Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,182 members, 7,811,462 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? (7299 Views)

......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... / Carbon Cleaning For Your Engine Is Now Available / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 10:01am On Apr 15, 2017
1. Is your engine in top shape (does not smoke)?

2. Does your engine oil dry up?

If Yes to 1 & 2 then you need to change oils.

We recommend the American Mobil-1 and Castrol Products....

Check out.
https://www.mrparts.ng/collections/engine-transmission-oil
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by Emekayoung(m): 11:30am On Apr 15, 2017
Wat do i do. My baby boy dries up oil within 2 weeks after servicing. I use mobil XHP 20w 50. Though the engine does not smoke. And i always see vapour coming out of the exhaust tail wen ever i start the car in the morning or wen it's raining. Pls u guys shuld help me out...
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by honmusa(m): 12:59pm On Apr 15, 2017
Emekayoung:
Wat do i do. My baby boy dries up oil within 2 weeks after servicing. I use mobil XHP 20w 50. Though the engine does not smoke. And i always see vapour coming out of the exhaust tail wen ever i start the car in the morning or wen it's raining. Pls u guys shuld help me out...
If there is no physical leak then the oil is definitely leaking into the combustion chamber due to worn piston ring .Your engine is smoking though not necessarily at idle you will see it if you rev the engine high .

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by Conner44: 3:08pm On Apr 15, 2017
honmusa:

If there is no physical leak then the oil is definitely leaking into the combustion chamber due to worn piston ring .Your engine is smoking though not necessarily at idle you will see it if you rev the engine high .

Sir this is exactly what is happening to me right now. I top up engine oil after every drive. No smoke except while reving above 5000rpm and that's when I see white smoke.the engine runs optimally with no leakage. Accord 2004 i4.

If my rings are worn can I have them replaced?
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 4:45pm On Apr 15, 2017
Emekayoung:

What is the year and model of your car?
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2017
Conner44:

Sir this is exactly what is happening to me right now. I top up engine oil after every drive. No smoke except while reving above 5000rpm and that's when I see white smoke.the engine runs optimally with no leakage. Accord 2004 i4.

After every drive? That's bad.... The rings can be replaced but only a temporary solution as other parts might have also been affected.
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by honmusa(m): 5:19pm On Apr 15, 2017
Conner44:

Just budget for engine replacement soon to have a permanent fix and piece of mind.
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 9:15am On Apr 16, 2017
ebuks4ever:
1. Is your engine in top shape (does not smoke)?

2. Does your engine oil dry up?

If Yes to 1 & 2 then you need to change oils.

Pls note that Mobil-1 from the filling stations has far less quality to imported American Mobil-1...

We recommend the Premium Castrol Products....

Check out.

Thanks for the information on your oils. The Castrol products that you sell are not suitable for the vehicles that requires Castrol. The 5w20 professional is an API SL which is no longer sold by Castrol USA. It is for cars made before 2004. The syntheic version of Mobil hxp. I am sure that you are aware that 90% of the vehicles in Nigeria are American specs and such, we are to bring in products that suits the American specs. There is no American spec that requires 5w40 engine oil and so please let Eterna oil sell their South African engine oils to themselves. I will get in touch with you on the Mobil 1 5w20 advanced full synthetic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by awiriwa: 9:32am On Apr 16, 2017
sooperrescue:

Thanks for the information on your oils. The Castrol products that you sell are not suitable for the vehicles that requires Castrol. The 5w20 professional is an API SL which is no longer sold by Castrol USA. It is for cars made before 2004. The syntheic version of Mobil hxp. I am sure that you are aware that 90% of the vehicles in Nigeria are American specs and such, we are to bring in products that suits the American specs. There is no American spec that requires 5w40 engine oil and so please let Eterna oil sell their South African engine oils to themselves. I will get in touch with you on the Mobil 1 5w20 advanced full synthetic

grin Chaiiii
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2017
sooperrescue:

Thanks for pointing out the API standards of the Castrol oils we have. We are currently looking outside to get directly but at a higher cost

I beg to disagree with you about no American product accepting 5w40. The German brands recommend 5w30, 5w40 etc depending on their engine designs while "most" Japanese use either 0w20 or 5w20 probably for better fuel mileage.

Note that the Castrol 5w40 meets the API SN specifications.
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2017
You are correct about the European formula but 90% of the vehicles are American specs. Castrol 5w40 Api sn and acea a3/b3 is the same thing with oando syn and forte synth10000. Please get the extended performance of castrol and I will be your best friend
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 7:47pm On Apr 16, 2017
sooperrescue:
You are correct about the European formula but 90% of the vehicles are American specs. Castrol 5w40 Api sn and acea a3/b3 is the same thing with oando syn and forte synth10000. Please get the extended performance of castrol and I will be your best friend

How many bottles of the Extended Performance do you want? As i mentioned earlier, it comes at a higher cost. N8000 per litre.
How many do u want?
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 10:17pm On Apr 16, 2017
call 08098534267
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 10:58am On Apr 17, 2017
ebuks4ever:

How many bottles of the Extended Performance do you want? As i mentioned earlier, it comes at a higher cost. N8000 per litre.
How many do u want?

I thought that I am making business friendship with you. A gallon of 5 litres is sold for 28 USd and a pallet of it is being shipped to Lagos as we speak. If a gallon costs 48k from your end, that must be expensive, very expensive. If you had the Extended performance oils, it will be proudly displayed on your website instead of those obsolete Castrol that you are recommending for us. Castrol edge professional is API SL with ILSAC GF3 is obsolete. Ilsac 5 is the current oil specification. And Range Rovers 2010 to 13 requires 5w20 API SN, ACEA A1/B1 and not API SL, ILSAC 3. It is misleading. Please remove those oils from your website so that people can trust your products. Even the Mobil 1 advanced full synthetic should be at the top of your list instead of the ones listed there. This is 2017 and motorists and mechanics are now wiser.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by airsaylongcon: 7:55pm On Apr 17, 2017
sooperrescue:

I thought that I am making business friendship with you. A gallon of 5 litres is sold for 28 USd and a pallet of it is being shipped to Lagos as we speak. If a gallon costs 48k from your end, that must be expensive, very expensive. If you had the Extended performance oils, it will be proudly displayed on your website instead of those obsolete Castrol that you are recommending for us. Castrol edge professional is API SL with ILSAC GF3 is obsolete. Ilsac 5 is the current oil specification. And Range Rovers 2010 to 13 requires 5w20 API SN, ACEA A1/B1 and not API SL, ILSAC 3. It is misleading. Please remove those oils from your website so that people can trust your products. Even the Mobil 1 advanced full synthetic should be at the top of your list instead of the ones listed there. This is 2017 and motorists and mechanics are now wiser.

How many units make up a pallet? What's your intended retail price? My Audi is crying
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 8:43pm On Apr 17, 2017
not more than 30k a gallon of 5 litres. Dont worry, there is enough to go round. 5w30, 5w20 and 0w20. Range rovers are fast disappearing from the roads because of fake Castrol oils and aluminium oils sold locally
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 9:49am On Apr 18, 2017
airsaylongcon:

How many units make up a pallet? What's your intended retail price? My Audi is crying

For your Audi, can you provide more details? Whats they year, model and size of your engine.

Please dont use 0w20 or the 5w20 on your Audi as the Germans use mostly 5w30 and 5w40. Kindly confirm your spec so I can recommend the best oil for you.
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 10:11am On Apr 18, 2017
sooperrescue:

Bro, please do correct your notion that API SL is obsolete. Last I checked, obsolete oils are SA to SH. SJ to SN are the current oils with SN being more recent than SL as you said with basically the producers reducing ZDDP from the oils in SN.

Obsolete oils should never be used on any vehicles as the current specs are backward compatible. I repeat NEVER.

So you coming onboard and outrightly condemning these oils to me doesn't look business friendly. I assumed you should have sent private messages to bash me before writing on the walls. It looks as though you wish to market your brands instead bro.

For newer cars strictly requiring the SL ratings, we recommend Mobil-1s (the American imports) which is why we always ask of Year, make and Model of vehicle.

Secondly, the other brands of the Castrol products we have are all dexos 2 certified and meets the API SN specs
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by airsaylongcon: 10:19am On Apr 18, 2017
ebuks4ever:

For your Audi, can you provide more details? Whats they year, model and size of your engine.

Please dont use 0w20 or the 5w20 on your Audi as the Germans use mostly 5w30 and 5w40. Kindly confirm your spec so I can recommend the best oil for you.

A4 B7 2.0T. 2006 model year. Plus have you got CVT transmission fluid. Preferably Ravenol

@OP apologies if I'm hijacking your thread
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by airsaylongcon: 10:24am On Apr 18, 2017
sooperrescue:
not more than 30k a gallon of 5 litres. Dont worry, there is enough to go round. 5w30, 5w20 and 0w20. Range rovers are fast disappearing from the roads because of fake Castrol oils and aluminium oils sold locally

My chest! shocked grin

I guess the Nigerian one is really rubbish then!
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 10:36am On Apr 18, 2017
I am sorry about that. I can't contain my anger when I see these oils being sold to us as the best in the market. You recommended the castrol oils and I had no choice but to condemn it. Cars that are required to use api sl are cars made before 2004 and a 13 year old car is not new. I am not selling castrol oils, a friend is bringing it in. I am a user of the product as it is the best oil for range rovers. If you sell your Mobil1 advanced full synthetic for 4000+, why should Castrol extended performance be 8000 a litre? I am currently battling SON on their standard for engine oils which according to them is Api sc and you claim that api sl is not obsolete for modern cars is like forte oil claiming that their synthetic 10000 is good for GM diesel cars but not okay for GM petrol engines. You are still free to contact me
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 11:44am On Apr 18, 2017
airsaylongcon:

A4 B7 2.0T. 2006 model year. Plus have you got CVT transmission fluid. Preferably Ravenol

@OP apologies if I'm hijacking your thread

Recommended Motor oil for your engine is 5w40 or 0w40. You also need 4.5 Litres of engine oil. 5Litres Castrol 5w40 SAE SN goes for N14,500
The only CVT Fluid we have is CAM2 Full Synthetic CVT Fluid. It goes for N6000per quartz.

When you say your engine is crying... can you explain more? Is the vehicle smoking and does the oil dry up?
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 7:55pm On Apr 18, 2017
Crying because the substandard oils are destroying the car. There are castrol oils recommended for Audi and they are all 5w30. I know someone that sells Ravenol and I will ask if he has the cvt
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 5:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
American Mobil-1 SAE 5w30 Advanced Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5Litres. Dexos2, API SN

The advanced full synthetic formula provides excellent overall lubrication and wear protection for your vehicle and outperforms other conventional oils.

For more info,
https://www.mrparts.ng/collections/engine-transmission-oil/products/mobil1-5w-30-advanced-full-synthetic-5-litre

Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 3:00pm On Apr 29, 2017
I want6 gallons of the Mobil1. How can I get it in Lagos
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 5:23pm On Apr 30, 2017
sooperrescue:
I want6 gallons of the Mobil1. How can I get it in Lagos

Sorry for the late reply. Do u want 1Litre or 5Litre keg?
I can send it via the transporters but will find out cost first.
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by sooperrescue(m): 9:01pm On Apr 30, 2017
Send me SMS on 08098534267
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 8:26pm On May 01, 2017
Tips on gauging your Motor Oil... Lol@change the engine

Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 4:30pm On May 02, 2017
In stock now
American Imports
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 5-Lire Keg - N18,000
Mobil-1 High Mileage Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 5-Lire Keg - N18,000
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 1-Litre Keg - N4000
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w20 1-Litre keg - N4000
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 0w20 1-Litre keg - N4000
South African Imports
Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5w40 API SN 5-Litre Keg N15,000
Castrol Edge Professional Full Synthetic 5w20 API SL 1-Litre - N3300
Castrol Magnatec Synthetic Blend 10w40 API SN 5-Litre - N9000
Castrol GTX Anti Sludge 20w50 5-Litre - N6500

Visit our online store to place your orders....
Tel: 08100686696 / 08138479798
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by KingNnaji(m): 8:19pm On May 02, 2017
I can sell in wholesale fully synthetic engine oil i am looking to import engine oil into Nigeria

- Fully synthetic Engine oil grade 0w- 20 5 litres The price is around N10,294.35
- Fully synthetic engine oil grade 5w-40 5 Litres The price will be around N9,113

Please are these good energy oil prices in Nigeria

i need some advice i am trying to get an idea of motor oil prices in Nigeria

Thanks for your feedback
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 7:24am On May 03, 2017
KingNnaji:
I can sell in wholesale fully synthetic engine oil i am looking to import engine oil into Nigeria

- Fully synthetic Engine oil grade 0w- 20 5 litres The price is around N10,294.35
- Fully synthetic engine oil grade 5w-40 5 Litres The price will be around N9,113

Please are these good energy oil prices in Nigeria

i need some advice i am trying to get an idea of motor oil prices in Nigeria

Thanks for your feedback

What brand of oil are you looking to import?
Re: Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? by ebuks4ever(m): 10:57am On Jun 12, 2017
For regular tips on keeping your car in top shape, visit our blog

https://www.mrparts.ng/blogs/newsfeeds

(1) (2) (Reply)

12 Of The Best Safety Features Introduced In Cars Throughout The Years / My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE / Toyota Sienna Overheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.