Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,997 members, 7,828,522 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos (7612 Views)

Hausafulani Ladies Are The Most Finest In Africa(photos) / Outrage As Nigerians Perform Traditional Rituals Publicly In South Africa.Photos / 45,000 Virgin Zulu Maidens Step Out Topless For Testing In South Africa (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by MtuMsuper: 2:27pm On Apr 11, 2017
The French had to chop off the nose of the sphinx, it was too african for their liking. Op, you have the 2 conical huts labelled East Africa. I dont recognise from which part, please elaborate.
Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by MtuMsuper: 2:31pm On Apr 11, 2017
More Bamoun. i love the bamoun traditional architecture. They clearly understood the door lintel and the role of the column in spreading loads to the ground.

Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by MtuMsuper: 2:38pm On Apr 11, 2017
interior decor

Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by baby124: 9:19pm On Apr 11, 2017
MtuMsuper:
interior decor
This is Uganda right? I think I saw this in a documentary. The ancient houses are so beautiful in that country! Really beautiful! Wow!

OP,
I love the buildings in Timbuktu. It really shows that above the earth there are sufficient building materials. Those mud bricks used in the buildings are as durable as cement. If not more. They have been there for 100's of years. A Cement house would have fallen apart. I hope the building techniques are not extinct. I stand to be corrected but this is my observation.
Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by MtuMsuper: 10:17pm On Apr 11, 2017
baby124:

This is Uganda right? I think I saw this in a documentary. The ancient houses are so beautiful in that country! Really beautiful! Wow!

OP,
I love the buildings in Timbuktu. It really shows that above the earth there are sufficient building materials. Those mud bricks used in the buildings are as durable as cement. If not more. They have been there for 100's of years. A Cement house would have fallen apart. I hope the building techniques are not extinct. I stand to be corrected but this is my observation.
Actually its Bamoun from Cameroun. Rhymes.
Those are not mud and thatch, but wood and thatch. Carved in relief art form. Walls of bamboo.
Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by baby124: 10:32pm On Apr 11, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Actually its Bamoun from Cameroun. Rhymes.
Those are not mud and thatch, but wood and thatch. Carved in relief art form. Walls of bamboo.
Wow, very beautiful. There is one I saw from Uganda. Also extremely beautiful. I can even sleep there today. grin
Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by baby124: 10:54pm On Apr 11, 2017
Rossik, do something on Tombs of Buganda kings. Those were the structures I thought were Uganda houses. They are so beautiful.
Re: The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos by Yusluv6020: 10:11am On Feb 24, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dowry For Igbo Wife / Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos / 7 Ways To Prevent Cultural Mistakes While On Vacation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.