Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,558 members, 7,823,454 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? (2677 Views)

GEJ Achievements COMPARED With Ebonyi State Achievements / What Is Wrong With This Picture Of Ribadu And Jonathan? / Has Sam Egwu Gotten Away With Ebonyi's Billions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by Mekusxyz: 3:44am On Jan 01, 2010
Guys (especially those from the East who know what is on ground):

Why is Ebonyi state a consistent laggard in the South East? Every available human development indices show that Ebonyi lags behind, and infact, in literacy levels, it is the worst in the whole of southern Nigeria?

Ebonyi state has produced a few notable persons:
1. Akanu Ibiam, former premier of Eastern Region
2. Anyim Pius Anyim, former Senate President
3. Ogbonaya Onu, former Abia State Governor and ANPP presidential candidate who voluntarily (or forcefully) stepped down for Olu Falae
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by Mekusxyz: 3:45am On Jan 01, 2010
Elechi forecloses resuscitation of NIGERCEM
National News Dec 31, 2009 By Dennis Agbo

ABAKALIKI—Ebonyi State Governor, Martin Elechi has disclosed that Nigeria’s Premier Cement factory, NIGERCEM, situated at Nkalagu in Ishielu Local Government Area of the state was now despoiled and beyond revival.

Governor Elechi made the disclosure while presenting the 2010 budget and appropriation bill before the State House of Assembly in Abakaliki, where he said that the present ugly state of the cement factory was due to the massive cannibalization of equipment and other infrastructure at the factory.

The Governor told the state lawmakers that the only option left for the state government was for it to continue with the setting up of an entirely new cement factory, since the state is endowed with excess limestone, a raw material for cement production.

The development is coming on the heels of the state government’s revocation of the certificate of occupancy of the factory owned by Eastern Bulkcem Nigeria Limited, EBNL, the core investor that bought both the assets and liabilities of the factory in 2002.

The state government had set up a panel that has concluded its work on the modalities for the complete take-over of the factory by the state.

Whereas the panel is still waiting to officially handover its findings to the government, Governor Elechi at the State House of Assembly, said “initially, a pip into the activities of the factory revealed that it had been massively cannibalized, whereupon, I applied to the Federal Government to be allowed to take over NIGERCEM.

Prolonged discussion with the federal authorities led to no conclusive decisions, when I was forced to revoke the right of occupancy of the investors on the land harboring the industry.

“I followed it up with the institution of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry to investigate the affairs of the enterprise from October 2002 to the present time.

The truth has now come, the factual situation in Nigercem is that it has been despoiled beyond revival. The looting of essential machine parts and equipment is total”, he added.
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by Mekusxyz: 3:51am On Jan 01, 2010
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 01, 2010
What's wrong with Ebonyi State?

Two things.
1. It's located in Nigeria.
2. Say the name out loud.
EH BON YI
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by onyengbu1(m): 8:08am On Jan 01, 2010
Dont quote me but it has a lot to do with the people.
Majority of them are not enterprizing like any average igbo person.
I cant say why but its a fact.
Here in anambra, calling someone an abakaliki man is equivalent to calling him an aboki and its derogatory.
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by metalgong5(m): 8:39am On Jan 01, 2010
Ebony state is our junior sister who is still growing up. . . .
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by AndreUweh(m): 1:25pm On Jan 01, 2010
They might not have done so well like other south east states, but when compared to other states in the old eastern region sauch as Bayelsa, Cross River and Rivers state, then you see that they are a tower. I think they are at per with Akwa Ibom.
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by ezeagu(m): 5:54pm On Jan 01, 2010
Ebonyi is the last hope for preserving Igbo culture, all other SE states have sold theirs. grin shocked
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by SEFAGO(m): 6:16pm On Jan 01, 2010
There is a state in Nigeria called Ebonyi shocked shocked shocked, wow I never knew
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by omamokta: 1:56pm On Jan 04, 2010
I did not want to respond to this question but my conscience could not allow me. This is because if i dont do alot of people will be decieved. Firstly, all fingers are not equal, secondly Ebonyi state is the youngest state in the south-east. Thirdly Ebonyians made up of old Enugu(Abakaliki zone) and Old Abia(Afikpo zone) are victims of marginalization in their old states. This is the main aim of the agitation of state creation, government impacts were not felt in the old Abakaliki zone. Their entitlements were taken by their oppressors, this made them stagnant in terms of material and human development. It is on record that a lot of people claiming Ebonyi state indigene are not from Ebonyi state, a lot of schlolarship opportunities were traded to the highest bidders. Their job chances were sold, given to other people because nobody was speaking for them. If you check through our security services, you will understand what i mean.
Lastly ONYE-NGBU let me remind you that it was what your fathers and grand fathers did to Ebonyi Indigenes that made them lag behind but i have one promise for you. With what is obtainable in Ebonyi and Anambra States presently, Anambra cannot see the brakelight of Ebonyi state in the next ten to fifteen years both in term of material and human development. Thank God, there was somebody in the name of SANI ABACHA that liberated the Ebonyians from the claws of evil men who were tormenting them. Rest in peace ABACHA
Re: What Is Wrong With Ebonyi State? by Mekusxyz: 2:31pm On Jan 04, 2010
omamokta:

I did not want to respond to this question but my conscience could not allow me. This is because if i dont do alot of people will be decieved. Firstly, all fingers are not equal, secondly Ebonyi state is the youngest state in the south-east. Thirdly Ebonyians made up of old Enugu(Abakaliki zone) and Old Abia(Afikpo zone) are victims of marginalization in their old states. This is the main aim of the agitation of state creation, government impacts were not felt in the old Abakaliki zone. Their entitlements were taken by their oppressors, this made them stagnant in terms of material and human development. It is on record that a lot of people claiming Ebonyi state indigene are not from Ebonyi state, a lot of schlolarship opportunities were traded to the highest bidders. Their job chances were sold, given to other people because nobody was speaking for them. If you check through our security services, you will understand what i mean.
Lastly ONYE-NGBU let me remind you that it was what your fathers and grand fathers did to Ebonyi Indigenes that made them lag behind but i have one promise for you. With what is obtainable in Ebonyi and Anambra States presently, Anambra cannot see the brakelight of Ebonyi state in the next ten to fifteen years both in term of material and human development. Thank God, there was somebody in the name of SANI ABACHA that liberated the Ebonyians from the claws of evil men who were tormenting them. Rest in peace ABACHA
Hm! Thanks. But I do not think the problem of Ebonyi should be blamed completely on others. What did Sam Egwu do as a governor and even now as a minister? The story is not so bad for Ebonyi, though. The poverty level is lower than in many states including, hold your breathe, Lagos.

(1) (Reply)

Some Disturbing Power Facts / Gej's Giant Strides In The South-east / FG To File Six Count Charge On Treason Against Gov. Nyako

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.