Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) (4842 Views)

Poem ; My Country, My Pain / My Country Of Origin Must Be A Better Place In My Life Time / I Am The Change Of My Country Nigeria Not Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 5:57am On Apr 17, 2017
I would like to tell about my country for anyone who is interested and also, it will be appreciated if you tell me about your country in return.❤️
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Epositive(m): 6:32am On Apr 17, 2017
tell me the major tribes in ethiopia?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 6:42am On Apr 17, 2017
Epositive:
what are the major tribes in ethiopia?
Amhara(me)-27%
Oromo-35%
Tigray-6%
Somali-6%
Gurage-3%
Harari-don't know about the percentage
Sidama-4%
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 6:51am On Apr 17, 2017
Epositive:
tell me the major tribes in ethiopia?
Which country are you from?
What are the major tribes in your country(if there are more than one)?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Cyberrex(m): 7:05am On Apr 17, 2017
the food, that's my forte
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by easyhacq(m): 7:15am On Apr 17, 2017
Hati13:
I would like to tell about my country for anyone who is interested and also, it will be appreciated if you tell me about your country in return.❤️
what is the economy rating of your country in relation to other countries in in Africa.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 7:27am On Apr 17, 2017
Cyberrex:
the food, that's my forte
And also it is healthy and most of it is advisable for vegetarians.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Epositive(m): 7:49am On Apr 17, 2017
Hati13:

Which country are you from?
What are the major tribes in your country(if there are more than one)?

NIGERIA cheesy

Hausa

Yoruba

Ibo

they lead, others follow (in terms of population o)
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 17, 2017
easyhacq:
what is the economy rating of your country in relation to other countries in in Africa.
Our economy is the fastest growing economy in Africa(10% growth annually), but we are very poor. Economic growth is different from economic development. Yes, our economic development is increasing and diversifying, but we can achieve more. Most of our economy is dependent on agriculture. Our government is following a economic strategy called AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT LED INDUSTRIALIZION - which means increasing our capital by agriculture and transforming majority of our economy to industry by the capital. My country has huge abundance of different resources and I think we have a good future if we continue like this.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 02, 2017
What is national language ?

What is the general standard of education for primary and secondary school education?

How difficult for UK passport holders to move to your country

How about Nigeria passport holders /citizens

Is African history taught from an African perspective or European perspective as is done in all other African countries that I am aware of.

I considering moving my children to school in Ethiopia boarding school. Their ages 4, 10,12 and 16
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 02, 2017
GenBuhari:
What is national language ?
The De Facto national language is Amharic (belongs to the Semitic family language branch of the Afro-Asiatic super family language)

GenBuhari:
What is the general standard of education for primary and secondary school education?
The curriculum for primary and secondary educations throughout the country are the same. It's mostly presented from the perspectives of Ethiopians, other Africans, Europeans and Indians.

The quality of the education is affected by the teachers type and schools (private vs gov't, private vs private and gov't vs gov't)

Most ppl here associate private schools with high quality education, but in reality it doesn't always match like this.

GenBuhari:
How difficult for UK passport holders to move to your country

How about Nigeria passport holders /citizens
As far as I know, any country passport and visa type holder can easily get here if he/she reason/s is/are accepted by the gov't. In most cases, it will be accepted.

GenBuhari:
Is African history taught from an African perspective or European perspective as is done in all other African countries that I am aware of.

I considering moving my children to school in Ethiopia boarding school. Their ages 4, 10,12 and 16
Ethiopian History to some extent and other African ppl History; especially SubSaharan ppl History are taught from European perspective.

I said to some extent in Ethiopian case, because we have our own writing system and our ancestors had kept written records throughout our History. Some Europeans and Middle Easterns who had visited us or knew about us had also wrote about our History from their perspectives.

History is under Social Studies subject until Grade 9. From Grade 9 to 12, it's taught under it's own distinct subject.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 02, 2017
Thank you.

Very interesting. Surprising that despite having historical writing systems and ancient historical records somehow history is taught from a European perspective.
Would you say that European and Western nations have a lot of influence on the Ethiopian Govt?

So children are taught in in Amharic?

Can children who don't speak Amharic access boarding that teach them in English other African languages

Hati13:

The De Facto national language is Amharic (belongs to the Semitic family language branch of the Afro-Asiatic super family language)

The curriculum for primary and secondary educations throughout the country are the same. It's mostly presented from the perspectives of Ethiopians, other Africans, Europeans and Indians.

The quality of the education is affected by the teachers type and schools (private vs gov't, private vs private and gov't vs gov't)

Most ppl here associate private schools with high quality education, but in reality it doesn't always match like this.

As far as I know, any country passport and visa type holder can easily get here if he/she reason/s is/are accepted by the gov't. In most cases, it will be accepted.

Ethiopian History to some extent and other African ppl History; especially SubSaharan ppl History are taught from European perspective.

I said to some extent in Ethiopian case, because we have our own writing system and our ancestors had kept written records throughout our History. Some Europeans and Middle Easterns who had visited us or knew about us had also wrote about our History from their perspectives.

History is under Social Studies subject until Grade 9. From Grade 9 to 12, it's taught under it's own distinct subject.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 11:36pm On Sep 02, 2017
GenBuhari:
Thank you.

Very interesting. Surprising that despite having historical writing systems and ancient historical records somehow history is taught from a European perspective.
But it's also taught from native perspective (Ethiopians and other Africans).

GenBuhari:
Would you say that European and Western nations have a lot of influence on the Ethiopian Govt?
Yes, I will say. It's because we are poor country and depends on Western aides and when they give us help

GenBuhari:
So children are taught in in Amharic?

Can children who don't speak Amharic access boarding that teach them in English other African languages[/quote]
From lower grade up to 6 grade, people in Addis Ababa, Dire Dawa and in regions like Amhara, Gambela, Benishungul-Gumzas and Southern people learn using Amharic for all subjects and also take English subject.
From grade 7 up to end of university, all subjects other than Amharic are taught using English.

From lower grade up to 6 grade, People in regions like Tigray, Afar, Oromia and Somalia learn using their respective languages for all subjects and also take English subject.
From grade 7 up to end of university, it's the same like the above.

Federal States (Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa) and Regional states map in Ethiopia

Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by PurestBoy(m): 11:27am On Sep 03, 2017
Hati13:

How many hours of electricity do you enjoy daily and what's the crime rate like in Ethiopia?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2017
PurestBoy:

How many hours of electricity do you enjoy daily and what's the crime rate like in Ethiopia?
Electricity is a huge problem here. The magnitude of the problem varies from place to place and time to time. For example, I live in Bole, Addis Ababa and we have about 20 hours a day electricity on average. In other places, it's mostly worse.

The crime rate here is relatively less compared to other countries in Africa or even in the world. Small crimes like steeling pocket money are present in large, but big crimes like killing and rapping is less. There were an uprising against Gov't in Oromia and Amhara regions for the last 2 years and there were huge destruction in property and human resources. About 500-600 hundreds of ppl were killed in those 2 regions; especially in Oromia region.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Cuddlebugie(f): 6:05pm On Sep 03, 2017
Two years ago, I wrote a term paper on poetry from the horns of Africa and since then, I've been fascinated with the country. Visiting Ethiopia is on my bucket list.....

How true is the story that Ethiopia is the home to King Solomon's vast stashes of gold?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 03, 2017
Cuddlebugie:
Two years ago, I wrote a term paper on poetry from the horns of Africa and since then, I've been fascinated with the country. Visiting Ethiopia is on my bucket list.....

How true is the story that Ethiopia is the home to King Solomon's vast stashes of gold?
The country that we know as Ethiopia now wasn't the country or area that the Bible and pre-4th century AD talks about.

Nubians and Cushite ppl in Ancient north Sudan were the proper Ethiopians not the present day so called Ethiopians.

Ethiopia is a Greek word which means "burnt face or black".

After King Ezana of Axumite destroyed the Kush civilization of Sudan in the 4th century AD, he adopted the name "Ethiopia" for his kingdom. From that time on, the present day northern Ethiopia started to be exchangeably known as:-
- Ethiopia or
- Habesha/Abesha or
- Abysinnia (Latinized from of Abesha)

Coming to your question, the present day Ethiopia had nothing to do with King Solomon of Israel or Queen of Sheba. It's a myth. So, this also means the connection between King Solomon vast stashes of gold and the know Ethiopia is a myth too.
The then Ethiopia of ancient times may have connections with them, but I believe it's a myth too if ppl believe they have.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Cuddlebugie(f): 8:12pm On Sep 03, 2017
Hati13:

The country that we know as Ethiopia now wasn't the country or area that the Bible and pre-4th century AD talks about.

Nubians and Cushite ppl in Ancient north Sudan were the proper Ethiopians not the present day so called Ethiopians.

Ethiopia is a Greek word which means "burnt face or black".

After King Ezana of Axumite destroyed the Kush civilization of Sudan in the 4th century AD, he adopted the name "Ethiopia" for his kingdom. From that time on, the present day northern Ethiopia started to be exchangeably known as:-
- Ethiopia or
- Habesha/Abesha or
- Abysinnia (Latinized from of Abesha)

Coming to your question, the present day Ethiopia had nothing to do with King Solomon of Israel or Queen of Sheba. It's a myth. So, this also means the connection between King Solomon vast stashes of gold and the know Ethiopia is a myth too.
The then Ethiopia of ancient times may have connections with them, but I believe it's a myth too if ppl believe they have.
Truly, one shouldn't believe everything he/she reads on the internet. Thanks for explaining............

It's on Wiki that Ethiopia is the only country in the world to have 13 months in a year and the New Year is celebrated in September, meaning the country is YEARS behind other countries. So, what year are you in Ethiopia and is there an explanation for why time is counted on the opposite side of the clock?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 03, 2017
Cuddlebugie:
Truly, one shouldn't believe everything he/she reads on the internet. Thanks for explaining............

It's on Wiki that Ethiopia is the only country in the world to have 13 months in a year and the New Year is celebrated in September, meaning the country is YEARS behind other countries. So, what year are you in Ethiopia and is there an explanation for why time is counted on the opposite side of the clock?
Egyptian Coptic churche also follow a 13 month yearly calendar, but there is other difference between the 2.

We are in year 2009. Today is 28/12/2009, so in 8 days we will going to celebrate our new year (2010). We have our name for our months.

Our time counting is different from the typical counting, but I don't understand by your saying "on the opposite side of the clock".
We Ethiopians believe that the day begins in morning 12 (6 AM), but now the government and other institutions are associating the typical 6 midnight (00 AM) with new day beginning.

We count time in 12 hours formate. For example, 1 hour can both be in the morning or night.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by qeemus: 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2017
Nice thread. How is the standard of living for people working with international organizations,african union for instance. What is the weather like,also what is the social life like.Are there night clubs and bars?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2017
qeemus:
Nice thread. How is the standard of living for people working with international organizations,african union for instance.
They live a good standard of lives. Their salaries/wages are in Dollar I guess, so I'm pretty sure they live a great life. Bole town, Addis Abeba is very famous place for foreigners and Addis Abebans also.

qeemus:

What is the weather like,also what is the social life like.Are there night clubs and bars?
The weather of highland Ethiopia is really great; especially here in Addis Abeba (2400 meters above sea level and the 4th highest capital city in the world).

The social life is also great. Ethiopians for the most part say "WE" not "ME".

Night clubs and bars are popular in urban areas of Ethiopia, but this isn't something to be proud of. Prostitution is becoming a major problem in urban areas like Addis Abeba, Mekele and some others. There are about 130,000-150,000 prostitutes in Addis alone and because of this the city is by some called the capital prostitution of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by epospiky(m): 1:08pm On Oct 22, 2017
it is said that you were not colonized. How did you grow up to realized the basic things you need like electricity, hospital, schools and so on, which are as as a result of civilization and how did you feel the effects on not being colonized?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 22, 2017
epospiky:
it is said that you were not colonized. How did you grow up to realized the basic things you need like electricity, hospital, schools and so on, which are as as a result of civilization and how did you feel the effects on not being colonized?
Ethiopia has a long diplomatic and trade relations with the outside world for a very long time. Emperor Tewodros II (1855-68 GC) tried to modernize the country, but constant rebellion forced him to give less time on modernizing the country. However Emperor Menelik II (1889-1913 GC) seceded in this after the battle of Adwa. He was the 1st African to drive a car. He opened the 1st African bank in Ethiopia by the name "Abysinnia". Postal service, hotels, hospitals, railroad, modern school by the name "Menelik II", electricity, telephone and some others were introduced/built.

Ethiopia has a 3000 years civilization (older than the 1st civilization in Europe, Greek-700s BC).

Because of not be colonized, our diverse cultures are ancient. We officially speak our own languages, write with our own alphabet, follow our own calendar, most of the Christians follow the Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, the Ethiopian Bible is the oldest in the world and is written in our Geez (Ethiopic) and Amharic language/alphabet. Ethiopia is a very conservative country with ancient cultures.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by epospiky(m): 9:17pm On Oct 22, 2017
Hati13:

Ethiopia has a long diplomatic and trade relations with the outside world for a very long time. Emperor Tewodros II (1855-68 GC) tried to modernize the country, but constant rebellion forced him to give less time on modernizing the country. However Emperor Menelik II (1889-1913 GC) seceded in this after the battle of Adwa. He was the 1st African to drive a car. He opened the 1st African bank in Ethiopia by the name "Abysinnia". Postal service, hotels, hospitals, railroad, modern school by the name "Menelik II", electricity, telephone and some others were introduced/built.

Ethiopia has a 3000 years civilization (older than the 1st civilization in Europe, Greek-700s BC).

Because of not be colonized, our diverse cultures are ancient. We officially speak our own languages, write with our own alphabet, follow our own calendar, most of the Christians follow the Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, the Ethiopian Bible is the oldest in the world and is written in our Geez (Ethiopic) and Amharic language/alphabet. Ethiopia is a very conservative country with ancient cultures.

impressive!
How is your system of government like?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
epospiky:

impressive!
How is your system of government like?
Our current government follows a Federalism system based on ethnicity. There are 9 regions and 2 administrative states.

Ethiopia is home to more than 80 district ethnic groups, but only the main 9 ethnics are used for this system. They:-
- Tigray
- Afar
- Amhara
- Oromo
- Benishanguel-Gumza
- Gambrla
- Harari
- Ethio-Somali
- South Nations, Nationalities and Peoples

The 2 administrative states are:-
- Addis Abeba
- Dire Dawa

Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by epospiky(m): 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2017
Hati13:

Our current government follows a Federalism system based on ethnicity. There are 9 regions and 2 administrative states.

Ethiopia is home to more than 80 district ethnic groups, but only the main 9 ethnics are used for this system. They:-
- Tigray
- Afar
- Amhara
- Oromo
- Benishanguel-Gumza
- Gambrla
- Harari
- Ethio-Somali
- South Nations, Nationalities and Peoples

The 2 administrative states are:-
- Addis Abeba
- Dire Dawa
Good.
On the scale of 1-5 how would you rate your government?
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 24, 2017
epospiky:

Good.
On the scale of 1-5 how would you rate your government?
2 or 2.5
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 12:14am On Jan 05, 2018
What year are you in now?
Can you teach me geez
Can you introduce me to an Ethiopian girl my age grin
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 05, 2018
jupiterx:
What year are you in now?

jupiterx:

Can you teach me geez
Sorry, I can't speak Geez.

jupiterx:

Can you introduce me to an Ethiopian girl my age grin
I think it's better if you try yourself to connect via online.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 3:09am On Jan 05, 2018
Are you serious about the year? 2010!!
Oh! 27 Tahsas 2010 Now I understand.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 3:52am On Jan 05, 2018
Hati13:

Sorry, I can't speak Geez.

I think it's better if you try yourself to connect via online.
do you have a forum such as Nairaland.
Re: Ask Me Anything You Want About My Country (Ethiopia) by Nobody: 4:32am On Jan 05, 2018
Damarislopez:
do you have a forum such as Nairaland.
Ethiopia don't have a forum like this. Nairaland is a first class forum, so I don't think we could even establish like this in the near future.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nland Cult:"so Called Founding Fathers Who Run Rackets In Nairaland. . .e.g Odia / Word Game / If You Were Given An Opportunity To Be Invisible For 1hr Wat Wud U Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.