Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,732 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming (19604 Views)

Buy Cat Fish Fingerlings and Post fingerlings / How To Use Super Gro For Fish Farming, Especially Cat Fish. / Cat Fish With Human Teeth Caught Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by olaphilip82: 1:19pm On Feb 21, 2019
Adieza:
How To Start An Intensive Catfish Farming
Catfish farming is one of the profitable agribusiness venture for youths. One could easily make a lot of Money venturing into commercial Catfish farming.
I will give a detailed guide on how I started my own catfish farm. Just do me a favour by patiently reading till the end.
The species of catfish I'm farming. For my fish farm, I am culturing the African catfish known as Clarias gariepinus.
Clarias gariepinushas an average adult length of 1–1.5 m, it reaches a maximum length of 1.7 m and can weigh up to 60 kg. My target is to achieve a live weight of at least 4kg.
The African catfish was realized to be a very suitable species for fish farming for the following reasons:
*.It has fast growth rate and feeds on a large variety of agriculture byproducts
*.It is hardy and tolerates adverse water quality conditions
*.It can be raised in high stocking densities, resulting in high net yields
*.The selling price is higher due to its demand
*.It tolerates difficult conditions in fish farming
System of management
The System of management I used in this catfish farming is Semi-intensive system. It mainly involves fertilizing the pond so that algae will grow as supplementary feed and source of dissolved oxygen for the fishes, and occasionally flushing the pond.
I am using this management option because I stay in a place where there is no constant water supply.
Fertilization of Pond water
Fertilizers are natural or synthetic substances that are used in ponds to increasethe production of the natural food organismsto be eaten by the fish. These organisms includephytoplankton, zooplankton,and insects. They are all part of a complexfood webconverging toward fish production. By increasing the availability of major nutrients,fertilizers promote the development of planktonic algae, which provide food for many fish.
Fish pond can be fertilized with two types of fertilizers.
1.Mineral or inorganic fertilizerswhich contain only mineral nutrients and no organic matter. They are manufactured industrially to be used in agriculture for improving crop production and they can be obtained from specialized suppliers or agro-allied companies.
2.Organic fertilizers, which contain a mixture of organic matter and mineral nutrients. These include poultry droppings, pig faeces, cow dung, rabbit faeces e.t.c
I used poultry droppings for the fertilization of my pond. See the video demonstration of how to fertilize pond.
After fertilizing the pond I let it stand for more than one week. After one week I noticed the growth of algae which is the natural food of the fishes. I then removed the bag of poultry droppings from the pond water.
Stocking with fingerlings of Clarias gariepinus
When I wanted to stock my fish I removed three-quarter of the pond water which is now very green and filled up with clean water. The reason for this is to reduce turbidity and light penetration into the water.
The Catfish I want to farm is the African Catfish scientifically known asClarias gariepinus. I now introduced the fishes into the pond water.
Feeding of the fingerlings
I fed the fishes three times daily; morning, afternoon and night. For the first three weeks(April 4th- April 25th) the fishes were fed 1mm of extruded(floating) fish feed rich in protein content. In the evening of April 25th, I started to feed the fishes with 1.8mm feed and that is what they are eating up till now.
The video below is me feeding the fishes.
Flushing of Fish pond(partially changing pond water)
Although I use the semi-intensive culture of catfish where algae is allowed in the pond water as supplementary fish food and source of oxygen, it is important to flush the pond for a number of reasons.
1. Water changing remove excess nitrates, heavy metals (which will just concentrate if the pond water is only replaced through evaporation). So reducing like three-quarter of pond water and refilling with clean water will reduce the concentration of this compounds.
2. Flushing of pond reduces pond water turbidity which impedes light penetration into the pond water. This turbidity is usually caused by high concentration of organic matter in the pond.
3. It reduces algae boom; a condition in which the green algae becomes over-populated in pond water and harm the fishes by greatly reducing oxygen content of fish pond water.
4. It also helps reduce the foul smell that might be coming out from the fish pond.
Other points to note: Always examine your fishes well and make sure they are well fed with the best feed at the fingerlings stage.

www.agricinfo.com/2017/03/how-to-start-intensive-catfish-farming.html?m=1

Video Link of how i made a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYioCFmeURo

1 Like

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by olaphilip82: 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2019
can someone help me on how to remove toad from my pond, i have a pond contain 1000 juvenile but the number of toad is becoming so much. i need help on how to remove the toad without having to bring out the fish.[quote author=olaphilip82 post=75958576][/quote]
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by guidefreak(m): 2:51pm On Mar 20, 2019
EVER HEARD OF ORGANIC POULTRY FARMING AND ORGANIC REMEDIES TO POULTRY DISEASES?

It's finally in your hands.

As an Animal Scientist, embracing this organic poultry farming knowledge might be easier because I have always known some of the wonderful spices that we used to add to poultry feed in the name of project and testing. But let me tell you, it's even more interesting than I ever thought.

So, I set out to do this comprehensive research about the[b] COMMON SPICES AND HERBS TO COMBAT POULTRY DISEASES [/b]and have found their work to be absolutely remarkable over the years.

All of the concoctions needed to combat poultry diseases can be made right in your home, and the beautiful thing is that it is a lot more cheaper than using synthetic drugs. For example, I have a coupled of broilers for Easter and I have never treated coccidiosis with synthetic drugs. I only use bitter-leaf extract as you can see in my article on https://guidefreak.com/how-to-use-bitter-leaf-extract-for-coccidiosis.

My discovery has given me so much confidence that I can say goodbye to Embasin Forte, Amprollium, OTC, and all the antibiotics that have been found to be detrimental to human health

Switching to Organic Poultry Farming might be a BIG or ROBUST decision for you to make, and I agree with you, but you can start from somewhere.

Most importantly, you don't want to start something you don't know about. Or you don't want to go organic when all you know is just using bitter-leaf to treat coccidiosis and using Basil/scent leaft (Efirin) to handle diarrhea in poultry. This is why it is important to get COMPREHENSIVE KNOWLEDGE from the start.

See some broilers taking bitter leaf extract here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yEhep3aIQ

This comprehensive knowledge can be gathered over months of research and testing, OR YOU CAN choose to get it now in the simplest way possible.

Apart from bring a farmer, I am also a writer, and I have put together a 48-Pages eBook titled YOUR COMPLETE GUIDE TO ORGANIC POULTRY FARMING. If you are still in doubt as to what you can benefit from Organic Poultry, this eBook will CLEAR YOU!

It's time for you to learn how to produce and use organic medications without guessing the dosage or asking the question in a group and waiting for days or weeks to get a response from someone who might be battling with tougher problems on their farm.

Don't kill your birds! Don't lose in your poultry business! Don't delay knowledge.

The eBook goes for just #1,000 now. It's already selling for #3,000 on https://www.afrimash.com/shop/livestock/poultry/your-complete-guide-to-organic-poultry-farming-48-pages/

To get your own copy, message me on https:///KbNZBBwOdvIEDhtNk8wk8L

You can also pay directly and get your copy here: https://paystack.com/pay/h-4k0imvp7

If you choose the whatsapp group, you will see the number of farmers who are already benefiting from the knowledge in the book.

I WILL BE WILLING TO ANSWER YOUR POST-PURCHASE QUESTIONS , and together, we can bring ORGANIC POULTRY FARMING to the limelight again

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by okitejoseph: 4:56pm On Sep 09, 2019
To begin with you need to write a business plan on how you get to go about your Cat Fish farming.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Has Anyone Had Success Using Female Noilers For Egg Production? / Please How Many Bags Of Garri Can One Get From 1 Tons Of Cassava? / Maize Grains, Soyabeans, Sorghum and all grains available In Tonnes For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.