Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make (4989 Views)

6 Blogging Mistakes To Avoid / 7 Biggest Blogging Mistakes Beginner Bloggers Must Avoid / 9 Common Blogging Mistakes That Waste Your Audience’s Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by kingvectorv(m): 12:04am On Apr 13, 2017
1. Idea generation in the wrong direction.
You can have the spark of an idea at any time of day. Whether you are driving, or watching movies, or speaking with your boss, an innovative blogging topic may hit you. But that does not ensure success. An innovative idea only has the proper implication when it perfectly merges with your business and/or brand proposition.
Always Let your blog serve your company goals.

2. Your writing style is very stiff.
Blog writing is not like book writing or research paper composition. At the initial stage, you may be very confused by the writing patterns. You must be aware of the fact that your blog is the solution to the problems that people are searching for online. If the writing style is very stiff, people cannot enjoy reading it.

3. You think people care about your idea.
I know this sounds rude, but it’s the truth. If you think that people are interested in what you have to say, you are wrong. Until you can create your brand, they don’t care about your content. Your readers only search for their queries, and they are only interested in the value they are earning.
So Reflect your personality in your writing.

4. Don’t write about broad topics.
At the beginning of your career as a business blogger, you may have chosen broad topics:
How To Make Money Online
How To Start Blogging
Social Media Best Practices

It’s going to be difficult for you to really dive deep into these topics, especially if you’re only starting out yourself. If you do not also cover the minute details, your content quality will be very diluted. Don’t choose broad content ideas for a business blog.

5. You are not using exact data.
If you need to make an argument, you’ll need context. The validity of your point must be more credible, and that cannot be possible without sufficient data.
For example:
People are using Instagram more nowadays. In the U.S., Instagram usage is supposed to grow 10.6% this year, compared to the 3.1% growth of the social network sector.
Data-driven contentis much more useful to root the trustworthiness of the points you discuss.
Therefore Use data and research to back up your argument.
To get reliable data, you must go through research papers and find out key data points to support your arguments. This data must be relevant to your content, and readers must be enriched by this data.

6. You are careless about plagiarism.
After the Panda update, thin or duplicate content has been penalized heavily. Plagiarism was never rewarded in school, and it won’t be rewarded for a business blog.
Many bloggers who imagine escaping with a copy/paste process don’t know that Google bots are highly alert. They will heavily penalize your blog and rank it down in the organic search engine listings.
So Learn to cite your sources.
Sometimes you have to refer to other content or stats to enrich the content’s logic in your business blog. You should learn how to cite content from another source on your site.
Things to do:
Quote the original author.
Give the credit for their idea.
Mention the source.
It is not at all super complicated. You just need to practice the process.

7. You forget to revise.
After writing a piece of content, most bloggers just publish it.No! You need to read it again.
Edit the content once more after writing.
After writing content, invest 30 minutes more in editing that content. It will clean your piece from grammatical and sentence construction errors. You must fix the typos and check the flow of the content.
What you need to check:
Topic selection
Article structure
Copy editing
Supporting elements
Title selection
SEO friendliness

8. You are not consistent.
You perhaps already know that the more frequently you update your content, the more visits you will receive.
This consistency matters a lot. If you have updated five blogs in a week, the next week the number cannot go down to one or two. It will confuse your readers.
You must make writing your blog a consistent habit. You have to plan your content in advance by making sure it is consistent with your marketing strategy.

9. You are writing the wrong thing.
Bloggers, beginners or pros, are very conscious about traffic. After the initial spike that comes from publishing new content is over, many bloggers start to wonder why that traffic is not steady.
It is very natural for you to lose hope when you find that your old blog contentis not aggressive enough to draw in more traffic.
Focus on the cumulative potential of organic traffic.
Rather than focusing on the short-term traffic, you must focus on the potential organic traffic of the future. Your content selection must focus on evergree n content.
This will generate long-term traffic. This will help even out the spikes.

Learn from the mistakes of many business bloggers before you and start running your business blog with the right content, the right schedule, and the right attitude.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by kingvectorv(m): 12:04am On Apr 13, 2017
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by YukHub: 6:34am On Apr 25, 2017
wink
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by nony43(m): 6:57am On Apr 25, 2017
Bloggers oya o, I don't know why blog related issues have the lowest number of comments.
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by 9jayes: 6:57am On Apr 25, 2017
YukHub:
wink
people don't like to comment on blog issues except we bloggers why?
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by Divinals: 6:58am On Apr 25, 2017
Good one

Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by monaPhilz: 6:58am On Apr 25, 2017
Nice one
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by seunlly(m): 7:00am On Apr 25, 2017
op how can I become a blogger
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by Praizvictor(m): 7:02am On Apr 25, 2017
Rich People Make More Money Because they have multiple streams of income..
How Many Streams Of Income do you have and How Many are You willing to have?

Join Our Online Business Seminar on Making Money from the Web with proofs and all necessary guidelines..

*No Calls, WhatsApp Only*
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by rekeson: 7:05am On Apr 25, 2017
Is blogging still profitable? Cos I am thinking of going into it fully...

Plus if I chose to make plagiarism my calling, maybe by constantly plagiarizing an authority or established blog, will I still manage to make some cash?

And b4 u even ask, yes I am in it for just d pay and not born out of passion...

1 Like

Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by godunia(m): 7:08am On Apr 25, 2017
It's not ponzi scheme or sex, while should people comment on post that is blog related.
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by Benjom(m): 7:10am On Apr 25, 2017
Thanks OP. Learned one or two things here.
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by GloriaSabipeepz(m): 7:16am On Apr 25, 2017
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by ednut1(m): 7:23am On Apr 25, 2017
Mr op why u never blow den
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by Zethag(m): 7:33am On Apr 25, 2017
i realy think everything in this post is true it i have made that many of those mistakes before correcting them was the best thing i have ever done though this post will help me further. choose a blog niche
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by vanemciver(f): 8:11am On Apr 25, 2017
kingvectorv:
1. Idea generation in the wrong direction.
You can have the spark of an idea at any time of day. Whether you are driving, or watching movies, or speaking with your boss, an innovative blogging topic may hit you. But that does not ensure success. An innovative idea only has the proper implication when it perfectly merges with your business and/or brand proposition.
Always Let your blog serve your company goals.

2. Your writing style is very stiff.
Blog writing is not like book writing or research paper composition. At the initial stage, you may be very confused by the writing patterns. You must be aware of the fact that your blog is the solution to the problems that people are searching for online. If the writing style is very stiff, people cannot enjoy reading it.

3. You think people care about your idea.
I know this sounds rude, but it’s the truth. If you think that people are interested in what you have to say, you are wrong. Until you can create your brand, they don’t care about your content. Your readers only search for their queries, and they are only interested in the value they are earning.
So Reflect your personality in your writing.

4. Don’t write about broad topics.
At the beginning of your career as a business blogger, you may have chosen broad topics:
How To Make Money Online
How To Start Blogging
Social Media Best Practices

It’s going to be difficult for you to really dive deep into these topics, especially if you’re only starting out yourself. If you do not also cover the minute details, your content quality will be very diluted. Don’t choose broad content ideas for a business blog.

5. You are not using exact data.
If you need to make an argument, you’ll need context. The validity of your point must be more credible, and that cannot be possible without sufficient data.
For example:
People are using Instagram more nowadays. In the U.S., Instagram usage is supposed to grow 10.6% this year, compared to the 3.1% growth of the social network sector.
Data-driven contentis much more useful to root the trustworthiness of the points you discuss.
Therefore Use data and research to back up your argument.
To get reliable data, you must go through research papers and find out key data points to support your arguments. This data must be relevant to your content, and readers must be enriched by this data.

6. You are careless about plagiarism.
After the Panda update, thin or duplicate content has been penalized heavily. Plagiarism was never rewarded in school, and it won’t be rewarded for a business blog.
Many bloggers who imagine escaping with a copy/paste process don’t know that Google bots are highly alert. They will heavily penalize your blog and rank it down in the organic search engine listings.
So Learn to cite your sources.
Sometimes you have to refer to other content or stats to enrich the content’s logic in your business blog. You should learn how to cite content from another source on your site.
Things to do:
Quote the original author.
Give the credit for their idea.
Mention the source.
It is not at all super complicated. You just need to practice the process.

7. You forget to revise.
After writing a piece of content, most bloggers just publish it.No! You need to read it again.
Edit the content once more after writing.
After writing content, invest 30 minutes more in editing that content. It will clean your piece from grammatical and sentence construction errors. You must fix the typos and check the flow of the content.
What you need to check:
Topic selection
Article structure
Copy editing
Supporting elements
Title selection
SEO friendliness

8. You are not consistent.
You perhaps already know that the more frequently you update your content, the more visits you will receive.
This consistency matters a lot. If you have updated five blogs in a week, the next week the number cannot go down to one or two. It will confuse your readers.
You must make writing your blog a consistent habit. You have to plan your content in advance by making sure it is consistent with your marketing strategy.

9. You are writing the wrong thing.
Bloggers, beginners or pros, are very conscious about traffic. After the initial spike that comes from publishing new content is over, many bloggers start to wonder why that traffic is not steady.
It is very natural for you to lose hope when you find that your old blog contentis not aggressive enough to draw in more traffic.
Focus on the cumulative potential of organic traffic.
Rather than focusing on the short-term traffic, you must focus on the potential organic traffic of the future. Your content selection must focus on evergree n content.
This will generate long-term traffic. This will help even out the spikes.

Learn from the mistakes of many business bloggers before you and start running your business blog with the right content, the right schedule, and the right attitude.

Please, anything about 404 errors and other technical issues concerning blogs/ websites?...Some posts on my website have refused to open after I launched the website on Sunday night. Please do help me out, not sure of what to do.
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by dheespectre: 8:12am On Apr 25, 2017
For your generator power booster, call 0811 9387235
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by kingvectorv(m): 8:39am On Apr 25, 2017
vanemciver:

Please, anything about 404 errors and other technical issues concerning blogs/ websites?...Some posts on my website have refused to open after I launched the website on Sunday night. Please do help me out, not sure of what to do.
What your blog link and what platform are you using.. wordpress or blogger
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by ipreach: 8:40am On Apr 25, 2017
ok
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by ipreach: 8:41am On Apr 25, 2017
seunlly:

Contact me. my number is below getcheapblog..com.ng/
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by kingvectorv(m): 8:44am On Apr 25, 2017
seunlly:
To be a blogger you have to be ready to dedicate your time and energy to your blog. Then choose your niche you want to blog on, get a laptop and then you create your blog. You can use either blogger or wordpress Platform
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by Acebot(m): 9:23am On Apr 25, 2017
It's true I should learn them
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by vinotinto5: 11:26am On Apr 25, 2017
Have you come across the BEST HEALTH SITE in Nigeria? https://naturesgist.com/ . They are certainly the best to me. I came across it via Google and I got the information I needed. I used that opportunity to go through some of their articles, and I saw that they are all unique, comprehensive and amazing. These are kinds of sites I love. If the owners are reading this now, Please I will say GOOD STUFF!!!!! You guys make us proud...
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by seunlly(m): 12:02pm On Apr 25, 2017
kingvectorv:
To be a blogger you have to be ready to dedicate your time and energy to your blog. Then choose your niche you want to blog on, get a laptop and then you create your blog. You can use either blogger or wordpress Platform
zo if I don't have a laptop I can't become a blogger....
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by seunlly(m): 12:08pm On Apr 25, 2017
ipreach:

Contact me. my number is below getcheapblog..com.ng/
I can't get your no
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by kingvectorv(m): 12:37pm On Apr 25, 2017
seunlly:
zo if I don't have a laptop I can't become a blogger....
Blogging with a PC Or Laptop is more easy than using a phone
Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by ipreach: 1:02pm On Apr 25, 2017
seunlly:
I can't get your no

Check my signature

Re: 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make by seunlly(m): 1:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
kingvectorv:
Blogging with a PC Or Laptop is more easy than using a phone
Buh phone iz an option right....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any One Here To Help Me Take Down A Website / Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? / Naija Or Nigerian, Which Is Better For Domain Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.