Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,108 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide (27392 Views)

Cipriano Cassamá Resigns As President Of Guinea Bissau After One Day In Office / Nude Photos: Katie Hill Resigns. Had An Affair With Male & Female Staff / Jacob Zuma Resigns As South African President! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by jconsulting(f): 1:05pm On Apr 11, 2017
Americans those are human beings now, don't ever compare them with naija
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Oloriokokan: 1:11pm On Apr 11, 2017
Please note that this is against our culture and tradition in Naija.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Tisham20(m): 1:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
9ja politician we die
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Basfaq(m): 1:17pm On Apr 11, 2017
(Return my money back if you can do it )by Wike. grin.no is a voiceshop. undecided
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by nwaimoroseyaho: 1:18pm On Apr 11, 2017
if it was here, so many lawyers and SANS would have saved him.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Tisham20(m): 1:18pm On Apr 11, 2017
grin 9ja politician make i hear we die there
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
This can never happen in Nigeria, governors don't resign here
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by tosyne2much(m): 1:31pm On Apr 11, 2017
You and I know that this can't happen in Nigeria wink cheesy
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 11, 2017
I'm not surprised that this is coming from the sh.itty, primitive Alabama...a state that has the highest per capita death penalty rate in the country.

The only state in the US which still allows a judge to impose death against jury verdict in favor of life imprisonment angry angry
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by CoCoLav(f): 1:34pm On Apr 11, 2017
Y'all are complaining about the fact that this cannot happen in Nigeria forgetting that the American electorate ensure that their leaders are held accountable to them. It is also for us the Nigerian electorate to hold our leaders accountable. Instead, all they have to do is pay a celebrity to mess up or commit a bigger scandal and we would forget about the bigger issues facing the country.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by ayaside(m): 1:34pm On Apr 11, 2017
TosineGuy:
God bless America. These are men of integrity. Not men that are just in post cos of the money. I am sure nigerian senators won't resign even if na rape case. How will naija move forward wit corrupt, selfish leaders?
Please...gimme a break!
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by bukatyne(f): 1:38pm On Apr 11, 2017
Nigeria long waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to go!
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Vince77(m): 1:40pm On Apr 11, 2017
prettyboi1989:
if it were in Nigeria, it will take ages before the mumu judiciary will convict the accused and have him impeached

Impeached ke? If it happened in Nigeria, there will be no case at all.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by LordOfNaira: 1:53pm On Apr 11, 2017
Abbeyme:
Alabama Governor Robert Bentley resigned on Monday after pleading guilty to two campaign misdemeanours amid allegations that he misused public resources to pursue an affair with a former aide.

He was also accused of intimidating officials in an attempt to cover it up.

Public allegations of an affair between Bentley and former senior political adviser Rebekah Caldwell Mason did not break out until March 2016, according to reports.

“I have decided it is time for me to step down as Alabama’s governor,” Bentley, a Republican who faced mounting criticism from his own party, said at the state Capitol shortly after he was booked into the Montgomery County Jail and released.

Shortly afterwards, Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey, a former state treasurer, was sworn in as Alabama’s 54th governor, vowing that her administration “will be open, transparent, and it will be honest”.

As part of a plea deal, Bentley agreed to perform 100 hours of community service and repay his campaign fund 8,912 dollars. He also forfeited the $36, 000 in the campaign account.

In turn, the state Attorney-General’s office will not pursue felonies against him.

Bentley, 74, had faced an impeachment move from his Republican legislators. He apologised to the citizens of the state.

“I’ve always believed the honour of serving as your governor was a calling that God placed on my life.

“Though I have committed myself to working to improve the lives of the people of our state, there have been times that I have let you and our people down, and I’m sorry for that”.

Speculation about the governor’s inappropriate behaviour began in August 2015, when Bentley’s wife of 50 years, Dianne, abruptly filed for divorce, stating in court records that their marriage had suffered an “irretrievable breakdown”.

Speculations became rife after Bentley fired the state’s top law enforcement official, Spencer Collier, saying that an internal investigation at the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency uncovered possible wrongdoing.

Within hours, Collier spoke out against the governor, alleging that he had seen and investigated sexual text messages and audio recordings between Bentley and Mason.

“When I stand behind you, and I put my arms around you, and I put my hands on your breasts and just pull you real close. I love that too,” Bentley said in one audio recording.

“If we’re going to do what we did the other day, we’re going to have to start locking the door,” he was also heard saying.

According to reports, Bentley made little effort to hide his relationship with Mason while at one point, he mistakenly sent a text message saying, “I love you Rebekah”, to his then-wife, Dianne.

Dianne also secretly recorded her husband speaking to Mason, reports said.

Bentley, a state representative and dermatologist, was elected governor in 2010 and re-elected in 2014.

http://omojuwa.com/2017/04/alabama-governor-robert-bentley-resigns-affair-aide/

We all know that this can not yet happen in our present day Nigeria

grin grin sad angry

In Nigeria, the accuser will get a lot of backlash instead.

E. g. Sahara Reporters vs Dino (Sahara got the backlash)

Otobo vs Sule (Otobo got the backlash)

Ese vs. Biodun of COZA (Ese got the backlash. She even renounced her faith in Jesus).

Kemi vs David Ibiyeomi (Kemi got the backlash)

Ndume vs Saraki (Ndume got the backlash)

Buhari vs Goodluck Jonathan (Buhari got the backlash)

and so on and so forth.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Max24: 1:59pm On Apr 11, 2017
Ask Saraki.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Abagworo(m): 1:59pm On Apr 11, 2017
Has Nigeria ever produced a 74 year old Governor?
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by nicolosam(m): 2:11pm On Apr 11, 2017
That is an example of a country where the government actually lives to its primary mandate as a machinery of the state. The State is a creation of the people for a specific mandate.....welfare of the people....great happiness of the largest population in the state. This cannot happen in a conspiracy of a few who are bent to perpetuate the delusion of the masses for their own selfish aggrandisement. Revolution is the panacea...let's rise and fight for our rights because rights aren't given but fought for.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by nicolosam(m): 2:11pm On Apr 11, 2017
That is an example of a country where the government actually lives to its primary mandate as a machinery of the state. The State is a creation of the people for a specific mandate.....welfare of the people....great happiness of the largest population in the state. This cannot happen in a conspiracy of a few who are bent to perpetuate the delusion of the masses for their own selfish aggrandisement. Revolution is the panacea...let's rise and fight for our rights because rights aren't but fought for.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Adeevah(m): 2:12pm On Apr 11, 2017
To fu*k ur deputy/vice wife no be crime for naija oooo

It is part of politics
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Ikenna94: 2:13pm On Apr 11, 2017
admax:
Before you guys start yabbing Nigerian leaders remember President Bill Clinton of the same United States slept with his aide Ms. Monica Lewinsky few years ago!

He admitted to the affair and didn't resign neither was he impeached, so please chill
He did not admit to any wrong doing, get ur facts straight
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Princewell2012(m): 2:14pm On Apr 11, 2017
donprinyo:
He pleaded guilty. I guess there is a very strong evidence connecting him to the crime.

Forget about strong evidence. If it was in Nigeria even with a strong evidence he will still denied it. Tell me any nigerian politician who have ever guilty of any crime before? They will always denied it. And it will lingered on till they forgets about it.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Princewell2012(m): 2:18pm On Apr 11, 2017
admax:
Before you guys start yabbing Nigerian leaders remember President Bill Clinton of the same United States slept with his aide Ms. Monica Lewinsky few years ago!

He admitted to the affair and didn't resign neither was he impeached, so please chill

Hmm atleast he admitted, that's was the massage. Now tell me any politician here that have ever admitted such?
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by tbaba1234: 2:21pm On Apr 11, 2017
admax:

Clinton was impeached.
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by BBBlaze: 2:38pm On Apr 11, 2017
When will naija Polikicians emulate the Europeans?
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by thunderbabs: 2:46pm On Apr 11, 2017
Republicans and the love for Skirts....
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by dejol88: 3:20pm On Apr 11, 2017
admax:

Don't misinform the public , Clinton was impeached
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by bkool7(m): 3:32pm On Apr 11, 2017
admax:

His people gave him a second chance .

Did anyone call for his resignation?
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by ezigr8(m): 3:33pm On Apr 11, 2017
Bentley 74...certainly politics is meant for the old globally
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by bkool7(m): 3:35pm On Apr 11, 2017
Princewell2012:

Forget about strong evidence. If it was in Nigeria even with a strong evidence he will still denied it. Tell me any nigerian politician who have ever guilty of any crime before? They will always denied it. And it will lingered on till they forgets about it.
even his joblessly hungry supporters will Say its photoshopped, audioshopped , witchhunting or media trial

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EUROPE IN CRISIS: Anti-lockdown Protesters Clash With Cops (Pics, Video) / US Enters Technical Recession After Two Consecutive Negative Growths / Huge Explosion Hits Bogoso, Ghana. Scores Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.