Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Chess In Nigeria - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Chess In Nigeria (1653 Views)

Where Can I Play Chess In Akure, Ondo State? / CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. / How Can I Improve On My Skills In Playing CHESS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chess In Nigeria by Martinez19(m): 2:50am On Apr 15, 2017
I am convinced that we have a lot of grandmaster materials who if trained properly will fly the nations flag so high. The problem is that chess club are scarce as if no one cares.

What is more painful is when you imagine that a Nigerian Bobby Fischer is somewhere studying in our wack university when his niche is chess. We don't even have a grandmaster in this country.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:08am On Apr 15, 2017
undecided Go and find something better to do before u end up soaking garri till u die. Is probably what ur friends and family would say if u try to chase this dream.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:12am On Apr 15, 2017
Don't ever do anything for this country. undecided It's not worth it.

Find something that will gear u into getting out of this hell hole. Nigeria isn't a place for sane ppl.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Martinez19(m): 3:41am On Apr 15, 2017
Silkmoth:
undecided Go and find something better to do before u end up soaking garri till u die. Is probably what ur friends and family would say if u try to chase this dream.
I get. Imagine if magnus carlsen was a Nigerian, by now he would be studying medicine or engineering in one kain university.

A man will be hailing Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo but frowns upon hearing his son wants to be a footballer.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:54am On Apr 15, 2017
Get ur head out of d clouds.

SMH! U urself are no different from the yams you've commanded to sprout.

Why do I even bother.

Once, A praying mantis asked a walrus,
"Why must every naija person with at least a grade 2 iq out there think doctors have high intelligence quotients?"

You would never be able to guess the reply the walrus gave.

Pls don't think about doing chess for nigeria or to gain recognition or to prove to your m8s u sabi.
Martinez19:
I get. Imagine if magnus carlsen was a Nigerian, by now he would be studying medicine or engineering in one kain university.

A man will be hailing Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo but frowns upon hearing his son wants to be a footballer.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Martinez19(m): 4:07am On Apr 15, 2017
Silkmoth:
Get ur head out of d clouds.

SMH! U urself are no different from the yams you've commanded to sprout.

Why do I even bother.

Once, A praying mantis asked a walrus,
"Why must every naija person with at least a grade 2 iq out there think doctors have high intelligence quotients?"

You would never be able to guess the reply the walrus gave.

Pls don't think about doing chess for nigeria or to gain recognition or to prove to your m8s u sabi.
I am do not partake in the mentality that medicine, engineering, law and accounting are the only courses that guarantee a bright future like many think in this country. Infact I condemn such mentality.

Given such mentality in most parents, medicine and engineering are the choice for brilliant children hence the mention in my post. Chess is not the only affected sport events our soccer is deteriorating.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by ybalogs(m): 3:11pm On Apr 18, 2017
Injustice against Royal Chess Club Members
Chess is a noble game. Chess players are hardly in the news for the wrong reasons.
Yesterday, i made my way to see a friend at one of the local chess clubs (Royal Chess Club ) in Kubwa, Abuja. Club members often meet after the close of work around 5pm at 2-1 Garden, Kubwa, Abuja.
Abuja is structured around gardens. Before you walk a kilometer or two, you will most likely see 4-5 gardens.
The experience as narrated by Mr. Yemi owowa:
"Yesterday, 10th April 2017, There were ten (10) players there present playing chess at Our Royal Chess Club, 2-1 Garden, Kubwa, Abuja.
Five (5) policemen came into the club arena and told us all to sit on the floor. We have never experienced such before since the inception of the club. With fear in our minds, we obeyed and sat on the floor without questioning. A 52 year old man (David Bamidele) stood up to speak to one of the officers, only for him to receive a heavy slap from one of the officers as he ordered him to sit back on the floor or face his wrath.
Few minutes later, we were ordered into the police bus without knowing the reason for our arrest. Club members who came in their cars were told to get in their cars and they drove us to phase 4 police station, Kubwa, FCT Abuja.
We were at the station for two (2) hours without knowing why we were arrested. Later, we were asked to show our identity cards, which most of us presented to the officers while we were remanded at the counter for no offense committed. We tried reaching our relatives to come through for us but the officers stopped our relatives from getting into the police station.
They grumbled and murmured among themselves and released us while they remained unapologetic. To our dismay, we were told they collected the sum of N17,000 from some of our relatives and the manager of 2-1 garden before we were released.
All we ask is for Justice to be served. These set of men who arrested us for no reasons whatsoever are a disgrace to the Nigeria Police Force.
We will appreciate if you can help share this on your social media platforms till it gets to the right authority. If corruption is to stop, it has to start with men in the uniform.
We are calling on Individuals and lawyers who might be interested in our case, to help take it up seriously till Justice is served.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by ybalogs(m): 3:12pm On Apr 18, 2017
Is there any place they play chess in Ibadan?
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Martinez19(m): 3:24pm On Apr 18, 2017
ybalogs:
Injustice against Royal Chess Club Members
Chess is a noble game. Chess players are hardly in the news for the wrong reasons.
Yesterday, i made my way to see a friend at one of the local chess clubs (Royal Chess Club ) in Kubwa, Abuja. Club members often meet after the close of work around 5pm at 2-1 Garden, Kubwa, Abuja.
Abuja is structured around gardens. Before you walk a kilometer or two, you will most likely see 4-5 gardens.
The experience as narrated by Mr. Yemi owowa:
"Yesterday, 10th April 2017, There were ten (10) players there present playing chess at Our Royal Chess Club, 2-1 Garden, Kubwa, Abuja.
Five (5) policemen came into the club arena and told us all to sit on the floor. We have never experienced such before since the inception of the club. With fear in our minds, we obeyed and sat on the floor without questioning. A 52 year old man (David Bamidele) stood up to speak to one of the officers, only for him to receive a heavy slap from one of the officers as he ordered him to sit back on the floor or face his wrath.
Few minutes later, we were ordered into the police bus without knowing the reason for our arrest. Club members who came in their cars were told to get in their cars and they drove us to phase 4 police station, Kubwa, FCT Abuja.
We were at the station for two (2) hours without knowing why we were arrested. Later, we were asked to show our identity cards, which most of us presented to the officers while we were remanded at the counter for no offense committed. We tried reaching our relatives to come through for us but the officers stopped our relatives from getting into the police station.
They grumbled and murmured among themselves and released us while they remained unapologetic. To our dismay, we were told they collected the sum of N17,000 from some of our relatives and the manager of 2-1 garden before we were released.
All we ask is for Justice to be served. These set of men who arrested us for no reasons whatsoever are a disgrace to the Nigeria Police Force.
We will appreciate if you can help share this on your social media platforms till it gets to the right authority. If corruption is to stop, it has to start with men in the uniform.
We are calling on Individuals and lawyers who might be interested in our case, to help take it up seriously till Justice is served.
Justice must be served as this is unacceptable. angry angry angry
Re: Chess In Nigeria by ybalogs(m): 3:28pm On Apr 18, 2017
Martinez19:
Justice must be served as this is unacceptable. angry angry angry
Very unacceptable. Something needs to be done ASAP to forestall future occurrences.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Martinez19(m): 3:31pm On Apr 18, 2017
ybalogs:
Is there any place they play chess in Ibadan?
I don't know of any chess club in Ibadan or Lagos.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by ybalogs(m): 3:33pm On Apr 18, 2017
Martinez19:
I don't know of any chess club in Ibadan or Lagos.
There are lots of hangouts to play chess in Lagos but i'm not sure for Ibadan.
Re: Chess In Nigeria by Martinez19(m): 3:36pm On Apr 18, 2017
ybalogs:

There are lots of hangouts to play chess in Lagos but i'm not sure for Ibadan.
really? Can you name as much as you can for me alongside their location.

(1) (Reply)

Getting A Nitendo Switch? / Kill your time with this nice Offline Android Racing Game(superb Graphics) / Football Manager 2014 Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.