Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,707 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

"I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! (1022 Views)

Should I Confess That I Poured Hot Water On My Neighbor's Goat? / Fufeyin: I Saw The Death Of Abba Kyari, Prayed About It But It's The Will Of God / Ex-COZA Staff: I Was Raped By Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Niflheim(m): 6:02pm On Apr 14, 2017
FULL STORY:

An evil Catholic priest raped a young boy until he 'prayed he would die' during six months of sickening sexual abuse.

Father Michael Higginbottom, 74, repeatedly raped his victim until the boy finally resorted to being expelled from the seminary school he was attending in a bid to escape the abuse.

The depraved priest has now been locked up for 17 years after a trial at Liverpool Crown Court, reports the Manchester Evening News.

Higginbottom revelled in “cruel, sadistic bullying” at St Joseph’s College, a seminary for prospective priests, in Upholland, near Wigan, the court heard.

He used a strap and cane to punish boys and said he could “make this as easy or as hard” as the victim wanted before carrying out sickening sexual abuse.
The priest and teacher told a crown court jury he did not even remember the boy, who is now in his 50s.

Higginbottom denied committing eight sexual offences in the 1970s.

Defence lawyers for the former priest, suggested the man made up the allegations to try and get financial compensation.

But he was found guilty of committing the offences, which Judge Andrew Menary, QC, said would now all be charged as rape, after a five-day trial.

The court was told the victim deliberately stole a watch to get himself expelled so the abuse would end.

In an emotional statement, he said: “I was subject to physical, sexual and mental abuse at his hands.

“My sexual abuse happened so often I became numb to what was happening.

“I cried so often I believed I could have drowned in my own tears. I used to pray to die.

“There are worse things than death – living with an evil man and being left alone at Upholland.”

He said his education, work and personal life all suffered, he fought anger issues, and struggled to show affection to his wife and children.

The man said he had always provided materially for his family, but added: “A daddy who cannot love is only half a daddy.”

Prosecutors said Higginbottom breached the trust placed in him “in a spectacular and horrific way”, days after the boy joined the college, aged 12 or 13.

David Temkin, prosecuting, said the victim recalled the site as “a cold, dark and forbidding place” and a venue for “mental, physical and sexual abuse”.

The man eventually told a friend who encouraged him to report Higginbottom in 2013, when he told police: “I call that man evil because that is exactly what he was.”

Higginbottom described the allegations as “total lies” and Adam Birkby, defending, suggested the victim made them up to try and get civil compensation.

But the victim told the jury: “No compensation was on my mind – justice was on my mind. I wanted that man to feel as scared as I did at Upholland.”

Mr Birkby said the man made allegations against two other priests, who have since died, and the harm he suffered could not be blamed entirely on his client.

He said Higginbottom lived a “positive life” as a parish priest for 40 years and would struggle in jail as he had Type 2 diabetes, a heart condition and was on medication after a series of mini-strokes.

Judge Andrew Menary, QC, said Higginbottom had a “mean streak” and was responsible for “cruel, sadistic bullying”.

He said: “For a period of about six months in the late 1970s you made a young boy’s life a living hell.

“What you did to him there effectively destroyed the remainder of his childhood and did a good job of destroying any faith he ever had.

“Realistically, at least in his mind, who could he tell?

“He was in a Catholic seminary being abused by a Catholic priest, with parents who were devoted Catholics, who would scarcely believe such abuse was possible.”

Judge Menary ordered Higginbottom to sign on the sex offenders register for life.

He said: “There can be no doubt your victim has been haunted by demons.

“What you did to him has defined his life and will continue to do so long after you have been punished today.

“Your legacy now will only ever be that of a priest who abused a young boy.”

The link:.........................................................................................http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/evil-catholic-priest-raped-young-10220240
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 14, 2017
I have this to say:

I think more evils are perpetrated under Catholicism than any other religion.

Catholicism is not Christianity take or take it. Catholicism is different ball game entirely.

Starting from their ancient-roman theocratic government of burning people who are against their doctrines on stakes alive. Killing of Jan Huss, Wcyliffe etc, declaring Crusades, High prevalent of homosexuality among priests, paedophiles.
What more evil is greater than this
Catholicism is a joke!!! undecided

To all the Catholics or intending Catholics.
Pls go back to history before quoting me!
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Homeboiy: 6:11pm On Apr 14, 2017
k
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by xynerise: 6:13pm On Apr 14, 2017
Freaking liar
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by johnydon22(m): 6:46pm On Apr 14, 2017
anotherydz:
I have this to say:

I think more evils are perpetrated under Catholicism than any other religion.

Catholicism is not Christianity take or take it. Catholicism is different ball game entirely.

Starting from their ancient-roman theocratic government of burning people who are against their doctrines on stakes alive. Killing of Jan Huss, Wcyliffe etc, declaring Crusades, High prevalent of homosexuality among priests, paedophiles.

Pls go back to history before quoting me!
Define Christianity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 14, 2017
anotherydz:
I have this to say:

[s]I think more evils are perpetrated under Catholicism than any other religion.

Pls go back to history before quoting me![/s]
Another senseless response full of junks & trash
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 14, 2017
johnydon22:
Define Christianity

I know one thing for sure! Christianity is not idolatry, homosexuality, being paedophilic and murderer.
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 14, 2017
adepeter26:
Another senseless response full of junks & trash
The truth!!!! smiley
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by johnydon22(m): 7:36pm On Apr 14, 2017
anotherydz:

I know one thing for sure! Christianity is not idolatry, homosexuality, being paedophilic and murderer.

simple question sir; define Christianity?

before you can say what christianity is or not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 8:08pm On Apr 14, 2017
johnydon22:

simple question sir; define Christianity?
before you can say what christianity is or not
I'll answer the question if you can define "Life"
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by johnydon22(m): 8:11pm On Apr 14, 2017
anotherydz:

Lol so we are digressing from what christianity to what is "life" is that another way of saying you can't define christianity?
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 14, 2017
anotherydz:

Your problem pass Nigerian economy o-o shocked cry

Question for question? Which school?
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 14, 2017
johnydon22:
Lol so we are digressing from what christianity to what is "life" is that another way of saying you can't define christianity?
Ok. Living your life according to the doctrines of Christ undecided
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 14, 2017
adepeter26:
Your problem pass Nigerian economy o-o shocked cry
Question for question? Which school?
grin
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by johnydon22(m): 8:17pm On Apr 14, 2017
anotherydz:

Ok. Living your life according to the doctrines of Christ undecided
LOL examples of the doctrines of christ?
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 14, 2017
johnydon22:
LOL examples of the doctrines of christ?

1. Love your Lord thy "God".
2. Love your neighbour as yourself
That's all.
smiley
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by An2elect2(f): 8:30pm On Apr 14, 2017
"evil Catholic priest" tautology?
I read aloud and it sounded like "evil evil priest"
Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by johnydon22(m): 8:36pm On Apr 14, 2017
anotherydz:

1. Love your Lord thy "God".
2. Love your neighbour as yourself
That's all.
smiley

that automatically makes even catholics Christians cus i know of many of them that practice the above doctrines more than the people you regard christians.

Your definition of Christianity still contradict your hasty exclusion of catholics as Christians. . .Or maybe you are missing something either in principle of definition.

check well again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Prayed That I Would Die"---man Who Was Raped By Priest For Several Months!!! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 14, 2017
johnydon22:

that automatically makes even catholics Christians cus i know of many of them that practice the above doctrines more than the people you regard christians.

Your definition of Christianity still contradict your hasty exclusion of catholics as Christians. . .Or maybe you are missing something either in principle of definition.

check well again

All right! You win!...smiley

(1) (Reply)

“my Love Story”- Pastor Nike Adeyemi / The Power Of Telling It To Jesus - Joseph Prince / Did Jesus Resurrect Himself Or Was He Resurrected?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.