Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,592 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning (2138 Views)

Denmark:imam Says, Child Rape Should Be Legal Because It Is Part Islamic Culture / DEBATE: Pls Present All The Biblical Contradictions And Lies Here. / I Challenge Daddy Freeze And All Anti Tithers To A Public Debate On Tithing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 12, 2017
I came across a discussion on a Facebook page and worth discussing here on NL.

To all mods, I guess this isn't the appropriate section but it would be good if it's moved to the right section.

Should Human Cloning be legal?

Give brief reasons for your answers.

Cc lalasticlala, luvmijeje, hopefullandlord, Hahn, WILGREA7, tosyne2much, akintom, DoctorAlien, zionmade, billynaires, seun, ftechclass, felixomor, Junia, explorers, ifenes, rawgurl etc

Share your opinions

No derailing, no insults pls

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by ftechclass: 5:45pm On Apr 12, 2017
No. We are overpopulated, resources are becoming scarce, aggression has been steadily increasing, global warming and pollution are causing ecosystems to collapse... And you want to make more people artificially, on top of those already made rapidly by natural means?
Bleep that, we need to halt our uncontrolled population growth, or we could face the extinction of all complex life on this planet.

but I think we should focus on the people first and improve our lives and health. Baby steps, baby steps.

Do organ cloning first, save lives, detour cures by replacing the ill organ (like pancreas, lungs... Hearts). Then revisit cloning. I say this because if someone was born sick, a clone would be sick too.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by ifenes(m): 5:51pm On Apr 12, 2017
We must look at it from both ends. My worry will be mass outbreak of identity theft. It will be easy to clone a person and eradicate the original. Humans are often obsessed with family members or pets and will want to clone a dying relative in order to feel like they are still around. Man is trying really hard to conquer nature and I doubt it will lead to true happiness. What good will a clone of 2pac do to the society? We must accept nature works best

Should it be legal? Yes it should as I believe in people having choices to decide what they want. It might end up working well for the society. But will I want a clone of me? No!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by smartty68(m): 6:11pm On Apr 12, 2017
Human cloning is CAPITALLY ILLEGAL. Just like impersonation is illegal.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by zionmade(m): 6:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
Human cloning is not illegal as long as d purpose is not to impersonate any human.
But its not necessary because the earth already has enof human workforce. So it would be selfishness to give d job a human to a robot
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 12, 2017
zionmade:
Human cloning is not illegal as long as d purpose is not to impersonate any human.
But its not necessary because the earth already has enof human workforce. So it would be selfishness to give d job a human to a robot
Cloning doesn't mean making robots. Robots are programmed beings while Cloning entails making identical copies of living things, cells using genetics
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 12, 2017
smartty68:
Human cloning is CAPITALLY ILLEGAL. Just like impersonation is illegal.
How is cloning illegal? Or do you mean religiously or constitutionally illegal?
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by johnydon22(m): 7:03pm On Apr 12, 2017
signing in
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Edenoscar(m): 7:06pm On Apr 12, 2017
Will clones be humans or products? Technically speaking they will, even if they were made to be products.
Will the person who paid for it do whatever he likes, will they have rights?imagine a scenario where a russian billionaire pays millions for clones to harvest the organs to replace his old one how is that different from human trafficking

There are a lot of moral and ethical issues involved we need to discuss before we can think of making it legal
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Edenoscar(m): 7:08pm On Apr 12, 2017
johnydon22:
signing in
will love to know what to think about it sir
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Edenoscar(m): 7:09pm On Apr 12, 2017
adepeter26:

How is cloning illegal? Or do you mean religiously or constitutionally illegal?
cloning is illegal and you can thank the catholic church for that
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by akintom(m): 7:44pm On Apr 12, 2017
Bionic heart and kidney are in the process towards patent. With attendant benefits of this, nothing is wrong with cloning in as much it's the benefits that's the motive.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by coolgee26(m): 7:51pm On Apr 12, 2017
ifene*s akin*tom and ftechclas*s are the only people who have contributed nicely.

For a scientific sense, cloning is awesome. But economically, it's terrible because of the struggle to secure resources present and future.

Modified
Peeps making better points below. Kudos
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 12, 2017
Nice topic! We all need to be on the same page here and develop our thoughts progressively. What is cloning in this context? How can identity theft be of concern in this case? Some of us are getting it all wrong.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by jmichlins(m): 8:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
Robots are already taking away the available jobs in the society. We are already over populated so cloning is a NO!!!!!

But when I remember them that have gone I say yes to cloning but imagine this world with Saddam Hussein and Hitler plus Osama bin Laden and abacha please am confused

1 Like

Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Ermacc: 8:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
Human cloning shouldnt be legalised. It will lead to gross misuse and abuse, human experimentation.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 12, 2017
ifenes:
We must look at it from both ends. My worry will be mass outbreak of identity theft. It will be easy to clone a person and eradicate the original. Humans are often obsessed with family members or pets and will want to clone a dying relative in order to feel like they are still around. Man is trying really hard to conquer nature and I doubt it will lead to true happiness. What good will a clone of 2pac do to the society? We must accept nature works best

Should it be legal? Yes it should as I believe in people having choices to decide what they want. It might end up working well for the society. But will I want a clone of me? No!

Did you say cloning a person and disposing the original?
Cloning doesn't work that way. Genetic Cloning doesn't produce an instant copy of the original person. Maybe some cosmetic surgery would do that job but NOT human genetic cloning involving embryonic stem cells.

E.g If you're to be cloned, your clone would need time to grow up while you're also aging simultaneously. Your clone will never be same age with you except you're cloned at birth.

I hope you understand.

1 Like

Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 12, 2017
jmichlins:
Robots are already taking away the available jobs in the society. We are already over populated so cloning is a NO!!!!!

But when I remember them that have gone I say yes to cloning but imagine this world with Saddam Hussein and Hitler plus Osama bin Laden and abacha please am confused

Cloning doesn't duplicate ones ideologies, knowledge, personality or experiences.

Remember NATURE vs NURTURE?

A clone would will grow and develop in a completely different environment than the original person under different circumstances.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by hopefulLandlord: 8:38pm On Apr 12, 2017
Akdegreat:

Cloning doesn't work that way. Genetic Cloning doesn't produce an instant copy of the original person. Maybe some cosmetic surgery would do that job but NOT human genetic cloning involving embryonic stem cells.

E.g If you're to be cloned, your clone would need time to grow up while you're also aging simultaneously. Your clone will never be same age with you except you're cloned at birth.

I hope you understand.

please, tell me more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by jmichlins(m): 8:39pm On Apr 12, 2017
Akdegreat:

Cloning doesn't duplicate ones ideologies, knowledge, personality or experiences.

Remember NATURE vs NURTURE?

A clone would will grow and develop in a completely different environment than the original person under different circumstances.
all in all, cloning should be abolished
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by zionmade(m): 8:40pm On Apr 12, 2017
adepeter26:

Cloning doesn't mean making robots. Robots are programmed beings while Cloning entails making identical copies of living things, cells using genetics
Pardon me for my choice of words. But i classify dem under robots because they cant be classified as humans.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 12, 2017
zionmade:

Pardon me for my choice of words. But i classify dem under robots because they cant be classified as humans.
I get ya drift Bro....

Thanks for ya contribution(s)
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by jmichlins(m): 8:43pm On Apr 12, 2017
zionmade:

lols. Is it because they didn't come from your grandparents Adam and eve. What do you have to say about artificial insemination
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

please, tell me more

Aiye!
Though controversial, cloning actually hold great therapeutic prospects. The noble prize in 2012 was awarded to Japanese Scientist Yamanaka for programming pluripotent stem cells. These are used in therapeutic cloning for regenerative medicine.

Ethically, there probably hasn't been sufficient justification for legalization of reproductive cloning.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 12, 2017
jmichlins:

I suggest you honestly read up on Cloning. It won't be abolished. There can only be bio-ethical laws and legislation to check mate certain cloning practices globally within regulatory limits.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by jmichlins(m): 9:54pm On Apr 12, 2017
Akdegreat:

I suggest you honestly read up on Cloning. It won't be abolished. There can only be bio-ethical laws and legislation to check mate certain cloning practices globally within regulatory limits.
I will definitely but talking about ethics and laws, I will pass cause even the simplest law of traffic, westill want to beat it
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by zionmade(m): 10:00pm On Apr 12, 2017
jmichlins:
lols. Is it because they didn't come from your grandparents Adam and eve. What do you have to say about artificial insemination
Sorry to disappoint u. I dnt attach religion to everything.
Cloning wont produce humans. Artificial insemination is a different case
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by CatfishBilly: 10:08pm On Apr 12, 2017
When you guys are ready, I'll join.
Nothing scientific in the comments, just people bringing their religious bias and ideas they got from movies to something as beautiful as cloning.
When y'all are ready, I'll make my contributions.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 12, 2017
CatfishBilly:
When you guys are ready, I'll join.
Nothing scientific in the comments, just people bringing their religious bias and ideas they got from movies to something as beautiful as cloning.
When y'all are ready, I'll make my contributions.
I noticed that as well,but few peeps above have aired their opinions, you could likewise share yours ignoring those attaching religious sentiments
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by buffalowings: 11:56pm On Apr 12, 2017
Akdegreat:

I hope you understand.
to add to this
cloning in humans is done to produce certain cell lines
in effect creating new organs that can then be used as donors

cloning isn't illegal
some people just had a gripe with using discarded fetuses
but scientists have found a way around that.

they could just take some genetic materials from you and 'fertilize' it.
Re: Should Cloning Be Legal - Debate On Cloning by buffalowings: 12:02am On Apr 13, 2017
jmichlins:

yeah it should be abolished

when it is been used to cure certain blood cancers (lymphomas)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Fig Tree Parable, COVID 19 And The Imminent Return Of Jesus / 2023. Armageddon. Fall Of USA. Emergence Of The Messiah / Is Literal Bible Belief Possible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.