Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,405 members, 7,819,436 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? (6371 Views)

How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? / It Is Time For Every Discerning Christian To Flee Nigeria If The Money Is There / "Everything About President Buhari Is Deceptive And Selective" - CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 1:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
funmisticqueen:
so are you telling me that jesus turning water into wine is a sin because i am sure the wine in the scripture is alcoholic if not it will be called grape juice, not wine, my dear wisdom is profitable to direct. 1 tim 5:23,ps 104:15, eph 5:18. If you want more i got more. Bottoms up
I half expected you to quote the wedding at Cana. That is what many drunks use to defend their nefarious ways. And by the way, "grape juice" was not a thing in Jesus' time, whether grape juice was alcoholic or not, it was called wine throughout the Bible.
you should read the last Chapter of the book of proverbs to see the class of people that are allowed and disallowed from drinking wine.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

I half expected you to quote the wedding at Cana. That is what many drunks use to defend their nefarious ways. And by the way, "grape juice" was not a thing in Jesus' time, whether grape juice was alcoholic or not, it was called wine throughout the Bible.
you should read the last Chapter of the book of proverbs to see the class of people that are allowed and disallowed from drinking wine.
the last chapter of the book of proverbs is proverbs 31 and everyone knows it doesnt talk about wine, you didnt talk about 1 timothy or psalm 104:15, it is obvous you didnt read it, i advise you to get your bible and do so. Concerning the wedding in cana, read especially verse 8-10, it will show you the wine was alcoholic, besides you are yet to give me scripture that shows that drinking alcohol is a sin. Here is the funny thing i dont drink alcohol it tastes disgusting,but i know my bible, it is wrong to get drunk (except in the spirit) gal 5:22-23, 1cor 6:9-10, eph 5:18
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by femi4: 1:55pm On Apr 16, 2017
Danpersie31:
On this wonderful eas ter sunday, it keeps pondering in my heart why people select the kind of gospel (message) they want to hear . I mean some people don't want to hear that drinking alcohol is a sin, but tend to compensate by saying drinking is not bad but getting drunk is. The most alarming part is the area of prosperity, people prefer to hear about prosperity than about salvation and heaven and hell. Some people i have asked insist that they are discerning the gospel as stipulated in the bible. Is this therefore discerning the gospel or selecting the gospel? Happy ressurection.
Test every spirit and search the scripture. In my church, even after teaching on different topics like prosperity, success, faith etc. The preaching always end on salvation cos without salvation you cannot fully enjoy them
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

I believe you should be the one doing the reading then juxtapose it to Paul's advice to Deacons & Bishops in 1 Timothy and Titus.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 16, 2017
Processor01:

I believe you should be the one doing the reading then juxtapose it to Paul's advice to Deacons & Bishops in 1 Timothy and Titus.
dont mind him, he hasnt supplied scripture to support his claim.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

What I mean by inferences in my earlier post was not rote learning of the scripture, but proper study of historical, biblical and spiritual contexts on the topic of alcohol.
Inference as I used meant that there were several places in scripture talking about the topic of alcohol.
I do not believe in study of the Bible outside the Holy Spirit, and I am already under tutelage of the Spirit in my study of the Bible.
What I meant is that many people read the Bible with modern cultural perspectives, but to completely understand the contexts of scripture (with the help of the Holy Spirit), one has to 'go back in time' to the languages and traditions of the Israelites.
And by the way, starting to blast scriptures on such a controversial topic as alcohol intake would derail the thread, hence my asking him to create a special thread where his concerns on alcohol will be dealt with

I do not believe in all these you wrote up there - often times, this is how the religious lot are confused and set on doctrines of men.

Simply show me verses in the scripture based on your revelations from the Holy Spirit and why 'alcohol' is bad - i don't believe that is too much to ask. For the records, i am not trying to advocate for alcoholism but trying to correct the typical Naija views on christianity.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 2:59pm On Apr 16, 2017
Processor01:

I do not believe in all these you wrote up there - often times, this is how the religious lot are confused and set on doctrines of men.

Simply show me verses in the scripture based on your revelations from the Holy Spirit and why 'alcohol' is bad - i don't believe that is too much to ask. For the records, i am not trying to advocate for alcoholism but trying to correct the typical Naija views on christianity.

Proverbs 31:1-7 for one (take note that it was Solomon's mother advising him) .
I once held the belief that alcohol isn't a sin, and by the way, I never said it was. What I said in my original post is that is it not good.
when I read that alcohol is meant for those that are ready to perish, na so my hand fall.
If a new believer sees brother Titus who preached and led him to Christ in a beer parlour (sipping gently so as not to be drunk) or mall buying Heineken, what do you think the believer will think or do, when the new believer himself was once a drunkard?
The Bible says all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient, and that if eating meat will make a fellow brother stumble, you should refrain from doing such.
Besides, what difference will there be between brother Titus in a beer parlour, and Baba Kamaru, the chronic womaniser and town drunk? I guess he will pray over and bless the beer before drinking?
And by the way, how do you define "much wine", "drunkenness", being "drunk with wine", "perverting justice under the influence of wine"? What exact quantity counts as getting drunk? Research has shown that as little as half a cup or 12 ounces of beer can get a person drunk. Please tell me how the Christian will "guage" the amount of alcohol intake to prevent getting drunk, when one of the characteristics of being drunk is thinking you are not as drunk as you really are?
finally, please give me a few instances in the Bible where alcohol paid off and advantages of taking alcohol (knowing that your body already produces enough alcohol that it needs).
Some say that Timothy was told by Paul to drink alcohol for his ailment, I ask those what ailment they are trying to ease, and what happened to modern medicines like aspirine in easing such pain.
All in all, I don't think that taking alcohol IN itself is a sin, but that by taking it, you cannot but commit sin. Happy Easter
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 3:02pm On Apr 16, 2017
funmisticqueen:
dont mind him, he hasnt supplied scripture to support his claim.
I now have Ma. you should read it and ask yourself whether it is possible to drink alcohol and not commit sin.
I didn't feel like typing the long epistle at first, but then.
Have a nice day and Happy Easter
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

Proverbs 31:1-7 for one (take note that it was Solomon's mother advising him)
No Sir, that was not Solomon's mother. It was written to a certain King Lemuel, nevertheless, Solomon used same as inspired by God.

I once held the belief that alcohol isn't a sin, and by the way, I never said it was. What I said in my original post is that is it not good
Keep in mind that what may be good for you may be very good for me. Looking at that in the light of Romans 14, you are not allowed to judge me in what i eat or drink.

when I read that alcohol is meant for those that are ready to perish, na so my hand fall
Quote scripture and i will present it in context.

If a new believer sees brother Titus who preached and led him to Christ in a beer parlour (sipping gently so as not to be drunk) or mall buying Heineken, what do you think the believer will think or do, when the new believer himself was once a drunkard?
The Bible says all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient, and that if eating meat will make a fellow brother stumble, you should refrain from doing such.
Besides, what difference will there be between brother Titus in a beer parlour, and Baba Kamaru, the chronic womaniser and town drunk? I guess he will pray over and bless the beer before drinking?
Now, you are beginning to come around the crux of what the bible teaches which is LOVE! Even though your description is still a bit self oriented and all about your image as a christian, i will explain it here (Pay attention because this was my first teaching when i got born-again and no, it wasn't in any church or taught by any MoG)

1 Corinthians 8:7 (NASB)
However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
1 Corinthians 8:8 (NASB)
But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.
1 Corinthians 8:9 (NASB)
But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
1 Corinthians 8:10 (NASB)
For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol’s temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols?
1 Corinthians 8:11 (NASB)
For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died.
1 Corinthians 8:12 (NASB)
And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
1 Corinthians 8:13 (NASB)
Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.

If you read through that verse at relate it to alcohol you will understand that with God, alcohol is not a matter of sin or not but about not using your liberty or self control with alcohol to cause a younger christian to stumble. Ever wondered why Paul advised Deacons and Bishops against much wine in 1 Timothy and Titus?

Ok, since every word of truth is established by 2 or more witness, here goes the second scripture buttressing my point.

Romans 14:2 (NASB)
One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
Romans 14:3 (NASB)
The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
Romans 14:6 (NASB)
He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
Romans 14:13 (NASB)
Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way.
Romans 14:14 (NASB)
I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Romans 14:15 (NASB)
For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.
Romans 14:16 (NASB)
Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil.

Do you also see that this scripture is talking about love for your brother and not whether you think alcohol is a sin or about your image as a christian? This is what Christ came for, LOVE! Trying to but a tag on alcohol is doing exactly what the pharisees did - to make themselves look holy and righteous.

And by the way, how do you define "much wine", "drunkenness", being "drunk with wine", "perverting justice under the influence of wine"? What exact quantity counts as getting drunk? Research has shown that as little as half a cup or 12 ounces of beer can get a person drunk. Please tell me how the Christian will "guage" the amount of alcohol intake to prevent getting drunk, when one of the characteristics of being drunk is thinking you are not as drunk as you really are?
I believe a little use of 'google' to understand what Wine is made of will do you good. BTW, research has also show that people can get drunk from Coca Cola - help yourself with google if in doubts.
I don't understand what you mean by "gauging the amount of alcohol intake to prevent getting drunk" - how do you gauge the amount of food you require to get full? Why is self-control one of the basis of christian living?

finally, please give me a few instances in the Bible where alcohol paid off and advantages of taking alcohol (knowing that your body already produces enough alcohol that it needs).
Help yourself with google for the advantages - that is not the focus of my discussion! I wonder who made Palm-wine and what it was made for, perhaps, flushing our toilets grin

Some say that Timothy was told by Paul to drink alcohol for his ailment, I ask those what ailment they are trying to ease, and what happened to modern medicines like aspirine in easing such pain.
Very wrong approach to get anyone changed - you should be walking your talk in love.

All in all, I don't think that taking alcohol IN itself is a sin, but that by taking it, you cannot but commit sin. Happy Easter
By eating you can commit the sin. By talking you can also commit sin. I can give more example but i believe you get the message...Happy Easter Brother!
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

I now have Ma. you should read it and ask yourself whether it is possible to drink alcohol and not commit sin.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
ibolomo:

pls show us
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by daftpikin: 6:19pm On Apr 16, 2017
Danpersie31:
On this wonderful eas ter sunday, it keeps pondering in my heart why people select the kind of gospel (message) they want to hear . I mean some people don't want to hear that drinking alcohol is a sin, but tend to compensate by saying drinking is not bad but getting drunk is. The most alarming part is the area of prosperity, people prefer to hear about prosperity than about salvation and heaven and hell. Some people i have asked insist that they are discerning the gospel as stipulated in the bible. Is this therefore discerning the gospel or selecting the gospel? Happy ressurection.

Change the title from discerning spirit
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by luvmijeje(f): 7:18pm On Apr 16, 2017
In my short time in christianity telling people me not to do things I realized is futile effort. I prefer preaching Jesus and hopefully they will have a personal encounter with God.

You can't have personal encounter with Christ and your life will never remain the same. Na you go stop drinking willingly.
Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 10:50pm On Apr 16, 2017
Processor01:

No Sir, that was not Solomon's mother. It was written to a certain King Lemuel, nevertheless, Solomon used same as inspired by God.

Keep in mind that what may be good for you may be very good for me. Looking at that in the light of Romans 14, you are not allowed to judge me in what i eat or drink.

Quote scripture and i will present it in context.

Now, you are beginning to come around the crux of what the bible teaches which is LOVE! Even though your description is still a bit self oriented and all about your image as a christian, i will explain it here (Pay attention because this was my first teaching when i got born-again and no, it wasn't in any church or taught by any MoG)

1 Corinthians 8:7 (NASB)
However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
1 Corinthians 8:8 (NASB)
But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.
1 Corinthians 8:9 (NASB)
But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
1 Corinthians 8:10 (NASB)
For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol’s temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols?
1 Corinthians 8:11 (NASB)
For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died.
1 Corinthians 8:12 (NASB)
And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
1 Corinthians 8:13 (NASB)
Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.

If you read through that verse at relate it to alcohol you will understand that with God, alcohol is not a matter of sin or not but about not using your liberty or self control with alcohol to cause a younger christian to stumble. Ever wondered why Paul advised Deacons and Bishops against much wine in 1 Timothy and Titus?

Ok, since every word of truth is established by 2 or more witness, here goes the second scripture buttressing my point.

Romans 14:2 (NASB)
One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
Romans 14:3 (NASB)
The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
Romans 14:6 (NASB)
He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
Romans 14:13 (NASB)
Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way.
Romans 14:14 (NASB)
I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Romans 14:15 (NASB)
For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.
Romans 14:16 (NASB)
Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil.

Do you also see that this scripture is talking about love for your brother and not whether you think alcohol is a sin or about your image as a christian? This is what Christ came for, LOVE! Trying to but a tag on alcohol is doing exactly what the pharisees did - to make themselves look holy and righteous.

I believe a little use of 'google' to understand what Wine is made of will do you good. BTW, research has also show that people can get drunk from Coca Cola - help yourself with google if in doubts.
I don't understand what you mean by "gauging the amount of alcohol intake to prevent getting drunk" - how do you gauge the amount of food you require to get full? Why is self-control one of the basis of christian living?

Help yourself with google for the advantages - that is not the focus of my discussion! I wonder who made Palm-wine and what it was made for, perhaps, flushing our toilets grin

Very wrong approach to get anyone changed - you should be walking your talk in love.

By eating you can commit the sin. By talking you can also commit sin. I can give more example but i believe you get the message...Happy Easter Brother!
The love for a fellow Christian is the main reason why one should not drink alcohol.
and by the way, King Lemuel spoken of in Proverbs 31 is Solomon, many theological scholars agree on that fact. And the part were the BIble said to give wine to him who is ready to perish is in verse 7 (I think) of the same Proverbs 31.
It was nice having an intellectual conversation with an intelligent person on this platform, it's been a while.
Happy Easter

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by ibolomo(m): 10:54pm On Apr 16, 2017
funmisticqueen:
pls show us
This was what I typed. I guess you didn't go through my other post.

Proverbs 31:1-7.
I once held the belief that alcohol isn't a sin, and by the way, I never said it was. What I said in my original post is that is it not good.
when I read that alcohol is meant for those that are ready to perish, na so my hand fall.
And by the way, how do you define "much wine", "drunkenness", being "drunk with wine", "perverting justice under the influence of wine"? What exact quantity counts as getting drunk? Research has shown that as little as half a cup or 12 ounces of beer can get a person drunk. Please tell me how the Christian will "guage" the amount of alcohol intake to that would be required to make him/her drunk, when one of the characteristics of being drunk is thinking you are not as drunk as you really are?

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 17, 2017
ibolomo:

This was what I typed. I guess you didn't go through my other post.

Proverbs 31:1-7.
And by the way, how do you define "much wine", "drunkenness", being "drunk with wine", "perverting justice under the influence of wine"? What exact quantity counts as getting drunk? Research has shown that as little as half a cup or 12 ounces of beer can get a person drunk. Please tell me how the Christian will "guage" the amount of alcohol intake to that would be required to make him/her drunk, when one of the characteristics of being drunk is thinking you are not as drunk as you really are?

now you are communicating and making yourself clear and i am happy, you raised very valid points and stated where you stand although i would need more scripture than proverbs 31:1-7. But it does depend on the christian, everyone should know their limit. Asking what the advantage of alcohol, is like asking what the advantage of soft drink is, none really but we cant ignore the fact that people take it. If i know 2 bottles of beer would make me drunk, i would only take one. It depends on the person's discpiline and the help of the holy spirit. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Differentiate Between Discerning Spirit And Selective Gospel? by Danpersie31(m): 12:26am On Apr 20, 2017
This doesnt bring room 4 insults, its more like an observation. I live by one rule regarding sin. D bible says he dat knws wat 2do and refuses to do it ,to him is a sin. Nw if u knw u are nt supposed 2 take alcohol,why take it? And if u ve d convinction within u honestly dat taking alcohol is nt bad,den dnt stop it.its dat simple.lets all just try 2 learn from each other and condone evrybody's view.no man is an island of knwledge. Thank u

(1) (2) (Reply)

I regret knowing masturbation / Satanism or Christianity / Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.