Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria (5547 Views)

17 Years Old Boy Killed A Dolphin At a Fishing Camp In Bayelsa State (Pictures) / Pic : Fisherman Caught Huge Hippopotamus In Akugbene Fishing Camp In Bayelsa / Best Fishing Gear Reviews Of 2020 | Gears For Fishing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 9:51am On Apr 15, 2017
Good day to all viewing this thread, i believe am not the only nigerian guy out there who enjoys "fishing" as a form of outdoor sport,
i particularly go fishing on my free times, some times productive with personal best record of 8 bullhead catfish in a day with the biggest weighing like 4-5 pound(lbs) ... this was in a local stream / pond and recently a snakehead in osun river weighing like 3 pounds and a feet long etc
i wish folks both foreign and local who gets the thrill of the catch could hookup and try out something cool, during leisure times. currently using a homemade bamboo pole with no reel as it was a fail. hoping to get a telescopic rod soon with spinning reel or baitcaster. do show interest and we'd get to share information.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by madgoat(m): 2:22pm On Apr 15, 2017
Interesting cool
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 4:44pm On Apr 15, 2017
madgoat:
Interesting cool
yea it is, have you ever gone fishing before?
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by madgoat(m): 5:41pm On Apr 15, 2017
olopan:

yea it is, have you ever gone fishing before?

No, but i surely would one day love to fish.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by madgoat(m): 5:42pm On Apr 15, 2017
How do u make the fishing hook? Or what do you use as the fishing hook?
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 5:51pm On Apr 15, 2017
madgoat:

No, but i surely would one day love to fish.
where are you based? i.e state/popular area
and
what kinda water bodies exists around you.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by madgoat(m): 7:06pm On Apr 15, 2017
olopan:

where are you based? i.e state/popular area
and
what kinda water bodies exists around you.

Lagos.
A lot of water bodies in Lagos.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 7:19pm On Apr 15, 2017
madgoat:

Lagos.
A lot of water bodies in Lagos.
whew! oboi waters of lagos no be beans oo, i mean they are enormous. i do bank fishing mostly never budded a canoe or a water transport before, but if a water body that encourage bank fishing or if you could link up with some local fishermen, then count me in on the adventure. BTW try and get acquainted with youtube videos on fishing.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by madgoat(m): 7:50pm On Apr 15, 2017
olopan:

whew! oboi waters of lagos no be beans oo, i mean they are enormous. i do bank fishing mostly never budded a canoe or a water transport before, but if a water body that encourage bank fishing or if you could link up with some local fishermen, then count me in on the adventure. BTW try and get acquainted with youtube videos on fishing.

Not sure i would want to board a canoe; as u said the water bodies here are enormous. grin i have a phobia for drowning.
Would prefer bank fishing in a safe location near a small stream.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 2:14pm On Apr 16, 2017
madgoat:

Not sure i would want to board a canoe; as u said the water bodies here are enormous. grin i have a phobia for drowning.
Would prefer bank fishing in a safe location near a small stream.
now that's an option am cool with. i won't mind a recoinasance on your local stream to check its local species ...... cats are great but snakehead paste better but a fillet from a pan fish is a delight. Happy Easter and a glorious Sunday to you.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 2:51pm On Apr 16, 2017
madgoat:
How do u make the fishing hook? Or what do you use as the fishing hook?
No, i dont make fishing hooks, buy them mostly different sizes for different fishes size and its a laser sharp fishing hook, you don't want to play with that boy when fishing.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by madgoat(m): 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2017
olopan:

No, i dont make fishing hooks, buy them mostly different sizes for different fishes size and its a laser sharp fishing hook, you don't want to play with that boy when fishing.

Okay. Whats the average cost for the hooks?
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 8:58pm On Apr 16, 2017
madgoat:

Okay. Whats the average cost for the hooks?
if you not being scammed it should cost #30-50 or #100 but its quite different for different places like its expensive in osogbo,osun while in ede,osun its relatively cheap like 4-5 for #70-100. just check out hardware store, fairly lpcal with basic information of the environment or ask local fishermen.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by goodspeed963(m): 4:02pm On Apr 08, 2019
Hello! I've just recently started to get involved in fishing. I was with my father on a fishing trip and caught some not too big soms smiley I really want to catch something huge! I now study many sites with fishing equipment, now I am looking a good fishing line for myself. Could you advise me something? I have found a site about fishing that could help me make the right choice for the best braided fishing line. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 8:15am On Sep 17, 2019
Sorry mate, i apologize for not replying on time.
I was quite busy at the time of your @message.

I haven't really used the fine braided lines before but have always gone with flurocarbon lines.

They are tough and don't break easily but abrasion and weather aint friend with it.

But things you need to note and watch out for are.
* Know the fish your targeting.
* Re-tie your nuts after couple of fishing trip.
* If you targeting big game .. Up your line.

I can't remember how many tackles have lost due to the above, or fish that i have too.

I realize minnow works best... Found out last harmattan or winter to you.
My nephew kept disturbing to try it out and it was a blast.

Those cats love it.

I catch fish at almost every cast. grin
Update on your adventure.
And regards to the family from Africa with love.
Cheers.

goodspeed963:
Hello! I've just recently started to get involved in fishing. I was with my father on a fishing trip and caught some not too big soms smiley I really want to catch something huge! I now study many sites with fishing equipment, now I am looking a good fishing line for myself. Could you advise me something? I have found a site about fishing that could help me make the right choice for the best braided fishing line. What do you think?
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by emmanuilteleshe(m): 12:43pm On Jun 17, 2020
Fishermen who prefer the experience of a light cast opt for good quality spinning reels so they can get some good distance on the cast. The low-impact casting makes it a great option for anglers who like to use live bait but want to cast without damaging the bait.Spinning reels are versatile and provide an excellent experience for all styles of fishing. Spinning reels are a good choice for casual fishermen as they are helpful in a multitude of situations. In most cases, casual fishermen do not buy a reel for every type of fishing because they cannot afford it. A spinning reel from www.nihonfishing.com serves you well in any type of fishing because they are available in several affordable models.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by Lmaomen1(m): 8:46am On Jun 18, 2020
emmanuilteleshe:
Fishermen who prefer the experience of a light cast opt for good quality spinning reels so they can get some good distance on the cast. The low-impact casting makes it a great option for anglers who like to use live bait but want to cast without damaging the bait.Spinning reels are versatile and provide an excellent experience for all styles of fishing. Spinning reels are a good choice for casual fishermen as they are helpful in a multitude of situations. In most cases, casual fishermen do not buy a reel for every type of fishing because they cannot afford it. A spinning reel from www.nihonfishing.com serves you well in any type of fishing because they are available in several affordable models.

Is there something more I should know before the purchase?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 1:04am On Jul 06, 2020
Hello, the price of the products at the quoted website is quite steep for exchange rate of Nigeria to Euros. Got a far more cheaper options, as the equipment are premium.
emmanuilteleshe:
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by Victor8st: 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2020
As I'm a fisherman from the childhood (kidding), I remember going with my father always, and to be honest, I hated so much that thing while I was a kid. No way my mother always told me that when I will grow up I will start loving some things that I've hated while I was a kid. Some years ago I had some free time, and I was like, I should give it a try, as a lot of my friends were fishing. Furthermore, thenatureinsider.com has an interesting article for the beginners, who wants can check it out, it was very useful for me. So the thing is that a while ago I was in California at the Crowley Lake, the first time there. I can brag myself, I caught about 8 Trouts weighing each from 15 to 20 lbs.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 3:30pm On Mar 05, 2021
Nice one mate

I never had that kinda luxury where I grew up... I literally grew learning the family business but the adrenalin rush and patience with tactical thinking aroused my interest in fishing.

Great experience i have to say

Victor8st:
As I'm a fisherman from the childhood (kidding), I remember going with my father always, and to be honest, I hated so much that thing while I was a kid. No way my mother always told me that when I will grow up I will start loving some things that I've hated while I was a kid. Some years ago I had some free time, and I was like, I should give it a try, as a lot of my friends were fishing. Furthermore, thenatureinsider.com has an interesting article for the beginners, who wants can check it out, it was very useful for me. So the thing is that a while ago I was in California at the Crowley Lake, the first time there. I can brag myself, I caught about 8 Trouts weighing each from 15 to 20 lbs.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 4:00pm On Mar 05, 2021
So got a medium action rod mid-2017 shipped from abroad and it was a blast ... Being enjoying every bits of the adventure with it

Four different states: osun, oyo, lagos, kwara

Six different fishing spot: Ede water reservoir, river at Ogo-oluwa osogbo[Google map to find], asa river extension, Agba dam both in ilorin, Lagos beach, lagos jetty.

While at the Lagos beach, used my medium action rod and caught one decent grouper, and used a bigger bait to catch bigger fish - Big mistake of the day .... Caught a big fish alright, but that sucker peeled my line and got me stuck in the rock.... Thinking I can tire it out .... Broke my rod manuevring around it.

Pics 1: local creek in ibadan
Pics 2: my medium action rod before it broke and my buddy J
Pics 3: switched to surf rod
Pics 4: Grouper fillet with secret Michigan recipe from buddy J grin

1 Like

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by pinkbarby: 1:12pm On Mar 07, 2021
it is ok

Available three bedroom flat apartment for rent at N155,000 located at Asa dam ilorin, kwara State. Call or WhatsApp 09074970607.

It is fenced
House is painted
Stable Electricity
In front of the main road
Close to NUT: National Union of Teachers
It is located in an industrial area

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 12:05pm On Mar 26, 2021
Any fishing enthusiast in ph should chat me up, i have two fishing rods i will like to try out only challenge is that i noticed the fishes don't respond well to artificial baits, any suggestions house?

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by Cabardin: 2:15pm On Sep 16, 2021
I prefer to fish on the shore because I'm afraid of drowning if I fall off the canoe. It's much more pleasant for me to sit quietly on the beach with a fishing rod and enjoy the silence. A couple of times, a friend invited me to fish in a private pond for carp, but he gave me the spinning rod and everything else, as I have Trout fishing rods. I, in turn, showed him how to fish alone. I like to share my experience with other fishermen and get their valuable advice in return. After all, carp fishing also has its own characteristics, which I did not know at all, and it was nice to learn from a man who loves this business with all his soul.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 6:03am On Sep 18, 2021
Cabardin:
I prefer to fish on the shore because I'm afraid of drowning if I fall off the canoe. It's much more pleasant for me to sit quietly on the beach with a fishing rod and enjoy the silence. A couple of times, a friend invited me to fish in a private pond for carp, but he gave me the spinning rod and everything else, as I have Trout fishing rods. I, in turn, showed him how to fish alone. I like to share my experience with other fishermen and get their valuable advice in return. After all, carp fishing also has its own characteristics, which I did not know at all, and it was nice to learn from a man who loves this business with all his soul.

Where did you buy your fishing rod from and what bait do you use?
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:00am On Sep 18, 2021
Who can help me catch dolphin?

I need to taste that meat.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2021
I have the phobia for water too, but I think with a life jacket one should fair well, when on a boat

We don't have carp in Nigeria, except introduced as an invasive species ... Never caught ones though

Showed a buddy from Minnesota recently how to fish for grouper off sandbar and it was a blast

Kindly share your carp experience here for all to learn
Cabardin:
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2021
Hello buddy, tried reaching you via mail correspondence but I didn't know how it ended

There are individuals that can get you a medium to heavy tackle locally, based in Lagos

ernie4life:

Where did you buy your fishing rod
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 4:55pm On Sep 21, 2021
Do you own a boat? You need to study many patterns and watch out for when sardines congregates as balls
OgogoroFreak:
Who can help me catch dolphin?

I need to taste that meat.
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 5:56pm On Sep 21, 2021
olopan:
Hello buddy, tried reaching you via mail correspondence but I didn't know how it ended

There are individuals that can get you a medium to heavy tackle locally, based in Lagos

How do we link up for more discussion?
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by olopan(m): 7:44pm On Sep 21, 2021
Kindly text my business number, I will reply with my personal cell, where you can call me

Contact on bio

ernie4life:

How do we link up for more discussion?
Re: Thread For Fishing Enthusiastic People Around Nigeria by newinventions: 10:29pm On Nov 28, 2021
Finally, I have found people who share my interest. I am very much interested in fishing. The last I went fishing was when I was 7 year old or there about.

Would love to use the hand throw fishing net though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Health, Skin, Hair & Cooking Benefits Of Our Unrefined Sea Salt / Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? / Microwave Oven For Baking Cake N Meatpie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.