Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,786 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? (948 Views)

Sigma Box With 9 Cables Plus Sigma Pack 123 Activation / 10 Awsome Uses Of OTG Cables With Pictures - No. 3 & 5 Will Amaze You / 7 Uses Of OTG Cables On Android And Tablets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 5:35pm On Apr 14, 2017
Why do Apple's proprietary cables break so often or so easily?

This is what a reddit user who once worked at Apple said;

I used to work for Apple and interfaced with every division in the company, and I know EXACTLY why this happened. It has nothing to do with trying to get customers to buy more replacement adapters, but rather with the hierarchy of power at Apple.

But before I go into this, let me explain the engineering of a power cable. If you look at a power adapter cable for any non-Apple product, you'll notice some plastic "rings" where the plug transitions to the cable. These rings are called a strain relief. The purpose of a strain relief is to prevent the cable from bending at a severe angle if you bend the cable at the base. The strain relief allows the cable to have a nice, gentle curvature if you tweak the cable instead of bending at a severe 90 degree angle. This gentle curvature prevents the cable from being broken through repeated use.

Now let's look at the hierarchy of power at Apple. As with any company, Apple consists of many divisions (Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, etc.) THE most powerful division at Apple is Industrial Design. For those of you unfamiliar with the term industrial design, this is the division that makes the decisions about the overall look and feel of Apple's products. And when I say "the most powerful", I mean that their decisions trump the decisions of any other division at Apple, including Engineering and Customer Service.

Now it just so happens that the Industrial Design department HATES how a strain relief looks on a power adapter. They would much prefer to have a nice clean transition between the cable and the plug. Aesthetically, this does look nicer, but from an engineering point of view, it's pretty much committing reliability suicide. Because there is no strain relief, the cables fail at a very high rate because they get bent at very harsh angles. I'm sure that the Engineering division gave every reason in the world why a strain relief should be on an adapter cable, and Customer Service said how bad the customer experience would be if tons of adapters failed, but if industrial design doesn't like a strain relief, guess what, it gets removed.

Thanks for reading.
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 5:36pm On Apr 14, 2017
So if you are tired of buying new iPhone cables all the time, then it's time to think Anker. Brand new Anker 3ft lightning cable cost just ₦5,000. 6ft cost just ₦8,000

Suntemi Tech
Copia Plaza,
3, Idowu Lane, Off Kodesoh Street,
Computer Village,
Ikeja.

suntemi@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 8:52am On Jul 30, 2017
We sell Anker cables, powerbanks, USB car charger etc

Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 8:54am On Jul 30, 2017
15,600mAh Anker powerbank

Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by FrancisAdl(m): 3:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
Suntemi:
We sell Anker cables, powerbanks, USB car charger etc

Kindly send prices for anker car chargers with quick charge 3.0 compatibility?
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 11:35pm On Aug 21, 2017
FrancisAdl:

Kindly send prices for anker car chargers with quick charge 3.0 compatibility?

This is the type we currently have in stock

Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Billyzone4: 11:40pm On Aug 21, 2017
Suntemi:

This is the type we currently have in stock
Pls do you have the anker 26300 power bank with Qc and anker power ports with Qc also
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 11:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
Billyzone4:
Pls do you have the anker 26300 power bank with Qc and anker power ports with Qc also

At the moment, no sir. However, we do have that of 15,600mAh
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Billyzone4: 11:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
Suntemi:

OK but you do know of the power ports with Qc, a 5-10 port with 2-3 with quick charge 3.0
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Billyzone4: 9:23am On Sep 08, 2017
Suntemi:

pls do you have the anker 26800mah or the 15000mah I need one.

Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Billyzone4: 9:33am On Sep 08, 2017
Suntemi:

Please do you have the anker power core 26800mah or the 15600mah I need one
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 9:45am On Sep 08, 2017
Billyzone4:

Please do you have the anker power core 26800mah or the 15600mah I need one

We have the 15,600mAh sir.

Suntemi Tech, Copia Plaza 3, Idowu Lane, Off Kodesho Street, Ikeja. 08065656796 suntemi@gmail.com
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Billyzone4: 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2017
Suntemi:

Suntemi Tech, Copia Plaza 3, Idowu Lane, Off Kodesho Street, Ikeja. 08065656796 suntemi@gmail.com
does it comes with its adapter and cable
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Billyzone4: 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2017
Suntemi:

does it comes with its adapter and cable Hi
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Rozan10: 7:58pm On Sep 08, 2017
modi....
Re: Why Do Apple's Proprietary Cables Break So Often Or So Easily? by Suntemi(m): 3:24am On Sep 09, 2017
Billyzone4:
does it comes with its adapter and cable Hi

It comes with cable, no adaptor sir

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Gionee Steel 2 Features,cool Phone At A Cheap Price / Which Do You Prefer: Lasting Battery Or Good Camera? / Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.