Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion (18534 Views)

Convenant University Wins The 2020 Future Creative Leaders Academy Competition / Convenant University Sack Registrar Over SEX Scandal Case / “Does Speaking Of English As First Language Promotes Academic Excellence?” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by lastmessenger: 8:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
Good stuff is happening in Nigeria. Kudo to Cu and thumb up to oyedepo.

1 Like

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by holyfather(m): 8:44pm On Apr 11, 2017
One responsible institution I know.

2 Likes

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Nobody: 8:45pm On Apr 11, 2017
`
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Critically: 8:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
They could use that to solve traffic problems in Ota. Thereby improving their relationship with the Ota people.
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Aphrodevii(f): 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2017
sprado:
wao......thats good....in spirit of gospel education,check this educating app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glaanceafrique.nigeriancuisines
Thank you for posting this! i love nigerian culture an ways of life iam american hopefully i can learn how to prepare a few dishes

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Doctoryoung(m): 8:56pm On Apr 11, 2017
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Nobody: 9:03pm On Apr 11, 2017
NaLaugh:
Top ten university in the world?

All the best to them, but that's a pipe dream for now. Perhaps, aim for top 1,000 to begin.

According to the Center for World University Rankings publication, no Nigerian university is in the top 1,000.
Its all about funding. The University of Luxembourg is one year younger than CU(2003) and today is 174th best uni in the world. So I believe a Church capable of building a City should be able to fund its uni to top 100 at least. Secondly most Nigerian Universities coming from 5000 in 2011/2012 were aiming for top 1000 and today only UI managed to scale into 800+. Hence it's better CU aims for top 10 and fall to top 100 rather than aim for 1000. Finally the top 1000 goal was created for public universities in realization of limited funding. CU on the other hand is funded in a tripartite way, Tuition, Church and IGR(or Business) hence should live up to expectation.

2 Likes

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by profbabatunde: 9:03pm On Apr 11, 2017

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by dingbang(m): 9:20pm On Apr 11, 2017
Father Edeh of Madonna university will not see all these... With his Archaic reasoning..

1 Like

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by nenergy(m): 9:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
Raxxye:

Wetin dey dia? No be to replace "b" for globalization with "c?".
I fit do my own sef callam "gloDalization". Wetin hard dia?

By the Good concept, CU
Glocalization ...The term first appeared in a late 1980s publication of the
Harvard Business Review. At a 1997 conference on "Globalization and Indigenous Culture", sociologist Roland Robertson stated that glocalization "means the simultaneity – the co-presence – of both universalizing and particularizing tendencies."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glocalization
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by claremont(m): 9:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
Statsocial:
Good stuff from CU. I know the university also set aside another $10 million dollars to recruit international staff. I hope people understand that this cash is coming from the living faith church and not covenant university. The living faith church is really spending a lot of cash on CU this year.
The church has also budgeted another 1.6 billion for CU this year alone and that is why I laugh when someone says the church is making profit from CU.

In 2013 the church built a senate building worth 353 million naira and then 2016 the research center should be around 600 million naira but the most important thing is what they are doing now-funding research to top notch and recruiting best staff. Hopefully we would rank top five in Africa(times) by the end of this year. Thank u TheVictorious for tagging me.

By the way globalisation means solving a local problem with a global resonance.

The church makes its money from the donations of the members, the church shovels the money earned to projects like this university. The university falls under the umbrella of the church, and hence, it pays no tax on its earnings.

Sound business model.
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by oludavis123: 9:29pm On Apr 11, 2017
Convenant abi covenant. Olodo OP!
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by farem: 9:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
Statsocial:
Good stuff from CU. I know the university also set aside another $10 million dollars to recruit international staff. I hope people understand that this cash is coming from the living faith church and not covenant university. The living faith church is really spending a lot of cash on CU this year.
The church has also budgeted another 1.6 billion for CU this year alone and that is why I laugh when someone says the church is making profit from CU.

In 2013 the church built a senate building worth 353 million naira and then 2016 the research center should be around 600 million naira but the most important thing is what they are doing now-funding research to top notch and recruiting best staff. Hopefully we would rank top five in Africa(times) by the end of this year. Thank u TheVictorious for tagging me.

The vultures (eaters of dead things) will still choose not to see this even if the church spends $1 Billion.
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 11, 2017
claremont:

The church makes its money from the donations of the members, the church shovels the money earned to projects like this university. The university falls under the umbrella of the church, and hence, it pays no tax on its earnings.

Sound business model.
No, Educational institutions are never taxed be it public or private although they all pay PAYE tax to their respective states. Also, all businesses in Cannanland that are taxable are taxed except for donations in tithes and offering to the Church.
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 11, 2017
oludavis123:
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Nigeriadondie: 10:42pm On Apr 11, 2017
allrightsir:

Nigerians like to open their mouth and just talk anyhow. "we are going to, we are going to," is the story of Nigeria and Nigerians. To build excellence hat will endure is not in our DNA.
Na so dem go dey dream. Na today e don tey
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by KingLaka: 11:13pm On Apr 11, 2017
Point if correction, glocalization is s sociological concept that has been in existence for a long time. For anybody to claim this is their coinage in Covenant university is tantamount to plagiarism. Be guided.
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by NaLaugh: 11:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
Statsocial:

Its all about funding. The University of Luxembourg is one year younger than CU(2003) and today is 174th best uni in the world. So I believe a Church capable of building a City should be able to fund its uni to top 100 at least. Secondly most Nigerian Universities coming from 5000 in 2011/2012 were aiming for top 1000 and today only UI managed to scale into 800+. Hence it's better CU aims for top 10 and fall to top 100 rather than aim for 1000. Finally the top 1000 goal was created for public universities in realization of limited funding. CU on the other hand is funded in a tripartite way, Tuition, Church and IGR(or Business) hence should live up to expectation.

Well put.

However, funding isn't everything. Priorities are.
For instance, if with additional funding, they choose to buy a faculty professor a 2017 official SUV to replace a 2014 - BEFORE approving his research grant. Then priorities are messed up, and mediocrity thrives.

Or lavishing funds on a palatial University Senate building, while laboratories, research centers, libraries etc are of peasant standards.
Unfortunately, the Nigeria I remember seems to operate that way.

While, it's sometimes beneficial to aim high and fail gracefully, this only works when a certain culture already exists.
In the line of progress, pacing one's self more often leads to real measurable progress.
As opposed to lofty goals announced for the sake of verbal grandstanding.

2 Likes

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Ademoore07(m): 11:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
And those dullards on NL won't stop criticising Bishop David Oyedepo by complaining that he enriches himself with tithes and offering. So where does the money come from?
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Topgainer: 6:18am On Apr 12, 2017
Statsocial:

Yea, good stuff more Univerties from the stables of Living faith inc. on the pipeline. A good investment I must say.
Please what do you mean by the Church?
What do you mean by We ? Please, educate me on this because I believe most Pentecostal establishments belong to the Bishops and their immediate families. Using the name the Church and We is to make it look like it belongs to everybody for the purpose of the donations.
You acknowledged that CU is being built from a pool of donations (tithes, seeds and offerings) to the living Faith inc. when the widows complain about the sharing formula of pooled resources some of you will say none of their 10 kobo is there. Some will disdainly ask them how significant is the 10 naira offerings they give, like the fabulous wealth of the Bishop fell from the sky.

1 Like

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:27am On Apr 12, 2017
Statsocial:

Sure, that's a really good one. Some of the industrial partnerships strategically entered into CU consistently entail the companies will build one sort of major structure or the other for the institution. Also these industrial partnership will promote the innovative products of the glocalisation drive.

At the bolded, really, when I see such people, I just don't argue with them, because they might not even be in a need to know basis. Just want to do what they know best, hate. Also the attitude to Nigeria towards education, financially is too poor. If you go to any serious country (even Ghana!), you will be shocked by how they invest in education. Now come to my country, you'll see people complaining that big amount of money invested into education by churches should have otherwise used to feed the poor, and you wonder who the poor arr, if not such poor minds that education is meant to liberate.

1 Like

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:28am On Apr 12, 2017
smartty68:
Its okay but poor man pikin can't attend your university because its too expensive. I'm watching while your guys glocalize your ideas

Do you wish to attend CU?
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:29am On Apr 12, 2017
oviejnr:
Good for them but how will this stop Juve from raping Barca tonight ? Barca fans right now grin grin cheesy

Barca will come back. You'll remember I said so!
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:31am On Apr 12, 2017
nenergy:

You say na una coin am? Based on logistics na lie. grin

Glocalization ...The term first appeared in a late 1980s publication of the
Harvard Business Review. At a 1997 conference on "Globalization and Indigenous Culture", sociologist Roland Robertson stated that glocalization "means the simultaneity – the co-presence – of both universalizing and particularizing tendencies."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glocalization

NOTED. Thanks for that piece of information.
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:33am On Apr 12, 2017
NaLaugh:
Top ten university in the world?

All the best to them, but that's a pipe dream for now. Perhaps, aim for top 1,000 to begin.

According to the Center for World University Rankings publication, no Nigerian university is in the top 1,000.

Let's see how it goes. It can be easy to criticize if you have not dreamed and achieved before!
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:37am On Apr 12, 2017
babalonimi:
This s school! God bless m enough to enroll my children in dis school.

I stand with you bro. "If it can be in your mind, it will surely get to your hands"... Dr. David Oyedepo.

Have you tried applying for David Oyedepo foundation scholarship?

https://www.nairaland.com/3726034/david-oyedepo-scholarship-covenant-university

1 Like

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:53am On Apr 12, 2017
allrightsir:

Nigerians like to open their mouth and just talk anyhow. "we are going to, we are going to," is the story of Nigeria and Nigerians. To build excellence hat will endure is not in our DNA.

Well CU is not the typical Nigerian varsity!

1 Like

Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by Ade3000yrs(m): 7:55am On Apr 12, 2017
Nigerians, go to farm
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:56am On Apr 12, 2017
claremont:

Sound business model.

Your point is senseless. The church is not taxed but CU, is taxed. And CU does not earn profit for the church or any individual.
Re: Convenant University Promotes Nigeria’s Global Relevance With N1Billion by TheVictorious(m): 7:58am On Apr 12, 2017
oludavis123:

Sorry I didn't read it very well, it's from the source.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Teacher Crushed To Death On His Way To Supervise NECO In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Abdulkabir Aliu Scholarship 2017/2018 / UNIMAID: Safety Tips For New Students Coming To Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.