Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. (78584 Views)

No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? / Lady Burns Her Wedding Dress As She Leaves Her Marriage In Style (photos) / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Jchi9876: 6:59am On Apr 14, 2017
CzarChris:
My apologies for bamboozling you with my English, I didn't take your level of education into account when I was posting my reply to your obnoxious comment.
Well, enough of this rubbish, seeing that your level of comprehension is slower than that of a sloth. It's a pain trying to put some sense into you.

Anuofia.

Anu mkpi you be dictionary for your okoko mind but shishi no dey your bank account

Any mkpi
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Donald7610: 9:10am On Apr 14, 2017
Blissquare:
Thanks for the education. If I am seperated from my first husband because of physical and emotional abuse that I can prove, does he hav a right to remarry after 3yrs? He made me leave but I don't want him to remarry.
Yes you can remarry as you want
But no registry should be involve
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by aariwa(m): 11:35am On Apr 14, 2017
Enlightening article
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 14, 2017
Blissquare:
Thanks for the education. If I am seperated from my first husband because of physical and emotional abuse that I can prove, does he hav a right to remarry after 3yrs? He made me leave but I don't want him to remarry.

This is a case of monitoring spirits in human form. They wont die and allow someone rest, neither will they move on and find peace and joy elsewhere.
May God save us from this kind of spirit in human form

8 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by oodua1stson: 12:52pm On Apr 14, 2017
Good post. But is there a way to annul a marriage. Not divorce. I mean ti annul it like it never happened

Who has an aswear to this abeg

2 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by oodua1stson: 12:53pm On Apr 14, 2017
alexialin:

This is a case of monitoring spirits in human form. They wont die and allow someone rest, neither will they move on and find peace and joy elsewhere.
May God save us from this kind of spirit in human form
grin cheesy grin cheesy same with my mumu wife oooo.she left on her own and now calling me t ask about the girls swarming around me

2 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 14, 2017
oodua1stson:
grin cheesy grin cheesy same with my mumu wife oooo.she left on her own and now calling me t ask about the girls swarming around me

She's not serious.. She better move on and live her life.
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Mathemagician1(m): 1:29pm On Apr 14, 2017
Mathemagician1:
Thank you veragistonline for this beautiful post. I will like for you to share some more and I have some questions too.

If I live in USA and I return to marry a Nigerian wife under Nigerian marriage laws and we both move back to USA. Will I be required to conform to US laws which gives my wife legal rights to a certain percentage of my property in case of a divorce? 

Will American law supersede Nigerian law if the divorce is filed in US court or will the court reject it?

Do I have any stand at all if we don't have a prenuptial agreement? Please enlighten me.

Your help in this regard will be hightly appreciated. Thanks in advance.‎

Dear veragistonline and other lawyers in the house please help answer the questions raised above.
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Lokoyen(m): 2:25pm On Apr 14, 2017
Xieno:

No dear.
Even the registry in the smallest village is recognized outside the shores of Nigeria.
My sister was almost deceived to do her wedding at Ikoyi if not for the early intervention of a solicitor.
They finally wedded in my village registry last November, and applied for visa which was given to her in January.

Exactly my thought too. I don't know the hype about the Ikoyi registry. Anyways i had mine in registered church and got registry certificate.

Thanks for your response am now relieved. God bless

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Xieno(f): 5:52pm On Apr 14, 2017
Lokoyen:

Exactly my thought too. I don't know the hype about the Ikoyi registry. Anyways i had mine in registered church and got registry certificate.

Thanks for your response am now relieved. God bless

It's over hyped I must say..
No problem dear, I'm glad to be of help.

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 14, 2017
olugere:

If your certificate has green band down the it and they wrote intergovernmental marriage stuff on it, it is fake and it is local government. The heading must not carry federal republic of Nigeria, but federal ministry of interior and it must be white all through without any green band at the bottom

can someone explain this better... lawyers in the house please
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by quintybabe(f): 7:02am On Apr 15, 2017
Mine is a simply question and anyone who has correct information should please respond to this
IS STATUTORY MARRIAGE IN NIGERIA WITH PARENTAL CONSENT OR NOT. Must it be with the consent of parents of the couple or not necessarily? Thanks

3 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by ademasta(m): 9:43am On Apr 15, 2017
Ok
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by inno1love(m): 5:42pm On Jun 02, 2017
veragistonline:
First of all, there is nothing like court marriage. That's a popular misconception. What we have is 'Registry Marriage' or 'Marriage under the Act'.

The court is not conferred with the power to conduct or celebrate marriages. They don't have the right to 'wed' or 'join together' anyone. The court only has the power to do the following; dissolution of marriage (e.g divorce, legal separation), issues of settlement or other legal remedies in and out of marriage. The proper place for the celebration of marriage is a Registry or a Licensed place of Worship.

Paragraph 1.

1.1. In Nigeria, we have two kinds of recognised marriages; (1) customary marriage (this includes the Islamic Marriage) and (2) Statutory Marriage (not white wedding). I will explain this as we go on.

1.2. A traditional marriage is not necessarily a customary marriage. A customary marriage is a complete marriage procedure by itself especially if you have no intention of getting married statutorily. The customs, practices and traditions of (both parties) governs such solely and nothing more. ‎A traditional marriage especially in Nigeria simply pays allegiance to traditions and practices without being bound by such laws once a statutory marriage is done. It is an example of 'give unto ceaser what belongs to ceaser'.‎

1.3. A statutory marriage overrides a customary(traditional) marriage. This means, you can either wed customarily or statutorily and if you do both, the Statutory Marriage backed by 'The Marriage Act' completely cancels the other. It can be argued that in a deeply cultural/communal place like Nigeria, sometimes parties for the sake of peace, or just to fulfil family obligations and to pay obeisance to traditional rites, conduct a traditional (a variation of a customary marriage) before conducting a statutory marriage.

1.4. (it is pertinent to note here that the Registries/licensed place of worship don't need proof of a traditional marriage celebration before joining parties together under the Act) To be legally married, you don't need to fulfil any traditional obligation. The law does not recognise or make demands for such because it amounts to writing same examination two times for just one course when one is all you need.

Paragraph 2.

2.1. The Marriage Act governs statutory marriage in Nigeria. That's why it is simply referred to as Marriage under the Act. A statutory marriage has the flavour of the law and recognises just one man married to one woman. Meaning, if Polygamy is your aim and your religion or culture does not frown at more than one wife, then there is no need of conducting 'a registy marriage' or a marriage under the Act. This is the major difference between a statutory and a customary marriage. The law defines marriage as between just two people, one man and one woman. Nothing more.‎

Paragraph 3.

3.1. A statutory marriage can be celebrated in either of these two places;
1. A registry OR
2. A licensed place of worship. (e.g a church)

3.2. A 'church' wedding does not confer any legal status on a marriage if such church is not licensed or if the license has been revoked by law. We usually mistake a church wedding for a 'statutory marriage' and that's very far from the reality. A church marriage that does not comply with the processes as stipulated by the Act can best be described as a party. I always love to tell my friends to ensure that their worship centres are licensed and if it isn't, head to the nearest registry or LG headquarters to be joined by a Registrar.

3.3. Something else, let's take for instance I own a church, registered under Part C of CAMA and it is called Hallelujah Ministry, and I have about 449 branches, it should not be assumed that all 449 branches are licenced places of worship for the purpose of celebration of Marriages. Issues of licence are very specific. Licence is not blanket. It is possible that my branch at Ikorodu is licensed while my branch at Nnewi, isn’t. Governors of states by a gazette can confer or revoke licences on worship centres. A church being registered under CAMA does not necessarily make it licensed.‎

Paragraph 4.‎

4.1. The statutory marriage is conducted by a Registrar OR a Minister of a licensed place of worship. Emphasis on LICENSED. This means that if you were legally joined together by a Registrar, there is actually no need for a Minister(your pastor, reverend, bishop, apostle, spiritual leader etc) to do same again. Vice versa. Celebrating in these two places can at best be 'duplicity'. But I also understand the need especially in a religious society like ours to want a church to 'bless' your marriage even after a registry celebration. But note, one is enough and okay.

Note: two things must be in place especially, a licensed place and a licensed person to perform the celebration.

Further Note: something played out in court last year and this line of question redirected me back to the Act. The only recognised time to be joined together legally is from the hours of 8am to 6pm. Anything after has a cloud of uncertainty. Sometimes very little things like this go a very long in making or marring a case.‎‎

4.2. The importance of being legally joined together plays out in the following circumstances;

(a) when parties want to go their separate ways e.g. divorce, separate or remarry. And this is where a couple of people I've spoken usually have an issue. I've heard a man being advised not to do a 'court marriage' because his wife will take all of his properties away. Actually, that's very far from the truth and reality. The court in Nigeria is not vested with such powers. Issues of compensation comes up when there are children to support, joint properties to split, promises, financial debts by one party, agreed compensation by both parties etc. No one strips you of your properties because you did a registry marriage.‎ This is one misconception that fuels suspicion if a lady insists on a statutory marriage.

(b) death of one party and issues of estate administration. If a person dies, his properties will be administered based on two things, his/her or will or if he had no will the governing law upon which he was legally subjected in marriage. Marrying under the Act makes your estate administered by the law of your states and not the customs or traditions of your place. This is always very dependable because on order of priority, your family is well catered to and it minimises conflicts & problems amongst your loved ones. (another post entirely)‎‎

(c) if a party wants to conduct another marriage, being legally joined together estopps such from happening. In fact, it even makes it criminal. If your marriage was not 'legally' recognised under the Acts, nothing stops him/her from marrying another person while you're still together. An act provides marital security especially from 'wandering-proned' spouses.‎

(d) if one party is indicted in a criminal or civil matter. A legally recognised marriage protects the right of a wife or husband not to give evidence or testify against the other spouse. But such covering doesn't exist if such marriage was not properly celebrated as provided by the law.

(e) other legal benefits that may accrue by law e.g. medical covering and insurance from your spouse's place of work, care packages accruing from services rendered by a spouse, disability benefits, social security, issues of insurance etc. A legally recognised spouse can reap spousal benefits that may be provided for by private or public institutions. This extends even to the children.‎ This does not apply if parties are not 'legally' joined.

(f) purposes of foreign travel, immigration etc. E.g. If you want to marry a Nigerian and relocate her to your country, only a statutory marriage will cover for that. The processes only recognise a Marriage conducted under the Act. This is just one out of the many examples in issues of immigration etc.
(many more to come)‎

4.3 A marriage not properly celebrated is seen by the law as null and void. It means it may as well not exist.

4.4. Currently, all Local Government Areas have Registries and Registrars to conduct and celebrate marriages. So wherever you are in Nigeria, you are covered. The process is the same anywhere.

Paragraph 5.

5.1. Conducting/celebrating a statutory marriage has the same uniform procedure whether in a registry or a licensed place of worship. To avoid making this cumbersome, I'll put up a link to the Marriage Act but also talk to your lawyer to guide you through. ‎Also, you can make findings in your local registry or place of worship about these processes and be mindful that it complies with the provision of the Act.‎

Note: It is the simplest, cheapest, easy to fund/celebrate form of marriage in Nigeria, especially in these time of economic unsettling.

5.2. Any question or observation can be raised or discussed here or with lawyers around you. I will also share in the comments, legal authorities backing the above summation.

-Barr. Enwongo Cleopas.

Source: http://veragist.com/enwongos-point-of-view/court-marriage-nigeria-enwongos-point-view-episode-5-veragist/

Please I like to ask, For a divorce proceeding, must it be instituted at the same local government or state the where the registry marriage took place? I will appreciate a response.
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by chrisj2(m): 6:18pm On Jun 02, 2017
How quickly can a registry wedding be done? Does one need to apply first and then get a date booked and how quickly?

I am thinking of Shagamu or Abeokuta or even Ikenne... Can it be done in 3 weeks; thinking of going to Nja and doing one and getting out. Good intentions, mind!
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by dataideas: 2:01am On Nov 03, 2017
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by spiralwedge(m): 11:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
chrisj2:
How quickly can a registry wedding be done? Does one need to apply first and then get a date booked and how quickly?

I am thinking of Shagamu or Abeokuta or even Ikenne... Can it be done in 3 weeks; thinking of going to Nja and doing one and getting out. Good intentions, mind!

A notice can be filed on your behalf. Usually 21 days. But i understand there are accelerated notices, which of course dances to the tune of 'ego'
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by FaithNona(f): 11:43am On Jan 11, 2018
Hello fellow naira-lander. my name is Faith Nona, i'm a jumia Agent/consultant. Its a new year and we want new things and JUMIA is the best place to get authentic products at the cheapest price�, You can place any order(gadgets, electronics, fashion items, etc) through me and get your orders at your door step regardless of your location.
It's easy and simple all you need to do is tell me what you need while i go through the stress of placing the order. You might ask yourself why should i place my order through an agent when i can do it myself, it's quite risky. I will give you reasons why you should place an order through an agent;
(1) As an agent i can help you track your order and make sure it's in good condition when it arrives
(2) If the item delivered to you isn't in good shape within 7days of usage i can help you return it and it can either be changed or your money will be refunded
(3) when You place your orders through me you get as much as 50% discount off shipping on every item you purchase
(4) I can also help with hotel and flight bookings(international or local)online; which is very affordable and stress free for your vacations and business trips, let me help you avoid the stress.
In years of experience i have placed orders for people i never came in contact with, therefore my integrity is confirmed.
So dear, it is this simple; you contact me, tell me what you want to purchase, I place the order, monitor your order until it gets to you, you collect it, pay and we all smile��
NEW YEAR, NEW YOU, NEW LIFE. purchase now.
just contact me via;
whatsapp> 08178536227
Facebook> Faith Nona
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by samhay: 5:38pm On Jan 29, 2018
olugere:

If your certificate has green band down the it and they wrote intergovernmental marriage stuff on it, it is fake and it is local government. The heading must not carry federal republic of Nigeria, but federal ministry of interior and it must be white all through without any green band at the bottom

Sent u pm please
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Puzzypleazer: 6:17am On May 07, 2018
Blissquare:
whats the situation now
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Puzzypleazer: 6:18am On May 07, 2018
I am inviting my fiancee From Singapore to get married here. Can someone please give me guidelines
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Puzzypleazer: 6:19am On May 07, 2018
olugere:

I am inviting my fiancee From Singapore to get married here. Can U please give me guidelines
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Nobody: 6:08pm On May 11, 2018
Go to federal marriage registry ikoyi simple, 36k

Puzzypleazer:

I am inviting my fiancee From Singapore to get married here. Can U please give me guidelines
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Nkc22: 1:12pm On May 21, 2018
Going through the tread and seeing lots of questions left unanswered...

The answers to those questions could have even provided more insight to the topic being discussed.

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by cabasaa03(m): 10:18am On Oct 14, 2018
Any lawyer in the house please ?

urgent help on this matter please .

My friend want to marry a lady quietly that was separated from her previous husband for the period of 5 years and they did court registry wedding.

Can she proceed with another wedding with the new husband in another registry in Nigeria
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Eketem: 10:30am On Oct 14, 2018
cabasaa03:

My friend want to marry a lady quietly that was separated from her previous husband for the period of 5 years and they did court registry wedding.

Can she proceed with another wedding with the new husband in another registry in Nigeria

That will be bigamy, a crime. She needs to formally divorce in court

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by Teezzbond: 12:27pm On Oct 14, 2018
cabasaa03:

Im a lawyer. No she can't. The separation is enough to ground a divorce but until a court has divorced them, she stays married to the first husband.
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by dallenk(m): 10:02am On Feb 28, 2019
This is so so educative. But there was a question from a guy which I would have loved to learn from the answer and the question was:

If he marries here and move to USA with his wife, then latter issie arrises that demandes file for divorse, would USA Marrital law overrides Nigeria Law where he marrie? He was particular about this because of the property sharing...

Ans pls. I want to learn from that too after the interpritation.
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by spagiiagi: 10:06am On May 05, 2019
[quote author=veragistonline post=55528225]First of all, there is nothing like court marriage. That's a popular misconception. What we have is 'Registry Marriage' or 'Marriage under the Act'.

The court is not conferred with the power to conduct or celebrate marriages. They don't have the right to 'wed' or 'join together' anyone. The court only has the power to do the following; dissolution of marriage (e.g divorce, legal separation), issues of settlement or other legal remedies in and out of marriage. The proper place for the celebration of marriage is a Registry or a Licensed place of Worship.

Paragraph 1.

1.1. In Nigeria, we have two kinds of recognised marriages; (1) customary marriage (this includes the Islamic Marriage) and (2) Statutory Marriage (not white wedding). I will explain this as we go on.

1.2. A traditional marriage is not necessarily a customary marriage. A customary marriage is a complete marriage procedure by itself especially if you have no intention of getting married statutorily. The customs, practices and traditions of (both parties) governs such solely and nothing more. ‎A traditional marriage especially in Nigeria simply pays allegiance to traditions and practices without being bound by such laws once a statutory marriage is done. It is an example of 'give unto ceaser what belongs to ceaser'.‎

1.3. A statutory marriage overrides a customary(traditional) marriage. This means, you can either wed customarily or statutorily and if you do both, the Statutory Marriage backed by 'The Marriage Act' completely cancels the other. It can be argued that in a deeply cultural/communal place like Nigeria, sometimes parties for the sake of peace, or just to fulfil family obligations and to pay obeisance to traditional rites, conduct a traditional (a variation of a customary marriage) before conducting a statutory marriage.

1.4. (it is pertinent to note here that the Registries/licensed place of worship don't need proof of a traditional marriage celebration before joining parties together under the Act) To be legally married, you don't need to fulfil any traditional obligation. The law does not recognise or make demands for such because it amounts to writing same examination two times for just one course when one is all you need.

Paragraph 2.

2.1. The Marriage Act governs statutory marriage in Nigeria. That's why it is simply referred to as Marriage under the Act. A statutory marriage has the flavour of the law and recognises just one man married to one woman. Meaning, if Polygamy is your aim and your religion or culture does not frown at more than one wife, then there is no need of conducting 'a registy marriage' or a marriage under the Act. This is the major difference between a statutory and a customary marriage. The law defines marriage as between just two people, one man and one woman. Nothing more.‎

Paragraph 3.

3.1. A statutory marriage can be celebrated in either of these two places;
1. A registry OR
2. A licensed place of worship. (e.g a church)

3.2. A 'church' wedding does not confer any legal status on a marriage if such church is not licensed or if the license has been revoked by law. We usually mistake a church wedding for a 'statutory marriage' and that's very far from the reality. A church marriage that does not comply with the processes as stipulated by the Act can best be described as a party. I always love to tell my friends to ensure that their worship centres are licensed and if it isn't, head to the nearest registry or LG headquarters to be joined by a Registrar.

3.3. Something else, let's take for instance I own a church, registered under Part C of CAMA and it is called Hallelujah Ministry, and I have about 449 branches, it should not be assumed that all 449 branches are licenced places of worship for the purpose of celebration of Marriages. Issues of licence are very specific. Licence is not blanket. It is possible that my branch at Ikorodu is licensed while my branch at Nnewi, isn’t. Governors of states by a gazette can confer or revoke licences on worship centres. A church being registered under CAMA does not necessarily make it licensed.‎

Paragraph 4.‎

4.1. The statutory marriage is conducted by a Registrar OR a Minister of a licensed place of worship. Emphasis on LICENSED. This means that if you were legally joined together by a Registrar, there is actually no need for a Minister(your pastor, reverend, bishop, apostle, spiritual leader etc) to do same again. Vice versa. Celebrating in these two places can at best be 'duplicity'. But I also understand the need especially in a religious society like ours to want a church to 'bless' your marriage even after a registry celebration. But note, one is enough and okay.

Note: two things must be in place especially, a licensed place and a licensed person to perform the celebration.

Further Note: something played out in court last year and this line of question redirected me back to the Act. The only recognised time to be joined together legally is from the hours of 8am to 6pm. Anything after has a cloud of uncertainty. Sometimes very little things like this go a very long in making or marring a case.‎‎

4.2. The importance of being legally joined together plays out in the following circumstances;

(a) when parties want to go their separate ways e.g. divorce, separate or remarry. And this is where a couple of people I've spoken usually have an issue. I've heard a man being advised not to do a 'court marriage' because his wife will take all of his properties away. Actually, that's very far from the truth and reality. The court in Nigeria is not vested with such powers. Issues of compensation comes up when there are children to support, joint properties to split, promises, financial debts by one party, agreed compensation by both parties etc. No one strips you of your properties because you did a registry marriage.‎ This is one misconception that fuels suspicion if a lady insists on a statutory marriage.

(b) death of one party and issues of estate administration. If a person dies, his properties will be administered based on two things, his/her or will or if he had no will the governing law upon which he was legally subjected in marriage. Marrying under the Act makes your estate administered by the law of your states and not the customs or traditions of your place. This is always very dependable because on order of priority, your family is well catered to and it minimises conflicts & problems amongst your loved ones. (another post entirely)‎‎

(c) if a party wants to conduct another marriage, being legally joined together estopps such from happening. In fact, it even makes it criminal. If your marriage was not 'legally' recognised under the Acts, nothing stops him/her from marrying another person while you're still together. An act provides marital security especially from 'wandering-proned' spouses.‎

(d) if one party is indicted in a criminal or civil matter. A legally recognised marriage protects the right of a wife or husband not to give evidence or testify against the other spouse. But such covering doesn't exist if such marriage was not properly celebrated as provided by the law.

(e) other legal benefits that may accrue by law e.g. medical covering and insurance from your spouse's place of work, care packages accruing from services rendered by a spouse, disability benefits, social security, issues of insurance etc. A legally recognised spouse can reap spousal benefits that may be provided for by private or public institutions. This extends even to the children.‎ This does not apply if parties are not 'legally' joined.

(f) purposes of foreign travel, immigration etc. E.g. If you want to marry a Nigerian and relocate her to your country, only a statutory marriage will cover for that. The processes only recognise a Marriage conducted under the Act. This is just one out of the many examples in issues of immigration etc.
(many more to come)‎

4.3 A marriage not properly celebrated is seen by the law as null and void. It means it may as well not exist.

4.4. Currently, all Local Government Areas have Registries and Registrars to conduct and celebrate marriages. So wherever you are in Nigeria, you are covered. The process is the same anywhere.

Paragraph 5.

5.1. Conducting/celebrating a statutory marriage has the same uniform procedure whether in a registry or a licensed place of worship. To avoid making this cumbersome, I'll put up a link to the Marriage Act but also talk to your lawyer to guide you through. ‎Also, you can make findings in your local registry or place of worship about these processes and be mindful that it complies with the provision of the Act.‎

Note: It is the simplest, cheapest, easy to fund/celebrate form of marriage in Nigeria, especially in these time of economic unsettling.

5.2. Any question or observation can be raised or discussed here or with lawyers around you. I will also share in the comments, legal authorities backing the above summation.

-Barr. Enwongo Cleopas.

Source: http://veragist.com/enwongos-point-of-view/court-marriage-nigeria-enwongos-point-view-episode-5-veragist/

Thank you for this very important information, but please i will like to know the process involve in having a small reception party after a wedding where on can invite some family and friends just like the reception party after a church wedding...
i actually plan on having a registry wedding/marriage at Ikoyi registry but will like to have small reception for some selected friends and family members. thank you
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by kayusely70(m): 3:46am On Dec 07, 2019
What are the steps to take in seeking separation and divorce of a long-term statutory marriage.
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by realtalk19: 6:51am On Dec 07, 2019
If the evidence of the court register(marriage certificate) was destroyed and can't be retrieved and the marriage itself has broken up for 3 yrs and have gone their separate ways ,can they marry another person later on?
Re: All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. by ibietela2(m): 1:34pm On Dec 16, 2019
Who is answering the questions please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Story Of James Mwaura, Kenyan Man Who Returned Home After 47 Years / Family Problems About Remarrying / HILARIOUS: Man Discovers Wife Is A Man After 19 Years Of Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.