Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? (6356 Views)

How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? / It Is Time For Every Discerning Christian To Flee Nigeria If The Money Is There / "Everything About President Buhari Is Deceptive And Selective" - CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Danpersie31(m): 6:47am On Apr 16, 2017
On this wonderful eas ter sunday, it keeps pondering in my heart why people select the kind of gospel (message) they want to hear . I mean some people don't want to hear that drinking alcohol is a sin, but tend to compensate by saying drinking is not bad but getting drunk is. The most alarming part is the area of prosperity, people prefer to hear about prosperity than about salvation and heaven and hell. Some people i have asked insist that they are discerning the gospel as stipulated in the bible. Is this therefore discerning the gospel or selecting the gospel? Happy ressurection.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by couragekebs(m): 7:12am On Apr 16, 2017
B4 i read wetin Op talk, lemme celebrate my FFTC on nairaland. Dis wk na #SureWeek. Happy Easter evry1.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Ekeke1(m): 7:23am On Apr 16, 2017
If u dnt read nd ask God for understanding,u r likely to do same.

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by nicerod(m): 7:26am On Apr 16, 2017
Try every spirit ......

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:30am On Apr 16, 2017
You have to test a spirit by searching the Bible and see if what is written correlate with the message you are being told. Even Apostle Paul said if him or any of the Apostles or angels come to preach another doctrine that they should be cast away.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by mykeljosef: 7:33am On Apr 16, 2017
first off the church dont help matters

2ndly with the human evolution most people are accepting wrong things in the name of "humanity" for instance gayism is already creeping into the church n its only a matter of time b4 it becomes a norm

but see the thing is church has been so overrated n hyped by yahooboiz pastors to be that "building" where u go every sunday or werkday

that the Christian has forgotten his/her body is the temple of the most high(the church)

particularly in africa

I think generally we have been programmed as MINIONS

so the constant urge to be controlled or lead has eaten so deep that the "men of god" have become god of men

most people in church as we speak are there for one of 3 Reasons

1.its a status quo (its a tradition)

2..dem go say (fear of being judged)

3.. material needs either looking for prosperity or financial help or going to see that fine babe you only see on sunday

so yes my OP I think selective gospel has become the norm

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by kenn4rill(m): 7:38am On Apr 16, 2017
Because must people rather than preaching d Gospel of Jesus which love, they will start condemning u especially wen dey meet u drinking. Everyone carry ur cross oh.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by kaycyor: 7:38am On Apr 16, 2017
Search the Scriptures to get rooted in the word of God n forget Discerning or selective spirit.. Which one you get if i ask??
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by zezinando(m): 7:38am On Apr 16, 2017
i dont even understand the grammar undecided

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by walls01: 7:40am On Apr 16, 2017
Danpersie31:
On this wonderful eas ter sunday, it keeps pondering in my heart why people select the kind of gospel (message) they want to hear . I mean some people don't want to hear that drinking alcohol is a sin, but tend to compensate by saying drinking is not bad but getting drunk is. The most alarming part is the area of prosperity, people prefer to hear about prosperity than about salvation and heaven and hell. Some people i have asked insist that they are discerning the gospel as stipulated in the bible. Is this therefore discerning the gospel or selecting the gospel? Happy ressurection.

why is drinking and not getting drunk a sin? please explain base on three verses from the Bible

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Histrings08(m): 7:40am On Apr 16, 2017
I wanna know too.. So I'm ffg

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 7:49am On Apr 16, 2017
Danpersie31:

Reasoning
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Horlufemi(m): 7:53am On Apr 16, 2017
how we want to worship is different from how God wants to be worshiped.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by LokritJ: 7:55am On Apr 16, 2017
[quote author=Danpersie31 post=55607409]On this wonderful eas ter sunday, it keeps pondering in my heart why people select the kind of gospel (message) they want to hear . I mean some people don't want to hear that drinking alcohol is a sin, but tend to compensate by saying drinking is not bad but getting drunk is.
Can you please tell me where it is written in the Bible that drinking alcohol is a sin. Remember that God created everything and it was good, drinking in itself is not a sin but getting drunk is, remember also that eating food is not a sin but if you over feed yourself then you a guilty of the sin of gluttony.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by dhardline(m): 7:55am On Apr 16, 2017
Obviously they are being selective and not discerning.

The Bible says in John 16:13 'However, when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak what He hears, and He will declare to you what is to come.'

My brother if you are truly a born again and the Holy Spirit has borne witness with your spirit that you are now a child of God belive me your mind will open, that's why apostle Paul prayed in Ephesians 1:18-19(a) I ask that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know the hope of His calling, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and the surpassing greatness of His power to us who believe.

Now this will be the result- you will listen to men preach and know instantly if this man speaks the truth or deceives the people, you will be wiser than your teachers not only because you read but because you are spirit taught.
When I gave my life to Christ Jesus I stood with men who called themselves pastors and we discussed and I was able to flaw a lot of their arguments and they were surprised and I hadn't even been born again up to 6 months. This is what the Holy Spirit can do in a man, and also remember to study to prove yourself approved . Use the various means of grace made available to you, Bible, Hymn books, Spiritual books by true men of God etc. The truth is majority of what you hear today from so called 'men of God are lies'.
Remember this words today 'seek out your salvation with fear and trembling' not with ease and rest and dry eyes with a lackadaisical attitude. It won't come. Shalom

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Alexk2(m): 8:01am On Apr 16, 2017
Those are two different thing entirely bro. Disernment of spirit is the impresion of the Holy Spirit on a man concerning pressing issues...it can also pass as the will of God.
Most of those cases you sighted above have been clearly spelled out in the bible either dieectly or indirectly and we dont need to wait for the Holy spirit to confirm if the word of God is true or not. Anybody who have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit will definitely know when he/she is wrong or not but the problem is we often grieve the Holy spirit by insisting on doing what our flesh demands.

3 Likes

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 16, 2017
By saying that taking alcohol (and not specifically getting drunk) is sin, you should examine yourself first. There is no point misinterpreting the Bible so as to appear holy to those who also misinterpret the Bible like you.

Drunkenness is sin, NOT drinking alcohol.

Danpersie31:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by LokritJ: 8:07am On Apr 16, 2017
Can you please tell me where it is written in the Bible that drinking alcohol is a sin. Remember that God created everything and it was good, drinking in itself is not a sin but getting drunk is, remember also that eating food is not a sin but if you over feed yourself then you are guilty of the sin of gluttony.

7 Likes

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by arrestdarrester: 8:08am On Apr 16, 2017
Danpersie31:

Am afraid to say here that the gospel is not about all these. It is simply good news about the Kingdom of our God and of Christ. When a person is now born of God you are then expected to teach the new convert the law of the Spirit of Life that obtains in the Kingdom. This is a much higher law than 'thou shall not, thou shall not... '.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Originalsly: 8:09am On Apr 16, 2017
Hmmmm.....differentiate between discerning spirit and selective gospel? Can somebody explain?
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by gamyy(m): 8:10am On Apr 16, 2017
walls01:

why is drinking and not getting drunk a sin? please explain base on three verses from the Bible

eop me ask o
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Lagbaja01(m): 8:19am On Apr 16, 2017
Alexk2:
Those are two different thing entirely bro. Disernment of spirit is the impresion of the Holy Spirit on a man concerning pressing issues...it can also pass as the will of God.
Most of those cases you sighted above have been clearly spelled out in the bible either dieectly or indirectly and we dont need to wait for the Holy spirit to confirm if the word of God is true or not. Anybody who have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit will definitely know when he/she is wrong or not but the problem is we often grieve the Holy spirit by insisting on doing what our flesh demands.
God bless you front and back!
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 9:32am On Apr 16, 2017
Danpersie31:
First off, the Bible did NOT say we should discern scripture, we are to read understand Scripture with the help of the Holy Spirit.
What we are to discern is the Spirit behind every form of doctrine, teaching or prophecy (1 John 4:1. What a 'pastor' says at times may be theologically accurate, or a prophecy that is also accurate, but the Spirit that influenced such a teaching or prophecy may be wrong (John 8:44, Acts 16).
This is why we were asked to discern spirits to know which prophecies, 'men of God', teachings and doctrines are really of God.

Selective Gospel on the other hand is choosing to willingly neglect what is found in the Bible, not what is said by some Pastor.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 9:39am On Apr 16, 2017

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

Please let us not bring up this long and unending topic of alcohol. maybe you should create thread on it and tag me.
If you are truly a Christian, you will know from several inferences that drinking alcohol is not right.

Several inferences? Isn't that why this thread was created, because of people like you?

Why not simply put your points forward with valid scriptures?

Honestly, the OP clearly needs to examine himself first before bothering about others. A good start will be Romans 14 - I implore he drops all his 'inferences' and ask the Holy Spirit to teach him. You can join the OP too if you are willing to be taught.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by donmarshia(m): 10:55am On Apr 16, 2017
The fundamental issue in Christendom is knowing exactly what sin is.

When I see categorical sentences like taking alcohol is Sin, I just know that someone who has a limited understanding of the Word is around, and I don't bother arguing.

It takes grace for a religious person to leave the law.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Isaacmacdon(m): 11:21am On Apr 16, 2017
donmarshia:
The fundamental issue in Christendom is knowing exactly what sin is.

When I see categorical sentences like taking alcohol is Sin, I just know that someone who has a limited understanding of the Word is around, and I don't bother arguing.

It takes grace for a religious person to leave the law.
Can explain vividly what you mean by "categorical sentences like 'alcohol is a sin' before we discuss on this issue?

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by hisgrace090: 12:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
Follow the scripture.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ziga: 12:37pm On Apr 16, 2017
To a large extent, behavior is cultural.

A lot of things we do these days were regarded as sacrilege back in the days.

If you look at the history of modern medicine, physicians were barbaric and not acceptable to the community back in the days (they practiced with dead bodies. Made contact with blood and all those types of things)

Drinking alcohol is regarded as a sin by some people but it is a cultural norm with some people. Jesus turned water into wine for "christ sake"

African/Nigerian christianity is infused with our ritualistic cultural practices and to make things worse, we are so judgmental of things that are not "ours" and we therefore contradict the whole essence of Jesus' message of acceptance.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Izen: 1:21pm On Apr 16, 2017
Op, can you please write the scripture that explicitly says drinking alcohol is a sin. Please do. I had that mindset before until I failed to see a backing in the scripture.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

Please let us not bring up this long and unending topic of alcohol. maybe you should create thread on it and tag me.
If you are truly a Christian, you will know from several inferences that drinking alcohol is not right.
so are you telling me that jesus turning water into wine is a sin because i am sure the wine in the scripture is alcoholic if not it will be called grape juice, not wine, my dear wisdom is profitable to direct. John 2:1-10,1 tim 5:23,ps 104:15, eph 5:18. If you want more i got more. Bottoms up
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2017
Processor01:

Several inferences? Isn't that why this thread was created, because of people like you?

Why not simply put your points forward with valid scriptures?

Honestly, the OP clearly needs to examine himself first before bothering about others. A good start will be Romans 14 - I implore he drops all his 'inferences' and ask the Holy Spirit to teach him. You can join the OP too if you are willing to be taught.
What I mean by inferences in my earlier post was not rote learning of the scripture, but proper study of historical, biblical and spiritual contexts on the topic of alcohol.
Inference as I used meant that there were several places in scripture talking about the topic of alcohol.
I do not believe in study of the Bible outside the Holy Spirit, and I am already under tutelage of the Spirit in my study of the Bible.
What I meant is that many people read the Bible with modern cultural perspectives, but to completely understand the contexts of scripture (with the help of the Holy Spirit), one has to 'go back in time' to the languages and traditions of the Israelites.
And by the way, starting to blast scriptures on such a controversial topic as alcohol intake would derail the thread, hence my asking him to create a special thread where his concerns on alcohol will be dealt with

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dunamis School Of Ministry ( DUSOM / Why are Amputated Limbs not healed by prosperity preachers ? / VIDEO; Live Snake Crawls Out Of Woman's Private Part During Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.