paint them, we just need to look in the right places and find strength to surmount our fears and inadequacies.

So, what do you need to do now that allawee will stop? Give in to you fear? Take to vices? Sink in self pity? No. No. No.

Once you are able to tame those fears, your eyes will clearly see that there are opportunities begging to be taken. Home can be anywhere.

It's time to give life your all. Make the call(s) you need to make. Be ready for a million no's but don't be deterred. Re-strategise where you need. Determine not to depend on hand-outs. Send in the application. Learn new skills. Volunteer. Apply for professional courses and for advanced degrees. Register the company. Go for auditions. Start the business. Just keep moving, don't stay idle. Gainfully engage your brain and the (human) resources around you. All things being equal, you will soon discover that, that you've all along feared, is like an ant that cannot hold back your elephant.

Now that NYSC has ended, real life begins. Welcome. Thank you for serving your fatherland. Your service continues. May fatherland serve you too. May earth answer to you. May your steps be ordered. May you enjoy grace everywhere you turn. May your dreams​ come true..

I wish you the very best... Congratulations.

~ Kunlere Idowu

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Change Of Orientation Camp Venue In Cross River / Tips For Minimizing Workplace Negativity (idris Olatunde Oluwaseyi) / Cost Of Bread Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.